PDA

View Full Version : Osteopathy

JAStewart
24th July 2009, 07:56 AM
Is Osteopathy a pseudoscience?

Someone on a local forum was asking if there was an Osteopath near my area and I just wanted to make sure they weren't wasting money.

shuttlt
24th July 2009, 09:06 AM
My impression is that the roots of osteopathy aren't a whole lot better than chiropractic, but these days they're quite a bit less woo. Another plus is there seem to be no claims of osteopaths causing significant direct harm to people, though even with chiropractic this is clearly a rare event.

My off the top of my head best advice would be to make sure and only pay money for something that you believe somebody can plausibly help with. Osteopathy can plausibly help with joint and muscle pain, but then so can physiotherapy.

paximperium
24th July 2009, 09:19 AM
Is Osteopathy a pseudoscience?

Someone on a local forum was asking if there was an Osteopath near my area and I just wanted to make sure they weren't wasting money.
Osteopathy is a pseudo-science. It is based on similar outmoded principles as chiropractic.

However in the US many Osteopaths are not quacks but licensed medical practitioners and are known as DOs(Doctor of Osteopathy). They are osteopathic orthopedic surgeons, general surgeons, ER doctors etc. although DOs tend to pride themselves as primary care physicians.

The level of woo depends on the individual. Many don't bother using their OM techniques but some are hardcore quacks who use OM like "straight" Chiroquacks. The quality of Osteopathic research is the same as any other "Alternative" med Research which is horrendous.

Rolfe
24th July 2009, 10:01 AM
Osteopathy in Britain is quackery, carried out by people with no medical qualifications. It is not to be confused with the degree of DO in the USA, which I understand is an entirely legitimate medical qualification.

Shetland is, at least at present, in Britain, so if I were you JA, I'd tell your friend to find a physiotherapist.

Rolfe.

big-E
24th July 2009, 10:10 AM
[anecdote mode: on]
My brother went to see an osteopath, about his hips which were giving him more and more trouble, chronic and severe pain, reduced mobility... It used to sort-of-work, for a little while, but did nothing to address the underlying problem (arthritis, basically). Even tried acupuncture too which temporarily aided the muscle tension around the joints to reduce the pain for a while, but it always came back...

And what helped? Genetically-engineered drugs (anti-TNF) and full-on surgery, resurfacing of the joint with cobalt-chrome steel! Proper, real medicine did what no 'alternative' could, and he's back racing on his bike...
[anecdote mode: off]

Mojo
24th July 2009, 10:49 AM
Osteopaths on the loose (http://www.ukskeptics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2452) on the UK Skeptics forum.