PDA

View Full Version : Opening Turbo Tax Documents

Brian
13th November 2003, 11:05 AM
I think the file extension is .tax
Is there a way to open these files without turb tax? Someone I know needs to open one single document. She's even willing to buy the software, but this years version isn't out yet and they don't stock last years version. That's what the computer stores tell her anyway.

scribble
13th November 2003, 01:23 PM
www.intuit.com - they will happily sell you last year's version. It may save money to contact their tech support department, hoever, to see whether there is an easier solution (assuming you had a legitimate copy of the program previously)

-Chris

jimlintott
13th November 2003, 02:33 PM
It occurred to me that if she just wants to get a couple of numbers off the document you might be able to find them with a hex editor. A hex editor is for viewing and editing binary files and they usually provide a view showing text values. That may be all you need.

I don't know if windows still has one. I don't see one in the c:\windows\command\ folder but you can download one for free here (http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm)

scribble
13th November 2003, 03:09 PM
I looked all over for a file converter for turbotax documents before posting my reply and couldn't find one - but someone else might have luck.

The hex editor probably won't work - it would be incredible (amazing, really) if they didn't store all of the information as binary data.

-Chris

Brian
13th November 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by scribble
I looked all over for a file converter for turbotax documents before posting my reply and couldn't find one - but someone else might have luck.

The hex editor probably won't work - it would be incredible (amazing, really) if they didn't store all of the information as binary data.

-Chris
Thanks for the help. I had tried the website, but only the state tax version is downloadable. Need Federal.
I opened it in Excell and could view much of the text, but that wouldn't cut it.
She needs to review this to approve somebody for a mortgage.
She got ahold of an accountant a little while ago who had the software.