PDA

View Full Version : Audience members screaming/squealing: I don't get it

bigred
30th December 2008, 09:13 PM
Any idea why this brilliant classy trend is so hot, ie how many members of an audience now (mostly women I think, but not all), instead of simply applauding like normal human beings, emit this high-pitched scream or squeal or whatever you call it (typically by going "WOOOOOO")? Classic examples include prime time game show and the mental midgets who stand outside the "Today Show" buiding so they can make complete morons out of themselves in front of the whole country. gawd. I can't even watch shows with audiences anymore thanks to this lunacy. It's like these shrill harpies from hell all got unleashed at once. wtfo? Are people so desensitized now that I'm the only one who sees this?

Emerson Street
30th December 2008, 09:23 PM
No, you are not the only person, hope that helps :)

On occasion I used to watch the brit show Top of the Pops, and talentless scum would do some (mimed) singing and the audience would do exactly the same, it made no sense but I suspect that someone was off screen encouraging the exact same thing.

Or they are idiots.

Hooloovoo
30th December 2008, 09:42 PM
The WOOOOOOOO is terrible. I hate it. The only thing an audience member can do that would be worse is yellingl WOOOOOOOOO while jumping up and down and holding a sign letting the people out there in tvland know the WOOOOOOer is from a podunk town in Alabama.

I couldn't tell you if most people are bugged by the WOOOOO or not. Maybe skeptics notice more woo than most.

Hooloovoo
30th December 2008, 09:43 PM
The WOOOOOOOO is terrible. I hate it. The only thing an audience member can do that would be worse is yelling WOOOOOOOOO while jumping up and down and holding a sign letting the people out there in tvland know the WOOOOOOer is from a podunk town in Alabama.

I couldn't tell you if most people are bugged by the WOOOOO or not. Maybe skeptics notice more woo than most.

Cleon
30th December 2008, 09:47 PM
There you have it. Hooloovoo hates the WOOOOOO.

Modified
30th December 2008, 10:19 PM
The "Woooo!" is proof of fun. You might think someone is not having fun, but see, they are yelling "Woooo!", so they must be. And if someone is yelling "Woooo!" while holding up a can of beer, then it is certain that they are partying, and not merely hanging out and drinking. If you hear someone moaning "Woooo!" in a low tone though, then they are probably not having fun, they are probably a ghost.

Lonewulf
30th December 2008, 10:21 PM
Woooooooo!

Drudgewire
30th December 2008, 10:40 PM
Woooooooo!

:dio:

Sir Robin Goodfellow
30th December 2008, 11:01 PM
What about when they yell, "Moooooooooooooo!"?

fuelair
30th December 2008, 11:17 PM
No, you are not the only person, hope that helps :)

On occasion I used to watch the brit show Top of the Pops, and talentless scum would do some (mimed) singing and the audience would do exactly the same, it made no sense but I suspect that someone was off screen encouraging the exact same thing.

Or they are idiots.
Or, just perhaps, both.

fuelair
30th December 2008, 11:19 PM
They have been cowed.

Uncayimmy
31st December 2008, 12:13 AM
Do you think in a parallel universe people are complaining about audience members who clap rather than use the traditional "woohoo" scream?

Beerina
31st December 2008, 12:47 AM
I recall in 10th grade Spanish class, they were having a Latin dance group dancing for all the Spanish classes in the lunch room. When they were done, some people started whistling as well as clapping. The teacher ran up and whispered stop it!

Apparently whistling is like booing in a lot of places around the world. :o

timhau
31st December 2008, 01:12 AM
Apparently whistling is like booing in a lot of places around the world. :o

I think the US is one of the few places where it isn't.

JoeyDonuts
31st December 2008, 02:49 AM
I was pretty surprised by the Greek custom of nodding to indicate disapproval. It was pretty amusing to be sitting outside of a street cafe, have a crap salesman come up to you (this tradition knows no boundaries), and then give him the "'Sup?" nod and watch him scurry.

richardm
31st December 2008, 02:54 AM
Ah, to have the sort of life where this is what you've got to worry yourself with.

Must truly be nice.

In fairness, I think most people can be annoyed by more than one thing at once. Judging by his posting history, I think Bigred has a larger capacity than most :D

BirdStrike
31st December 2008, 06:14 AM
Personally there is nothing creepier to me than a hundred middle-aged women in Oprah's audience going bat**** mental over the basics of sex education, cashmere, and facial creams. :D

bigred
31st December 2008, 08:11 AM
The "Woooo!" is proof of fun. You might think someone is not having fun, but see, they are yelling "Woooo!", so they must be. And if someone is yelling "Woooo!" while holding up a can of beer, then it is certain that they are partying, and not merely hanging out and drinking. If you hear someone moaning "Woooo!" in a low tone though, then they are probably not having fun, they are probably a ghost.

Point of clarification: the stereotypical drunk redneck "woooo" isn't what I mean. That's not a treat but far less annoying. I'm talking about an extremely high-pitched, shrill sound, closer to the sound made when a woman screams, or breaks a fingernail on a chalkboard...or sort of like the sound cars or buses sometimes make when they hit the brakes. Except those sounds typically have a valid reason, whereas the yahoos making this sound seem to just think it's a good idea and have no clue how obnoxious it is. To some of us, anyway. I mean it's bad enough kids do this so much nowdays, but now they're coming into adulthood and still think it's cute.

Off topic posts moved to AAH. Please, people if you are uninterested in a topic, then simply don't participate.

Bikewer
31st December 2008, 08:25 AM
Desmond Morris, in one of his books, commented on this phenomenon. He was referring to the crowds of young female fans screaming in ecstasy over the latest pop-star idol.

Claimed that it's a sort of peer-bonding thing. "See, here we are all together, all feeling the same way..."

My wife went to see one of the "revival" re-screenings of Gone With The Wind some years ago.
She said much of the audience was rather young girls, and they all collectively gasped and sighed when Gable made his first entrance...

roger
31st December 2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Bikewer, I was thinking the same thing. "Nowadays"??? Look at footage of the Beatles, or Elvis. I'm no historian, but this goes back to at least the 50s. I recall plenty of shrieking on TV when I was growing up in the early 70s.

anticonspiracy911
31st December 2008, 08:52 AM
Any idea why this brilliant classy trend is so hot, ie how many members of an audience now (mostly women I think, but not all), instead of simply applauding like normal human beings, emit this high-pitched scream or squeal or whatever you call it (typically by going "WOOOOOO")? Classic examples include prime time game show and the mental midgets who stand outside the "Today Show" buiding so they can make complete morons out of themselves in front of the whole country. gawd. I can't even watch shows with audiences anymore thanks to this lunacy. It's like these shrill harpies from hell all got unleashed at once. wtfo? Are people so desensitized now that I'm the only one who sees this?

It's a simple case of idolatry.

I Ratant
31st December 2008, 09:11 AM
It's a conditioned response.
Like the folks getting the lord at the religious seances when the preacher smacks them on the forehead and they all fall down in rapture.
They know they're supposed to do that, so they do.
If you look at the typical content of any of those shows, people who do not breathe thru their mouths will NOT be in the audience.
It's just the stupids herding together and bonding.
I wish my tv was pay-per-view for the basic stuff. My monthly bill would be a lot lower than it is.

billw
31st December 2008, 09:50 AM

They have been cowed.

Hate to horn in, but I have a beef with that comment.

tomwaits
31st December 2008, 01:24 PM
Hate to horn in, but I have a beef with that comment.

I'd milk this joke for all its worth, but I'll have to steer away due to my torn calf.

WildCat
31st December 2008, 01:24 PM
:woo:woowoo

LibraryLady
31st December 2008, 01:28 PM
I saw the Beatles live in 1966. I shrieked. I screamed.

I embarrassed the hell out of my sister's fiance.

Sir Robin Goodfellow
31st December 2008, 05:24 PM

You were around in 1966?

Modified
31st December 2008, 08:23 PM

A friend of mine was at Ed Sullivan for their American debut. He says he didn't hear a bit of the music, only screaming.

LibraryLady
31st December 2008, 08:30 PM
You were around in 1966?

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=4308337#post4308337

Delvo
31st December 2008, 09:09 PM
I'd milk this joke for all its worth, but I'll have to steer away due to my torn calf.You're claiming a leg injury to get another one in? That's just cheesy.

FreshHat
31st December 2008, 09:52 PM
...emit this high-pitched scream or squeal or whatever you call it (typically by going "WOOOOOO")?

Coincidentally, I suffered through a lunch break in the staff lounge today, where the all female (except for me) employees were mesmerised by the non-stop WOOOOING and shrieking of the audience on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

It was getting on my last nerve, yet they seemed oblivious to it.

http://www.derfcity.com/o/woo.html

fuelair
1st January 2009, 02:33 AM
Personally there is nothing creepier to me than a hundred middle-aged women in Oprah's audience going bat**** mental over the basics of sex education, cashmere, and facial creams. :D
Possibly that is getting facials. But I could be wrong.:D

quarky
1st January 2009, 03:29 AM
Girls screamed for Elvis and the Beatles.

What's scary is that they also screamed for Pat Boone; Herman's Hermits; Freddy and the Dreamers, and so on.

Evidently, its fun.

Travis
1st January 2009, 04:30 AM
The WOOOOOOOO is terrible. I hate it. The only thing an audience member can do that would be worse is yellingl WOOOOOOOOO while jumping up and down and holding a sign letting the people out there in tvland know the WOOOOOOer is from a podunk town in Alabama.

That is what makes us skeptics......or cynics. It's a fine line to negotiate.

Damien Evans
1st January 2009, 04:43 AM
The only thing worse is yelling out "Play Free Bird!"

merentha
1st January 2009, 09:15 AM
Not sure if this is the case with TV shows in the US, but having sat in the audience of a couple of taped shows here in Singapore, much of the audience reaction is actually prepped. The studio floor manager will spend some time before the actual taping to instruct the audience about their expected reaction on camera. There will be a few rounds of test applause/screaming (depending on the context of the show). During the show, the floor manager and his assistants will then cue the necessary response away from camera. If the audience missed the cue, that particular segment would have to be re-taped.

It's not necessarily the audience who want to act like idiots, but they're forced to do so if they want to go home early and not have to suffer endless re-tapes.

Gord_in_Toronto
1st January 2009, 11:48 AM
Not sure if this is the case with TV shows in the US, but having sat in the audience of a couple of taped shows here in Singapore, much of the audience reaction is actually prepped. The studio floor manager will spend some time before the actual taping to instruct the audience about their expected reaction on camera. There will be a few rounds of test applause/screaming (depending on the context of the show). During the show, the floor manager and his assistants will then cue the necessary response away from camera. If the audience missed the cue, that particular segment would have to be re-taped.

It's not necessarily the audience who want to act like idiots, but they're forced to do so if they want to go home early and not have to suffer endless re-tapes.

In my experience here in Canada the most the audience gets in the way of encouragement it the lighting of one or more applause signs at what the director thinks are the appropriate times.

I did attend a live show once where the camera panned the clapping audience -- I was not clapping (the sign was not on ;)) and the camera moved up just enough to miss my non-clapping hands as it swept the row!

Drudgewire
1st January 2009, 12:46 PM
Everybody at the party I went to last night was yelling "WOOOOOOOOO" when the ball came down.

I thought of this thread, and yelled "SLAYER!!" instead. http://www.lethalwrestling.com/upload/rock.gif

quarky
2nd January 2009, 09:13 AM
Better be careful. yelling "Slayer" could sound like "Slay Her" , to the non-metal educated.

(Get er done?)

bigred
5th January 2009, 11:06 AM
Girls screamed for Elvis and the Beatles.

What's scary is that they also screamed for Pat Boone; Herman's Hermits; Freddy and the Dreamers, and so on. These were extreme exceptions. I'm not talking young heart-aflutter teeny boppers who suddenly find themselves in the same room as their whoever musical heartthrob. "Grown" women do this, and for people/at events that aren't nearly such a big deal. Or do women really find Howie Mandel that dreamy and exciting? I kinda doubt it.

It may have started with the Elvis/Beatles lunacy, but it's way beyond that now. In fact once it was so bad on The Today Show (no I don't watch but the "SO" does) that Matt Lauer himself looked back in disgusted annoyance and as polite as he could muster told them to put a cork in it, as no one could even hear him talking.

Ashles
5th January 2009, 12:18 PM
When I get the present I have been waiting for for ages (the big machine that allows me to decide who lives and who dies) I will consider the WOOHOOs an extremely useful indicator.

HarryKeogh
5th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Screamers are slightly better than the people filming the entire concert with their cell phone.

How about you enjoy the show instead of holding up your phone all night trying to capture the moment with your cell's 1/2 megapixel camera.

TX50
5th January 2009, 12:48 PM
Isn't the screaming and whooping mostly an American thing? I've heard that
behaviour described as the "Yankee Doodle Wanky".

I know of the pubescent girls (of both sexes) screaming at the Beatles
but I think that's something a bit different.

fuelair
5th January 2009, 12:51 PM
Isn't the screaming and whooping mostly an American thing? I've heard that
behaviour described as the "Yankee Doodle Wanky".

I know of the pubescent girls (of both sexes) screaming at the Beatles
but I think that's something a bit different.
or Sinatra.

dudalb
5th January 2009, 02:12 PM
or Sinatra.

Just watch some of Sinatra's teenage fans in newsreel footage from the Early 40's, and some of what goes on today, and there is not much difference in the reaction.
I like Sinatra, Elvis, and the Beatles a lot better then the current favorites, but that is a matter of taste. It seems that teen ager girls of every generation needs some pop singer to go berserk over.

dudalb
5th January 2009, 02:24 PM

My aunt was a huge Beatles fan, complete with going out to SF airport to greet them with much screaming.
My Grandmom was saying how silly this was seeing news footage of this on local news and giving my aunt dirty looks when they cut in footage of a Sinatra concert in 1943(when my Grandmom was a teen) with much screaming and fainting. My aunt, according to family legend, just looked at my grandmother and said ""You were saying, mom?" and my grandma shut up.

Greg44
7th January 2009, 03:02 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a fair bit of encouragement from the producers of the shows to get the right response from the audience. I saw this once on the tyra banks show - stacks of screaming there - where the camera panned to the audience just before their cue and like pavlov's dogs they made with the squealing. And also there is a strong possibility of hired audience members, like once I went to a taping of Wheel of fortune here in Australia
and a couple of teenagers were clearly just there to shout out :
"TOP DOLLAR!!".

I saw some news report a couple of years back how the iraqi people now can witness American sitcoms, and there was this dude laughing along with Seinfeld. Now maybe he really thought it was funny, but it seemed as though when we introduced T.V. over there we should have mentioned canned laughter. It's very easy to be influenced by it if you don't know it's fake.

Confuseling
7th January 2009, 03:40 AM
What goes "Oooooo! Oooooo!"?

A cow with no lips. :boxedin:

BPSCG
7th January 2009, 10:58 AM
Just one more reason I go to classical concerts and opera.

Psi Baba
7th January 2009, 11:20 AM
Just one more reason I go to classical concerts and opera.
Right. Let's talk about coughing.

tomwaits
7th January 2009, 11:34 AM
I think this was one of the reasons why the Beatles stopped touring. They couldn't even hear themselves play.

dudalb
7th January 2009, 11:56 AM
I think this was one of the reasons why the Beatles stopped touring. They couldn't even hear themselves play.

Sinatra got sick of the Bobby Soxers for the same reason.

LibraryLady
10th January 2009, 01:54 PM
Right. Let's talk about coughing.

Or the fact that it takes 20 minutes to unwrap one candy from its incredibly crackly cellaphane. :mad: