PDA

View Full Version : George Soros, True American Patriot

shemp
11th November 2003, 09:36 AM
Billionaire Bankrolls Bush Bashers (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/11/politics/main582932.shtml)

(CBS) Billionaire George Soros has pledged $15.5 million to efforts to unseat President Bush in an election that he sees as a "life and death" struggle to defeat the administration's "supremacist ideology," a newspaper reports.

"America, under Bush, is a danger to the world," the 74-year-old Soros tells The Washington Post. "And I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is."

Calling the 2004 race "the central focus of my life" and comparing the president's ideology to what he witnessed in Nazi occupied Hungary, Soros is fueling attacks on the president that campaign finance reform might have prevented, The Post reports.

I am glad to see that somneone with lots of money recognizes the evil of Bush and the Republican party.

GroundStrength
11th November 2003, 10:42 AM
Neither party is worth a shi#. They're both evil and just want more of our money to do stupid things with. I for one refuse to be defined any longer by a politcal party. A nice one finger salute to the evil republican and evil democrat parties.

,,!,,

corplinx
11th November 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by shemp
Billionaire Bankrolls Bush Bashers (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/11/11/politics/main582932.shtml)

This guy really needs to get a life. Why can't he jjust give his money to a televangelist like other billionaires that are marks.

Tony
11th November 2003, 10:48 AM
What an idiot.

shemp
11th November 2003, 10:55 AM
The idiots are the ones who think it is acceptable for the U.S. to attmept to run the world like it owns it.

For Soros, spending $15 million on defeating Bush is like Tony spending $15. In Soros' case, it's money well spent. In Tony's case, he'd be best off using it to buy some intelligence and a more realistic world view.

Tony
11th November 2003, 11:01 AM
The idiots are the ones who think it is acceptable for the U.S. to attmept to run the world like it owns it.

:cry: :cry:

Were you pissing and moaning this much when clinton was doing the same thing? Hypocrite.

DrChinese
11th November 2003, 11:06 AM
Soros is brave to speak out publicly. Few businessmen will criticize politicians, much less a sitting president.

shemp
11th November 2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Tony

:cry: :cry:

Were you pissing and moaning this much when clinton was doing the same thing? Hypocrite.

Yeah, except that I didn't have this soap box.

Cain
11th November 2003, 11:08 AM
Soros gave billions of dollars to post-Communist Russia.

Billionare right-wingers (see Murdoch and Scaife) have been contributing to conservative think tanks for years. Indeed, Scaife is most responsible for bankrolling the anti-Clinton sleaze we were subjected to for eight years.

Tony
11th November 2003, 11:08 AM

Yeah, except that I didn't have this soap box.

Ok, atleast you are consistent. Now would you mind telling us who thinks it's acceptable for the US to run the world like we own it?

Skeptic
11th November 2003, 11:10 AM
Soros is brave to speak out publicly.

Why? It's hardly bravery to criticize the US president. Many people do it every day.

Justified, sometimes; necessary, sometimes; brave, no, unless you are terrified that Bill O'Reilly will piss and moan about how awfully "anti-American" you are.

Silicon
11th November 2003, 11:16 AM
From the article:

"It's incredibly ironic that George Soros is trying to create a more open society by using an unregulated, under-the-radar-screen, shadowy, soft-money group to do it," Republican National Committee spokeswoman Christine Iverson said.
"George Soros has purchased the Democratic Party."

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

That NEVER happens in the Republican party! NOOOOO. They NEVER give their millions to PAC's.

She speaks of irony. She USES the word IRONIC!

Since WHEN has it been the position of the Republican party that political action committees should be regulated? Apparantly, the Republican party thinks that PAC's are shadowy, under the radar organizations now. I guess they'll be trying to stop groups like the Conservative Leadership PAC, the NRA Polical Victory Fund (our country's largest and spendiest PAC), Elect Life, the New Republican Majority Fund... etc etc...

I thought it was the Republican position (and the position of the SCOTUS) that money=speech, and that it SHOULDN'T be regulated. It's private speech. I guess it's only shadowy when the Demmycrats do it.

shemp
11th November 2003, 11:18 AM

Ok, atleast you are consistent. Now would you mind telling us who thinks it's acceptable for the US to run the world like we own it?

The Project for the New American Century (http://www.newamericancentury.org/)

The Project for the New American Century is a non-profit educational organization dedicated to a few fundamental propositions: that American leadership is good both for America and for the world; that such leadership requires military strength, diplomatic energy and commitment to moral principle; and that too few political leaders today are making the case for global leadership.

The Project for the New American Century intends, through issue briefs, research papers, advocacy journalism, conferences, and seminars, to explain what American world leadership entails. It will also strive to rally support for a vigorous and principled policy of American international involvement and to stimulate useful public debate on foreign and defense policy and America's role in the world.

jj
11th November 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by corplinx

This guy really needs to get a life. Why can't he jjust give his money to a televangelist like other billionaires that are marks.

Because he recognizes the Shrub for what he is, I dare say.

Tony
11th November 2003, 11:31 AM

The Project for the New American Century (http://www.newamericancentury.org/)

And I guess you would rather the US be subordinate to the UN or some other dictator's rights advocacy group?

jj
11th November 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Cain
Indeed, Scaife is most responsible for bankrolling the anti-Clinton sleaze we were subjected to for eight years.

Indeed, I'm very surprised that Richard Mellon Scaife's attempts to convert this country into a religious dictatorship haven't recieved a great deal more publicity, too.

shemp
11th November 2003, 12:12 PM

And I guess you would rather the US be subordinate to the UN or some other dictator's rights advocacy group?

I won't even bother answering such a stupid question. The UN is seriously flawed, but it is not just a front for dictators. I suppose you think the opinions of the dozens of other republics around the world, and the billions of people they represent, mean nothing?

American
11th November 2003, 01:16 PM
How's your job going Shemp?

BTox
11th November 2003, 02:12 PM
Soros is a true American idiot. Anyone selfish and stupid enough to throw away $15 million on politics for any reason should be shot. How many 3rd world children would that money save from death by starvation. What a disgrace...

The Fool
11th November 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by BTox
Soros is a true American idiot. Anyone selfish and stupid enough to throw away $15 million on politics for any reason should be shot. How many 3rd world children would that money save from death by starvation. What a disgrace...

Or it could make 15 3rd world children millionaires.

For every attention seeking loonie pledging money for some politicians downfall there is surely going to be an equal number sticking money in his back pocket... We have a law in my country that bans televised political advertising and campagning in the last 24 hours of an election campagn, pollies are not even allowed on chat shows.....this is supposedly to allow people some peace and quiet to make thier decisions....Personally I would like to see it extended to a month..... It seems that the campagning for the net election now starts the day after the last election.

crackmonkey
11th November 2003, 03:18 PM
Wasn't Soros the driving force behind the Trans-Afghan pipeline? I'd be curious to see just how many skeletons are in the closet of this 'brave patriot'.

NoZed Avenger
11th November 2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by The Fool

We have a law in my country that bans televised political advertising and campagning in the last 24 hours of an election campagn, pollies are not even allowed on chat shows.....this is supposedly to allow people some peace and quiet to make thier decisions....Personally I would like to see it extended to a month..... It seems that the campagning for the net election now starts the day after the last election.

Surely then you'd want the ban to start AFTER the election. Won't moving the ban back to 30 days prior to an election just make them want to start even -earlier-?

"Here's you ballot and please vote for me again in 2006."

Cain
12th November 2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by jj

Indeed, I'm very surprised that Richard Mellon Scaife's attempts to convert this country into a religious dictatorship haven't recieved a great deal more publicity, too.

Yeah, he's a powerful, influential guy and there's virtually no mainstream reporting on his activities. Unlike Soros, who is a self-made billionaire, Scaife is one of those conservative fatasses who got his money from mommy and daddy. I think Eric Alterman's book _What Liberal Media_ says he broke some kids legs at Yale while rolling a Keg down some stairs (he may have been kicked out of school).

He owns newspapers and basically built the Heritage Foundation.

Rupert Murdoch sits on the board of trustees at the Cato Institute (along with John(?) Malone, another media mogul).

Oh, but financial speculator George Soros wants to invest money to defeat Bush. Jesus Christ.

EDIT to add: Soros is also an intellectual, and wrote a few pieces in _TNR_. His intellectual mentor was Karl Popper, not exactly a guy of the liberal persuasion.

Matabiri
12th November 2003, 02:38 AM
This man spent millions campaigning against the Euro in Britain.

http://www.democracymovement.org.uk/main/goldsmith.html

It's his money. At least it's being returned to circulation rather than just making someone richer.

BTox
12th November 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Cain

EDIT to add: Soros is also an intellectual, and wrote a few pieces in _TNR_.

Uh, right... :rolleyes:

ssibal
12th November 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by DrChinese
Soros is brave to speak out publicly. Few businessmen will criticize politicians, much less a sitting president.

If you are a billionare, I think it is safe to say just about anything.

BTox
12th November 2003, 07:42 PM
"Brave to speak out publicly". Yeah, that brought a chuckle out of me, too.