PDA

View Full Version : Jehova's Witness and guilt trip?

Vitnir
5th December 2003, 09:27 AM
Is anyone more familiar with the inner workings of Jehovas Witness philosophy than me? I got a friend that I suspect was exploited by a group of those :(

He was vulnerable emotionally and wasn't able to tell them to go away and I thought that maybe they might have got him even more depressed by all their talk about armageddon and etc. Some christians are deep into the guilt trip I understand and even claim sickness is a punishment from god, is this related to JW?

The Don
5th December 2003, 05:00 PM
Being very cynical at this time (and more or less under the affluence of incahol) I would say that this is a typical contolling mechanism used by all who are in abusive relationships. This is not unique to JW, many catholics and jews carry an enormous amount of guilt

The whole idea of "your life is carp and unless you follow our rules it will be ever thus" is a way of securing your followers' loyalty.

Please explain to your friend that they haven't "earned" any penalty from anyone. Bad stuff happens to the very best of people and good stuff happens to the very worst.

Try and make your friend understand that the JW have a vested interest in getting hm to join them. Get your friend to talk to a counselor or even better a friedn like yourself about their problems. For all that I'm an atheist, if your friend believes that some kind of divine spirit looking after them will do some good then fair enough. Just don't let them brainwash your friend into a sense of hopelessness :)

bug_girl
5th December 2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by The Don
The whole idea of "your life is carp and unless you follow our rules it will be ever thus" is a way of securing your followers' loyalty.

I often feel like my life is carp. Fortunately, i pike myself up and start over.

I have a JW in my office, and i can certainly say that she is terribly exploited. She isn't mentally...um, normal, and is prevented from getting the treatment she needs. They just tell her she's not trying hard enough, and she needs to take more classes.

i hope your friend gets help too.

Iamme
5th December 2003, 07:47 PM
(Bug_girl) "I often feel like my life is carp. Fortunately, i pike myself up and start over.":bgrin:

TwoShanks
5th December 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by bug_girl

I often feel like my life is carp. Fortunately, i pike myself up and start over.

Will you marry me?