PDA

View Full Version : Citizen Newt

DrChinese
7th December 2003, 06:36 PM
God help me! Please! I am reading the recent words of arch-conservative Citizen Newt Gingrich and I am finding myself AGREEing with him about the current strategy in Iraq.

From MSNBC article "Gingrich Dissents on Iraq" (http://msnbc.com/news/1002188.asp):

Gingrich argues that the administration has been putting far too much emphasis on a military solution and slighting the political element. "The real key here is not how many enemy do I kill. The real key is how many allies do I grow," he says. "And that is a very important metric that they just donít get." He contends that the civilian-run CPA is fairly isolated and powerless, hunkered down inside its bunker in Baghdad. The military has the money and the daily contact with the locals. But itís using the same tactics in a guerrilla struggle that led to defeat in Vietnam.

"The Armyís reaction to Vietnam was not to think about it," he says. Rather than absorb the lessons of counterinsurgency, Gingrich says, the Army adopted "a deliberate strategy of amnesia because people didnít want to ever do it again." The Army rebuilt a superb fighting force for waging a conventional war. "I am very proud of what [Operation Iraqi Freedom commander Gen.] Tommy Franks didóup to the moment of deciding how to transfer power to the Iraqis. Then," said Gingrich, "we go off a cliff."

In essence, the Americans never did transfer power. They disbanded the Iraqi Army and the government, realized that was a mistake, and quickly tried to cobble together an Iraqi police force and military. But the Iraqis in uniform today are seen by too many Iraqi citizens as American collaborators. Gingrich faults the Americans for not quickly establishing some sort of Iraqi government, however imperfect. "The idea that we are going to have a corruption-free, pristine, League of Women Voters government in Iraq on Tuesday is beyond naivete," he scoffs. "It is a self-destructive fantasy." (The White House insists that it is paying close attention to local politics and has speeded up the timetable to turn over power to the Iraqis.)

The last time I agreed with Newt, Clinton sided with him too and we ended up with a balanced budget - first one in many moons. But Bush saw through that and has returned us to record deficits. Where Newt's ideas will lead this time?

Zep
7th December 2003, 07:33 PM
Good heavens! Newt's been dinked by the Good Rational Sense Fairy! So when does it get through to the Whitehouse?

fishbob
7th December 2003, 07:46 PM
God help me! Please! I am reading the recent words of arch-conservative Citizen Newt Gingrich and I am finding myself AGREEing with him about the current strategy in Iraq Just because Newt is a miserable excuse for a human being doesn't mean he can't be right sometimes. I also agree with his analysis of what went wrong. I would be cautious with his plan to fix the problem, if he comes up with one. It is much easier to see a problem than to fix a problem.

corplinx
7th December 2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by DrChinese
The last time I agreed with Newt, Clinton sided with him too and we ended up with a balanced budget - first one in many moons. But Bush saw through that and has returned us to record deficits.

Wow, that's a real scheisse-geyser of a statement. The rest of your post was great but you have to tagline it with memes/misinformation. Dr., I think you are a sharp person but sometimes your a bit too politically religious for my tastes.