PDA

View Full Version : UK/USA Credit Rating

cj.23
27th July 2008, 08:29 AM
We just touched on this in the Religious Education thread, and it's something that interests me and I have personal issues resulting from. Why do credit ratings not transfer internationally?

The best known example is the fact that UK and US credit ratings are completely incompatible, despite often being held by the same companies like Equifax. Yet having an excellent credit history and rating in one nation becomes completely irrelevant if you move across the pond, or even to a different part of Europe. I'm guessing the criteria employed are very different, but why, and why can the same data not just be run through the other criteria to produce a credit score for the other country?

Anyone know? I have not googled I am afraid. :( I grow lazy and trust in the excellent knowledge found here!

cj x

balrog666
27th July 2008, 11:18 AM
We just touched on this in the Religious Education thread, and it's something that interests me and I have personal issues resulting from. Why do credit ratings not transfer internationally?

The best known example is the fact that UK and US credit ratings are completely incompatible, despite often being held by the same companies like Equifax. Yet having an excellent credit history and rating in one nation becomes completely irrelevant if you move across the pond, or even to a different part of Europe. I'm guessing the criteria employed are very different, but why, and why can the same data not just be run through the other criteria to produce a credit score for the other country?

Anyone know? I have not googled I am afraid. :( I grow lazy and trust in the excellent knowledge found here!

cj x

Equifax, et al. do not "hold" your credit rating although they may issue special purpose "scores". Their primary function is to maintain your credit history and credit scoring by other parties like banks, credit card companies, credit issuers.

In fact, in the US, while your "credit scores" are (usually) freely available to you, the data/formulas used to compute them is not.

paximperium
27th July 2008, 11:43 AM
Equifax, et al. do not "hold" your credit rating although they may issue special purpose "scores". Their primary function is to maintain your credit history and credit scoring by other parties like banks, credit card companies, credit issuers.

In fact, in the US, while your "credit scores" are (usually) freely available to you, the data/formulas used to compute them is not.

Exactly. Each company, Experian, Equifax, Transunion etc. has a different scoring formula. Their is no central credit company in the US. All these companies do is track your credit.

Since they do not have the ability or access to foreign bank records etc. they are unable to calculate a foreigner's credit rating.

Francesca R
27th July 2008, 01:09 PM
Oh I thought this was about the ratings applied to sovereign debt . . . .