PDA

View Full Version : Effects of music on our health

Atomised
29th May 2008, 01:14 PM
I found an article about music which disturbed me...

(Please type "cerebromente musica" into Google and go to the first result; I'm still not allowed to post links)

What I find especially disturbing about this article is this:
Another key to the order in music is the music being the same and different. The brain works by looking at different pieces of information and deciding if they are different or the same. This is done in music of the baroque and classical periods by playing a theme and then repeating or changing the theme. The repetition is only done once. More than one repetition causes the music to become displeasing, and also causes a person to either enter a state of sub-conscious thinking or a state of anger. Dr. Ballam goes on to say that, "The human mind shuts down after three or four repetitions of a rhythm, or a melody, or a harmonic progression." Furthermore, excessive repetition causes people to release control of their thoughts. Rhythmic repetition is used by people who are trying to push certain ethics in their music.

An Australian physician and psychiatrist, Dr. John Diamond, found a direct link between muscle strength/weakness and music. He discovered that all of the muscles in the entire body go weak when subjected to the "stopped anapestic beat" of music from hard rock musicians, including Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Queen, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Bachman - Turner Overdrive, and The Band. Dr. Diamond found another effect of the anapestic beat. He called it a "switching" of the brain. Dr. Diamond said this switching occurs when the actual symmetry between both of the cerebral hemispheres is destroyed causing alarm in the body along with lessened work performance, learning and behavior problems in children, and a "general malaise in adults." In addition to harmful, irregular beats in rock music, shrill frequencies prove to also be harmful to the body. Bob Larson, a Christian minister and former rock musician, remembers that in the 70's teens would bring raw eggs to a rock concert and put them on the front of the stage. The eggs would be hard boiled by the music before the end of the concert and could be eaten. Dr. Earl W. Flosdorf and Dr. Leslie A. Chambers showed that proteins in a liquid medium were coagulated when subjected to piercing high-pitched sounds

What do you think about this?
I hadn't really been researching this subject before finding the article so I have nothing to say except that I hope you guys will convince me that this article is wrong. :D

Ron_Tomkins
29th May 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm in general sense, entirely skeptical of what the article you pasted reads. And I'm particularly more than skeptical about this:

The eggs would be hard boiled by the music before the end of the concert and could be eaten.

That to me sounds like pure woo.

alfaniner
29th May 2008, 02:38 PM
Geez, apparently these people never used a hard-driving rock tune while working out.

It reminds me of the article I read in a martial arts magazine several years ago, talking about music and chi.

"All rock and roll music is bad and will totally destroy your chi. Oh, except for the music of the Beatles."

Southwind17
29th May 2008, 02:48 PM
Raw eggs placed on the front of the stage becoming hard boiled by the end of the gig? "Front of the stage"! That would be just slightly closer to the sound than the front row of the audience, wouldn't it? No brainer mate!

Madalch
29th May 2008, 03:05 PM
I have nothing to say except that I hope you guys will convince me that this article is wrong.
I see no need to add anything; the original article's claim that rock music will cook eggs is sufficient evidence that the authors are slightly cracked. The rest of their claims can be dismissed without consideration.

TellyKNeasuss
29th May 2008, 05:34 PM
More than one repetition causes the music to become displeasing, and also causes a person to either enter a state of sub-conscious thinking or a state of anger. Dr. Ballam goes on to say that, "The human mind shuts down after three or four repetitions of a rhythm, or a melody, or a harmonic progression." Furthermore, excessive repetition causes people to release control of their thoughts.Does this mean that listening to Ravel's Bolero can turn you into a zombie?

Third Eye Open
29th May 2008, 05:45 PM
Yea, it seemed plausible until I saw the words 'Christian minister' followed by 'former rock musician.'

Anything a Christian minister says about rock music should be taken with about a gram of salt.

Kestrel
29th May 2008, 08:49 PM
I see no need to add anything; the original article's claim that rock music will cook eggs is sufficient evidence that the authors are slightly cracked. The rest of their claims can be dismissed without consideration.

A quick look at his website (http://www.drjohndiamond.com/) makes it clear that the good Dr. John Diamond is into many flavors of woo.

Atomised
29th May 2008, 10:10 PM
Yea, it seemed plausible until I saw the words 'Christian minister' followed by 'former rock musician.'

Anything a Christian minister says about rock music should be taken with about a gram of salt.

Yes, but the Christian minister only said the thing about hard boiled eggs, the rest was mostly John Diamond's claims...

So it's not enough to say that Christian ministers usually talk stupid things about rock music, this dismisses only a small part of the article.

And John Diamond is maybe is some kind of a newageist (?), but he's also a psychiatrist, so... Not everything he says should automatically be dismissed just because he said it. After all, I know a lot of smart people, experts in their fields, who still believe in a lot of stupid things...

The article should be taken with a pinch of salt, there's no doubt about that... But are there any other websites about this topic, which explain why this article is wrong? Or do you know about any other researches? Or something else about this topic?

(All of this doesn't go just to TEO, although I quoted him/her...)

Third Eye Open
30th May 2008, 03:32 PM

The article should be taken with a pinch of salt, there's no doubt about that... But are there any other websites about this topic, which explain why this article is wrong? Or do you know about any other researches? Or something else about this topic?

Well, the fact that I can read a book and listen to music at the same time pretty much disproves this part:

"The human mind shuts down after three or four repetitions of a rhythm, or a melody, or a harmonic progression."

TexasJack
30th May 2008, 06:32 PM
It sure hasn't slowed down Mick Jagger.