PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft-Google merger?

zakur
31st October 2003, 01:03 PM
Microsoft and Google: Partners or Rivals? (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/31/technology/31net.html?ei=5062&en=9611591c74179e13&ex=1068181200&partner=GOOGLE&pagewanted=print&position=)

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 30 - Wall Street is not the only one wooing Google. Microsoft is as well.

Google, the highflying Silicon Valley Web search company, recently began holding meetings with bankers in preparation for its highly anticipated initial public offering as it was still engaged in meetings of another kind: exploring a partnership or even a merger with Microsoft.

According to company executives and others briefed on the discussions, Microsoft - desperate to capture a slice of the popular and ad-generating search business - approached Google within the last two months to discuss options, including the possibility of a takeover.

While the overture appears to have gained little traction - Google indicated that it preferred the initial offering route, the executives said - it demonstrates the enormous importance that Google represents as both a competitive threat to Microsoft and as Silicon Valley's latest hope for a new financial boom.

Though seemingly spurned, Microsoft may still be interested in pursuing Google at a later date, according to an executive briefed on the discussions.

Both Google and Microsoft executives refused to comment.Let me be the first to say, 'Holy Crap, Google! Please don't go that route.'

Nasarius
31st October 2003, 01:41 PM
As people on Slashdot have said, this whole story seems to be a bit of an exaggeration. Microsoft approached Google and got a polite but firm 'no'. There's really no reason to think that Google might develop an interest in selling itself to Satan...errr, Microsoft.

dsm
31st October 2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Nasarius
There's really no reason to think that Google might develop an interest in selling itself to Satan...errr, Microsoft.

Not even $25B in the bank?

:eek:

originalgagster
31st October 2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Nasarius
There's really no reason to think that Google might develop an interest in selling itself to Satan...errr, Microsoft.

why do people hate microsoft so much? i think windows XP is really quite good.

Evolver
31st October 2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by originalgagster

It's not necessarily the product. It's the predatory business practices.

SRW
31st October 2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Evolver

It's not necessarily the product. It's the predatory business practices.

Ha ha good one, not the products shish had me going for a minute.

Nasarius
31st October 2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by originalgagster

Oh it's stable enough, and I use XP as my primary OS, mainly because I work in Windows development. But yeah, Microsoft's business practices, their lack of concern about security, etc. make them a bit less than respectable in my eyes. Oh, and their server software is crap. I can't say I hate them, though; it was a joke :)

RCNelson
31st October 2003, 09:10 PM
originalgagster:
Check out this site. (http://www.****microsoft.com/)

ceptimus
1st November 2003, 12:45 AM
That link seems broken RC

Check out this one (http://www.arachnoid.com/boycott/index.html)

Evolver
1st November 2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by SRW

Ha ha good one, not the products shish had me going for a minute.

Seriously, Microsoft does release seriously flawed products. But I get the impression that what pisses people off more is the way they devour competition, often unfairly.