PDA

View Full Version : Students Told Attendance At Religious Ceremony Was Mandatory

Temporal Renegade
30th May 2008, 01:17 AM
A public high school principal told students that they had to attend Mass at a Catholic Church in order to receive their degree:

http://www.koat.com/news/16425637/detail.html?rss=alb&psp=news

kerikiwi
30th May 2008, 01:28 AM
High schools award degrees?

UnrepentantSinner
30th May 2008, 01:43 AM
Robertson principal Richard Lopez said going to baccalaureate was optional despite the notices.

He said students could opt out by talking to him.

No. Students can opt out by not showing up - period.

westprog
30th May 2008, 04:35 AM
A public high school principal told students that they had to attend Mass at a Catholic Church in order to receive their degree:

http://www.koat.com/news/16425637/detail.html?rss=alb&psp=news

I was in Las Vegas a while ago. It seemed like a piece of 1950's America so it's not that surprising.

CptColumbo
30th May 2008, 04:49 AM
The article doesn't say where the notices came from or how they were delivered. If they were handed out at school or came as an e-mail from a school source I would assume that's where they come from, but if they were mailed they may have come from another source.

It will be interesting to see who sent them out.

My HS graduation was held at the Met Sports Center (where the North Stars played and is sadly demolished), and attendance was not mandatory for receiving my diploma.

I never wemt to my AA college graduation and still received my degree, but they misspelled my name on the diploma. I wish I was still punching them.

Beerina
30th May 2008, 07:09 AM
High schools award degrees?

Yes, though it's non-specific and just your high school diploma. If you don't get it, though, you can go back to school later in life and earn your G.E.D., or the Graduate Equivalency Degree, which means you can check "HS Graduate" as highest school level completed on job applications.

Temporal Renegade
30th May 2008, 01:44 PM
I'm sure the 'opt out' option was *clearly* marked and explained to the students, just to avoid any trouble... :rolleyes:

Fnord
30th May 2008, 01:57 PM
A public high school principal told students that they had to attend Mass at a Catholic Church in order to receive their degree

It makes sense to me, but only if they also made the kids spend a day in a prison, then another day in a homeless shelter, then another day in the state senate or district court, then...

Show them the reality of a situation, up close and personal.

Tsukasa Buddha
30th May 2008, 01:58 PM
Heh, I go to a Jesuit university and even they don't require attendance at mass.

CptColumbo
31st May 2008, 05:01 AM
Heh, I go to a Jesuit university and even they don't require attendance at mass.I went to a private Lutheran high school for a year (freshman year), and they required attendance at services everyday. Then I went back to public school, where I could be bullied for free.