PDA

View Full Version : Madonna "miracles"

MatildaGage
23rd January 2011, 07:42 AM
A few random stories from a recent trip....for those interested in such matters.:D

Tour in Sicily--saw this (http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/19309/wm/pd2029610.jpg) beach. Story is, this is the madonna's image. It "never goes away, even at high tide". Convenient claim to make when all knew our bus was leaving before we could verify it. :rolleyes:

Looks a lot more like a giant penis than a madonna. *shrug*

@ the hilltop there's lots of vendors selling black madonna statues. I made the colossal mistake of answering questions about what I knew about her origins (or theories thereof). I was told I was going to hell for sure. I pointed out it's ok, she's just from the religion that predated Catholicism, just like the cornuto and mano cornuto my fellow traveler was wearing. @ that point he became extremely angry with me. Oops.:eye-poppi

In a nearby church there's a saint made out of metal--brass or copper maybe. The story goes, one day he turned black suddenly when there was an earthquake, then slowly returned to being shiny, all on his own. Lots of volcanic activity nearby--I assume that was the cause (and people secretly cleaning it afterward).

Nearby museum of old church--there's a giant bowl. Apparently Satan was trapped in there at some point, but a woman let him out. (I suppose the moral of the story is the stupid woman should have stayed barefoot and in the kitchen.)

Blech.

DC
23rd January 2011, 07:54 AM
what the heck, i didn't see a Madonna and i kept trying to see one, now it looks more like Maradona's right half after he scored a goal..... :boggled:

Moon-Spinner
23rd January 2011, 08:43 AM
Sounds like a lot of BS stories created for the tourist trade, but I think we all knew that already ;)

TimCallahan
23rd January 2011, 01:22 PM
This is pattern seeking in extremis. That the Blessed Virgin Mary (or BVM, as a friend of mine, who has a whole collection of Madonnas, calls her) is more often the focus of such pattern seeking, than is Jesus, is striking.

sadhatter
23rd January 2011, 01:29 PM
A few random stories from a recent trip....for those interested in such matters.:D

Tour in Sicily--saw this (http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/19309/wm/pd2029610.jpg) beach. Story is, this is the madonna's image. It "never goes away, even at high tide". Convenient claim to make when all knew our bus was leaving before we could verify it. :rolleyes:

Looks a lot more like a giant penis than a madonna. *shrug*

@ the hilltop there's lots of vendors selling black madonna statues. I made the colossal mistake of answering questions about what I knew about her origins (or theories thereof). I was told I was going to hell for sure. I pointed out it's ok, she's just from the religion that predated Catholicism, just like the cornuto and mano cornuto my fellow traveler was wearing. @ that point he became extremely angry with me. Oops.:eye-poppi

In a nearby church there's a saint made out of metal--brass or copper maybe. The story goes, one day he turned black suddenly when there was an earthquake, then slowly returned to being shiny, all on his own. Lots of volcanic activity nearby--I assume that was the cause (and people secretly cleaning it afterward).

Nearby museum of old church--there's a giant bowl. Apparently Satan was trapped in there at some point, but a woman let him out. (I suppose the moral of the story is the stupid woman should have stayed barefoot and in the kitchen.)

Blech.

Something makes me giggle a bit at the fact that the person's sex was remembered. I picture the person glowering and emphasizing the word " Woman" as he related the story.

You know it seems to me the Catholic church spends half its time condemning women, and the other half telling people not to be gay. Seems kind of at odds with each other if you ask me.

TubbaBlubba
23rd January 2011, 02:21 PM
I thought this was about Madonna covering the ICP "song".

HansMustermann
23rd January 2011, 04:28 PM
This is pattern seeking in extremis. That the Blessed Virgin Mary (or BVM, as a friend of mine, who has a whole collection of Madonnas, calls her) is more often the focus of such pattern seeking, than is Jesus, is striking.

Well, it may also be because it's easier. Not that the bar for Jesus pareidolia is high, but for Mary just about anything the shape of a bowling pin can be taken as the shape of a woman in a hooded robe, which is a rather usual depiction of Mary. If you look hard enough you can see that kind of shape just about everywhere, sandbanks like the OP, veneer patterns, condoms, you name it. You don't even need it to resemble a face or anything. Not that it's hard to see faces, mind you.