PDA

View Full Version : Flunked, Not Expelled: Not Even Fox Likes It

MattusMaximus
9th April 2008, 09:08 AM
This is too damn funny. Even Fox News thinks that Ben Stein and company are full of crap when it comes to "Expelled"...

Ben Stein: Win His Career (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348468,00.html#2)

Here's an excerpt:

"After seeing a new non-fiction film starring Comedy Central’s Ben Stein, you may not only be able to win his money, but also his career.

Stein is that whiny little guy with the monotone voice that makes him seem funny and an unlikely “character” for TV appearances. But that career may be over come April 18 when a movie he co-wrote, narrates and appears in, called “Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed,” is released.

Directed by one Nathan Frankowski, “Expelled” is a sloppy, all-over-the-place, poorly made (and not just a little boring) “expose” of the scientific community. It’s not very exciting. But it does show that Stein, who’s carved out a career selling eye drops in commercials and amusing us on sitcoms, is either completely nuts or so avaricious that he’s abandoned all good sense to make a buck.

To wit: Stein, Frankowski and pals say in “Expelled” that perfectly good scientists and educators are being stigmatized for wanting to teach their students creationism and “intelligent design” — in other words, junk science — in addition to or instead of conventionally accepted Darwinism. You see, Stein, like some other celebrities, finally has shown his true colors and they aren’t so pretty."

Ben Stein and "Expelled" just got PWNED!!! Again. :D

Almo
9th April 2008, 11:04 AM
wow. that's pretty scathing! Go Fox! Well, go in that direction, anyway. :)

JoeEllison
9th April 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, go Fox... ummmm... entertainment reviewer guy?

Gate2501
9th April 2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah, go Fox... ummmm... entertainment reviewer guy?

Hannity is headed for his cubicle as we speak wearing his full SS Oberführer parade uniform, can of gas in the left hand, custom diamond encrusted swastika zippo in the right.

Run movie review guy run!

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 12:13 PM
This is too damn funny. Even Fox News thinks that Ben Stein and company are full of crap when it comes to "Expelled"...ummmm.....no. Not Fox News. A reviewer for Fox News entertainment. Do you know the difference? It appears that in your blind hatred for Fox you assume that a corporate meeting took place and it was decide by "Fox News" that the film is to be panned. Do you get out much? Can you tell the difference between opinion and entertainment, or opinion and news?

Try a little harder. You may figure it out someday. Good luck.

Here, I'll do your homework for you.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/08/who_is_roger_fr.html

ravdin
9th April 2008, 12:15 PM
Hannity is headed for his cubicle as we speak wearing his full SS Oberführer parade uniform, can of gas in the left hand, custom diamond encrusted swastika zippo in the right.

Run movie review guy run!

Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) has been validated in just four posts. Impressive!

Gate2501
9th April 2008, 12:25 PM
Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law) has been validated in just four posts. Impressive!

Well, considering the facts that some pundit on Fox News is bound to mention the Nazis at least once a week, and the movie that we are talking about draws a direct parallel between the theory of evolution and Nazism...

I thought it might be funny to make a Nazi joke at the expense of Sean Hannity.

Forgive my poor taste.

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 12:35 PM

Forgive my poor taste.

Nazi jokes are always so funny! Got any crematorium jokes you can't wait another minute to tell?

ravdin
9th April 2008, 12:43 PM
Well, considering the facts that some pundit on Fox News is bound to mention the Nazis at least once a week, and the movie that we are talking about draws a direct parallel between the theory of evolution and Nazism...

Forgive my poor taste.

It's entirely up to you if you want to hold yourself to the standards that Fox News and Ben Stein set.

I don't think your analogy is in particularly poor taste. I just wanted to bring to your attention that if your ideas are superior, then there should be no need to compare people who disagree with you to Nazis.

Gate2501
9th April 2008, 12:52 PM
Nazi jokes are always so funny! Got any crematorium jokes you can't wait another minute to tell?

I am sure that you would not have had a problem if I made a joke about Olbermann.

You have a total of 32 posts here. Nearly all of them are political and far right.

Which is why this ties into the political arena, and what ties it into left/right politics. Bad news for America is good news for the left.

Fear mongering by the left over AGW is a way to get more government into our lives. Put your head in the sand and call me whatever name makes you happy, but where did the anti-war left end up after Vietnam?

Biggest woo? That half the voters though that Gore or Kerry were capable of being Commander in Chief.

The Swift Boaters were correct in their assessment of Kerry.

Dr Adequate
9th April 2008, 12:55 PM
ummmm.....no. Not Fox News. A reviewer for Fox News entertainment. Do you know the difference? It appears that in your blind hatred for Fox you assume that a corporate meeting took place and it was decide by "Fox News" that the film is to be panned. So, which is more likely, I wonder.

Is it:

(a) "Blind hatred" of Fox News led MattusMaximus to attribute to Fox News an action of which MattusMaximus whole-heartedly approves.

Or is it:

(b) You're a troll looking for something to whine about.

CurtC
9th April 2008, 12:57 PM
Here, I'll do your homework for you.

http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2007/08/who_is_roger_fr.html

Ahh, Debbie Schlussel. The lady who wrote that all atheists are becoming Muslim terrorists. Like, literally converting to Islam and blowing people up with rucksack bombs. Gotta love her.

Dr Adequate
9th April 2008, 12:58 PM
Nazi jokes are always so funny! Got any crematorium jokes you can't wait another minute to tell? Ah, definitely (b) then.

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 01:01 PM
Sorry, no. Just pointing out the obvious to the oblivious.

I guess the number of posts determines the intellect of the poster?

In your eyes Killtown must be a genius.

Coming from you, far right is a compliment. I won't return the favor.

Want to play? I'm game.

ravdin
9th April 2008, 01:07 PM
Want to play? I'm game.

I concur with my colleague Dr. A's diagnosis. It's generally best not to feed the trolls.

Gate2501
9th April 2008, 01:09 PM

Want to play? I'm game.

The number of posts in no way determines the intellect of the poster, I was referring to the fact that you only have a handful of posts, and about 80% of them are political in nature in which you are to the far right of the issue at hand.

I am definitely a Democrat, but not on every issue, and I wouldn't say that I am far left. I made a joke. You took it seriously because the victim of the joke was a personal hero.

I'm sorry. :(

Gate2501
9th April 2008, 01:11 PM
I concur with my colleague Dr. A's diagnosis. It's generally best not to feed the trolls.

Bah...

I probably did take it too far with the Nazi joke, and you are probably right.

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 01:27 PM
Ahh, Debbie Schlussel. The lady who wrote that all atheists are becoming Muslim terrorists. Like, literally converting to Islam and blowing people up with rucksack bombs. Gotta love her.

Poisoning the well CurtC? The fact remains that the entertainment writer is a liberal on the Fox News entertainment desk.

You'll have to do better than that.

Sorry if my responses take a little while. I have a business to operate.

You'll understand that if 4-5 or more libs and malcontents jump on the bandwagon all at once, it may take a while to respond.

Thanks.

One more note. I have lurked and occasionally posted here for 4 years. (and other forums with a lot more members for 10) I was out of the country for 6 months, and chose a new user name when I returned.
Forgive me for not spending the majority of my free time posting on internet forums. I have a life outside of my computer, and a business to operate. Some of you may be able to post at work, but I find it counter productive.

95% of people who listen or watch call in shows on tv and radio, never participate. I have learned far more from listening than from speaking.
You call me a troll, but what were you guys doing in this thread? Trolling for someone to make a response you thought you could attack.

Congratulations. Very welcoming of you.

I pointed out that Maximus was wrong to assume. I was right. He was wrong. Too bad.

Wowbagger
9th April 2008, 01:35 PM
See, this is why we can't Godwin threads!

In Maximus' defense, the article was on a news-related web site, from Fox. Yes, it was the entertainment section, and yes, you could argue that entertainment is not really news or newsworthy.

But, I think the basic gist is clear: A reviewer on the usuallly right-leaning news-related web site gave a bad review to a movie that is supposed to appeal to far-right-wingers.
It just does not bode well for Ben Stein, is all.

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 01:38 PM
I am definitely a Democrat, but not on every issue, and I wouldn't say that I am far left. I made a joke. You took it seriously because the victim of the joke was a personal hero.

I'm sorry. :(An assumption. He is not a personal hero of mine. I do not watch or listen
to him. I find his religious views over the top.

I am an atheist. I believe in the power of the individual, not the power of government. I do watch Fox News and CNN from time to time, but get most of my news from the net. I read 5-6 websites that post a variety of writers from both sides of the political spectrum. That is how I start my day.
I also lurk in this forum and a few others. I have maybe 500 posts on another forum, but I have been a member there for a long time. I usually end up in the Holocaust denial thread. I am not Jewish but have spent time in Israel. It just strikes a nerve when you and others compare political commentators to Nazis. Joking or not, it does not sit well with me.

When I was growing up, there was nowhere for someone like me to get news that was not slanted to the left. Now there is. I find it in many places. Fox news kicks the crap out of CNN for a reason. There are people like me who watch. (there must be more, because I don't watch that often, or get a neilson sp? card)

JoeEllison
9th April 2008, 01:51 PM
See, this is why we can't Godwin threads!

In Maximus' defense, the article was on a news-related web site, from Fox. Yes, it was the entertainment section, and yes, you could argue that entertainment is not really news or newsworthy.

But, I think the basic gist is clear: A reviewer on the usuallly right-leaning news-related web site gave a bad review to a movie that is supposed to appeal to far-right-wingers.
It just does not bode well for Ben Stein, is all.

Unlike their nearly news-free cable channel, foxnews.com actually contains a decent amount of news.

Deathshead
9th April 2008, 01:54 PM
It just does not bode well for Ben Stein, is all.No it doesn't. Why do so many extremely intelligent men (and Stein is one)
believe this nonsense?
Stein is also a very savvy investor. He is an economist, an actor, a commentator and a seemingly all around good guy.

I don't think it will kill his career, because I don't think that many will end up seeing it. It won't get that much coverage.

But then again......

dogjones
9th April 2008, 02:05 PM
The fact remains that the entertainment writer is a liberal on the Fox News entertainment desk.

And you know this 'fact' how? Entertainment writers are a priori 'liberal'? Or anyone who pans the film is?

JoeEllison
9th April 2008, 02:11 PM
And you know this 'fact' how? Entertainment writers are a priori 'liberal'? Or anyone who pans the film is?
Anyone who is honest? Must be a liberal.

MattusMaximus
9th April 2008, 02:17 PM
So, which is more likely, I wonder.

Is it:

(a) "Blind hatred" of Fox News led MattusMaximus to attribute to Fox News an action of which MattusMaximus whole-heartedly approves.

Or is it:

Ooh, ooh, let me guess... B!!! :D

patrick767
9th April 2008, 02:29 PM
Fox news kicks the crap out of CNN for a reason.

Reason: People like to be told what they want to hear. They want to sit in front of the TV and nod their heads in agreement.

Fox's response to a perception of liberal bias in other networks was to start a network that's extremely biased in the other direction.

JoeEllison
9th April 2008, 02:37 PM
Reason: People like to be told what they want to hear. They want to sit in front of the TV and nod their heads in agreement.

Fox's response to a perception of liberal bias in other networks was to start a network that's extremely biased in the other direction.

We should stop pretending that the creation of Fox "News" had anything to do with the "liberal media" myth. It is the station for people who don't want real news, who only want to hear opinions that they can pretend is news, and then feel smug and self-satisfied in their ignorance.

dudalb
9th April 2008, 04:11 PM
Anyone who is honest? Must be a liberal.

Ah yes, Joe Ellison's world view:

All Liberals are good
All Conservatives are Evil.

Gord_in_Toronto
9th April 2008, 04:15 PM

Want to play? I'm game.

Want to play? I'm game. Care to say that in front of a meeting of the NRA? :eye-poppi

Olowkow
9th April 2008, 07:32 PM
Ben Stein has a superhuman memory for facts and trivia of all sorts, and it seems he can recite arguments that he has heard elsewhere. I remember him on "Win Ben Stein's Money" where Jimmy Kimmel was the host. Kimmel could run rings around him in reasoning, and Ben just played the village idiot whenever this happened. Could have just been the "schtick" of the show, but I'm not so sure.

The amazing memory makes him appear to be "intelligent", and I guess that is one element of intelligence, but the fact that he still defends Nixon, with no intelligible argument or sound reasoning is not impressive to me.

Damien Evans
9th April 2008, 07:41 PM
Poisoning the well CurtC? The fact remains that the entertainment writer is a liberal on the Fox News entertainment desk.

You'll have to do better than that.

Sorry if my responses take a little while. I have a business to operate.

You'll understand that if 4-5 or more libs and malcontents jump on the bandwagon all at once, it may take a while to respond.

Thanks.

One more note. I have lurked and occasionally posted here for 4 years. (and other forums with a lot more members for 10) I was out of the country for 6 months, and chose a new user name when I returned.
Forgive me for not spending the majority of my free time posting on internet forums. I have a life outside of my computer, and a business to operate. Some of you may be able to post at work, but I find it counter productive.

95% of people who listen or watch call in shows on tv and radio, never participate. I have learned far more from listening than from speaking.
You call me a troll, but what were you guys doing in this thread? Trolling for someone to make a response you thought you could attack.

Congratulations. Very welcoming of you.

I pointed out that Maximus was wrong to assume. I was right. He was wrong. Too bad.

So, you're a sockpuppet as well as a troll, nice.

dogjones
10th April 2008, 08:04 AM
Ah yes, Joe Ellison's world view:

All Liberals are good
All Conservatives are Evil.

The liberal/conservative distinction is a meaningless one in this day and age.

dudalb
10th April 2008, 01:05 PM
The liberal/conservative distinction is a meaningless one in this day and age.

I disagree although you and I might be on the same wavelength.. There are quite a few dogmatist who automatically follow the party line on both sides, so it is hardly meaningless.
But I find such blind following of anybody's party line to be dumb, and I prefer to define issues on a case by case basis. I would be considered liberal on some issues,conservative on the others.
It's people like Joe Ellison and his mirror images on the right who seem to blindly follow a party line that I find silly.
His belief that anybody who disagrees with his politics is either A. Stupid or B. Evil I find very annoyning. It's normal to have that point of view when you are around 17 years of age, but when you are much older,like Joe claims to be, and have that worldview, something is wrong.

Deathshead
10th April 2008, 02:02 PM
So, you're a sockpuppet as well as a troll, niceNo.......... Sorry. Edited to remove inappropriate remark.

Please keep in mind the Membership Agreement and do not use personal attacks to argue your point.

When I returned, I bought a new computer and did not have my info stored.
Sorry to disappoint you. That was 4 or more years ago.

Originally Posted by Deathshead http://forums.randi.org/helloworld2/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=3605114#post3605114)
Fox news kicks the crap out of CNN for a reason.

Fox's response to a perception of liberal bias in other networks was to start a network that's extremely biased in the other direction.Fact versus opinion. Is this how you try to impress in a discussion?
Doesn't work too well does it?

The fact is Fox kicks the crap out of CNN. Sorry if that disturbs you. 'Thems the facts'
The reason is that more people watch Fox than CNN. Funny how that works.

Deathshead
10th April 2008, 02:07 PM
Want to play? I'm game. Care to say that in front of a meeting of the NRA? :eye-poppi

Sure, unless there are a few liberal posers in the crowd.

Deathshead
10th April 2008, 02:27 PM
So, which is more likely, I wonder.

Is it:

Or is it:

Please tell me what you were doing on this thread? Trolling for something to whine about, perhaps?

Please try and add to the discussion, instead of trolling the threads looking for an excuse to call someone names.

Nice whine by the way, but it had nothing to do with my pointing out that Maximus was wrong and I was right.

This is too damn funny. Even Fox News thinks that Ben Stein and company are full of crap when it comes to "Expelled"...
What's funny to me is that MattusMaximus says that Fox News "thinks". I guess that blew over your head.

Better luck next time.

MattusMaximus
10th April 2008, 02:42 PM
What's funny to me is that MattusMaximus says that Fox News "thinks". I guess that blew over your head.

Better luck next time.

Didn't you say that you "had a business to run" and that you had "more important things to do than post on Internet forums"?

Yes, in fact you said that very thing right here (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=3605083&postcount=18).

So why don't you go run your business and quit derailing the thread?

Damn, can't we just discuss how stupid & incorrect "Expelled" / Ben Stein / creationism is instead of getting into the all-too-common liberal vs. conservative crap? :rolleyes:

Complexity
11th April 2008, 01:09 AM
I don't think it is a reach to think of Sean Hannity as a Nazi.

He reminds me of that evil broadcaster in V for Vendetta.

Dr Adequate
11th April 2008, 05:21 AM
Please tell me what you were doing on this thread? Trolling for something to whine about, perhaps?

Please try and add to the discussion, instead of trolling the threads looking for an excuse to call someone names.

Nice whine by the way ... I wonder if I can also teach you to say "Polly wants a cracker".

... but it had nothing to do with my pointing out that Maximus was wrong and I was right. Why do you bother to lie about my post? Everyone reading this thread can read it.

What's funny to me is that MattusMaximus says that Fox News "thinks". I guess that blew over your head. Not only did I read his post, I understood it.

Better luck next time. Luck is not involved.

quarky
11th April 2008, 06:47 AM
Is it ok to call someone a Nazi if they actually are a nazi?

Octavo
11th April 2008, 07:36 AM
No.......... Sorry. Your assumptive ass is showing.

When I returned, I bought a new computer and did not have my info stored.
Sorry to disappoint you. That was 4 or more years ago.

Your join date is October 2006. Now it could be that you exist in October 2010 and are somehow making your posts appear in the past (which is for the rest of us, the present), or it could be that you're lying...

m_huber
11th April 2008, 07:43 AM
Is it ok to call someone a Nazi if they actually are a nazi?

It depends on whether or not a political correctness Nazi is around.

MattusMaximus
11th April 2008, 09:30 AM
Not only did I read his post, I understood it.

Pwnage :D