PDA

View Full Version : Ice cube warning

arcticpenguin
24th September 2003, 07:46 AM
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,7361585%255E1702,00.html

Health officials are warning against the use of ice cubes.

DRUG and medical experts have issued a warning following evidence that would-be first aiders have been using ice cube "enemas" to revive people from drug overdoses.

Experts say putting ice cubes up the rectums of unconscious people has no physiological benefit and can even lead to seizures and stroke.

According to Paul Dillon, research officer with the National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC), some people have been attempting to insert ice cubes into the anuses of friends who have become unconscious after taking the party drug GHB in the mistaken belief that it will revive them.

Marquis de Carabas
24th September 2003, 12:13 PM
At least some people's friends are kind enough to wait until they're unconscious.

malaka
24th September 2003, 12:35 PM
Shucks. I was about to use my novelty, plastic "ice cube with fly" for a good laugh.

Psi Baba
24th September 2003, 12:45 PM
I hope they're at least merciful enough to use those cylindrical kind that often come out of motel ice machines, rather than actual ice cube tray style cubes!

Eos of the Eons
24th September 2003, 08:02 PM
LOL!

"Some of the people doing this should know better and should not pretend to be trained medical professionals."

Yeah, like that's ('knowing better') going to stop people from trying 'remedies', especially drunk and or high people.

Ladewig
24th September 2003, 08:14 PM
I think the whole idea would make a great anti-drug campaign:
"These are your friends.
These are your friends on drugs while you are passed out.
Any questions?"

So when these "Experts say [that] putting ice cubes up the rectums of unconscious people has no physiological benefit," are they basing that on the result of scientific double-blind tests? If so then I have another nomination for "worst science job."

Eos of the Eons
24th September 2003, 08:17 PM
:D Thanks for that!

Jon_in_london
25th September 2003, 05:30 AM
Does this mean I will have to give up shoving ice-cubes up my but on saturday night?

Why is this harmfull though... specifiaclly......

Goshawk
25th September 2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Jon_in_london
Why is this harmfull though... specifiaclly......
From further down in the article:

Quoted in the gay community newspaper the Sydney Star Observer, Dr Caldicott said putting an object into the rectum of someone not expecting it could cause a "vagal" reaction.

This occurs when the vagus nerve, which slows the heart, is activated.

On top of the blood pressure-lowering effects of GBH, a vagal reaction can potentially stop blood flow to the brain.

Googling "vagal reaction"...

http://www.gayhealth.com/iowa-robot/network/ask/?record=132
Q: I am a nursing student who recently learned about the vagus nerve in the anus. I was taught to use caution when inserting the finger into the anus (ie: to remove impactions) because it might cause stimulation of this nerve, which could lead to problems with the heart. I was told that it can disrupt the electrical activity of the heart and could even make the heart stop. Should this be a concern for gay men? Are we placing ourselves in some type of danger by inserting toys, fingers and penises into ourselves?

A: You raise a very interesting point and one that all of us in healthcare face. We hear things in school or from colleagues and we immediately worry how they will impact our everyday lives. It is true that the vagus nerve does run from your anal area through your intestines to your heart and brain. When stimulated, it can slow your heart and make you feel like you will pass out and get nauseous. (This reaction is called vaso/vagal, in medical terminology). I have not heard of this reaction happening, thought it could theoretically occur in someone who is forced to have sex. We usually see this type of reaction in a doctor's office or other less romantic settings where patients feel anxious to begin with. When they feel pain in the anal area, they can get a vaso/vagal reaction.

I would not worry about it occurring in your bedroom, as long as you are not hurting your partner and he is not resisting during sex. If you do notice your partner getting lightheaded, stop immediately. The feeling should pass in a moment or two, unless he is on drugs.
Bolding mine.

uneasy
25th September 2003, 06:41 AM
vagus nerve and vagus reaction?
Do accupuncturists know about this? :)
I hope not.

Crossbow
25th September 2003, 06:47 AM
Gee whiz! Does that mean that people should no longer hook up their butt to the 'Slurpee' machine at the 7-11?

:p

Eos of the Eons
25th September 2003, 09:13 PM
Ewww, I'm only buying slurpees from the Mac's store from now on! :roll:

Yahweh
25th September 2003, 09:21 PM
DRUG and medical experts have issued a warning following evidence that would-be first aiders have been using ice cube "enemas" to revive people from drug overdoses.
Ok, I guess I'll have to try my hardest to hold back my primary gut instincts, no longer will I try to revive the unconscious by shoving icecubes up their ass...

Who shoves icecubes up another person's ass to wake them up!?! Hey, while yer at it, kick them in the ribs and steal their wallet you sadistic bastards...

a_unique_person
25th September 2003, 10:58 PM
I find it rarely causes fatalities, and usually works quite well. Why all the the fuss?

rockoon
26th September 2003, 12:54 AM
"When I wake up in the morning, I just can't get started until I've had that first, piping hot pot of coffee. Oh, I've tried other enemas..." - Emo

Dragonrock
26th September 2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by a_unique_person
I find it rarely causes fatalities, and usually works quite well. Why all the the fuss?

I know what you mean AUP, all anyone ever remembers is that one guy who had the seizure which led to a stroke and then he died on your kitchen floor and the muscular contractions from the seizure gripped your finger so tightly that you couldn't get it out and the cops show up and there you are, coke all over your nose with your finger stuck it the butt of a dead man.

Geeze, you think they'd remember the good times....

Crossbow
26th September 2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Eos of the Eons
Ewww, I'm only buying slurpees from the Mac's store from now on! :roll:

Too right!

Until the Surgeon General starts putting up warning signs on those evil chrushed ice drink machines I will just say 'NO!'.

:roll:

DaChew
26th September 2003, 10:44 AM
People please! A little critical thinking if you don't mind!!!

Somebody passes out and you get caught shoving stuff up their ass. What else are you going to say? "I was trying to revive them." That's exactly what I would say too.

On the other hand, it's a bit evolutionary I suppose. You've got ice in its natural cube form and you have the asses of passed out people in close proximity to one another. Let's face it, they were bound to come together eventually.

What's the matter with a nice cool towel on the forhead boy? You don't just go stampeding to the anus at the first sign of somebody nodding off.

Eos of the Eons
26th September 2003, 06:23 PM
ROFLMAO!!! Keep it coming! This comedy relief is very appreciated!

Quixote
26th September 2003, 07:26 PM
I'm trying to imagine what purpose is served by the vagus nerve. Looking at it from an evolutionary standpoint, it seems to me that a decreased heart rate is the last thing you'd want when something's being shoved up you ass.

Eos of the Eons
26th September 2003, 07:48 PM
:eek:

***dies laughing****

Are you so sure? I wouldn't mind losing consciousness in that case....

Maybe your flight/fight response would kick in before that though? At least if you weren't drunk/high...

:roll:

Dragonrock
27th September 2003, 09:56 AM
The fact that this thread exists is proof that Hal is out.

Now people, let's clean it up without having to be told, get you heads out of your asses, quit playing grab-ass and straighten up!

Boo
27th September 2003, 10:09 AM
I always have thought of the vagus nerve as a joke of nature played on man, kinda like the platypus. Ok, here ya go, one nerve connects the a** to the heart. Enjoy.:D

Boo

Eos of the Eons
27th September 2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Dragonrock
The fact that this thread exists is proof that Hal is out.

Now people, let's clean it up without having to be told, get you heads out of your asses, quit playing grab-ass and straighten up!

no no no, It's get 'you ice out of your asses' :roll:

Hal isn't so uptight is he? What's "playing grab ass?" :confused:

I am straightened up...haven't had a good night of drunken stupidity in 10 years. Sighs. Let us have this one ridiculous thread and the only silly fun one can get in their boring simple lives eh?

Eos of the Eons
27th September 2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Boo
I always have thought of the vagus nerve as a joke of nature played on man, kinda like the platypus. Ok, here ya go, one nerve connects the a** to the heart. Enjoy.:D

Boo

:roll: Cute!

RSLancastr
28th September 2003, 02:04 PM
I have reported this thread, as it is in violation of the "No revealing how magic tricks are performed."

Hmmm. Here are some props:

(Note: the following links lead to images which may shock those of you who are easily disturbed by images of penis-shaped ice cubes)

http://www.passion-toys.com/p3h.html

http://www.eroticimpact.com/mall/PRpa%20PDPD517.ASP

Eos of the Eons
28th September 2003, 03:45 PM
What magic tricks?

BPSCG
29th September 2003, 09:28 AM
What I want to know is, what was the line of reasoning that led to this in the first place? I mean, what came between, "My God, he's passed out!" and "Better pull his shorts down and jam some ice cubes up his butt!"?

Do you think there was alcohol involved?

Deetee
29th September 2003, 09:43 AM
I always ensure that the anal probes I use are warmed to human core body temperature (this follows from a few unfortunate accidents back in the Roswell days when we used iridium-tellurium alloy probes at 200 degrees K)

Some of you humans now like the probes so much that you can be trained to perform tricks just to receive this reward. Our scientists are still analysing the evolutionary origins of this strange behavioural adaptation.

Sundog
29th September 2003, 09:46 AM
Cher probably did it once to somebody for fun, and then someone else probably assumed she was saving yet another junkie's life... voila, urban legend.

Crossbow
29th September 2003, 09:57 AM
Let us all remember the original issue here gang!

Ice cube enemas are not a cure for drug overdose, instead
Ice cube enemas should be used to prevent drug overdoses.

After all, who would be willing to ingest anything once the ice cubes have been properly "placed"?

DaChew
29th September 2003, 12:19 PM
Let us all remember the original issue here gang!

Right!

Ice Cube Enemas would be a cool name for a rock band.

arcticpenguin
29th September 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Sundog
Cher probably did it once to somebody for fun, and then someone else probably assumed she was saving yet another junkie's life... voila, urban legend.
That reminds of this news item I jsut ran across:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=2&u=/nm/20030929/od_nm/odd_germany_addict_dc

BERLIN (Reuters) - Race medics at the Berlin marathon saved the life of a collapsed heroin addict when they mistook him for a competitor.

The head of the marathon's medical team said on Monday some of his doctors found and resuscitated a 40-year-old man wearing a numbered race bib who had collapsed on a public transport rail platform at the 37-km mark of the 42-km (26 mile) marathon.

"It turned out he was a heroin addict," said race doctor Willi Heepe, whose team of 100 doctors oversaw Sunday's race.

"He smelled of alcohol, but he was wearing running shoes. We thought he was a runner. The Berlin marathon probably saved his life."

Berlin's public transport system lets marathoners ride for free on race day to encourage the some 35,000 runners to avoid driving.

arcticpenguin
29th September 2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by BPSCG
What I want to know is, what was the line of reasoning that led to this in the first place? I mean, what came between, "My God, he's passed out!" and "Better pull his shorts down and jam some ice cubes up his butt!"?

Do you think there was alcohol involved?
Ice cubes and alcohol do go together.

Quixote
29th September 2003, 04:35 PM
"He smelled of alcohol, but he was wearing running shoes. We thought he was a runner. The Berlin marathon probably saved his life."

So, if he hadn't been wearing a race bib and running shoes, they would have let him die? I realize that, had the marathon had not been going on, those medics would not have been there. But why did they go on at length about mistaking him for a racer?

RSLancastr
29th September 2003, 06:04 PM
What magic tricks? The Incredible Vanishing Ice Cubes trick.

RSLancastr
29th September 2003, 06:05 PM
"Wrecked him? Damn near froze him!"

Deetee
30th September 2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Quixote

So, if he hadn't been wearing a race bib and running shoes, they would have let him die? I realize that, had the marathon had not been going on, those medics would not have been there. But why did they go on at length about mistaking him for a racer?

He was just catching a free ride, pretending he was in the race, hence the running gear. Having extra medics close at hand because of the race meant he got prompt attention from them when in normal circumstances there wouldn't have been any handy.

Dragonrock
30th September 2003, 06:30 AM
What's "playing grab ass?" :confused:

"Playing grab ass" is a military expression for a group of people standing around wasting time.

Crossbow
30th September 2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Dragonrock

"Playing grab ass" is a military expression for a group of people standing around wasting time.

Oh really?

Mr. Garrison on South Park had a different interpetation of the term.

Eos of the Eons
30th September 2003, 05:38 PM
Who's standing around? And yeah, this is how I like to waste valuable down time-joking around. Hey, it's the only fun I get in a day :p