PDA

View Full Version : Things That Should NOT be Part of TAM

Wowbagger
26th February 2010, 02:22 PM
These days, I am fairly sure that the fine TAM organizers, at JREF, have no shortage of genuinely good ideas for things that should be part of the conference. However, it might pay to remind everyone, every now and them, of the sorts of things that should NOT be part of TAM. This is a thread for listing them.

A Beauty Contest (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=148205)
Premium Seating (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=168239) / Attendee Caste System
Mandatory Church Service
Free Can of JREF-Branded Silly String for Every Attendee!!
A Sweat Lodge

The Central Scrutinizer
26th February 2010, 03:13 PM
I never did follow up on my trivia night idea, although I think I might have sent an email to Jeff.

Oh well, there's always TAM XIV

Marquis de Carabas
26th February 2010, 03:17 PM
Refusing to buy the Marquis and Kate alcohol
DrBuzz0
The "Lick Scrut's Belly Button for a Dollar" booth

The Central Scrutinizer
26th February 2010, 03:27 PM

Hey, you played last year!

Marquis de Carabas
26th February 2010, 04:42 PM
Hey, you played last year!
Played? I won.

Wowbagger
26th February 2010, 05:25 PM
Refusing to buy the Marquis and Kate alcoholI'll buy you two a ginger ale. Does that sound good?

DrBuzz0
Too many people might enjoy those things. Not me, of course. But, there is no reason to ban them, since they could be rather popular and mostly harmless.

Horatius
26th February 2010, 05:59 PM
Free Can of JREF-Branded Silly String for Every Attendee!!

At this point, I must demand a Can of JREF-Branded Silly String!

I could set up my "Hit a Guy in the Head With a Stick" Booth, if you'd like.

Just let me know.

And I'm serious.

I'll split it 50-50 with the JREF.

Srysly.

NoZed Avenger
26th February 2010, 06:01 PM
Played? I won.

They only way to win is not to play.

Wowbagger
26th February 2010, 06:13 PM
At this point, I must demand a Can of JREF-Branded Silly String! Jeff would be annoyed.

There are many, many other free JREF-branded gifts that wouldn't be such a good idea, for much of the same reason:

Whoopee Cushions
Stink Bombs
Rubber Band Guns
Tasers
Etc.

But, most of those have obvious problems. I think Silly String would be the most plausible thing to warn them about.

Horatius
26th February 2010, 06:25 PM
Jeff would be annoyed.

You've failed to consider the possibility that I want to annoy Jeff.

Sc00ter
26th February 2010, 06:38 PM
You've failed to consider the possibility that I want to annoy Jeff.

Who doesn't!

Horatius
26th February 2010, 06:44 PM
Who doesn't!

Wowbagger, apparently.

RSLancastr
26th February 2010, 06:50 PM
Free laser pointers. (Worst. TAM. Idea. ever.)

Speakers who read their PowerPoint slides to the audience, verbatim.

Speakers who read their latest book to the audience, verbatim.

Speakers who go on and on about having a stroke.

fuelair
26th February 2010, 06:50 PM
Silent prayer.

Old Maid game. For money.

A reading of chapters from the latest Twilight "novel" by the "author".

Showing of "2012".

Showing of any D. Avery film, unless he is present and securely bound to the podium next the screen/monitor.

An appearance of A. Conan Doyle to speak on why he was really right about the spirit world and fairies.

Horatius
26th February 2010, 06:59 PM
An appearance of A. Conan Doyle to speak on why he was really right about the spirit world and fairies.

Were he available, I think this would be mandatory.

paperskater
26th February 2010, 07:02 PM

I beg to differ. That was AWESOME. :newlol

arthwollipot
26th February 2010, 07:04 PM
I beg to differ. That was AWESOME. :newlolThey're also illegal to bring in to Australia.

I think the JREF should have more branded merchandise, not less. So far I have a t-shirt and a sharpie. This is a pretty piss poor effort, in my opinion.

hcmom
26th February 2010, 07:07 PM
Jeff would be annoyed.

There are many, many other free JREF-branded gifts that wouldn't be such a good idea, for much of the same reason:

Whoopee Cushions
Stink Bombs
Rubber Band Guns
Tasers
Etc.

But, most of those have obvious problems. I think Silly String would be the most plausible thing to warn them about.

Hell, I'd pay for one of each of these...

paperskater
26th February 2010, 07:19 PM
They're also illegal to bring in to Australia.

See, that puzzles me due to the fact that you guys have wild animals running around in your backyard that can kill you easily... and laser pointers are illegal? ;)

RSLancastr
26th February 2010, 07:23 PM

tell that to all the blinded speakers.

strimmer
26th February 2010, 07:29 PM
Jeff would be annoyed.

Whoopee Cushions
Stink Bombs
Rubber Band Guns
Tasers
Etc.

The laser pointers at TAM 6 showed how out of control Skeptics can get with small annoying gadgetry.

RSLancastr
26th February 2010, 07:30 PM

I think the JREF should have more branded merchandise, not less. So far I have a t-shirt and a sharpie. This is a pretty piss poor effort, in my opinion.

What about a Randi bobble-head doll, made in such a way that the head will only shake "no"?

paperskater
26th February 2010, 07:31 PM
tell that to all the blinded speakers.

Did anyone actually get injured by that? To me, it just looked like people were shining them up on the wall above the speakers. I guess I'm just naive enough to think that everyone knew about laser safety and not actually shine it in someone's eyes, especially a room full of very smart people.

:boggled:

strimmer
26th February 2010, 07:34 PM

Reading power point slides is often the case for the Sunday presenters.

I have yet seen anyone reading from their book; however, I would imagine that I would try to forget that sort of thing.

Long meanderings about having a stroke are acceptable in my book, just as long as it isn't what is keeping the audience from lunch :) (We love you for it Robert!)

kittynh
26th February 2010, 08:00 PM
silly string in cans with LASERS on them

Horatius
26th February 2010, 08:07 PM

Add in a few sharks, and we're done!

Wowbagger
26th February 2010, 08:38 PM
Wowbagger, apparently.Oh, no: I actually do try to annoy Jeff, every now and then. The real challenge, for me, is to try to resist doing that, all the time.

The laser pointers at TAM 6 showed how out of control Skeptics can get with small annoying gadgetry.Oh yes, I was there. I imagine Silly String would bring on a whole different beast of annoyance.

I can imagine the entire cleaning staff standing at the edge of the conference area, all doing facepalms at once.

silly string in cans with FRIKIN' lasers on them

mumchup
26th February 2010, 09:23 PM
"Lick Belly Buttons for a Dollar" booth
Not enough people might enjoy those things...

Fixed it.

Horatius
26th February 2010, 09:33 PM
Seriously.

Hit me.

In the Head.

With a stick.

Seriously.

HawaiiBigSis
26th February 2010, 09:51 PM
Seriously.

Hit me.

In the Head.

With a stick.

Seriously.
Sounds like it might be fodder for the talent show... :D

mumchup
26th February 2010, 09:58 PM
Or a great fundraiser. It could be even better than a dunk-tank.

Dicon
26th February 2010, 10:10 PM
There absolutely needs to be a JREF Carnival. Wouldn't you pay big bucks to dunk some of your favorite forum members? How about a game of Pin the Tail on the Scrut?

Wowbagger
26th February 2010, 10:29 PM
There absolutely needs to be a JREF Carnival. This isn't about what JREF needs. This is about what it doesn't need.

If you want to start listing things it might actually need, please start another thread.

MattusMaximus
26th February 2010, 11:10 PM
Seriously.

Hit me.

In the Head.

With a stick.

Seriously.

You're just trying to one-up my awesomeness from last year's TAM Talent Show :p

http://forums.randi.org/imagehosting/thum_77474b08c7b0ce678.jpg (http://forums.randi.org/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=18254)

TAM doesn't need anyone one-upping my bed-of-nails awesomeness. ;)

arthwollipot
27th February 2010, 05:21 AM
See, that puzzles me due to the fact that you guys have wild animals running around in your backyard that can kill you easily... and laser pointers are illegal? ;)A couple of years ago we had a rash of dazzle attacks against aircraft on landing approach. So they were made illegal - "terrorist weapons".

xinit
27th February 2010, 06:24 AM

Whoopee Cushions
Stink Bombs
Rubber Band Guns
Tasers
Etc.

I was surprised when I was in Los Angeles and saw signs reminding people that silly string is illegal...

What about JREF branded communion wafers and sacramental wine?

xinit
27th February 2010, 06:27 AM
I have yet seen anyone reading from their book; however, I would imagine that I would try to forget that sort of thing.

Author readings aren't horrible... as long as the author is a good reader. Dawkins was okay when I saw him at his latest book tour, but he did venture off script occasionally.

RSLancastr
27th February 2010, 07:30 AM
Did anyone actually get injured by that? To me, it just looked like people were shining them up on the wall above the speakers. I guess I'm just naive enough to think that everyone knew about laser safety and not actually shine it in someone's eyes, especially a room full of very smart people.

Nobody got injured tomy knowledge, but there were times laser dots appeared on a speaker's forehead. So much for a roomful of very smart people!

RSLancastr
27th February 2010, 07:36 AM

Shermer did this one year. He had just published a pocket-sized book, and proceeded to read the entire thing to the TAM audience, at, I believe, TAM5.

Long meanderings about having a stroke are acceptable in my book, just as long as it isn't what is keeping the audience from lunch :) (We love you for it Robert!)
:o

Cleon
27th February 2010, 07:46 AM
Shermer did this one year. He had just published a pocket-sized book, and proceeded to read the entire thing to the TAM audience, at, I believe, TAM5.

And the rest of the time, he just reads from his slides.

I refer to Shermer's presentation as "poker hour."

The Central Scrutinizer
27th February 2010, 08:26 AM

Does his name rhyme with Hermer?

Does his name rhyme with Termer?

Princess Grace was at TAM?

Wowbagger
27th February 2010, 12:13 PM
I refer to Shermer's presentation as "poker hour."To be fair, his presentation at TAM7 was an improvement over previous years. It was NOT a perfect presentation, granted. But, it was an improvement: For one thing, his slides were there for visual aids, not for walls of text.

This year, he might do an even better job, if his rate of improvement is kept up.

fuelair
27th February 2010, 12:26 PM

Just as a friendly note, the danger of eye damage from red beam laser pointers - especially at the power level of giveaway ones - is vanishingly tiny. Only liklihood of damge is if one trips because of lowered ability to see from the eye being beamed at the time and this causes them to miss an object and trip. This is similar to the actual danger from being 9 or 10 years old and playing with a puddle of mercury in your hand, coating some pennies with it and throwing it down on the ground when you are tired with it. Which many, many, many kids did when I was that age range - ncluding me. Also was in a chem class where Dirty Dan the Chemistry Man heated cinnabar in an open test tube in the room, not under a hood, to show us how to remove mercury from it's ore. And passed the open tube around for us to closely observe the hot, slightly vaporizing, mercury. Of course we all died of mercury poisoning.:D

There is dangerous and there is dangerous. And sometimes dangerous is not what it is thought to be!!:):):)

P.S. Up to 5mW green lasers ($100 price range) do not seem to do harm to the eyes either. I will assume, though, that the same in blue light one's - the ones that can light a match head - do, so I will not test them out on me or others!!:jaw-dropp:jaw-dropp:D:jaw-dropp

El_Spectre
27th February 2010, 12:28 PM

BS. As long as the speech is given in person, I'm all for it.

Sc00ter
27th February 2010, 01:19 PM
Just as a friendly note, the danger of eye damage from red beam laser pointers - especially at the power level of giveaway ones - is vanishingly tiny. Only liklihood of damge is if one trips because of lowered ability to see from the eye being beamed at the time and this causes them to miss an object and trip. This is similar to the actual danger from being 9 or 10 years old and playing with a puddle of mercury in your hand, coating some pennies with it and throwing it down on the ground when you are tired with it. Which many, many, many kids did when I was that age range - ncluding me. Also was in a chem class where Dirty Dan the Chemistry Man heated cinnabar in an open test tube in the room, not under a hood, to show us how to remove mercury from it's ore. And passed the open tube around for us to closely observe the hot, slightly vaporizing, mercury. Of course we all died of mercury poisoning.:D

There is dangerous and there is dangerous. And sometimes dangerous is not what it is thought to be!!:):):)

P.S. Up to 5mW green lasers ($100 price range) do not seem to do harm to the eyes either. I will assume, though, that the same in blue light one's - the ones that can light a match head - do, so I will not test them out on me or others!!:jaw-dropp:jaw-dropp:D:jaw-dropp

I remember listening to Dr. Dean Edell on the radio talking about this, and they actually had people stare at laser pointers until they went blind to see low long it took. It was something crazy like 15minutes constant..

Who would do this? Turns out the test subjects were getting their eyes removed anyway due to cancer.

fuelair
27th February 2010, 05:11 PM
I remember listening to Dr. Dean Edell on the radio talking about this, and they actually had people stare at laser pointers until they went blind to see low long it took. It was something crazy like 15minutes constant..

Who would do this? Turns out the test subjects were getting their eyes removed anyway due to cancer.

I am sorry he was able to find volunteers (rather no one had the situation), and proud of those who allowed a final useful act to end their vision.

El_Spectre
27th February 2010, 05:18 PM

For what it's worth, the danger isn't all in how much damage is caused. Some years ago, I was at a sporting event, and some fool on the other side of the arena was either trying to light up the athletes, or annoy me. Either way, I got a red laser directly in the eyes repeatedly, and several times (not always, interestingly), it was completely blinding and disorienting. If I'd been walking, I probably would have fallen down.

I believe the same issue is why they prosecute people who light up aircraft during final approach. It simply does not do to blind (even for a second or two) a pilot trying to land 200 people, 100 feet off the ground.

Miss_Kitt
28th February 2010, 01:14 AM
Missing the Dr Pepper because it takes too long to get to the beverage service with a leg-cast.
My daughter missing meeting Adam Savage.
Missing part of a speaker's time due to the distance to the Ladies Room and the quantity of beverage consumed in the last 8 hours.
Miss_Kitt missing TAM8 due to sudden poverty. :cry1

More seriously, people standing up and conversing in the middle of the seating area while a speaker / presentation is going on. If you wish to talk, crouch, bend down, or move to the side of the room, please!

Speakers reading their slides to the audience--wait, somebody already mentioned that. ;)

Andrew Wiggin
28th February 2010, 02:07 AM
Seriously.

Hit me.

In the Head.

With a stick.

Seriously.
Wrong organization though. Around here we call that the 'SCA', specifically 'armoured combat'

A

arthwollipot
28th February 2010, 03:49 AM
I believe the same issue is why they prosecute people who light up aircraft during final approach. It simply does not do to blind (even for a second or two) a pilot trying to land 200 people, 100 feet off the ground.This is why they're illegal in Australia.

SkepticScott
28th February 2010, 06:44 AM
I believe the same issue is why they prosecute people who light up aircraft during final approach. It simply does not do to blind (even for a second or two) a pilot trying to land 200 people, 100 feet off the ground.A member of my astronomy club pointed out that you probably won't hit a pilot's eye from the ground. However, the windscreen may fluoresce, having a worse effect as it also could affect the co-pilot.

El_Spectre
28th February 2010, 09:52 AM
This is why they're illegal in Australia.

Yeah, Australia seems to have "ban it if it *could be* dangerous" as a standard gov't policy. A shame, that.

fuelair
28th February 2010, 10:52 AM
For what it's worth, the danger isn't all in how much damage is caused. Some years ago, I was at a sporting event, and some fool on the other side of the arena was either trying to light up the athletes, or annoy me. Either way, I got a red laser directly in the eyes repeatedly, and several times (not always, interestingly), it was completely blinding and disorienting. If I'd been walking, I probably would have fallen down.

I believe the same issue is why they prosecute people who light up aircraft during final approach. It simply does not do to blind (even for a second or two) a pilot trying to land 200 people, 100 feet off the ground.

That's why I pointed out that re:tripping. I just note danger in the sense of the warning labels on very low intensity/power lasers - the same thing can occur from the use of many of the current LED flashlights but they are unlabeled.

My real point is that applying/forcing warning labels that may exagerrate the liklihood of damage from a specific source may have the effect, when people begin realizing that the danger is really not present or requires MUCH more than a short/casual exposure, of them paying no attention to warnings that represent real, immediate danger. In the case of Mercury, yes, it really is dangerous to eat it, breathe it's fumes constantly for a long period of time (months.years), inject it, coat pennies with it and suck on them, etc. But playing with it as we did as kids (50s and 60s for me) really caused no problems for anyone I am aware of - including DD's chem students over the years.

fuelair
28th February 2010, 11:00 AM
A member of my astronomy club pointed out that you probably won't hit a pilot's eye from the ground. However, the windscreen may fluoresce, having a worse effect as it also could affect the co-pilot.

I assume the astronomy club cannot use green or blue l.p.s to point at sky objects so it is easy for all to tell what they are looking for/at. Since I assume all lps are disallowed, not just the cheap and least power red ones.

In case why is not obvious, green and blue lasers have a path that can be followed by the naked eye for quite a way up and make it wicked easy to tell which celestial object they are pointing at - so novices can easily follow discussions of the night sky during outside/observation gatherings. Many here mount them on their telescopes for this reason.:)

SkepticScott
28th February 2010, 02:26 PM
I assume the astronomy club cannot use green or blue l.p.sWe use them since they are legal here. It is illegal to point them at airplanes. That's how it should be IMHO: dangerous uses prohibited but all other uses OK.

mumchup
28th February 2010, 03:26 PM
Around here we refer to them as "cat toys".

Dicon
28th February 2010, 08:46 PM
There absolutely needs to be a JREF Carnival.

This isn't about what JREF needs. This is about what it doesn't need.

If you want to start listing things it might actually need, please start another thread.

There absolutely should NOT be the absence of carnival events.

UnrepentantSinner
28th February 2010, 08:54 PM

That wasn't someone trying to annoy you. That was a botched assasination attempt.

The Central Scrutinizer
1st March 2010, 06:07 AM

Was the cancer caused by staring at the lasers?

xinit
1st March 2010, 06:11 AM
Was the cancer caused by staring at the lasers?

Hang on... maybe the lasers went back in time, before the subject got cancer, and CAUSED the cancer. This is likely due to something the LHC did...

alfaniner
1st March 2010, 08:30 AM
Longest back hair contest.

Durian tasting event.

Panels on Sylvia Browne Makeup Tips and the John Edward Ballroom Dancing Method.

El_Spectre
1st March 2010, 02:00 PM
That wasn't someone trying to annoy you. That was a botched assasination attempt.

Years ago, on a visit to Defcon (hacker conference), a speaker made a joke about getting assasinated. He thought the round of laughter was at the great joke... he didn't realize that a buncha jokers in the crowd had lit him up with about 10 laser pointers, instantly :)

xinit
1st March 2010, 02:31 PM
Years ago, on a visit to Defcon (hacker conference), a speaker made a joke about getting assasinated. He thought the round of laughter was at the great joke... he didn't realize that a buncha jokers in the crowd had lit him up with about 10 laser pointers, instantly :)

I've meant to hit Defcon in the past, but the idea of summer in Vegas disturbed me... now, here I am, registering for TAM...

SkepticScott
1st March 2010, 02:40 PM
the idea of summer in Vegas disturbed meIt's a dry heat ... outside. Inside, the air conditioning takes away the "heat" part. I find myself needing lip balm and hand lotion after two or three days.

The Central Scrutinizer
1st March 2010, 02:43 PM
Kilts.

Yes, you're an individualist. We get it. But we're not in Scotland, and you look like an idiot.

Cleon
1st March 2010, 02:56 PM
Kilts.

Yes, you're an individualist. We get it. But we're not in Scotland, and you look like an idiot.

Worse, utilikilts. Congratulations; you just spent $300 on a pair of cargo shorts with no crotch. You must be very proud of your Scottish heritage, Szablowski.

Wowbagger
1st March 2010, 02:59 PM
Kilts.

I disagree. Real men wear kilts. (http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bards12/from/celtic/)

Geek Goddess
1st March 2010, 05:06 PM
To be fair, his presentation at TAM7 was an improvement over previous years. It was NOT a perfect presentation, granted. But, it was an improvement: For one thing, his slides were there for visual aids, not for walls of text.

This year, he might do an even better job, if his rate of improvement is kept up.

Yes, he actually said a few things that were not read off his slides or from his book. Big improvement

:rolleyes:

Wowbagger
1st March 2010, 06:46 PM
Here are some more things to add to the list, in case they were not obvious:

The Hazing of the Noobs
A Panel Discussion of Elderly Magicians in the Nude
Serving Freshly Opened Cans of Surströmming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming) at the Buffet
An Aristocrats Performance - Not a recital of the joke, but an actual performance of a type of act depicted in the joke. Ugh.
A Performance by K&K Mime (http://www.kkmime.com/main.html)

fuelair
1st March 2010, 07:27 PM
There absolutely should NOT be the absence of carnival events.

No cunning stunts at all???!!! Darn, darn I say emphatically:jaw-dropp:D!!

Sc00ter
1st March 2010, 07:27 PM
Cheezeburgers in a can (http://www.gizmag.com/the-canned-cheeseburger--fast-food-in-the-wilderness/8713/)

Whole chicken in a can (http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/04/23/a-whole-chicken-in-a-can/)

Lets just avoid things that come in a can.

fuelair
1st March 2010, 07:31 PM
Here are some more things to add to the list, in case they were not obvious:

The Hazing of the Noobs
A Panel Discussion of Elderly Magicians in the Nude
Serving Freshly Opened Cans of Surströmming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming) at the Buffet
An Aristocrats Performance - Not a recital of the joke, but an actual performance of a type of act depicted in the joke. Ugh.
A Performance by K&K Mime (http://www.kkmime.com/main.html)

I see #4 as a spectacularly great educational idea for some forum members - based on a number of posts in a variety of threads. Puts the E right up the JREF!!:eek::jaw-dropp:D:D:D

El_Spectre
1st March 2010, 08:38 PM
You must be very proud of your Scottish heritage, Szablowski.

I'm ambivalent on the kilt thing, but this is one of the funniest lines I've ever read...

arthwollipot
2nd March 2010, 01:33 AM
Yeah, Australia seems to have "ban it if it *could be* dangerous" as a standard gov't policy. A shame, that.Actually, the ban came after a rash of high-profile dazzle attacks on airliners. Fortunately, no aircraft actually crashed, but it was enough to get a lot of politicians riled up.

El_Spectre
2nd March 2010, 01:52 AM
Actually, the ban came after a rash of high-profile dazzle attacks on airliners. Fortunately, no aircraft actually crashed, but it was enough to get a lot of politicians riled up.

Fair enough. I suppose I was responding to the censorship of the internet, games, etc. Banning seems to be popular amongst the gov't, if not the people. (as opposed to the US, where 1/2 the people want to ban the other half from something, at any given time...)

fishbait
2nd March 2010, 02:49 AM
I guess I'm just naive enough to think that everyone knew about laser safety and not actually shine it in someone's eyes, especially a room full of very smart people.

:boggled:Never look directly at a laser with your remaining eye!

Horatius
2nd March 2010, 05:55 AM
I could set up my "Hit a Guy in the Head With a Stick" Booth, if you'd like.

Just let me know.

And I'm serious.

I'll split it 50-50 with the JREF.

Srysly.

Seriously.

Hit me.

In the Head.

With a stick.

Seriously.

Sounds like it might be fodder for the talent show... :D

Or a great fundraiser. It could be even better than a dunk-tank.

And in a strange coincidence, I got an e-mail the other day that, the weekend before TAM, there is an Iaido seminar in Vancouver with an Iaido Sensei who is in the line my current Sensei studied with before he moved to Canada 30 years ago. It was strongly implied that I should attend.

And the interesting thing is, a 3-legged flight Ottawa-Vancouver-Vegas-Ottawa costs just about exactly the same as my flight to Vegas usually costs.....So, since I'll be carrying most of my martial arts stuff anyway, it would be very easy to add in the stuff needed to Hit Me In The Head With A Stick.

So, seriously, who'd be up for that? The Fates Demand This!

arthwollipot
2nd March 2010, 06:09 AM
And in a strange coincidence, I got an e-mail the other day that, the weekend before TAM, there is an Iaido seminar in Vancouver with an Iaido Sensei who is in the line my current Sensei studied with before he moved to Canada 30 years ago. It was strongly implied that I should attend.

And the interesting thing is, a 3-legged flight Ottawa-Vancouver-Vegas-Ottawa costs just about exactly the same as my flight to Vegas usually costs.....So, since I'll be carrying most of my martial arts stuff anyway, it would be very easy to add in the stuff needed to Hit Me In The Head With A Stick.

So, seriously, who'd be up for that? The Fates Demand This!Dude. You're making me WISH I could afford to attend. Wish more, I mean.

kmortis
2nd March 2010, 08:13 AM
Cheezeburgers in a can (http://www.gizmag.com/the-canned-cheeseburger--fast-food-in-the-wilderness/8713/)

Whole chicken in a can (http://ihatemymessageboard.com/2009/04/23/a-whole-chicken-in-a-can/)

Um....beer?

Sc00ter
2nd March 2010, 08:36 AM
Um....beer?

All the beer served on location is either from a tap or a bottle. At least as far as I remember from TAM7

Wowbagger
2nd March 2010, 08:43 AM
What about whoopass?

mumchup
2nd March 2010, 10:29 AM
Beer comes in bottles and kegs. "Beer" comes in cans.

And, of course, whoopass.

Davidlpf
2nd March 2010, 11:06 AM

How about Prince Albert?

Dicon
2nd March 2010, 11:14 AM
How about Prince Albert?

You'd better let him out, because I heard his refrigerator is running away!

fuelair
2nd March 2010, 05:55 PM
How about Prince Albert?

I believe Prince Albert suffocates in a can - at least he did when I was younger and we all used telephones that were permanently wired to a wall and had dials and would do some real damage if you hit somebody with them. I would be suspicious of anyone known to come in a can, though.:jaw-dropp:jaw-dropp:jaw-dropp

Chicken Pot Pie
2nd March 2010, 08:23 PM
Dr. Pepper comes in a can! ;)

NoZed Avenger
3rd March 2010, 12:01 PM
Dr. Pepper comes in a can! ;)

Wasn't everyone supposed to stop with the whole "p**p*r joke thing?

LadyMitris
5th March 2010, 12:48 PM
1. Boring million dollar challenges
2. Bill Prady's pretty eye panel discussion
3. Penn Jillette v Sharon Begley's Global Warming Showdown
5. Tobias presents his paper: "Alcohol is the work of the devil"

SkepticScott
5th March 2010, 01:08 PM
Don't forget Slyvia Brown's manicure lessons, or has that been mentioned before?

Horatius
5th March 2010, 06:22 PM

Okay, just booked my Triangle Tour.....It's only a buck! 2 hits for 3 bucks!

Phlebas
7th March 2010, 09:57 AM
To be fair, his presentation at TAM7 was an improvement over previous years. It was NOT a perfect presentation, granted. But, it was an improvement: For one thing, his slides were there for visual aids, not for walls of text.

Speaking only for myself, I am going to need more than "an improvement." I missed his presentation last year for various wedding-related duties, and it was the most fun I had at TAM during a Shermer talk ever.

(I think it was TAM 4 when he read his little book to us.)

Phlebas
7th March 2010, 10:01 AM
I admit I only skimmed the thread, but has anyone mentioned furries? I am generally in favor of a comprehensive Furry Ban, but I will take small victories when possible.

The Central Scrutinizer
7th March 2010, 10:46 AM
We should ban people of unusual size. They're always in the way.

Phlebas
7th March 2010, 12:25 PM
We should ban people of unusual size. They're always in the way.

Seriously. Some of you people are inconveniently tiny.

Wowbagger
7th March 2010, 10:30 PM
I admit I only skimmed the thread, but has anyone mentioned furries? I am generally in favor of a comprehensive Furry Ban, but I will take small victories when possible.
Excellent point!! (And, coming from you no less!)

The closest I think we had was that guy who wore a gorilla suit in a straitjacket. He ended up becoming my Galaps roommate.

But, I think it would be best if everyone kept the animal costumes in the privacy of their own hotel rooms, at TAM.

Wowbagger
7th March 2010, 10:37 PM
Some of you people are inconveniently tiny.No. I think Paperskater should definitely be part of TAM!!

arthwollipot
7th March 2010, 10:43 PM
Speaking only for myself, I am going to need more than "an improvement." I missed his presentation last year for various wedding-related duties, and it was the most fun I had at TAM during a Shermer talk ever.Heh heh heh. I was rehearsing smashing a cinder block with a sledgehammer on MattusMaximus' chest. That was fun.

No. I think Paperskater should definitely be part of TAM!!Especially if she brings the bunny ears. Take that furry-haters!

Wowbagger
7th March 2010, 10:57 PM
Especially if she brings the bunny ears. Take that furry-haters!
Yes. That would be an exception to the rule about banning animal costumes.

LostAngeles
7th March 2010, 11:09 PM
Anything I end up doing this weekend in Vegas.

Hokulele
8th March 2010, 12:47 AM
So, since I'll be carrying most of my martial arts stuff anyway, it would be very easy to add in the stuff needed to Hit Me In The Head With A Stick.

This could be the highlight of the poker tournament.

Wowbagger
8th March 2010, 01:44 PM
Things That Should NOT be Part of TAM's Poker Tournament:

Wowbagger
Genuine Card-Detecting Psychics (the fake ones are allowed to play)
Grenades

SkepticScott
8th March 2010, 02:43 PM
Things That Should NOT be Part of TAM's Poker Tournament:
Anyone who says "Should we play Dragon Poker to make it interesting?"

Mattfn
11th March 2010, 08:01 PM
Sleeping in.

Sleep should be (and is) kept to a minimum at TAMs.

And I think the only furries that need to be banned are the ROUS'.......but still keep most of the rest in the rooms. The odd small teddybear or moose is ok (of course I'd say that!).

:moose: :bearface:

Wowbagger
11th March 2010, 10:32 PM
And, of course, Giant Microbes are ok, too. :)

But, hopefully, they won't be selling any "Mr. Pinkys" at any of the booths.

mumchup
12th March 2010, 10:24 AM
Sleeping in.

Sleep should be (and is) kept to a minimum at TAMs.

And I think the only furries that need to be banned are the ROUS'.......but still keep most of the rest in the rooms. The odd small teddybear or moose is ok (of course I'd say that!).

:moose: :bearface:

As long as the teddybear or moose in question isn't 6 feet tall and going on about how it only looks like a human on the outside...

MLynn
12th March 2010, 11:58 AM

I have t-shirts, a nice tote bag, and a sharpie.

And, I really like my laser pointer...

Mattfn
13th March 2010, 07:17 PM
As long as the teddybear or moose in question isn't 6 feet tall and going on about how it only looks like a human on the outside...

Well, the teddybear in question is just about 6', but he doesn't go on and on about that.

Other, geekier, just as hard to fathom topics, however..........!

Davidlpf
13th March 2010, 09:13 PM
How about a chocolate moose.

mumchup
14th March 2010, 08:55 AM
You may be required to bring chocolate moose. I think it says so on the registration.

Horatius
14th March 2010, 09:20 AM
This could be the highlight of the poker tournament.

I'd suggest another bet, but considering your history, I'd need to bring a second men to fit that little bitty head of yours.....:)

Wowbagger
21st March 2010, 07:45 PM
I almost forgot! I promised someone I would post this suggestion, from a party on Saturday:

A Pants-Off Dance-Off competition.

:nope:

Tressa
22nd March 2010, 06:20 PM
Seriously. Some of you people are inconveniently tiny.
So Randi is going to be banned from TAM8?

SkepticScott
23rd March 2010, 01:18 PM
So Randi is going to be banned from TAM8?No. With his beard he's above the lower limit. :)

Simon39759
23rd March 2010, 02:02 PM
Wrong organization though. Around here we call that the 'SCA', specifically 'armoured combat'

A

You a member too? I was at Gulf wars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKArCIjdlQ) last week. It was fun.

(And I love this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DVSLgD5k1Q))

MattusMaximus
28th March 2010, 01:35 PM
Heh heh heh. I was rehearsing smashing a cinder block with a sledgehammer on MattusMaximus' chest. That was fun.

Did someone say sledgehammer? :)

<---------

Especially if she brings the bunny ears. Take that furry-haters!

We must have the bunny ears! Please, paperskater? Pretty please?!

Wowbagger
17th June 2010, 09:45 PM
Klan rally

Anything else?

Normal Dude
17th June 2010, 10:39 PM
An auction of a replica of Randi's beard, made from his real hair trimmings.

Miss_Kitt
17th June 2010, 10:53 PM
Okay, just booked my Triangle Tour.....It's only a buck! 2 hits for 3 bucks!

This is the awesomest fundraiser yet suggested, for JREF or anything else. Count me in!

Also, I would like to use this post to thank all the folks who took pity on me and/or kicked in with funds, advice, offers of room-share and to buy my drinks such that I am able to ATTEND after all!!

And I WILL hit Horatius in the head with a stick!

Happy, happy! MK

paperskater
17th June 2010, 11:18 PM
We must have the bunny ears! Please, paperskater? Pretty please?!

I am pleased to officially announce that the bunny ears shall be returning for TAM8.

arthwollipot
18th June 2010, 06:58 AM
I am pleased to officially announce that the bunny ears shall be returning for TAM8.Now I really wish I were going.

Wowbagger
18th June 2010, 07:44 AM
I am pleased to officially announce that the bunny ears shall be returning for TAM8.As much as we appreciate the announcement, this thread is supposed to be about things that should NOT be part of TAM; not things that should most-definately be part of TAM.

For example: Someone killing REAL bunnies, just to get their ears - that does NOT belong in TAM.

Horatius
18th June 2010, 08:06 AM
This is the awesomest fundraiser yet suggested, for JREF or anything else. Count me in!

Also, I would like to use this post to thank all the folks who took pity on me and/or kicked in with funds, advice, offers of room-share and to buy my drinks such that I am able to ATTEND after all!!

And I WILL hit Horatius in the head with a stick!

Happy, happy! MK

Well, okay then! I'll pack the kendo gear....