PDA

View Full Version : "Authorized" Atheist Symbol

VulcanWay
20th December 2007, 12:04 PM
I was reading an article (http://wonkette.com/politics/satan/witch-soldier-finally-gets-occult-symbol-on-his-grave-220163.php) about how just recently a soldier who died last year ago finally had his religious symbol put on his marker - the Wiccan pentacle.

There was a link on that page referencing that the Pentagon has allowed many non-Christan symbols to be represented on such markers...to include Atheists.

I wasn't aware that we had a symbol, but if you go HERE (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/funeral_information/authorized_emblems.html) we're number 16. It's an "A" surrounded by two electron paths like in an atom model.

Does that make us helium??

Piscivore
20th December 2007, 12:17 PM
Where is the Discordian apple? :mad:

Sefarst
20th December 2007, 12:23 PM
But I thought there were no atheists in foxholes?

I would rather not have a symbol at all, I think having a symbol feeds into people's beliefs that we're just another sect.

El Greco
20th December 2007, 12:29 PM
I wasn't aware that we had a symbol, but if you go HERE (http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/funeral_information/authorized_emblems.html) we're number 16. It's an "A" surrounded by two electron paths like in an atom model.

Looks like three electron paths to me. Which would make us lithium. Very appropriate, since lithium is used in the treatment of bipolar disorders like God-Satan, Heaven-Hell, etc.

Fnord
20th December 2007, 12:35 PM
Nothing for FSM and Jedi? Someone should complain.

tsg
20th December 2007, 01:03 PM
It looks like the logo for the Springfield Isotopes.

I prefer mine were left blank.

MrQhuest
20th December 2007, 01:27 PM
I'm trying to figure out why the Christian Science(97) and Muslim 5 pointed star(98) symbols are not shown on a government website due to copyright reasons. Why have a symbol if you can't show people what it is?

MrQhuest

Fnord
20th December 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to figure out why the Christian Science(97) and Muslim 5 pointed star(98) symbols are not shown on a government website due to copyright reasons. Why have a symbol if you can't show people what it is?

MrQhuest

They can be shown provided the government gets permission from the copyright owner and maybe pays a hefty fee.

Maybe the GAO is concerned that secularists would object to the government paying a religious organization for its services?

:con2:

Foster Zygote
20th December 2007, 01:41 PM

Me too.

triadboy
20th December 2007, 01:53 PM
I'd like mine to be a universally recognized symbol; something pleasant, but bold.

(All I can think of is a sausage.)

Foster Zygote
20th December 2007, 01:54 PM
I'd like mine to be a universally recognized symbol; something pleasant, but bold.

(All I can think of is a sausage.)

Or a corn-dog?

triadboy
20th December 2007, 02:39 PM
... a universally recognized symbol; something pleasant....

...corn-dog?

Doesn't a corndog seem too painful to you? Being nailed on a cross and being impaled by a 7-foot popcicle stick both wind up feeling the same in the end. I guess it's true what they say about corndogs being the saddest fruit.

Piscivore
20th December 2007, 02:56 PM
It looks like the logo for the Springfield Isotopes.

"This epitaph intentionally left blank" :)

tsg
20th December 2007, 03:05 PM
"This epitaph intentionally left blank" :)

No, I have left clear instructions for my epitaph: "I never liked you."

Gord_in_Toronto
20th December 2007, 03:37 PM
Me too.

They (whoever "They" might be -- though I do have a fairly good idea who will make the decision) can do whatever the **** they want. I'll be DEAD at the time and in no position to give a flying ****.

Excuse my language and all that. :D

petra10
20th December 2007, 03:49 PM
I dont think atheists should have a symbol. I mean how can you symbolise that you dont believe in god. Who decided on the symbol anyway?

If there was to be one it should be a picture of Victor Meldrew, "I dont believe it" :)

Piscivore
20th December 2007, 04:00 PM
Wait a minute... isn't the symbol described the logo of American Atheists, a political group? Wouldn't the use of a political symbol as a religious symbol in a federal cemetary violate separation? Someone would certainly raise a stink if the National Cathedral started sporting elephant banners all of a sudden.

Achán hiNidráne
20th December 2007, 04:06 PM
I always thought the "atom" symbol was sort of silly. Is it the symbol for atheism, or the Church of George Jetson?

We're atheists for ---- sake. We don't need any stinking symbols.

drzeus99
20th December 2007, 06:04 PM
I guess if I had to choose a symbol, it would be "The Finger"
(view of hand from intended party's POV), as an expression
saying F religion and F all your silly symbols that are so important to you.

Oh, while checking out the list of symbols from the link in the OP,
I saw that there was no scientology symbol. Don't they have their own
Hubbard created symbol to further dupe the folks that fall for this ridiculous
nonsense.

On a side note: I personally think Scientology is the most absurd religion ever
thought up in the human mind. I often ask myself if I purposely wanted to create
the most unbelievable religion, and had to put lots of details in it, could I even
think of something more absurd than what L. Ron has fantasized in his mind?

I dunno. Other that including 2 headed shaved monkeys that fly, and telling people
that in order to reach god's ears they needed to simply repeat, out loud, as loud
as they could, the following phrase 5X, as fast as they could manage to say it:
OH WATTA GOO SIAM, I don't think I could do something as insane as what L. Ron did,
and STILL have thousands of people worldwide ACTUALLY believe it.

What really boggles my mind is the whole scientology "space opera", an explanation
of the history of the universe and the actions that took place at various dates and times in its history.

For those who aren't really knowledgable on the finely detailed stories that scientology
professes concerning the history of the universe and the different alien civilizations
that flourished in the past and caused some major problem, for a primer, I'd highly
recommend the wiki section on the whole scientology "space opera" saga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera_in_Scientology_scripture

I'd pay special attention to the section called:
"Scientology's History Of The Universe"

It literally will blow your mind. And please, when reading the bullet pointed chronological history of the universe, DO NOT pass up the chance to read the detailed events of
each of this incidents in the early universe. Each bullet point states a date in time,
or era in time, and says what occured at that time. They each have a link that'll
bring you to another page to explain exactly what that situation entailed.

For pure outlandishness, make special note of a few events and read further into
them. You'll be flabbergasted, flumoxed, shaking your head back and forth saying
"You GOTTA be kidding me, right" I mean, this IS a joke, no" But sadly they're not
meant to be. Incidents to read further on are:

Aircraft Door Goals - Bear Goals - Body Builder Incident - Heaven Implants
Invisible Picture Goals - Obscene Dog Incident - Jack In The Box - R6 Implants
Train Goals - and my all time favorite: Gorilla Goals.

Here's the link to the wiki page that also lists (and briefly explains) these events:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_%28Scientology%29#Key_Incidents

One of the things I found to be the most hilarious aspect of scientology is when
L. Ron is explaining all these events. Coincidently, I guess, some of these ET civilizations
look, dress, speak, and use the same technologies of people from the 1940's and 1950's of earth's history. They have spaceships that look exactly like the aircraft at the
time L. Ron concocted this fiasco. He also went to (I believe..if not, he at least "saw")
one ET civilization that looked like the mirror image of 1940's (or 1950's) USA. They
also dressed exactly the same and even had the exact same style of music..

I can go on forever about this, but I'll stop here. It's been a couple of years since
I last did a complete reading of everything scientology is about, so my memory isn't
that great on specific incidents (of the "incidents"). But I know I got lots of my info
directly from the wiki sites on scientology, and after clicking just about every link
from the first main scientology page, it brought me to other wiki pages that gave
more detail, and then I clicked all those links, and so on. There's a TON of great,
eye opening (to the uninitiated) info on scientology just on the wiki pages. It probably took me about a week to go through them all, but after I did, I REALLY knew what
this was all about.

Oh, your average scientologist isn't even made aware of MUCH of the info that's out there. Only as your progress up through the different scientology levels, known as
Operating Thetan (OT l - OT VIII ...and even beyond) are you made aware of bits
and pieces of this. And of course, it costs you lots of dough to move up each level.

Sorry to go Off Topic. End of rant.

Foster Zygote
20th December 2007, 07:01 PM
The "Hoipolloi" eh? Are they related to the "Averageidiots"?

triadboy
20th December 2007, 07:07 PM

"Stinking symbols"! Instead of a visual symbol - Atheism will have an odor! Like...anytime you smell coffee, you think about non-belief. Great marketing idea.

Marquis de Carabas
20th December 2007, 07:40 PM
Here's my atheist symbol:

Sorry it's so big. I'm a little showy, I guess.

drzeus99
20th December 2007, 07:45 PM

Can we at least get badges then? ;)

bokonon
20th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Can we at least get badges then? ;)
We don't need no stinkin' gods. We got BADGES!

Pope130
20th December 2007, 09:36 PM
I'm an agnostic, can I have a question mark?

And since we're talking about epitaphs, my favorite: "I told you I was sick!"

Robert

UnrepentantSinner
20th December 2007, 11:10 PM
There was a link on that page referencing that the Pentagon has allowed many non-Christan symbols to be represented on such markers...to include Atheists.

Actually it's the VA that makes determinations about grave markers for federal cemetaries since they are the ones who run them.

I'm not sure how the AA symbol was chosen for atheists, but my guess would be a military atheist who was also an AA member pressed for it's usage.

I've got a photo of grave near my dad's with the symbol on it, but I don't think I have it on my hard drive at work currently.

Beerina
21st December 2007, 07:56 AM
I was reading an article (http://wonkette.com/politics/satan/witch-soldier-finally-gets-occult-symbol-on-his-grave-220163.php) about how just recently a soldier who died last year ago finally had his religious symbol put on his marker - the Wiccan pentacle.

As the athiest symbol above my grave, I'd want that little joke windmill where the farmer is nailing his ample, bent over farmwife.

grayman
21st December 2007, 08:04 AM
We don't need no stinkin' gods. We got BADGES!

We don't need no stinkin' BADGERS:

aKIAn2UlAX4

bignickel
21st December 2007, 09:24 AM
Where's the Anglican's symbol? Or are they known by a different name?

More importantly: where the heck is the Flying Spaghetti Monster's symbol?!
This is a clear insult to the followers of His Noodley Goodness...

AgeGap
22nd December 2007, 06:52 PM
How about the Playboy bunny? It says we are not afraid to go against convention and we are here because of basic evolutionary instinct and not a divine power.

Foster Zygote
22nd December 2007, 06:59 PM
Where's the Anglican's symbol? Or are they known by a different name?

I think it's a cup of tea and some crumpets.