PDA

View Full Version : Did Blaine spend 44 days in a box without food?

Undesired Walrus
24th April 2010, 12:17 PM
The other thread on Blaine got me thinking: Did Blaine actually spend 44 days in the box in London without food, just water? I went to see him towards the end, and there is no doubt that he looked dreadful, and clearly incredibly thin. With that said, my observation isn't enough, and it seems most skeptics here seem to think he faked it.

I only doubt that he faked it due to the time he spend in hospital after. Presumably, in order to keep this conspiracy alive, the doctors would all have to be in on it, and I would have thought something would have leaked by now.

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 12:30 PM
I don't honestly care if Blaine did it or not, but it appears possible (http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-can-you-live-without-food/) (but not without medical complications obviously) (and I obviously can't verify the following beyond the googled link provided):

Medical Doctors Commonly cite 4 to 6 weeks without food
10 Political Prisoners in Ireland Lived 46 to 73 days before succumbing to lack of food
12 individual starvation protestors Two lost tongues, 1 lost feet, 7 on kidney dialysis
Many war prisoners Lived 28 to 40 days with no food
World War II concentration camps With only 300 to 600 calories per day, many thousands did not have enough food to survive more than a few months at best.
Terminally Ill patients Live 10-days to 3-weeks without food depending upon initial heath
Obese Can live from 3-weeks up to 25-weeks and more without food depending upon initial health and amount of fat
Mahatma Gandhi
Survived a 3-week fast while in his 70's

25 weeks of living on fat supply!

Marduk
24th April 2010, 12:57 PM
44 days is nothing

Elaine Esposito went without food for 37 years 111 days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Esposito

pretty obvious how Blaine cheated isnt it ?
His box had what his promoters call "a water supply"

Elaine Esposito also survived on liquids, though her promoters weren't claiming it was water
;)

Undesired Walrus
24th April 2010, 01:02 PM

But did he reveal this to his doctors at the hospital? Where they in on it?

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 01:22 PM
44 days is nothing

Elaine Esposito went without food for 37 years 111 days
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaine_Esposito

Elaine Esposito also survived on liquids, though her promoters weren't claiming it was water
;) She was under medical care with a PEG or NG tube I presume? That's not quite the same as going without nutrition completely.

And just for "fun" .... I went 9 days with no food or water after only a couple of attempts at preparing for it. I worked in the Texas summer sun, without even a drop of water touching my lips outside of my own sweat (calm down Marduk :) ) .... and suffered essentially no ill effects.

Regardless of whether or not Blaine actually did it or not, I don't see it as being that big of a deal. I think in general he's efficient at misdirection and fooling the public overall with his TV show settups. They're getting kind of old hat though. And resorting to stuff like this isn't that impressive. But I suppose if he still wants to separate himself from the magicians who "pass through the Great Wall of China" and make elephants disappear and all that crap, he's got to think of more sage/mystic type stunts to pull off. Now, if he would have tried to go three months without food or water, now we're talking :)

Marduk
24th April 2010, 01:25 PM
But did he reveal this to his doctors at the hospital? Where they in on it?

Why would he need to tell them he had been utilising a nutrient rich water supply for the last month and a half ?

He could have just told them he hadn't eaten anything and he wouldn't have been lying
:D

Undesired Walrus
24th April 2010, 01:41 PM
They surely would have figured it out.

Gate2501
24th April 2010, 01:58 PM
And just for "fun" .... I went 9 days with no food or water after only a couple of attempts at preparing for it. I worked in the Texas summer sun, without even a drop of water touching my lips outside of my own sweat (calm down Marduk :) ) .... and suffered essentially no ill effects.

Are you being sarcastic somehow or quoting someone else here?

You would die under this scenario.

Professor Yaffle
24th April 2010, 02:05 PM
The doctors would presumably not be able to comment due to medical confidentiality?

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 02:33 PM
Are you being sarcastic somehow or quoting someone else here?

You would die under this scenario. No I really did this. And I'm still alive ... although if I'm not, that would explain a lot :(

Marduk
24th April 2010, 02:40 PM
ok so then its boils down to this

Is David Blaine a :-

1. latter day american shaman with mystical powers
2. A big twat

I know which way I'm voting

Doubt
24th April 2010, 02:44 PM

2. A big twat

Just to be clear, those are not mutually exclusive options. But I am going with #2. Yes, I think of David Blaine when I think of #2.

Gate2501
24th April 2010, 02:45 PM
No I really did this. And I'm still alive ... although if I'm not, that would explain a lot :(

I really can't believe you went 9 days without water in any scenario, yet you claimed to have been working out in the sun as well. Are you not counting stuff which contains water as water? Like: "I didn't drink water for 9 days but I sure did drink a lot of orange juice!"

Not trying to be a ball-buster, I have read repeatedly that the average a human will last(not die) without water is 5 days in ideal conditions.

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 02:45 PM

2. A big twat

:D Come on, you at least have to give the guy some street cred props. Most people who go to a magic show KNOW they are going to see tricks. But he is able to freak people out and have them walking away thinking he's got some real powers. Your nemesis, Van Daniken, can only point to some lines in a desert and ancient molded toy birds. But Blaine walks up to people and makes them piss in their pants .... or at the very least, he's able to stage it all on TV to have certain viewers talking about him on Sunday mornings.

I'd say he's a successful twat :)

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 02:50 PM
I really can't believe you went 9 days without water in any scenario, yet you claimed to have been working out in the sun as well. Are you not counting stuff which contains water as water? Like: "I didn't drink water for 9 days but I sure did drink a lot of orange juice!"

Not trying to be a ball-buster, I have read repeatedly that the average a human will last(not die) without water is 5 days in ideal conditions. No worries dude :)

Not a single drop touched my mouth ... and to make sure, I didn't even brush my teeth (I know, that was ******* gross).

At the end of it, I was CRAVING fruit. Plums, watermelon, and strawberries to be exact. And the moment I started downing some of that fruit, my upper palate was very sensitive and almost painful. My throat hurt a bit as well. And after eating just a few bites of the fruit I was literally craving, I was sickened by it and didn't want to touch anymore. IIRC, I had some milk off and on throughout the rest of the day and by the end of the night I was eating solid stuff again. I can't remember how long the upper palate discomfort and sore throat lasted though .... this was like 12 years ago!

I probably fasted like four or five times before that, but only for a couple of days at a time. Nothing major.

But seriously, you don't have to believe it. No worries :). I could be making it up for all you know, so it's all good ;)

jiggeryqua
24th April 2010, 02:53 PM
Now, if he would have tried to go three months without food or water publicity, now we're talking :)

Now we're talking.

There's a satirical news show on BBC radio 4 which habitually refers to Blaine as "the Git Wizard". Alas, it seems not to have gained wider currency. I suspect 'git' is not easily translated into American.

Sledge
24th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Wasn't this the stunt that united the British public in their disdain for the prat? I seem to recall people hitting golf balls at the box.

barrymore
24th April 2010, 03:08 PM
Why all the hate for David Blaine? Maybe he is an attention whore, but as far as I know he does not do anything unsavory.

Professor Yaffle
24th April 2010, 03:11 PM
Wasn't this the stunt that united the British public in their disdain for the prat? I seem to recall people hitting golf balls at the box.

I remember them throwing burgers at him.

Gate2501
24th April 2010, 03:13 PM
I remember them throwing burgers at him.

lol... I remember this as well. I also recall that people were grilling delicious foods downwind of him in an attempt to make him miserable.

Marduk
24th April 2010, 03:36 PM
Come on, you at least have to give the guy some street cred props. Most people who go to a magic show KNOW they are going to see tricks. But he is able to freak people out and have them walking away thinking he's got some real powers. Your nemesis, Van Daniken, can only point to some lines in a desert and ancient molded toy birds. But Blaine walks up to people and makes them piss in their pants .... or at the very least, he's able to stage it all on TV to have certain viewers talking about him on Sunday mornings.

My Nemesis is not Van Daniken (whoever he is), its the Grand Negus Zechariah Sitchin
:p

jiggeryqua
24th April 2010, 04:01 PM
Why all the hate for David Blaine? Maybe he is an attention whore, but as far as I know he does not do anything unsavory.

For the English, generally speaking, being an attention whore is unsavoury. Certainly, if you're going to occupy a prime spot in the capital to say 'look at me, look at me!' you'd better have something a damn sight better than the Git Wizard's 'look at me! I'm sitting in a box, pretending not to eat, because I'm better than you at being alive. Keep looking at me! I'll be here for days, spinning out the same uninteresting illusion'.

Monketey Ghost
24th April 2010, 04:14 PM
I can't stand the guy for his keep-looking-at-me schtick.

Yes, yes, I get it, you love yourself. :rolleyes:

barrymore
24th April 2010, 04:20 PM
For the English, generally speaking, being an attention whore is unsavoury.

Non-sense. We value attention whores and untalented celebrities to the highest degree in the English-speaking world. See: Paris Hilton for the US, and Katie Price for the UK.

bluesjnr
24th April 2010, 04:24 PM

:bs:

:dl:

Tsukasa Buddha
24th April 2010, 04:26 PM
Come on, you at least have to give the guy some street cred props. Most people who go to a magic show KNOW they are going to see tricks. But he is able to freak people out and have them walking away thinking he's got some real powers. Your nemesis, Van Daniken, can only point to some lines in a desert and ancient molded toy birds. But Blaine walks up to people and makes them piss in their pants .... or at the very least, he's able to stage it all on TV to have certain viewers talking about him on Sunday mornings.

That's not talent, it is being a wanker. He tries to pass off kids magic tricks as beings miracles because he doesn't say they are tricks. The whole "illusion" centers on his dishonesty. Oh, but I'm sure he never stated they weren't magic tricks :rolleyes: .

And his stunts are worse. He gives big wooey speeches and then does something that could involve trickery or could be real, but in the end, he is just an attention whore.

I think it is best stated by his stunts all involving his inactivity :p .

And don't get me started on the camera hackery he employs.

Sledge
24th April 2010, 04:37 PM
Non-sense. We value attention whores and untalented celebrities to the highest degree in the English-speaking world. See: Paris Hilton for the US, and Katie Price for the UK.

I fail to see why paying attention to a woman with massive norks is a bad thing.

Monketey Ghost
24th April 2010, 04:42 PM

:dl:

He may have done it.

But there are a few survival-type shows that'd be interested in talking to him!

jiggeryqua
24th April 2010, 05:10 PM

Ah, so the Git Wizard's problem was that he wasn't enough of an attention whore? Nonsense. Again, generally speaking, the English (I make no mention of the US...and you make no mention of the Australians, or New Zealanders...) are not appreciative of attention whores.

Katie Price hardly receives universal acclaim in the UK - quite the opposite. She is beloved by some tabloids (who require attention whores to pad out the news). She used to have a sizeable fanbase among adolescent males, though I don't believe she's retained it - but when your 'look at me!' is 'look at me, I've got me massive baps out!', that's one sector of the population whose attention you can pretty much guarantee.

She still has some support among misguided/untalented 'feminists', who think she represents what women with little to offer the world but their breasts can achieve, but even that has been slipping away in light of her messy failed relationship with Peter Andre (whose appeal is inexplicable, but never mind) and her shamelessly manipulative relationship with Alex Reid.

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 06:01 PM
My Nemesis is not Van Daniken (whoever he is), its the Grand Negus Zechariah Sitchin
:pvon von von :)
Hmm .... Sitchin. Yes yes of course. And I'd think that Icke is something like a boy scout wannabe :)

For the English, generally speaking, being an attention whore is unsavoury. Certainly, if you're going to occupy a prime spot in the capital to say 'look at me, look at me!' you'd better have something a damn sight better than the Git Wizard's 'look at me! I'm sitting in a box, pretending not to eat, because I'm better than you at being alive. Keep looking at me! I'll be here for days, spinning out the same uninteresting illusion'.
This sounds vaguely familiar ...

:dl: Mock on, you food eating naysayers !!! I also smoked cigarettes as a baby, and quite fondly.

He may have done it.

But there are a few survival-type shows that'd be interested in talking to him! If it's an office job, I'm in.

Monketey Ghost
24th April 2010, 06:16 PM
Dude, you gotta. What you claim is significantly more than what I think the US Marines claim is doable.

chainlink
24th April 2010, 06:19 PM
David Blaine is a fraud and a liar. A magician performing tricks who passes himself off as a record-setting stuntman. (He was recognized by the Guinness World Records as the longest underwater breath-hold - amazingly no one noticed he cheated)

David Blaine's numerous frauds have been exposed. I don't know if I'm allowed to reveal his [alleged] trickery methods here, so I'll just say "google it". (I have nothing against 'honest' magicians, but I think that liars like Blaine should be exposed and their deceptions made public)

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 06:32 PM
Dude, you gotta. What you claim is significantly more than what I think the US Marines claim is doable. Only if people will throw hamburgers at me. But no hot dogs. I don't do tubesteak.

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 06:35 PM
David Blaine is a fraud and a liar. A magician performing tricks who passes himself off as a record-setting stuntman. (He was recognized by the Guinness World Records as the longest underwater breath-hold - amazingly no one noticed he cheated)

David Blaine's numerous frauds have been exposed. I don't know if I'm allowed to reveal his [alleged] trickery methods here, so I'll just say "google it". (I have nothing against 'honest' magicians, but I think that liars like Blaine should be exposed and their deceptions made public)
It's actually an interesting concept. You have people who make no claims that they are performing anything other than illusions and tricks and sleight of hand, while someone like Blaine tries to maintain a "just what if he's real?" persona to boost his "mystique."

But is he more dangerous than someone like SB, equally as fraudulent, or less of a threat?

Monketey Ghost
24th April 2010, 06:45 PM
Only if people will throw hamburgers at me. But no hot dogs. I don't do tubesteak.

If we're talking about the picnic/ballpark treat... and not the other kind...

it's all in the mustard. Red Pelican and no alternative.

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 06:56 PM
If we're talking about the picnic/ballpark treat... and not the other kind...

it's all in the mustard. Red Pelican and no alternative.
I'm talking about both kinds.

Chuck Norris doesn't do it ..... I won't dare do it.

Loss Leader
24th April 2010, 07:07 PM

Blaine is a magician. If success is measured in getting people to believe they saw something magical, he's a very good one. If he says he can do something amazing, I think it's fair to believe that it is in some way a trick. It would be up to him to open his methods up to public scrutiny, which he has never done. Like all magicians, he carefully controls what the public sees while giving the impression that they are seeing much more than they are.

The methodologis behind at least two of his big stunts are well known. Being burried alive was turned into a Law & Order plotline, accurately giving away the biggest secret of the trick. That one and being frozen in a block of ice were both covered in Magic's Secrets Finally Revealed.

Needless to say, all illusions, when explained, become nothing more than cheap tricks.

barrymore
24th April 2010, 07:13 PM
I still do not understand the beef with Blaine. Does anybody actually hold him as anything other than a magician and a trickster? I have never once met or heard of someone actually believing he has "special powers". He & Criss Angel are one in the same, and here in the US, they are both regarded as magicians and tricksters. I am not a follower of either, but both apparently are talented entertainers. No more, no less.

Now a card trick is certainly different than surviving in a box for several weeks in terms of audience reaction, but no one takes him seriously enough to think he is superhuman. It's just entertainment--I do not think people really care whether it is "real" or not.

chainlink
24th April 2010, 07:35 PM
It's actually an interesting concept. You have people who make no claims that they are performing anything other than illusions and tricks and sleight of hand, while someone like Blaine tries to maintain a "just what if he's real?" persona to boost his "mystique."

But is he more dangerous than someone like SB, equally as fraudulent, or less of a threat?

Personally, I think Blaine is much worse. He claims to be setting world records performing death-defying (rigged) stunts, which honest competitors may very well kill themselves trying to duplicate. At least most intelligent people will brush off psychics as a joke, but when someone claims to be performing a plausible feat of physical endurance, it's a lot easier to believe him and fall for his lies.

The fact that someone has a background in illusion arts should not automatically excuse him from making fraudulent claims on endurance feats he insists are real but are not. Just like Uri Geller, David Blaine denied using trickery, and I don't think they should be treated any differently.

but no one takes him seriously enough to think he is superhuman.
He never did anything that could be regarded as "superhuman" - he actually closely matched existing records to make it seem realistic - in fact his underwater breathholding "record" was beaten (legitimately) about a year later.

It's just entertainment--I do not think people really care whether it is "real" or not.
A lot of people say that about Sylvia Browne, etc..

chainlink
24th April 2010, 07:42 PM
-deleted-

Trent Wray
24th April 2010, 07:53 PM
I still do not understand the beef with Blaine. Does anybody actually hold him as anything other than a magician and a trickster? I have never once met or heard of someone actually believing he has "special powers". He & Criss Angel are one in the same, and here in the US, they are both regarded as magicians and tricksters. I am not a follower of either, but both apparently are talented entertainers. No more, no less. My ex wife said he was demonic. No kidding. She didn't even want to watch him on TV, and would leave the room if I continued watching. And I knew several Xtians who felt the same way (oddly enough, these Xtians loved Harry Potter, etc).

barrymore
24th April 2010, 09:09 PM
The fact that someone has a background in illusion arts should not automatically excuse him from making fraudulent claims on endurance feats he insists are real but are not. Just like Uri Geller, David Blaine denied using trickery, and I don't think they should be treated any differently.

To me, Uri Geller with his spoons and envelopes is harmless. Any human with a fully functioning brain does not take it seriously and (possibly) enjoys it for what it is: entertainment.

Where Uri Geller becomes dangerous is with his "psychic" powers. That is when people get taken advantage of emotionally and financially.

A lot of people say that about Sylvia Browne, etc..

The difference between David Blaine + 50% of Uri Geller and Sylvia Browne is the former provide harmless entertainment value, while any entertainment value you get out of Sylvia Browne is purely incidental (perhaps by watching Montel) to her primary goal of defrauding participants by "resolving" deep questions using her "psychic" powers. That is why she is a fraud and scum of the earth.

Kuko 4000
25th April 2010, 12:17 AM
To me, Uri Geller with his spoons and envelopes is harmless. Any human with a fully functioning brain does not take it seriously and (possibly) enjoys it for what it is: entertainment.

Even on this forum is a gentleman, in his late 60's who writes by the name Lusikka (spoon in Finnish), I happen to know that he has spent most of his life researching and trying to find even the smallest piece of evidence that this would be true. It all started many many years ago when two kids (and I mean kids, IIRC they were around 10 years old) fooled (my guess) him and a couple of other engineers in a "controlled" experiment. Since then, he has been convinced that these kids (and many others around the world) had paranormal abilities...

Many people take Uri Geller's paranormal abilities for real, even if it's a seemingly harmless claim, like bending spoons, it gives people the wrong idea about how this universe works. It's not a long way from that mind set to stuff like homeopathy, miracle healers, psychics or even to whole governments spending hundreds of millions on dowsing rods to screen bombs at their borders...

Kuko 4000
25th April 2010, 12:28 AM
I still do not understand the beef with Blaine. Does anybody actually hold him as anything other than a magician and a trickster?

See David Blaine's TED video from the other thread.

AaronAlexander
25th April 2010, 01:39 AM
She was under medical care with a PEG or NG tube I presume? That's not quite the same as going without nutrition completely.

I am extremely curious as to how you prepared for this. I assume that you mean to say you consumed no water at all, not just that it didn't touch your lips. What did it take to prepare? Where did you learn how? I hope you expected a few questions, this being a skeptic's forum and all.

As for Blaine, after reading his book I thought he came across as a simple person, sort of a try-hard, not especially bright but extremely hard-headed. Not nearly the creepy magician that most people making him out to be. This is according to himself, of course.

Skwinty
25th April 2010, 01:58 AM
I am extremely curious as to how you prepared for this. I assume that you mean to say you consumed no water at all, not just that it didn't touch your lips. What did it take to prepare?

Watch Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival. When he needs to rehydrate and there is only foul water, he gives himself an enema with the foul water.

That qualifies as "not a drop passed my lips":p

jakesteele
25th April 2010, 01:58 AM
http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/4-5-18/21492.html

I have a friend who is a raw foodatarian and he fasts at least once a year in the 30 to 45 day range on water only and under medical supervision.

Kuko 4000
25th April 2010, 02:10 AM
As for Blaine, after reading his book I thought he came across as a simple person, sort of a try-hard, not especially bright but extremely hard-headed. Not nearly the creepy magician that most people making him out to be. This is according to himself, of course.

This is the picture that his performances try to convey as well, I'm just skeptical of the hard-headed part. I've always took his stunts as entertaining magic tricks, things changed a bit with that TED talk video..

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 02:26 AM
I am extremely curious as to how you prepared for this. I assume that you mean to say you consumed no water at all, not just that it didn't touch your lips. What did it take to prepare? Where did you learn how? I hope you expected a few questions, this being a skeptic's forum and all.

As for Blaine, after reading his book I thought he came across as a simple person, sort of a try-hard, not especially bright but extremely hard-headed. Not nearly the creepy magician that most people making him out to be. This is according to himself, of course. I've personally gone back and forth on Blaine. I don't know if he's excellent at what he does, or not. But if people I know will get up and leave the room when he comes on because they are afraid of his "evil", then there are some kudos from me going in his direction if he can get this reaction from doing some street tricks.

As far as me fasting .... man I shouldn't have even opened my mouth :) I honestly didn't realize anyone would think twice about it. Would it be easier for me to say I was kidding and never did it? LOL :)

Honestly though ... when I say I "prepared" I only meant that I fasted a few times before hand. I wasn't doing it to prove anything to anyone or anything like that whatsoever. And the previous fasting I had done wasn't with the goal of "building up tolerance". I just decided to do the nine days, to the MINUTE LOL, because I was, of course, hungry and thirsty :)

And there was no one that taught me how, per se. I just tried to pay attention to my body. The first couple of days there were headaches and the hunger and thirst, etc and so forth. I had some sweats and occasional lightheadedness, and a bit of that sugar-crash-up/down thing going on. But after a couple of days, I pretty much mellowed out and just kind of turned into a slightly slower moving, chilled out guy. As the ninth day approached, I became hungry and thirsty again. Maybe mentally I knew it was upon me and so became more anxious. And I began to crave those fruits I mentioned.

At the time, I was pretty hard core into some "Xtian fundie" views :) and fasting was something I was into for a brief time. But seriously, I'd almost prefer no one believe me now! I don't mind the spotlight on me, but I never intended that post to draw it in my direction either. I thought it was a rather harmless post, not one I intended on defending. I can't even prove that I did it. So lets' just assume I was deluded, in reality only fasted for only 24 hours, had frontal lobe epilepsy which made me think it lasted longer, false memory recall, saw the planet Venus, I'm lying for attention, etc .... all the standard "it didn't happen" labels that get tossed onto anything out of the norm around here so the status quo can be maintained and lets move on :)

Kuko 4000
25th April 2010, 02:34 AM
I thought it was a rather harmless post, not one I intended on defending. I can't even prove that I did it. So lets' just assume I was deluded, in reality only fasted for only 24 hours, had frontal lobe epilepsy which made me think it lasted longer, false memory recall, saw the planet Venus, I'm lying for attention, etc .... all the standard "it didn't happen" labels that get tossed onto anything out of the norm around here so the status quo can be maintained and lets move on :)

It reads to me that Aaron was just being curious...same here btw.

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 02:57 AM
It reads to me that Aaron was just being curious...same here btw. That's cool, no worries. It's just a few posts back it was fun to call it b.s. and I was beginning to feel as though I'd inadvertently made a paranormal claim or something that was "impossible to believe". It was only due to a couple of the responses I was trying not to take personally.

I usually am aware when I'm getting ready to post something that someone might say, "that's b.s. on" .. so posting my quick anecdote that prompted any probing at all caught me off guard, that's all. But I tried to blow off the "that's b.s." type reaction I started to sense and "be a big boy" about it.

No offense to you or AaronA, if you thought I was being too snarky. :(

Liszt
25th April 2010, 04:17 AM
Blaine is a magician, not a "shaman".

Every night, a couple of crew members would go up there and clean all the eggs etc. from the glass box (I threw a few actually). While up there, they'd put a blanket around the whole thing. You couldn't see what was happening. Then the two guys would come down again, and you'd see Blaine in nice clean box.

He swapped places with one of the cleaners for the night session - a lookalike would sit up there in his place. It was too dark to see his face clearly. The next day, another clean would be needed, so he swapped back. I think I even saw his crew members pelting the glass box, but that was perhaps because he is a complete knobend.

I don't know if this really is what happened, but I was told this by a professional magician. I went to have a look for myself, and it looked like the most accurate explaination. I mean - why surround the box with a blanket?

Monketey Ghost
25th April 2010, 04:38 AM
*snip*

I usually am aware when I'm getting ready to post something that someone might say, "that's b.s. on" .. so posting my quick anecdote that prompted any probing at all caught me off guard, that's all. But I tried to blow off the "that's b.s." type reaction I started to sense and "be a big boy" about it.

*snipperoo*

We all have something to say that others will point to and call "shenanigans!"

It's part of the fun, the garlic if you will, of being a member of a skeptic's forum.

As to your feat, it sounds to be one. I'm no expert (the Monkey Ghost Story) but it sounds well outside of any limit I've ever heard proposed by several days, with the lack of water anyways. Instead of being a jackass, I will instead say "Kudos to you!" ... you must be pretty hardcore, and I can respect that. :)

commandlinegamer
25th April 2010, 04:53 AM
I mean - why surround the box with a blanket?

It's an illusionist's staple; hide the box behind the curtain, blanket, fog, etc, whilst some legerdemain is performed.

Liszt
25th April 2010, 05:01 AM
It's an illusionist's staple; hide the box behind the curtain, blanket, fog, etc, whilst some legerdemain is performed.

Indeed - it was a rhetorical question.

btw, I had to look up the word "legerdemain" - nice one - new word for me!

Kuko 4000
25th April 2010, 05:06 AM
Regarding Trent's "claim" (sorry Trent :p), it would be good if someone would dug up the current medical consencus on that. If the concensus disagrees with Trent's story, I would, in Trent's shoes, try to contact the medical community and update their collective knowledge.

Marduk
25th April 2010, 05:32 AM
I still do not understand the beef with Blaine.

Its because hes such an insufferable pratt
;)

John Jones
25th April 2010, 05:40 AM
Indeed - it was a rhetorical question.

btw, I had to look up the word "legerdemain" - nice one - new word for me!

Then you should also enjoy prestidigitation.

AaronAlexander
25th April 2010, 11:20 AM
That's cool, no worries. It's just a few posts back it was fun to call it b.s. and I was beginning to feel as though I'd inadvertently made a paranormal claim or something that was "impossible to believe". It was only due to a couple of the responses I was trying not to take personally.

No offense to you or AaronA, if you thought I was being too snarky. :(

Nope. I was just curious.

Gate2501
25th April 2010, 01:14 PM
Regarding Trent's "claim" (sorry Trent :p), it would be good if someone would dug up the current medical consencus on that. If the concensus disagrees with Trent's story, I would, in Trent's shoes, try to contact the medical community and update their collective knowledge.

The general medical consensus would be that after 9 days with no water, even in ideal conditions, a human would be dead or suffering massive organ failure and probably require weeks/months of hospitalization.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-can-you-survive-without-water/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_skills#Water

What he is claiming is not really possible.

Sorry. :boxedin:

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 01:18 PM
We all have something to say that others will point to and call "shenanigans!"

It's part of the fun, the garlic if you will, of being a member of a skeptic's forum.

As to your feat, it sounds to be one. I'm no expert (the Monkey Ghost Story) but it sounds well outside of any limit I've ever heard proposed by several days, with the lack of water anyways. Instead of being a jackass, I will instead say "Kudos to you!" ... you must be pretty hardcore, and I can respect that. :) Dude be a jackass. It's no fun if we can't be jackasses. Or even jane-asses (whatever blows your skirt up) ;)

Pupr is as pupr does ... ;)

Regarding Trent's "claim" (sorry Trent :p), it would be good if someone would dug up the current medical consencus on that. If the concensus disagrees with Trent's story, I would, in Trent's shoes, try to contact the medical community and update their collective knowledge. Sweet Jeebus on a Marmite lid :)

It was only a delusion brought on by false memory recall due to frontal lobe seizures while staring at the planet Venus for Thor's sakes. :D It's the same reason I KNOW that I went to my high school prom with Indira Varma ...

Liszt
25th April 2010, 01:21 PM
Then you should also enjoy prestidigitation.

Thanks JJ. Delving into magic is like discovering a whole new linguistic world.

The last word I had to look up before now was "numinous" - as used by floppy haired fop Russel Brand.

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 01:21 PM
Nope. I was just curious. No worries :)

The general medical consensus would be that after 9 days with no water, even in ideal conditions, a human would be dead or suffering massive organ failure and probably require weeks/months of hospitalization.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how-long-can-you-survive-without-water/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/live-without-food-and-water2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_skills#Water

What he is claiming is not really possible.

Sorry. :boxedin: Yes, thank you. It's not possible :) A sensible response :)

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
25th April 2010, 02:45 PM
Why does David Blaine think anyone cares?

~~ Paul

Monketey Ghost
25th April 2010, 02:53 PM
I get the feeling people look on curiously at first...

"Okay... waiting... what's the trick? When does something happen?"

then

"Yeahhhh... so he just wants us to look at him for a long time, right? Who has time for this? I'm outta here."

bluesjnr
25th April 2010, 03:47 PM
A sensible response :)

Nice one Trent! You got out of that very well. You could have went all "Anita" on us but instead fessed up. I'm glad 'cos I couldn't be bothered starting a stoptrent site!

;) :D

Marduk
25th April 2010, 04:42 PM
I'm glad 'cos I couldn't be bothered starting a stoptrent site!

we already have that covered
Stop Trent
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/mar/12/howtostoptrident
Rethink Trent
http://action.compassonline.org.uk/page/s/stoptrident
Ban Trent
http://www.nukewatch.org.uk/newsitem.php?n=112
Replace Trent
http://debatewise.org/debates/1162-the-uk-should-replace-trident
Kill off Trent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-1267926/Kill-Trident-rate-nation-defend-itself.html
Lose Trent
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6597686.ece

The list is pretty endless.
I know something you all don't obviously :p

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 05:07 PM
Nice one Trent! You got out of that very well. You could have went all "Anita" on us but instead fessed up. I'm glad 'cos I couldn't be bothered starting a stoptrent site!

;) :D Damn, all this positive will towards me today! "Nice one Trent," and "I'm sorry Trent," or, "you're a ******* genius Trent" (okay that last one might not have happened)

I should have frontal lobe epileptic induced hallucinations more often!

On second thought .... go ahead and reserve / buy a domain name just in case .... ;)

we already have that covered
Stop Trent
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/mar/12/howtostoptrident
Rethink Trent
http://action.compassonline.org.uk/page/s/stoptrident
Ban Trent
http://www.nukewatch.org.uk/newsitem.php?n=112
Replace Trent
http://debatewise.org/debates/1162-the-uk-should-replace-trident
Kill off Trent
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/article-1267926/Kill-Trident-rate-nation-defend-itself.html
Lose Trent
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6597686.ece

The list is pretty endless.
I know something you all don't obviously :p Marduk, you had me at three-pronged spear ... ;)

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Why does David Blaine think anyone cares?

~~ Paul I think the only people who will actually care are the ones who really think he is a "mystic" or shaman or something along those lines. For those who valued him merely for his magic and misdirection abilities, I think he's doing himself a disservice. It's more as though he's "picking a side" with those types of stunts. He's no longer toeing the line between the mystic / illusionist persona. He's deciding more on the mystic persona and thus will lose a part of whatever audience he had there.

So he's either more interested in pursuing the mystic side for some tactical reason .... or he's run out of tricks and is now resorting to merely getting noticed by resorting to boring stunts because that's all he has left. Or maybe a combo of both ...

Vic Vega
25th April 2010, 05:29 PM

What a load of utter B.S.

Marduk
25th April 2010, 05:33 PM
What a load of utter B.S.

Yeah thats been done, thanks for playing

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 05:37 PM
What a load of utter B.S. Yes, it's impossible. I only did it for four days if that's easier to consider :)

CompusMentus
25th April 2010, 05:52 PM
I suspect 'git' is not easily translated into American.

I think Marduk's 'big twat' translates quite well.

Compus

Marduk
25th April 2010, 06:25 PM
I think Marduk's 'big twat' translates quite well.

Compus

Personally the phrase "Marduks big twat" isn't setting my ears alight
:eek:

Trent Wray
25th April 2010, 07:16 PM
Personally the phrase "Marduks big twat" isn't setting my ears alight
:eek: Hmmm ...... :D

barrymore
25th April 2010, 09:41 PM
hi guys im conducting an experiment tosea how long i can go withut water. im on day

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

dafydd
26th April 2010, 12:22 AM
Now we're talking.

There's a satirical news show on BBC radio 4 which habitually refers to Blaine as "the Git Wizard". Alas, it seems not to have gained wider currency. I suspect 'git' is not easily translated into American.

git *
(mildly derogatory) scumbag, idiot, annoying person (originally meaning illegitimate; from archaic form "get", bastard, which is still used to mean "git" in Northern dialects)

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

uk_dave
26th April 2010, 12:32 AM
Dude, you gotta. What you claim is significantly more than what I think the US Marines claim is doable.

Yeah well, they're pussies.

Monketey Ghost
26th April 2010, 12:44 AM
The few, the proud, the soldiers who don't wanna fight 'cause they might get hurt, and it's so nice out who wants to be all sweaty anyways.

Trent Wray
26th April 2010, 12:46 AM
So do we need to start a thread on "Marduk's big twat" or not?

Wildy
26th April 2010, 01:51 AM

2. A big twat

I'm going with:

3. Git Wizard

Kuko 4000
26th April 2010, 02:35 AM
Thanks Gate!

Trent is dead. Time to clean hands and move on, next!

Trent Wray
26th April 2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks Gate!

Trent is dead. Time to clean hands and move on, next! I knew I was dead all this time :(

I should have listened to the voices :(

And so does this little experiment answer the question of the OP? :)

tsig
26th April 2010, 11:16 PM
No worries :)

Yes, thank you. It's not possible :) A sensible response :)

You need to replicate it and you'll get your name in the record books.

Trent Wray
26th April 2010, 11:37 PM
You need to replicate it and you'll get your name in the record books.I would if I didn't currently look like this (http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/medicine/casualty-on-ground-with-ventilator-AJHD.jpg).

Monketey Ghost
27th April 2010, 01:45 AM
Huh? You're small, man. And oddly shaped.

learner
27th April 2010, 02:57 AM
I would if I didn't currently look like this (http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/medicine/casualty-on-ground-with-ventilator-AJHD.jpg).

As i have always said, there is nothing wrong with people that resemble pink rectangles. It's just a variation.

Marduk
27th April 2010, 05:19 AM
So do we need to start a thread on "Marduk's big twat" or not?

shes gonna be so mad

Trent Wray
27th April 2010, 05:23 AM
Huh? You're small, man. And oddly shaped.
I know what you're really saying (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3559/3286741554_eb7525d9b2.jpg) ;)

Trent Wray
27th April 2010, 05:24 AM
shes gonna be so mad
:DWell, then she's a ***** :D:D:D

patchbunny
27th April 2010, 08:28 AM
Sticking my muzzle into this mess, do we have any British participants in this thread who know how long Chris Ryan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Ryan) spent without food or water in his escape to Syira?