PDA

View Full Version : Numerology in a nutshell.

DarkMagician
9th February 2004, 09:45 PM
With Itchy's constant references to numbers, I thought a primer in numerology was in order.

1. Find two numbers relating to events.
2a. If the two numbers match, you have a success.
2b. If not, pick and choose menial numbers from the list to add to either number.

add 1 for one word
add the number of syllables
add digits together
pull another number from a related event and add it in.
If it sort of sounds like a number word, add that number.
If sex was involved, add 2
If really good sex was involved, add 3.
Count the number of letters in some researchers name, ignore those that don't help you.
Go to bathroom, add number that your feces looks like
etc.

3. Go back to two until you succeed.

And there you have it, numerology! Only effective in some stories like "MacBeth", and to detect some scary similarities. Almost utterly useless in real life.

Iacchus
9th February 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DarkMagician

With Itchy's constant references to numbers, I thought a primer in numerology was in order.

1. Find two numbers relating to events.
2a. If the two numbers match, you have a success.
2b. If not, pick and choose menial numbers from the list to add to either number.

add 1 for one word
add the number of syllables
add digits together
pull another number from a related event and add it in.
If it sort of sounds like a number word, add that number.
If sex was involved, add 2
If really good sex was involved, add 3.
Count the number of letters in some researchers name, ignore those that don't help you.
Go to bathroom, add number that your feces looks like
etc.

3. Go back to two until you succeed.

And there you have it, numerology! Only effective in some stories like "MacBeth", and to detect some scary similarities. Almost utterly useless in real life. What better way to acknowledge that something doesn't exist except through numbers? ;)

I mean if it's there, then there must be some sort of recognizable pattern then right?

neutrino_cannon
9th February 2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Iacchus
What better way to acknowledge that something doesn't exist except through numbers? ;)

I mean if it's there, then there must be some sort of recognizable pattern then right?

Especially when the revelatory pattern is custom manufactured to amaze.

Iacchus
9th February 2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by neutrino_cannon

Especially when the revelatory pattern is custom manufactured to amaze. Indeed, custom jobs are usually quite more impressive!

evildave
9th February 2004, 10:44 PM
Don't forget: MAKE the numbers match a past event that occurred AFTER the book was published. It's especially "miraculous" that way.

I have yet to see an incident where these so-called "predictions" were descovered before a real-world event, and were used in any way to publicize the possibility, or be used to prevent the event in question.

DarkMagician
10th February 2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by evildave
Don't forget: MAKE the numbers match a past event that occurred AFTER the book was published. It's especially "miraculous" that way.

I have yet to see an incident where these so-called "predictions" were descovered before a real-world event, and were used in any way to publicize the possibility, or be used to prevent the event in question. Yeah, I knew I forgot something.

xouper
10th February 2004, 06:49 AM
evildave: I have yet to see an incident where these so-called "predictions" were descovered before a real-world event, and were used in any way to publicize the possibility, or be used to prevent the event in question.Counter-example — Michael Drosnin's "bible code" technique "predicted" the assasination of Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, before it happened. Also, Drosnin apparently tried to warn Rabin of this prediction.

Of course, mathematicians know that even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then, and that Drosnin's before-the-fact prediction is not really so remarkable. But it is an example of a "prediction" made before the event.

But getting back to your other point, this example does not legitimize any of the post hoc "predictions" made by the numerologists. I only mention it so you can revise your comment, "I have yet to see more than one incident where these so-called "predictions" were descovered before a real-world event, ..." :)

Iacchus
10th February 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by xouper
Counter-example — Michael Drosnin's "bible code" technique "predicted" the assasination of Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, before it happened. Also, Drosnin apparently tried to warn Rabin of this prediction.

Of course, mathematicians know that even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then, and that Drosnin's before-the-fact prediction is not really so remarkable. But it is an example of a "prediction" made before the event.

But getting back to your other point, this example does not legitimize any of the post hoc "predictions" made by the numerologists. I only mention it so you can revise your comment, "I have yet to see more than one incident where these so-called "predictions" were descovered before a real-world event, ..." :) Speaking of numerology, check out this thread, Synchronicity / James Randi? (http://www.randi.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35113)

tamiO
10th February 2004, 07:22 AM

Of course, mathematicians know that even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and then, and that Drosnin's before-the-fact prediction is not really so remarkable.

Among my favorite numerology stories are the ones surrounding the events on September 11th, 2001. Even the lottery played along in the coincidence game.

One of the things that led me astray from reality was my own personal notation of 11's.

xouper
10th February 2004, 07:31 AM
tamiO: Among my favorite numerology stories are the ones surrounding the events on September 11th, 2001. Even the lottery played along in the coincidence game.I guess I should update my article to include the NY lottery drawing on Sep 11, 2002 and 2003.

http://www.xoup.net/peeves/wtceleven.php

tamiO
10th February 2004, 07:53 AM
I guess I should update my article to include the NY lottery drawing on Sep 11, 2002 and 2003.

http://www.xoup.net/peeves/wtceleven.php

Very nice. :) I am jealous of your skills, you know.

I recall just one 911 coincidence with the lottery, but I don't recall which year it was. Did it happen twice?

edited to add: Will this never end? I'm going insane! "GOING INSANE???" Eleven letters!! :D:D:D