PDA

View Full Version : Vikings still exist!

firecoins
16th June 2009, 07:15 AM
http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/news/x986612361/Viking-flashes-women-at-Newton-Marriott?popular=true (http://www.wickedlocal.com/newton/news/x986612361/Viking-flashes-women-at-Newton-Marriott?popular=true)
Newton
A man dressed as a Viking reportedly exposed his warhammer to two women at the Marriott hotel bar Saturday night.Its a hell of a pickup line.

Ashles
16th June 2009, 08:45 AM
Wanna see a Viking helmet?

EventHorizon
16th June 2009, 08:55 AM
Of course they still exist. And Brett Favre is probably going to sign with them.

dudalb
16th June 2009, 11:00 AM
A Society for Creative Anarchronism member must have had too much mead.

realpaladin
16th June 2009, 11:02 AM
Exposing a warhammer? Do they keep them covered up? For what?

ElectricVoodoo
16th June 2009, 01:57 PM
Social Darwinism at its finest.

kitakaze
16th June 2009, 04:17 PM
Re: Thread title...

Yes. Yes, they do. They have a country. They call it Iceland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland).

*deep inhale*

Mmmmmm... Perfect Aryan freaks... (NSFW)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1g4rBhiLs

:viking1

Iceland - land of pretty blonde girls, great big fat cats, and raging national pride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m3lQk7uPbs

Big Les
17th June 2009, 12:26 PM
Denmark, Norway and Sweden were the "Viking" homelands. Iceland just happened to be one of their colonies that they didn't have to share with any natives.

ElectricVoodoo
17th June 2009, 01:22 PM
Denmark, Norway and Sweden were the "Viking" homelands. Iceland just happened to be one of their colonies that they didn't have to share with any natives.

Perhaps "origins" would better describe this (Scandinavia). More often than not they would take a specific area and assimilate into that culture. I think the term "Viking" has been glorified and romanticized. They reached from Poland, Newfoundland, Canada, North Africa and just about anywhere in between.

Much of what people know of the Vikings, their culture, et al, is ahistorical.

Safe-Keeper
17th June 2009, 02:02 PM
Denmark, Norway and Sweden were the "Viking" homelands. Iceland just happened to be one of their colonies that they didn't have to share with any natives. Well, there were Irish monks living there in a naive belief no one would be stupid enough to settle on Iceland. When they discovered they were wrong and that they suddenly had to share their island with heathens, they packed and left. Sour grapes.

Lucian
17th June 2009, 02:33 PM
Well, there were Irish monks living there in a naive belief no one would be stupid enough to settle on Iceland. When they discovered they were wrong and that they suddenly had to share their island with heathens, they packed and left. Sour grapes.

Well, the Irish priests left of their own accord if you believe the accounts of the Icelandic chroniclers.

Lucian
17th June 2009, 03:07 PM
The man “lifted his skirt up exposing his genitals,” according to the report.
When did Vikings wear skirts?

Safe-Keeper
17th June 2009, 03:17 PM
Well, the Irish priests left of their own accord if you believe the accounts of the Icelandic chroniclers. That's what I said:p.

When did Vikings wear skirts? Well, I know they wore make-up...

fuelair
17th June 2009, 03:30 PM
Of course we still exist - well, the berserker contingent anyway!!

Lucian
17th June 2009, 05:15 PM
That's what I said:p.
I should have emphasized the "if:" IF you believe the Icelandic chroniclers. I don't think there's any other evidence for the Irish monks (although I don't know why Ari Thorgilsson would make them up). Also IF you believe the monks said, "ew, heathens" and left in a snit. I believe there have been suggestions that the early settlers may have acted like, well, Vikings. Usually the Icelandic writers weren't terribly squeamish about the behavior of their ancestors, but they were Christians (Ari was a priest), and may have hesitated to mention a slaughter of monks.

Well, I know they wore make-up...

Pretty blue I shadow, I believe.

Cuddles
18th June 2009, 06:09 AM
Its a hell of a pickup line.

"The hammer is my penis." - Captain Hammer.

I don't think there's any other evidence for the Irish monks (although I don't know why Ari Thorgilsson would make them up).

He'd had a bit too much mead and got lost on the way to Iceland. After spending several years in Ireland writing his chronicles, he finally sobered up long enough to realise his mistake and managed to actually find his way to Iceland. However, he had such a hangover that he couldn't be bothered to start again from the beginning and just claimed that all the Irish people he'd written about were actually in Iceland all along. Thus was born the art of the retcon.

ThatSoundAgain
18th June 2009, 07:08 AM
Of course we still exist - well, the berserker contingent anyway!!

Hey, do you lick toads or eat shrooms before battle?

I used to go with the ol' amanita, but I find I get terrible migraines, so I've switched over. That gives me some trouble since the toads have been placed on the endangered species list.

A friend of mine once talked to a gentleman from the US he met at a bar in Copenhagen. This gentleman was very concerned with the issues concerning native Americans, and in the course of the converation asked my friend how big a chunk of Denmark we'd laid out for Viking reservations.

ElectricVoodoo
18th June 2009, 06:47 PM
If you are to go into battle, I advise against hallucinogens. It may have worked in the pre-firearm era but look at the Viking population today. You can find them in museums, buried in the ground, and in the multi-generation-diluted blood of people today. They assimilated into so many cultures that the modern usage of the term "Viking" is disputed among anthropologists as new discoveries are made. Do they still teach Columbus first discovered America in school?

Foolmewunz
18th June 2009, 06:58 PM
If you are to go into battle, I advise against hallucinogens. It may have worked in the pre-firearm era but look at the Viking population today. You can find them in museums, buried in the ground, and in the multi-generation-diluted blood of people today. They assimilated into so many cultures that the modern usage of the term "Viking" is disputed among anthropologists as new discoveries are made. Do they still teach Columbus first discovered America in school?

(With apologies to whatever comedian I'm stealing this from.)

Discover? Whoo! I like that one. Next time they bust me climbing out the back of the Circuit City warehouse with a 45" flatscreen, I'm going to use it.

"What do you mean, officer? I'm not stealing this. I discovered it."

Fitter
18th June 2009, 07:05 PM
Of course they still exist. We've got one (http://forums.randi.org/member.php?u=5299) here. If you're nice he'll even show you Mr Pinky.

arthwollipot
18th June 2009, 07:08 PM
Ahem! (http://www.aaf.org.au/gallery/kit/andrew/viking)

ElectricVoodoo
18th June 2009, 07:20 PM
(With apologies to whatever comedian I'm stealing this from.)

Discover? Whoo! I like that one. Next time they bust me climbing out the back of the Circuit City warehouse with a 45" flatscreen, I'm going to use it.

"What do you mean, officer? I'm not stealing this. I discovered it."

I discovered your post made no sense based on whatever context you took my quoted post in (just not the right one).If you do as you say, you'll discover your feminine side in prison.

Based on how you've worded your post you've stolen "45" flatscreen"'s before?

Foolmewunz
18th June 2009, 07:54 PM
I discovered your post made no sense based on whatever context you took my quoted post in (just not the right one).If you do as you say, you'll discover your feminine side in prison.

Based on how you've worded your post you've stolen "45" flatscreen"'s before?

Over-react much?

Responses are sometimes not directed at the person quoted. Sometimes they're merely inspired by a line, or perhaps something sparks an idea. You mentioned "discover" and it reminded me of the line, which, as I said, I borrowed from a comedian, as I think it sheds a different light on the whole "who discovered America", at least from the p.o.v. of the inhabitants who were on the shore waiting for the discoverers.

Your counter repartee is a little discordant from where I stand.

ThatSoundAgain
18th June 2009, 08:19 PM

Emphasis on "may". I was joking, as I think the Vikings' hallucinogen use is regarded by many as speculation. Then again, I'm all for speculation.

Not quite a hallucinogen, but aren't fighter pilots sometimes issued amphetamine or similar today? I've heard rumors about football (soccer) players, too...

arthwollipot
19th June 2009, 01:23 AM
Emphasis on "may". I was joking, as I think the Vikings' hallucinogen use is regarded by many as speculation. Then again, I'm all for speculation.Berserks who went into battle drunk are mentioned several times in the Sagas, but I believe that the idea of magic mushrooms was something that was made up in the 1800s.

ThatSoundAgain
19th June 2009, 05:04 AM
Berserks who went into battle drunk are mentioned several times in the Sagas, but I believe that the idea of magic mushrooms was something that was made up in the 1800s.

Thank you.

I'm even more for speculation that involves smithery :D

ElectricVoodoo
19th June 2009, 11:42 AM
Over-react much?

Responses are sometimes not directed at the person quoted. Sometimes they're merely inspired by a line, or perhaps something sparks an idea. You mentioned "discover" and it reminded me of the line, which, as I said, I borrowed from a comedian, as I think it sheds a different light on the whole "who discovered America", at least from the p.o.v. of the inhabitants who were on the shore waiting for the discoverers.

Your counter repartee is a little discordant from where I stand.

Over-react much?
Not at all, my friend. If I was not as anti-emoticon as I am, I surely would have put a :), :D, or ;) after suggesting you steal TVs and the prison comment.

Text is without tone and sometimes I simply write as I think. It takes a hell of a lot more to get a rise out of me - trust me, I'm a doctor. I just didn't get the joke and the reference, apologies if you took my words as harsh.

fuelair
20th June 2009, 04:26 PM
No need for hallucinogens - and I have not heard of any using them (historically). Berserker/baresarker is mental training (usually inate) such that the person in the state is aware only of fighting and of where the fighting moves as it moves, only aware of the sounds of approachers and the patterns of their movement and the movements of his/her weapon and it's targets. Very good to be behind the Berserkers, very bad to be in front of them.

Generally, berserkers stop when there is no one left to fight, they have been damaged sufficiently that they cannnot move further or they are dead.