PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever fake a conspiracy?

shawmutt
30th June 2009, 04:08 AM
I got into a heated discussion with a moon landing denier on youtube. I just started calling him a spy for the Chinese government, and his whole shtick about the moon landing being a hoax was to undermine the US government and weaken it. After he threatened my son (his video is on my channel), I knew I was onto something ;)

I think with a little bit of development (and a website) I can develop this into a full grown conspiracy. I know Randi has done this before with his mentalist hoax, does anyone else have experience doing this or can point me to any existing fake conspiracy sites (I like and know about the fake religion site Landover--something like that for CTers)?

JihadJane
30th June 2009, 04:14 AM
H.G.Wells? G.W.Bush?

LightinDarkness
30th June 2009, 05:00 AM
I don't know if there is a fake conspiracy site - although such would certainly be amusing - but I have occasionally used the "make the CTers part of the CT" when absolutely all attempts at logic, reason, and critical thinking were exhausted.

At that point its just sort of for your own personal amusement - you know the CTers aren't going to learn anything, so you play play ball with them their style by accusing them as being involved in some massive conspiracy plot. My favorite part is when they tell you that such accusations are insane and delusional. :D

CTers never really seem to get the irony...

JihadJane
30th June 2009, 06:59 AM
I don't know if there is a fake conspiracy site - although such would certainly be amusing - but I have occasionally used the "make the CTers part of the CT" when absolutely all attempts at logic, reason, and critical thinking were exhausted.

At that point its just sort of for your own personal amusement - you know the CTers aren't going to learn anything, so you play play ball with them their style by accusing them as being involved in some massive conspiracy plot. My favorite part is when they tell you that such accusations are insane and delusional. :D

CTers never really seem to get the irony...

Do you get the irony?

Ysidro
30th June 2009, 09:30 AM
Do you get the irony?

See what he means?

LightinDarkness
30th June 2009, 12:41 PM
See what he means?

Ding, ding, ding.

:D

I do remember an attempt to create a new secret society conspiracy on AboveTopSecret once. The masons on board were getting tired of the daily/hourly threads of "OMGZ FREEMASONS WORSHIP SATAN HERE IS MY EVIDENCE A GEOCITIES SITE" which would all get lots of attention and have ATS members completely ignore the facts.

I can't remember the name of it - it wasn't an organized attempt or anything at all but one member who was a freemason started a thread about this new fake secret society and it was SO obviously fake we all played along. After about 5 pages of using the same tactics an average ATS anti-mason does it got shut down by the staff. I pointed out to them that we only used the same methods and logic of other posters in forming conspiracies on that very board and got banned for it, of course. :D

I am trying to find the thread but they may have deleted it instead of locked it...it was hilarious...we had the woos all in a uproar.

elbe
30th June 2009, 12:44 PM
Last night I had a conversation at work about how the super secret, competent CIA would kidnap me and dissect me to find out how my telekinesis, that I could possible have to do my work from home, works. I decided that the super secret CIA was Confédération Internationale des Accordéonistes, what could be a more perfect cover than foreign accordionists?

Does that count?

Sunray Breaker
30th June 2009, 01:11 PM
I was thinking of starting an Onion meets weekly world news kinda Zine. Only it would be Info wars stuff, with goofy photoshopped images and what not.

I thought something like that would be fun.

I miss weekly world news. That was one of the most entertaining pieces of rubbish out there

dudalb
30th June 2009, 01:35 PM
I don't quite know if this qualifies as a fake conspriacy, but the guy who phoned in "Coast to Coast", said his name was Gordon Freeman, that he worked for a Government Lab called Black Mesa, and he was getting concerned about some of the wierd stuff happening is classic. The host fell for it, hook line and sinker.

Sabrina
30th June 2009, 03:17 PM
I can't believe you all forgot UC and my fake conspiracy theory about the RFID chips being implanted in military!!! Bermas, Jones; EVERYBODY fell for it, hook, line, and sinker!!

Classic.

Mr.D
30th June 2009, 03:21 PM
Does "Cogno-intellectual (http://bubl.ac.uk/ARCHIVE/journals/mini-air/v1997n12.htm#21997-12-03)"count? Or is it more along the lines of the Sokal Paper?

oldhat
30th June 2009, 03:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_58

Horatius
30th June 2009, 03:50 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_58

In that vein, there's the Canadian Conspiracy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Canadian_Conspiracy) My favourite line: "Narrator: [voiceover] *Green* card.
[beat]
Narrator: Lorne *Greene*
[beat]
Narrator: Coincidence? ", done with suitably "ominous" tone of voice.

Edited to correct quote, according to IMDB.

ETA: It really does capture the CT mindset:

Lorne Greene: There's no connection whatsoever between Lorne Green and Green Card.

Anne Murray: Well, there *has* to be a connection between Lorne Green and the Green Card. Because all the people I know who have Green Cards know Lorne Greene.

contra
30th June 2009, 05:34 PM
I once started trying to start one, to show that 2 totally unconnected things can be connected.

I chose Al Gore.

For example.
Born March 31, 1948, only 6 days after the Aztec UFO crash where 12 bodies were recovered.

His wife, Forn Augest 1948, just as the LAREDO, USA UFO crash, where 1 body was recovered.

At Harvard after the 1968 protects, and the "satellite debris" recovered by US, Orocue, Columbia, Gore developed an interest in politics. A subject he would exploit for decades.

There was a lot more... but it was many years ago, and I've lost it.

I wasn't saying anything. But I was raising questions and giving 'facts'

TK0001
1st July 2009, 09:29 AM
No, but my wife has.

...wait, did you say "conspiracy".....or........ah crap

Nick Terry
1st July 2009, 11:57 AM
The Priory of Sion was a fake conspiracy.

Jontg
1st July 2009, 01:53 PM
You mean, other than Jones, Icke, Avery, Bermas, Rowe, Wood, Hitler, Ford, Hoover, McCarthy, Welch, Luther, Kennedy, and every other manipulative fearmonger throughout history?

shawmutt
1st July 2009, 02:21 PM
You mean, other than Jones, Icke, Avery, Bermas, Rowe, Wood, Hitler, Ford, Hoover, McCarthy, Welch, Luther, Kennedy, and every other manipulative fearmonger throughout history?

Your post is missing an emotive smiley.