PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West and The Real Issue

Bill Thompson
17th September 2009, 12:07 PM
Have you ever noticed that when a white celebraty does something stupid publicly, the American public forgives him or her so fast it makes your head spin. But when a "black" man or woman does, we crucify him?

Imagine if Kanye West was white and that young woman, Taylor Swift (I think) was black. People would instantly label him as being drunk and stupid and when he apologized on Jay Leno's show the same day it would all be brushed aside. Ah, but we are talking about a black guy. So Jay Leno gets away with leaning in and saying "You know, I met your mom... what would she have to say about this".

Do you think I am wrong? Well, consider what would have happened if the famous Super bowl "wardrobe malfunction" a few years back had been between a black guy and a white girl? As I recall, Janet Jackson was the one making the rounds apologizing even though it was Justin Temberlake who made the offensive move. If you switch the colors of the performers skin, would it be the white woman saying she was sorry on TV while the black performer goes on with his career and gets invited to host Saturday Night Live several times?

Do you still think I am wrong? What if Hugh Grant had been black and it was a white prostitute? What do you imagine would have happened?

Remember Richard Gere and him practically humping a Bollywood star on stage? In the USA, it seems we just basically gave him a pass on that one. His offense was much worse than Kanye's. So I have to imagine that the color of someone's skin is the real issue here. The Indian government was afraid that the public was not going to let Gere out of the country alive. And the silly Americans just brushed it off. I have to wonder what would happen if it was a black celebrity.

And what about Tom Cruise? He has embarrassed himself time after time. He has not just offended one person but countless scores of people who have left the Scientology Cult or has had family members abused by them and yet he can still go on Oprah to the reception of screaming fans.

dudalb
17th September 2009, 01:14 PM
Do you still think I am wrong? What if Hugh Grant had been black and it was a white prostitute? What do you imagine would have happened?

Yes,I still think you are wrong. Grant got crucified when that story broke,and his career never really recovered.
Tom Cruise is a freaking joke,and his popularity has gone down enormously since his crazy antics began.
Trying to excuse West's behavior by playing the race card is pretty pathetic.

LibraryLady
17th September 2009, 01:16 PM
Judging someone's popularity by the reaction of an Oprah audience is probably not the best idea. There are "applause" signs lighting up and an audience warm up that revs everyone up.

The sight of Hugh Grant makes me mildly nauseous. Does that count for anything?

WildCat
17th September 2009, 01:16 PM
Yes,I still think you are wrong. Grant got crucified when that story broke,and his career never really recovered.
Tom Cruise is a freaking joke,and his popularity has gone down enormously since his crazy antics began.
And no one ever says anything bad about Mel Gibson...

LibraryLady
17th September 2009, 01:20 PM
And no one ever says anything bad about Mel Gibson...

I do! I do!

Oh. You were being sarcastic. :)

ServiceSoon
17th September 2009, 01:32 PM
I think the problem is the OP sees everything as black and white :D

Wolfman
17th September 2009, 01:36 PM
Actually, had it been a white man going up and interrupting a black woman -- especially to say that another white woman was better than her -- there'd be screams to high heaven from the black community about racism. The person guilty of this (regardless of whether their motivation was racist or not) would be forced to make countless public apologies, and would generally be excoriated in the media.

What about Mel Gibson...his drunken comments were not passed over, but rather he became the target of nationwide scorn, and condemnation from his peers in the acting industry.

Sorry...but there's nothing "real" about the issue you are claiming here.

Tony Inchpractice
17th September 2009, 02:03 PM
What if Hugh Grant had been black and it was a white prostitute? What do you imagine would have happened?

I'm pretty sure Eddie Murphy got off lighter than Hugh Grant.

Bill Thompson
17th September 2009, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Eddie Murphy got off lighter than Hugh Grant.

Apples and Oranges, as I remember. Grant was in the act while Murphy was just driving. Different story. But I might be wrong.

Trying to excuse West's behavior by playing the race card is pretty pathetic.

That is what I used to think. But I caught a glimpse of daytime television and Tom is still treated like a rock star on Oprah.

Doesn't the rapper, M&M, get away with being a jerk in public all the time? Doesn't he offend people constantly? Maybe Grant was a bad example but I still think I have a point.

Let's see, M&M threatens his ex-wife, his mom, and at the VMA's he once threatened to kick Moby's ass. Yeah, I think the color of your skin still matters. I can see M&M doing what West did and noone would even blink.

zerospeaks
17th September 2009, 02:09 PM
This reminds me of an article.

Celebrities and the stuff we forgot they did.
http://www.cracked.com/article/96_7-beloved-celebrities-awful-****-you-forgot-they-did/
The first one on the list is Dre. He beat up a woman, but we let that one slide. So I don't think race has anything to do with it.

You know what I think? It depends on the news week. If it is a slow news week stories tend to hang in the air.

shandyjan
17th September 2009, 02:13 PM
Over exageration on Richard Gere..it was Indian standards offended, it was very innocent by UK standards..we thought 'what the fuss?' So nothing to forgive.
Kanye just ruffles feathers all over the place in an arrogant way...thats where his downfall is. But his music will still sell just the same so I wouldnt cry over him!

lionking
17th September 2009, 02:14 PM
That is what I used to think. But I caught a glimpse of daytime television and Tom is still treated like a rock star on Oprah.

Doesn't the rapper, M&M, get away with being a jerk in public all the time? Doesn't he offend people constantly? Maybe Grant was a bad example but I still think I have a point.

I don't think you have a point at all, and making any judgment based on someone's reception on Oprah is plain silly.

Pardalis
17th September 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm sure pretty much everyone consider Cruise and Gibson to be bigger dicks than West, so there goes another racial myth.

Cleon
17th September 2009, 02:20 PM

It's Oprah. They treat Dr. Phil like a rock star. Dr. *********** Phil.

To say nothing of Jenny *********** McCarthy, whose anti-vax nonsense is actually killing people (http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/)!

Doesn't the rapper, M&M, get away with being a jerk in public all the time? Doesn't he offend people constantly? Maybe Grant was a bad example but I still think I have a point.M&M is a candy. You might be thinking of Eminem. And AFAIK he's no more offensive or rude than any other rapper/hip-hop artist; and considering that sort of company, if anything he gets more backlash than he deserves.

I don't see you having a legitimate point here.

Polaris
17th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Have you ever noticed that when a white celebraty does something stupid publicly, the American public forgives him or her so fast it makes your head spin. But when a "black" man or woman does, we crucify him?

You mean like Imus and Michael Richards?

Ohmer
17th September 2009, 02:56 PM
Could Eminem get away with this?

http://music.msn.com/music/artist-photos/snoop-dogg/?gallery=13931&photo=b0086f15-f93d-4698-8f05-bbf867b0d1f8

Bill Thompson
17th September 2009, 03:21 PM
I don't think you have a point at all, and making any judgment based on someone's reception on Oprah is plain silly.

Not if I think society is plain silly.

The particular show I saw featured Tom's biggest fan and how giddy she was to meet him and meet him again on a second show and how everyone in the audience lept to their feet when Tom showed up. (a total of 3 shows including his love confession show).

And you skipped over M&M.

Someone told me it is also a gender issue. If Taylor Swift was a dude, noone would care or if West was a girl, we would blow it off as a semi-catfight.

Maybe it is a race and gender combo.

tyr_13
17th September 2009, 03:23 PM

To say nothing of Jenny *********** McCarthy, whose anti-vax nonsense is actually killing people (http://www.jennymccarthybodycount.com/)!

M&M is a candy. You might be thinking of Eminem. And AFAIK he's no more offensive or rude than any other rapper/hip-hop artist; and considering that sort of company, if anything he gets more backlash than he deserves.

Cause I think you missed it Bill.

Bill Thompson
17th September 2009, 03:24 PM

M&M is a candy. You might be thinking of Eminem. And AFAIK he's no more offensive or rude than any other rapper/hip-hop artist; and considering that sort of company, if anything he gets more backlash than he deserves.

Yeah, Eminem. But he got his name from his real initials, M and M.

The man threatened to beat up another artist at the Video Awards show. So if Kanye threatened to beat up Taylor Swift, it would be better?

Cleon
17th September 2009, 03:31 PM

The man threatened to beat up another artist at the Video Awards show.So if Kanye threatened to beat up Taylor Swift, it would be better?

Why yes, that's exactly like what I said. :rolleyes:

WildCat
17th September 2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I think the color of your skin still matters.
OJ had one bad day and everyone shunned him. If he was white he'd still be in the Monday Night Football booth.

dudalb
17th September 2009, 04:22 PM
There is also the little fact that Kanye did his faux paus live in front of millions of people on television. But that had nothing to do with the heat he is getting, no siree, he just another Brother being oppressed by The Man.......

LostAngeles
17th September 2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah, really. Kanye West is a douchebag who happens to be black. It's not the first time he's done this, he has a huge ego (cover of Rolling Stone, anyone), people are just sick of his ****.

Bill Thompson
17th September 2009, 05:06 PM
You mean like Imus and Michael Richards? No I do not.

And explain to me how what Imus and what Michael Richards did can ever be regarded as forgivable or be thought of as "just being stupid"?

LostAngeles
17th September 2009, 05:13 PM
No I do not.

And explain to me how what Imus and what Michael Richards did can ever be regarded as forgivable or be thought of as "just being stupid"?

I didn't think they were forgivable. They were stupid in that most racists are smart enough to not let their tongues slip to that end.

I welcome it, honestly. I maintain that knowing who to avoid is a very good thing!

MysteryMammal
17th September 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think people are ticked off about Kanye. People got ticked off about Imus, that Seinfeld guy, etc... but Kanye? He's a clown. He has a history of pulling this kind of childish "baaaawwwww! I didn't get what I want!" BS. People laugh at him. And it still hasn't hurt his career as far as I can tell...

I wish it would though. I'm sick of his tantrums and attention whoring.

Travis
17th September 2009, 05:29 PM

The man threatened to beat up another artist at the Video Awards show. So if Kanye threatened to beat up Taylor Swift, it would be better?

First off, have you checked the primary gender of most of Oprah's audiences? Are we really surprised they get star struck and giddy with a still attractive movie star when he shows up?

Second of all, comparing what Eminem threatened to do and Kanye (hypothetically) threatening a tiny, skinny little girl are entirely different things. When Eminem threatens to smack Hillary Duff around, and no one bats an eye, get back to us.

Cain
17th September 2009, 05:40 PM
Oprah's ratings are hitting almost all-time lows. The brief article I saw speculates that her Obama support may have alienated conservative women. Plus, she's not picking up younger viewers, who see Oprah as someone their mom follows. As for Cruise, I still think the American public had a crazier response than any of his couch-jumping. It's insane how people are so harshly judgmental when it comes to those personal appearances. Why not bother criticizing his acting, or movie choices? For over twenty years the guy had a squeaky clean life-style, so far as anyone knows.

Dorian Gray
17th September 2009, 05:43 PM
The wrongness of the OP!!!!!!! It burns!!!!!!!

Michael Richards? Mel Gibson? Rush Limbaugh when he made the comments about Donovan McNabb? Etc?

Kanye West said W doesn't care about black people, and that didn't even get as much coverage as this is getting. And think about what you're saying. Tom Cruise went on Oprah. Quick - what color is Oprah? And even the President said Kanye West is a jackass. Because he was.

Have we forgiven Larry Craig, or Mark Foley, or the governors of Utah and SC, or Phil Spector? Have we forgiven Joe Wilson for shouting "You liar!"?

And Janet Jackson obviously planned that thing with Timberlake. It was her boob, that's why she apologized. Had it been Timberlake's nut sack, he'd be the one apologizing (show my junk at the Super Bowl and I jizz. in. my. pants)

HarryHenderson
17th September 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm sure pretty much everyone consider Cruise and Gibson to be bigger dicks than West, so there goes another racial myth.
And they might be (and probably have), but they also possess something he's still in left field looking for...talent.

Kurse
17th September 2009, 07:10 PM

I've been called racist because I didn't give a guy (who i didnt know) a ride, in a car that wasn't mine, and while I couldn't drive AND I wasn't even going in that direction anyways. I would usually say, "Thanks anyways.", not get pissed about it.

Whats worse is that most of the people who whine and cry about "because im black blah blah blah" usually aren't even 'black'. Most aren't even African-American (even though no matter how hard I try to find Africa America), since there are many different races.

Just to let you know, I'm German-British-Native-American to be exact.

LostAngeles
17th September 2009, 07:13 PM
I've been called racist because I didn't give a guy (who i didnt know) a ride, in a car that wasn't mine, and while I couldn't drive AND I wasn't even going in that direction anyways. I would usually say, "Thanks anyways.", not get pissed about it.

Whats worse is that most of the people who whine and cry about "because im black blah blah blah" usually aren't even 'black'. Most aren't even African-American (even though no matter how hard I try to find Africa America), since there are many different races.

Just to let you know, I'm German-British-Native-American to be exact.

Do you look for Italy-America too?

How do you know who is black?

http://twitter.com/LstAngeles

That's my twitter. That's me in the corner. Can you tell what race I am?

Kurse
17th September 2009, 07:22 PM
Do you look for Italy-America too?

How do you know who is black?

http://twitter.com/LstAngeles

Never said I could find out what race you were from looking, or else I would win the million dollar challenge.

It's called DNA my friend. I know what the majority of my 'race' is.

Also, I never call anyone Italian-American. Because when I simply call them Italians, they do not try to rip my face off.
And just like how I'm not just German, or just British, or just Native American, neither is someone JUST African. I never call someone black, or white, or yellow. I call them by what they are, humans. The whole concept of race is stupid.

Skeptic Ginger
17th September 2009, 08:00 PM
Oh yes, I remember the good ol days. Remember when everything was 'X'? But not anymore dag nab it. Now we have to put up with 'Y'.

LostAngeles
17th September 2009, 08:14 PM
Never said I could find out what race you were from looking, or else I would win the million dollar challenge.

It's called DNA my friend. I know what the majority of my 'race' is.

Also, I never call anyone Italian-American. Because when I simply call them Italians, they do not try to rip my face off.
And just like how I'm not just German, or just British, or just Native American, neither is someone JUST African. I never call someone black, or white, or yellow. I call them by what they are, humans. The whole concept of race is stupid.

Then how can you say the people who are talking about something having happened, "because they're black," aren't black? How do you know?

Also, if you call them, "humans," how do you know of getting your face ripped off when you call someone Italian or something along those lines?

Kurse
17th September 2009, 09:21 PM
Then how can you say the people who are talking about something having happened, "because they're black," aren't black? How do you know?

Because I'm not ignorant enough to think that someone is pure blood. No one is anymore. This day and age it's pretty much impossible unless you find an undiscovered village high up in the mountains or in the middle of the jungle, and even so they aren't in society obviously.
If you were born in America, chances are you aren't pure blood, so get used to it. America is called a melting pot for a reason.

Also, if you call them, "humans," how do you know of getting your face ripped off when you call someone Italian or something along those lines?

Because I tried calling them what they wanted then I started being called racist, so I started to call them what they really are. Just people. Humans, that guy, that girl. What ever.

Any more questions destined to fail?

Ryokan
17th September 2009, 09:31 PM
That's me in the corner.

Losing your religion?

tyr_13
17th September 2009, 09:57 PM
Losing your religion?

That's me in the spot-light.

REM abuse... :(

LostAngeles
17th September 2009, 10:09 PM
Because I'm not ignorant enough to think that someone is pure blood. No one is anymore. This day and age it's pretty much impossible unless you find an undiscovered village high up in the mountains or in the middle of the jungle, and even so they aren't in society obviously.
If you were born in America, chances are you aren't pure blood, so get used to it. America is called a melting pot for a reason.

And unfortunately, we still use racial classifications.

Also, you don't actually get to tell people what they are. If other people were allowed to tell you their ethnic classification, I'd be an Egyptian Sicilian Hawaiian Mexican.

Because I tried calling them what they wanted then I started being called racist, so I started to call them what they really are. Just people. Humans, that guy, that girl. What ever.

Any more questions destined to fail?

What were you calling them? Were you bringing it up constantly?

Kurse
17th September 2009, 10:23 PM
And unfortunately, we still use racial classifications.

Also, you don't actually get to tell people what they are. If other people were allowed to tell you their ethnic classification, I'd be an Egyptian Sicilian Hawaiian Mexican.

Okay, Egyptian-Sicilian-Hawaiian-Mexican-American.
And I'm not telling people what they are, but I know darn well what they aren't, and that's pure blood anything. What I did specify was what I was.

As for the racial classifications, that's left for people to decide. I personally do not use it, if I did then everyone would be classified very specifically in my eyes.

What were you calling them? Were you bringing it up constantly?

No, people like the OP get mad at one thing, and blame it on racism. It's stupid. So unless I knew the person's name I would call them guy, boy, girl, woman, or chick.

makaya325
17th September 2009, 10:25 PM
I still do not understand what the big fuss is all about. True, what Kanye did at the VMA'S was wrong and uncalled for, but it is not justified to let this become an ongoing issue and distraction. He is, afterall, Human, and showed his wild side Sunday night. Let the man make his music, and move on.

Travis
17th September 2009, 10:49 PM
I still do not understand what the big fuss is all about. True, what Kanye did at the VMA'S was wrong and uncalled for, but it is not justified to let this become an ongoing issue and distraction. He is, afterall, Human, and showed his wild side Sunday night. Let the man make his music, and move on.

Had it been a first offense it might not be that much of an issue but Kanye has, let's just say, a history of this type of thing.

Ranb
18th September 2009, 01:16 AM
Would I be out of line to say that people who misbehave in public at the expense of others are publicity whores, and that the media personalities who book them on their shows to take advantage of that publicity are their pimps?

Ranb

Matthew Best
18th September 2009, 01:21 AM
Yes, he does:

GdDO3TJRbUY

Eddie Dane
18th September 2009, 02:12 AM
Yes, he does:

GdDO3TJRbUY

That guy is a jackass.

Kahalachan
18th September 2009, 02:26 AM

We have recent evidence that says otherwise.

A black president was rudely interrupted by a white congressman yelling "You lie!" and the press crucified him and it was all over the news.

A white singer was rudely interrupted by a black singer and the press crucified him and it was all over the news.

Explanation for recent evidence that completely contradicts you?

GreyICE
18th September 2009, 06:25 AM
I don't see this. First, Kayne West is a dick who has a long history of being a dick. As many people have noted, this is NOT the first time. He's interrupted stuff before, and never particularly been called out for it.

The immense injustice of his call out, the fact that the video he was referencing won "Best Music Video of the Year" (thus disqualifying it from the (lesser) award being given out), the fact that Beyonce was such a class act compared to him (and every initial story I heard about it referenced her classy actions), it all says to me that the media is roundly castigating a jerk for being a jerk.

Also, something you have to take into account is what is called 'slow news week.' Dumb celebrity does something during the Madoff Scandal going down, everyone... doesn't notice. Page 5, meh.

This news week has been, lets see... Health Care, Republicans are douches, Health Care, Republicans are douches, Democrats... nope, still invertebrates. Kayne is a refreshing break for them.

Checked Google home page. Obama is dismantling missile program, Health Care (ye gods, Health Care), a bunch of foreign stuff that Americans don't care about (okay, stereotyping, but really, dead people in Pakistan, nutjob in Iran is... nuts, NATO chatting with Russia). Yeah, Kayne's been a breath of fresh air.

Matthew Best
18th September 2009, 07:24 AM
It's Kanye, not Kayne.

GreyICE
18th September 2009, 07:27 AM
It's Kanye, not Kayne.

And I care because...

Matthew Best
18th September 2009, 07:28 AM
... you would like to appear to be someone who is capable of reading and writing?

fuelair
18th September 2009, 07:35 AM
Actually, had it been a white man going up and interrupting a black woman -- especially to say that another white woman was better than her -- there'd be screams to high heaven from the black community about racism. The person guilty of this (regardless of whether their motivation was racist or not) would be forced to make countless public apologies, and would generally be excoriated in the media.

What about Mel Gibson...his drunken comments were not passed over, but rather he became the target of nationwide scorn, and condemnation from his peers in the acting industry.

Sorry...but there's nothing "real" about the issue you are claiming here.
Yes, Al Sharpton would be on it immediately - just like he jumped on K.W. for doing it for real!! Oh, wait,.....................:D

LostAngeles
18th September 2009, 09:35 AM
Okay, Egyptian-Sicilian-Hawaiian-Mexican-American.

I'm not.

And I'm not telling people what they are, but I know darn well what they aren't, and that's pure blood anything. What I did specify was what I was.

As for the racial classifications, that's left for people to decide. I personally do not use it, if I did then everyone would be classified very specifically in my eyes.

Except that you said you did. See further response

No, people like the OP get mad at one thing, and blame it on racism. It's stupid. So unless I knew the person's name I would call them guy, boy, girl, woman, or chick.

That doesn't answer my question. You said you were calling people, "what they wanted to be called," and implied that this would, "get your face ripped off."

So what did you call them? Did you keep bringing up their race/perceived race?

And are you now implying that racism doesn't exist? I agree the OP was stupid, but come on.

GreyICE
18th September 2009, 10:16 AM
... you would like to appear to be someone who is capable of reading and writing?

Unlike someone else who continues to post with nothing to say?

Kurse
18th September 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm not.
----------------------------------------------
If other people were allowed to tell you their ethnic classification, I'd be an Egyptian Sicilian Hawaiian Mexican.
^^-----Answer------^^
That doesn't answer my question. You said you were calling people, "what they wanted to be called," and implied that this would, "get your face ripped off."

So what did you call them? Did you keep bringing up their race/perceived race?

And are you now implying that racism doesn't exist? I agree the OP was stupid, but come on.

Never said racism didn't exist. I said it shouldn't because it's concept is rediculous

And if I HAD to call them something it would be, American or African. And just that ticks them off. (or should I say it angers the ones where I live.) I don't want to bring race up, but when someone gets aggressive about it then I may as well call them by what they want, but I will refuse to call them both African-American, only one or the other. And I have also made that known, that if they wanted to be proud they were "black" (<--what they said) then they should be called African (except for their whole genetic mix if they told me) or American because they were proud to be an American. If they did tell me exactly what they were, then yes, I would call them African-Egyptian-French-Irish-American or what ever they were.

As for Kanye, I'm sure he has some "white" in his genes. So no matter what I guess he gets the crappy end of the stick either way. Racism is stupid, and completely ignorant. People complaining about Kanye West getting in trouble just shows your ignorant too. He had absolutely no right to do what he did to Taylor Swift. And I'm sure if Kanye was "white", and Taylor was "black", The African population would be in such an uproar over racism, "white" people would be mad at the guy too but they would be recieving punishment from "blacks" over something they didn't do themselves, and Obama will still call the guy a jackass.

LostAngeles
18th September 2009, 12:53 PM

^^-----Answer------^^

Point missed.

Never said racism didn't exist. I said it shouldn't because it's concept is rediculous

And if I HAD to call them something it would be, American or African. And just that ticks them off. (or should I say it angers the ones where I live.) I don't want to bring race up, but when someone gets aggressive about it then I may as well call them by what they want, but I will refuse to call them both African-American, only one or the other. And I have also made that known, that if they wanted to be proud they were "black" (<--what they said) then they should be called African (except for their whole genetic mix if they told me) or American because they were proud to be an American. If they did tell me exactly what they were, then yes, I would call them African-Egyptian-French-Irish-American or what ever they were.

As for Kanye, I'm sure he has some "white" in his genes. So no matter what I guess he gets the crappy end of the stick either way. Racism is stupid, and completely ignorant. People complaining about Kanye West getting in trouble just shows your ignorant too. He had absolutely no right to do what he did to Taylor Swift. And I'm sure if Kanye was "white", and Taylor was "black", The African population would be in such an uproar over racism, "white" people would be mad at the guy too but they would be recieving punishment from "blacks" over something they didn't do themselves, and Obama will still call the guy a jackass.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3929675283_c36e13521a.jpg

Kurse
18th September 2009, 01:48 PM
Point missed.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3929675283_c36e13521a.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x51/Ruinic1/whining.jpg

gtc
18th September 2009, 05:00 PM
Does anyone else think that Egyptian Sicilian Hawaiian Mexican would be awesome version of the Quattro Stagione Pizza?

Kurse
18th September 2009, 10:33 PM
Does anyone else think that Egyptian Sicilian Hawaiian Mexican would be awesome version of the Quattro Stagione Pizza?

OMG, nice lol.

Quinn
19th September 2009, 01:26 AM
Do you think I am wrong?

59 posts later, the answer is, yes.

Matthew Best
19th September 2009, 01:49 AM
Unlike someone else who continues to post with nothing to say?

Irony?

BPScooter
19th September 2009, 02:42 AM
The funny thing to me (perhaps blinded by my perspective) is that I didn't really bother to notice which racial group Celebrity #1 belonged to when he/she confronted Celebrity #2. C1 was insulting C2, and taking a few pawns out. This has been done often, and if the "heat" is there, then we'll have to consider the "kitchen."

I never engage in this sort of thing in real life. Why, oh why, are we giving so much attention to these marginally talented pop figures?

Undesired Walrus
19th September 2009, 03:02 AM
Can't we get to the stage when we simply report that a man acted like a jerk, rather than reporting that a black man acted like a jerk?

makaya325
19th September 2009, 09:11 AM
Had it been a first offense it might not be that much of an issue but Kanye has, let's just say, a history of this type of thing.

I find it comical that nobody has made a big deal out of his past history , and NOW show their true feelings when many people are criticizing his VMA Behavior. Why couldn't somebody call him out before his interruption of Taylor Swift's speech? It seems like people just want to jump on the bandwagon and follow the crowd

Dorian Gray
20th September 2009, 04:32 PM
What past history? He said W doesn't care about black people a few years ago.. and then what?

And what do you think people should do when someone acts up? Do you think people who don't live in NYC were just jumping on the bandwagon when they criticized Osama bin Laden? Nobody made a big deal of his past history, you know...

makaya325
20th September 2009, 04:55 PM
What past history? He said W doesn't care about black people a few years ago.. and then what?

And what do you think people should do when someone acts up? Do you think people who don't live in NYC were just jumping on the bandwagon when they criticized Osama bin Laden? Nobody made a big deal of his past history, you know...

No one made a big deal when Kanye criticized BUSH, but they make a big deal when he interrupted a bubblegum pop singer at the Silly VMA'S.

Travis
20th September 2009, 05:06 PM

There are also the magazine covers. He's notorious for crashing parties, photoshoots and recording sessions where he's not wanted.

No one made a big deal when Kanye criticized BUSH, but they make a big deal when he interrupted a bubblegum pop singer at the Silly VMA'S.

I seem to remember lots of people making a big deal about his out-of-place comments about Bush. It totally sidetracked like a week of Katrina coverage on the news.*

*Granted if they weren't talking about Kanye they would have just been making up more reports about rapes in the Superdome and maybe RPG's getting shot at helicopters all the while Geraldo is shedding little tears.

BPScooter
21st September 2009, 12:51 AM
To put this in my own way of saying it: When folks that have a record of "rocking the boat" and being provocatively disruptive, and such, become famous, well... that means I usually lose interest in their musical gifts until they produce some really good stuff. If/when they become celebrities Because of their images and records of jerkish behavior, then I lose even more interest. So the way to make me better inclined toward the disruptor would be to point out some of his best music. Geez, imagine if Mick Jagger got up and took the mike away from Paul McCartney or something (not that these recent pea-brainers are in that league). Couldn't even imagine it. This was an awards show, right?

Matthew Best
21st September 2009, 04:04 AM

I posted this video just further up the page:

GdDO3TJRbUY

Liszt
21st September 2009, 04:10 AM

unintentionally hilarious.

GreyICE
21st September 2009, 06:11 AM
Irony?

You'd have no idea if you saw it.

Upchurch
21st September 2009, 07:18 AM
REM abuse... :(
Speaking of which (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_on_the_Moon_%28song%29), my wife has a pet theory that Kanye West is trying to take up an Andy Kaufman-like role in the world, only not doing a very good job of it.

zerospeaks
21st September 2009, 07:24 AM
Kanye West is trying to take up an Andy Kaufman-like role in the world, only not doing a very good job of it.

Nah, that's joaquin phoenix

Bill Thompson
6th October 2009, 07:41 AM
Hitler finds out Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift at the VMAs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PwqvwyG54

Bill Thompson
6th October 2009, 12:36 PM
Hitler finds out Kanye West Disses Taylor Swift at the VMAs

T0PwqvwyG54

ponderingturtle
6th October 2009, 01:17 PM

I go with either Human of Halfling. Certainly not elf, dwarf, or Half Orc.

Cleon
6th October 2009, 02:05 PM
I go with either Human of Halfling. Certainly not elf, dwarf, or Half Orc.

Dragonborn. Believe me, she can breathe fire when she wants to.