PDA

View Full Version : Gestation interruption

LuxFerum
11th February 2004, 03:10 AM
I think that the central point of the discussion of abort is the question:
"At what point the fetus should be regarded as a human being?"

Some would say that is when it developt a nervous system.
I disagree, the presence of a nervous system don't chage anything in the fetus. It is there not to do anything else but to develop itself in to a mature nervous system. If we have the right to kill someone because of his lack of a nervous system, we should be allowed to kill someone that has only enough neural cells to keep itself alive.

Another thing, if you think that there is a point where the fetus "magically" turns in to a human, what do you think of someone that will induce abortion in a woman that dont want it, and before that point?
It should not be a grave crime, since it is just a bunch of cells.
Same thing as a small cut, or a whiskey shot?

El Greco
11th February 2004, 03:36 AM
I don't think we can define a point beyond which we have a human. We cannot possibly know the way the foetus experiences an abortion at any stage of pregnancy. This means that we will have to disengage abortion from "what the foetus feels". The only thing we can do is to make sure that once the abortion is decided, we will use what we perceive to be the least painful method of killing the embryo.

LuxFerum
11th February 2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by El Greco
I don't think we can define a point beyond which we have a human.
:confused:
It doesn't need to be a point. I can just be a gray area, and after that is human, before not, inside the gray area the politics decide.

I think that everybody agrees that after birth the fetus is human with all of his rights.

El Greco
11th February 2004, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by LuxFerum
It doesn't need to be a point. I can just be a gray area, and after that is human, before not, inside the gray area the politics decide.

I don't think that there can be even a gray area. All surgical abortion methods and most of the medical ones (induced by pills or injections) are performed on a foetus with nervous system, heartbeat etc. By any method we use to check for life (brain activity, heartbeat etc), most abortions are killing humans.