PDA

View Full Version : Man-eating lions dine on ecotourists

subgenius
13th February 2003, 12:41 PM
By John Von Radowitz, Evening Standard
13 February 2003
Ecotourists are helping nature in an unexpected way - by becoming "fast food of the bush" for man-eating lions, it was claimed today.

Reports of lions eating humans are increasing in Africa, and one reason may be more tourists camping on the big cats' doorstep.

http://www.thisislondon.com/news/articles/3376461?source=Evening%20Standard

Just loved the headline.:D

Skeptical Greg
13th February 2003, 02:28 PM
"The most famous attack on humans occurred in 1898 when two lions terrorised railway workers building a bridge over Kenya's Tsavo River, killing and eating nearly 30 people."

Nearly 30? ..:confused: WTF

Pretty good movie too..

Hypocolius
13th February 2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Diogenes
"The most famous attack on humans occurred in 1898 when two lions terrorised railway workers building a bridge over Kenya's Tsavo River, killing and eating nearly 30 people."

Nearly 30? ..:confused: WTF

Pretty good movie too..

I thought the movie was awful, and so far from the book (typical Brit stiff-upper-lip type thing) that it might as well have been a different story.

As to the scorecard, 30 is not bad for Africa, but India is the real leader here. A tigress in Champawat killed over 430 people (I think during the 1930's, however the author of the books which describe his hunting of a series of man-eaters, Jim Corbett, is infuriatingly imprecise about dates.).

The Central Scrutinizer
13th February 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Hypocolius

I thought the movie was awful, and so far from the book (typical Brit stiff-upper-lip type thing) that it might as well have been a different story.

As to the scorecard, 30 is not bad for Africa, but India is the real leader here. A tigress in Champawat killed over 430 people (I think during the 1930's, however the author of the books which describe his hunting of a series of man-eaters, Jim Corbett, is infuriatingly imprecise about dates.).

What movie????