PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson and Sister Anne Emmerich

TruthSeeker
26th February 2004, 09:44 PM
Despite the claims that the movie is true to the gospel accounts, it seems that Mel got inspiration from another source. From this article (Sister Anne Emmerich)

Anne Catherine Emmerich was an Augustian nun who lived in Germany from 1774 to 1824. She is remembered for her mystical visions of Jesus' and Mary's lives, recorded in works like "The Dolorous Passion

Emmerich saw visions of the Last Supper and the Agony in the Garden, as well as Jesus' arrest, scourging, and crucifixion. The visions are quite detailed.

Emmerich's visions of Jesus' suffering are very graphic. There is much more gore in her descriptions than in the gospels. In one vision, for example, Jesus "tottered rather than walked, and was almost unrecognisable from the effects of his sufferings during the night; —he was colourless, haggard, his face swollen and even bleeding, and his merciless persecutors continued to torment him each moment more and more."

Yahweh
26th February 2004, 09:50 PM
... would someone mind telling me when Mel Gibson became a reborn fundementalist?

Nice actor, but just gets weirder and stranger with every movie he makes...

TruthSeeker
26th February 2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Yahweh
... would someone mind telling me when Mel Gibson became a reborn fundementalist?

Nice actor, but just gets weirder and stranger with every movie he makes...

I think he told Diane Sawyer it was when he stopped drinking and using drugs. He replaced one addiction with another, it seems.

Yahweh
26th February 2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by TruthSeeker
I think he told Diane Sawyer it was when he stopped drinking and using drugs. He replaced one addiction with another, it seems.
Weighing the pros and cons, I think if I were to pick either, I would choose my personal reality warping and shattering before my eyes (Feeling cynical, Yahweh?) than the one that might wreck my physical well-being.