PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] New Atheists; same as the Fundies?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Tricky
4th February 2011, 02:43 PM
Similar threads merged. Do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

joobz
4th February 2011, 07:26 PM
Religious fundies have no patience for those who disagree and you are no different.
I think you mean to say, "Forum Moderators have no patience for members who break form rules."
It's a subtle difference.

Foster Zygote
4th February 2011, 07:46 PM
...serious discussion over the obvious is pointless.
It would appear so. It is quite obvious, as shown by hard evidence, that the abbreviation "Xtian" is not a recent derogation coined by anti-Christians. Yet you have been completely unwilling to acknowledge that you were mistaken.

Atheists see this dump as theirs so they just assume they're right.
Actually, there are many people on this forum from a variety of religious backgrounds who are well respected, well liked members of this community.

Religious fundies have no patience for those who disagree and you are no different.
You appear to become rather upset when people disagree with you.

Prove me wrong otherwise.
Observed patterns would seem to indicate that you will ignore any proof of your errors.

Dancing David
5th February 2011, 05:27 AM
You may begin.

You may define, I have stated that there are many atheists who are not dogmatic in the statement "There is no god.", many of us say "So far I have not seen evidence that there is a god by that defintion."
So who are these fundy atheists and why can't you talk about it?

Gawdzilla
5th February 2011, 05:40 AM
So who are these fundy atheists and why can't you talk about it?

I was going to say "You can't talk about something that is totally imaginary", but given the forum we're in that's not exactly correct. ;)

Gawdzilla
6th February 2011, 09:22 AM
Ah, that explains this thread! (http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/a-sure-sign-were-winning/) (Link to the evolutionistrue blog.)

The Church must be “explicit about the need to counter attempts to marginalise Christianity and to treat religious faith more generally as a social problem,” it says.

“This is partly about taking on the ‘new atheism’.

sphenisc
7th February 2011, 01:14 AM
Hitler wasn't an atheist. There are countless examples of him calling on God to help in the struggle.

Call me a cynic, but I suspect that taking Hitler's words as a true indication of his real attitude is...somewhat naive. :)

angrysoba
7th February 2011, 01:34 AM
[quoting wikipedia's article on The New Atheism] In his 2008 book I Don't Believe in Atheists (retitled When Atheism Becomes Religion: America's New Fundamentalists for the paperback),[24] journalist and author Chris Hedges argues that there is nothing inherently moral about being either a believer or a nonbeliever. He goes a step further by accusing atheists in general and New Atheists in particular of being as intolerant, chauvinistic, bigoted, anti-intellectual, and self-righteous as their archrivals, religious fundamentalists—in other words, as being secular versions of the religious right

My point is pretty much spelled out in the quote. There is among a good number of the posters here, a seemingly "New Atheist" mindset. The point often missed seemingly is, well quoted. You don't believe, that's your right. But in your dislike of the fundies, be they Christian, Muslim, faith of your choice, and I am not in any way advocating their side, in the quest to rescue the religious from their own pathetic ignorance, many atheists come off sounding oddly familiar. They kinda sound like the very thing they claim to oppose.

In a more moderate, you have a right to be a believer, nonbeliever, or agnostic, bit it's still a personal thing and any group, imposing it's mindset really is any better than any other, overbearing Atheists included right alongside the Falwells, the Robertsons, and the Bin Ladens.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]Just forgive them / turn the other cheek etc...

Gawdzilla
7th February 2011, 04:48 AM
Call me a cynic, but I suspect that taking Hitler's words as a true indication of his real attitude is...somewhat naive. :)

I think he was a total whack job, so the fact that he believed in a god is just part of the package. ;)

epeeist
7th February 2011, 10:42 AM
I think he was a total whack job, so the fact that he believed in a god is just part of the package. ;)

Godwin's law, at this point? :rolleyes: