PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon bankrolls Swedish stem cell study

Nie Trink Wasser
19th March 2004, 11:56 AM
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?id=2004031913330002763146&dt=20040319133300&w=RTR&coview=
STOCKHOLM, Sweden (Reuters) - The Pentagon has granted $240,000 to a Swedish team for embryonic stem-cell research linked to Parkinson's disease, the researchers said Wednesday.

corplinx
19th March 2004, 12:04 PM
What's the big news?

As far as I can tell, the Bush stem cell decision was mostly a symbolic one. Its an obstacle to getting federal funds for domestic stem cell research and thats about it.

Its the sort of wishy washy non-decision I've come to expect from government.

Nie Trink Wasser
19th March 2004, 12:12 PM
for me this story is important because it shows that the Bush Administration is not fighting stemcell research as many would like to believe.

Bjorn
19th March 2004, 01:06 PM
This is strange.

The government cannot fund 'new' embryo research in the US for moral reasons (BTW a view held by more than the Bush administration) - but it's OK to fund it in Sweden?

Born in Norway, I know for a fact that Swedes are not so smart, but I always thought they were human. :p

Hexxenhammer
19th March 2004, 01:59 PM
Yes, I'm sure Bush personally signed off on this puny quarter mil instead of the Pentagon getting the research done that it wanted however it can since they can't get it here.

What kind of illogical Bush apologetics is this?

corplinx
19th March 2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Hexxenhammer
Yes, I'm sure Bush personally signed off on this puny quarter mil instead of the Pentagon getting the research done that it wanted however it can since they can't get it here.

If anything this shows the true shallowness of the Bush stem cell decision. Remember all those years of republicans complaining about Clinton doing things for style rather than substance?

However, its amusing to see the misinformed meme-eaters on this forum say things like "Bush banned stem cell research" (e.g. Tmy in a recent thread).

Abdul Alhazred
19th March 2004, 02:12 PM
The Pentagon is doing this? What's the national defense impact? Give me a few days and I'll come up with an appropriate woowoo conspiracy theory.

When stem cell research is outlawed, only outlaws will do stem cell research. :p

And the outlaws are the military industrial complex!

More details later, maybe. If I say no more about it you will know they got to me. :D

headscratcher4
19th March 2004, 02:14 PM
More Bush Administration promoting the outsourcing of american jobs....;)

Abdul Alhazred
19th March 2004, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Hexxenhammer

It makes perfect sense. I will explain it to you.

Wait a minute, someone is knocking at my door ...

karl
19th March 2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Bjorn
This is strange.

The government cannot fund 'new' embryo research in the US for moral reasons (BTW a view held by more than the Bush administration) - but it's OK to fund it in Sweden?

Is it any stranger than setting up a prison camp overseas to get around human rights issues?

Bjorn
19th March 2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by karl
Is it any stranger than setting up a prison camp overseas to get around human rights issues? Hehe. :p

However, we have prisoners inside the US that are also not given lawyers, speedy trials and such - but that's off topic in this thread.

aerocontrols
19th March 2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Bjorn
This is strange.

It's not a new line (http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/2004/03/19/stemcell.php) of stem cells.

These researchers are using 2 of the 78 lines of stem cells approved for federal funding, some of which exist in the US, and some of which exist outside the US.

Big non-story.

Trink: Don't get your news from Reuters.