PDA

View Full Version : Affirmative cookie sale shut down...

Jon_in_london
26th September 2003, 12:51 AM
News of the Bizarre!

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/sns-ap-bake-sale-protest,0,5768770,print.story?coll=sns-ap-nation-headlines

DALLAS -- Southern Methodist University shut down a bake sale Wednesday in which cookies were offered for sale at different prices, depending on the buyer's race or gender.

A sign said white males had to pay $1 for a cookie. The price was 75 cents for white women, 50 cents for Hispanics and 25 cents for blacks

They sold three cookies at $1.50..

thats one white and two blacks, or is it three hispanics..?
this could either be a joke or a high school maths problem!

BillyTK
26th September 2003, 01:35 AM
That's just pc gone mad, and another example of how government intrusion and regulation is destroying the profitability of industry and the entrepreneurial spirit of enterprising individuals! Let the market decide if this sort of practice is acceptable or not!

Zep
26th September 2003, 03:48 AM
Better selling cookies than selling the people themselves...

Some Friggin Guy
26th September 2003, 04:15 AM

SOYLENT GREEN....IT'S PEOPLE!!!!

Jon_in_london
26th September 2003, 04:32 AM
ok, someone has to let me in on this..WTF IS SOYLENT GREEN!!!!!

Some Friggin Guy
26th September 2003, 04:47 AM
:eek:

Okay, brief rundown on Soylent Green. It is a Charlton Heston movie (possibly based on a book, I don't know.)

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

In the future, the earth's population has out grown it's resources, specifically food. Then, someone begins producing a food called Soylent Green. (If I recall, it's kind of a cookie-looking thing). Anyway, to cut out the middle 97 minutes of the movie, Chuck finds out that Soylent Green is being made from old people.

HarryKeogh
26th September 2003, 04:56 AM
did they at least sell "black and white" cookies?

black and white, living side by side in harmony

as jerry seinfeld said "we could all learn a lesson from the cookie"

BillyTK
26th September 2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Some Friggin Guy

Okay, brief rundown on Soylent Green. It is a Charlton Heston movie (possibly based on a book, I don't know.)

Based on the book by Harry Harrison called "Make room! Make room!".

For a right-winger, Heston seemed to make a lot of left-leaning films in the '70s...

Jon_in_london
26th September 2003, 06:07 AM
If we all ate one person the problem of overpopulation and world hunger would be halved overnight!

Ill eat someone you dont like, you eat somone I dont like!!

Wheres the harm!!!

Ed
26th September 2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Zep

Don't know. I'd bid on Hally Barry:D

Evolver
26th September 2003, 06:27 AM
Different prices based on something the purchaser has no control over...
How does this differ from "Ladies Night" in bars, where women drink for a reduced price?

Iconoclast
26th September 2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Evolver
How does this differ from "Ladies Night" in bars, where women drink for a reduced price?
Or Senior Citizen's discounts? Why do they only have to pay half price, they've had twice as long to raise the money!

Jon_in_london
26th September 2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Iconoclast

Or Senior Citizen's discounts? Why do they only have to pay half price, they've had twice as long to raise the money!

How about stopping young poeple from drinking!!! imagine if you it was illegal to have a drink because you were the wrong race!!

Evolver
26th September 2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Iconoclast

I thought senior citizen's discounts also gave them children's portions of food.

hgc
26th September 2003, 06:58 AM
If I were black, I'd have bought up all the cookies and resold them at a 100% mark-up.

Michael Redman
26th September 2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by hgc
If I were black, I'd have bought up all the cookies and resold them at a 100% mark-up. I was thinking the same thing. Set up a stand right next to them.

The biggest mistake I think they made, if they were really trying to show affirmative action to be unfair, was valuing white men highest, and blacks the lowest. I know that they are supposedly arguing that the system does the same thing, but there was no reason to set it up like that. They should have based it on something arbitrary, like height, if they wished to show the absurdity of the discrimination. As it was, it just looked like they were whining about themselves being on the short end.

I wonder what the Black, Hispanic, and female members of the Young Conservatives of Texas at SMU thought of the plan? ;)

hammegk
26th September 2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Michael Redman
I wonder what the Black, Hispanic, and female members of the Young Conservatives of Texas at SMU thought of the plan? ;)
Who cares what that woman thinks? :D

Do you happen to know if she is also mentally-challenged AND paraplegic? :wink8:

arcticpenguin
26th September 2003, 07:53 AM
A black student filed a complaint with SMU, saying the sale was offensive. SMU officials said they halted the event after 45 minutes because it created a potentially unsafe situation.

"This was not an issue about free speech," Tim Moore, director of the SMU student center, said in a story for Thursday's edition of The Dallas Morning News. "It was really an issue where we had a hostile environment being created."

The sale was halted for public safety, not for political content.

Shinytop
26th September 2003, 08:01 AM
Nonsense. It was halted becaue it did not support the academic PC position. When did schools lose all moral courage? When did schools lose all touch with reality?

Nyarlathotep
26th September 2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by arcticpenguin

I had only heard it was shut down, where did you hear this?

Originally posted by shinytop
Nonsense. It was halted becaue it did not support the academic PC position. When did schools lose all moral courage? When did schools lose all touch with reality?

Same thing goes for you.

patnray
26th September 2003, 08:10 AM
Their skewed parody of passive, quota based affirmative action programs (which itself has become skewed parody of the original intent of affirmative action) left out a few catagories:

If your dad is an alumni: 25 cents
If your dad funded an endowment: 10 cents
If you're an athelete: free

arcticpenguin
26th September 2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep

I had only heard it was shut down, where did you hear this?

I actually read the article linked in the opening post. That is where I found the lines I quoted.

BillyTK
26th September 2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Michael Redman
The biggest mistake I think they made, if they were really trying to show affirmative action to be unfair, was valuing white men highest, and blacks the lowest. I know that they are supposedly arguing that the system does the same thing, but there was no reason to set it up like that. They should have based it on something arbitrary, like height, if they wished to show the absurdity of the discrimination. As it was, it just looked like they were whining about themselves being on the short end.

Perhaps if they only sold cookies to every fifth white customer, then if customers complained, they could take the cookies meant for black customers and sell them to white customers. There'd only be enough biscuits for every fourth white customer though, and they have nothing to blame for the shortage of biscuits. ;)

arcticpenguin
26th September 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Shinytop
Since your location is not Dallas, I would like to ask where you get your inside information.

Shinytop
26th September 2003, 08:19 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but it is my opinion based on watching the academic community for so many years. I am entitled to state my opinion, am I not?

corplinx
26th September 2003, 08:28 AM
Yes, one black student whining about the display made it clear that the bake sale needed to be stopped for "public safety reasons".

Its amazing the copouts people will believe in when it fits their purposes.

Free speech? Just another term that gets tossed around that means "saying whatever _I_ believe in should be protected".

Nyarlathotep
26th September 2003, 08:31 AM

I actually read the article linked in the opening post. That is where I found the lines I quoted.

Oops. See how perceptive I am. That's what I get for reading the forum before I have had my coffee.

BillyTK
26th September 2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by corplinx
Yes, one black student whining about the display made it clear that the bake sale needed to be stopped for "public safety reasons".

Its amazing the copouts people will believe in when it fits their purposes.

Free speech? Just another term that gets tossed around that means "saying whatever _I_ believe in should be protected".

Those damn blacks again, eh? Always spoiling our fun...

arcticpenguin
26th September 2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Shinytop
Sorry to disappoint you, but it is my opinion based on watching the academic community for so many years. I am entitled to state my opinion, am I not?
Of course you are. It's the posing your opinions as fact that others may find confusing.

Shinytop
26th September 2003, 09:06 AM
Maybe it's just age or, as I like to call it, experience. But I find as I grow older I accept far fewer posts as facts and assume the post is opinions unless backed by some really strong links. This practice has also come about by the ability to find support for any position on the net. But you make a valid point. Maybe I need to add IMO after more posts.

Ed
26th September 2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by patnray
Their skewed parody of passive, quota based affirmative action programs (which itself has become skewed parody of the original intent of affirmative action) left out a few catagories:

If your dad is an alumni: 25 cents
If your dad funded an endowment: 10 cents
If you're an athelete: free

If you're a black athelete we pay you

hammegk
26th September 2003, 10:44 AM
As a refinement to hgc's idea, an intelligent Afro-American (or for that matter any Af-Am) might have set up a stand "next-door" advertising cookies for, say, 30cts and adjusting his/her price as supply&demand seemed to suggest.

The wonders of JIT inventory, huh?

Charlie Monoxide
26th September 2003, 12:07 PM
Since we're all black (according to a matriarchal mitochondrial DNA study on Discovery or PBS back in the spring), there should only be one price. I personally come from the "regular white guy" strain of my black heritage.

Charle (X) Monoxide

Skeptic
26th September 2003, 12:32 PM

Actually, AP, whenever someone starts saying "this is not an issue of free speech, but...", you can be 90%-95% sure it IS a matter of free speech. It is right up there with "I am not a racist, but..." and "This is not censorship, but...", etc.