PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Osama bin Laden dead,

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 07:40 PM
...Bin Laden is dead.

James Fox
1st May 2011, 07:49 PM
Looks like Osama is dead. No details on the news yet, or info about who, what or when,

ProBonoShill
1st May 2011, 07:50 PM
Major news sources saying he's dead

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 07:51 PM
Looks that way.

Hercules Rockefeller
1st May 2011, 07:53 PM
Linky, please?

little grey rabbit
1st May 2011, 07:55 PM
I had no idea that the Libyan war was going that badly.

Cl1mh4224rd
1st May 2011, 07:56 PM
Linky, please?

Nothing substantial, but it's on the news channels. President Obama is going to make an announcement soon.

bigred
About freaking time. Too bad this didn't come years ago. My only concern now is possible martyrdom.

Cobalt
Apparently so. Waiting on more detail though.

Frank Newgent
ding dong

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 07:57 PM
Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye!

:Banane35::not_ripe::Banane03::Banane20::clap:

What a beautiful day!

James Fox
1st May 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm watching CNN and MSNBC. Non stop Osama dead news. President Obama will be making a statement soon.

ProBonoShill
Apparently the U.S. Military has his body, at least that's what CNN is saying, but they haven't disclosed how this came about.

dtugg
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world/asia/osama-bin-laden-is-killed.html?_r=1&hp

I hope he had a very slow and painful death.

Vega Nova
1st May 2011, 07:59 PM
whitehouse.gov/live (can't post links. boo. someone do it for me.)

The president is about to make a statement.

Puppycow
President Obama plans to address the nation Sunday night (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-obama-national-address-20110501,0,992339.story)

The announcement was abrupt, coming after the White House had declared a so-called lid, meaning no other news would be coming for the remainder of the day.

A White House official declined to comment further.

Something important must have happened.

Tony
Killed by US forces, reports say his body is in US custody. Pres Obama is about to address the nation.

James Fox
1st May 2011, 08:00 PM
Linky, please?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/osama-bin-laden-killed/story?id=13505703
US forces apparently have the body.

keale
1st May 2011, 08:01 PM
Well well well

WildCat
1st May 2011, 08:02 PM
Obama statement in half an hour apparently.

What wonderful news to wake up from a nap to!

steve s
I just got home and turned on the TV. Woohoo! Too bad they didn't take him alive so he could rot away in solitary confinement. Death is the easy way out.

Steve S

keale
Wonder if this will trigger attacks

Cobalt
1st May 2011, 08:03 PM
UPDATE:

NBC stated it was the US's doing and that we actually have the body in custody. Waiting for more...

Polaris
1st May 2011, 08:04 PM
I'm drinking to this!

Alan
I'm waiting for Obama to talk.

It sounds like this person on CNN is talking about it in terms of what Obama was able to do that Bush wasn't. But I did join in halfway through so it could be out of context.

They're talking about it as being unconfirmed but based on actionable US intelligence and there's talk of drones and strikes. So apparently not 'natural' causes.

Ausmerican
Hate to be cynical but Obama should've kept him in a fridge until closer to election time.

firecoins
Ding dong the bitch is dead.

firecoins
1st May 2011, 08:05 PM
FInally! Now Gerge W will be back in office.

firecoins
1st May 2011, 08:06 PM
I am already celebrating.

Travis
What I'm hearing is that they killed him days ago but wanted to retrieve the body to confirm with DNA.

dtugg
CNN says he was in a mansion in Islamabad. Holy ******

Peephole
1st May 2011, 08:07 PM
Looks like someone is getting re-elected.

steve s
1st May 2011, 08:08 PM
CNN just said he was in a mansion at the time, killed along with some family members. I guess he got tired of caves.

Steve S

ProBonoShill
1st May 2011, 08:08 PM
Apparently the U.S. Military has his body, at least that's what CNN is saying, but they haven't disclosed how this came about.

Killed in a mansion outside of Islamabad, Pakistan along with other family members by American assets according to CNN.

keale
1st May 2011, 08:09 PM
News is saying all US military installations world wide are now on the highest level alert. Likely immanent attacks against US.

MG1962
1st May 2011, 08:09 PM
Shoot out in a mansion in Pakistan - US assets involved

keale
1st May 2011, 08:10 PM
Looks like hes was killed in Pakistan

Lisa Simpson
1st May 2011, 08:11 PM
I won't believe it until I see a long form death certificate.

Toontown
This is going to make a lot of closet bin Laden supporters very sad. But I'm sure they will be putting up a brave front in the days ahead.

Baylor
Looks like someone is getting re-elected.Yeah, that's so important now. :rolleyes:

LTC8K6
1st May 2011, 08:12 PM
Our military killed him. A week ago. Waited for DNA confirmation.

respect
1st May 2011, 08:13 PM
Congrats to everyone involved, the face of terrorism is dead through their hard work.

Ryokan
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/world/asia/osama-bin-laden-is-killed.html?_r=1&hp

I hope he had a very slow and painful death.

Does the thought turn you on?

keale
News is saying killed along with other Bin Laden family members at a mansion outside Islamabad

Puppycow
1st May 2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Sources said bin Laden was killed by a U.S. bomb a week ago. The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his

WildCat
1st May 2011, 08:14 PM
Apparently the US has his body.

Alan
1st May 2011, 08:15 PM
CNN says he was in a mansion in Islamabad. Holy ******
Outside of Islamabad. That could be some distance away.

Skeptic Ginger
My my, BBC News says US has his body.

I'm glad. This is good news. Sorry it won't bring anyone back, but maybe it's a sign Al Qaeda is truly dismantled for all intents and purposes.

Travis
Good to have the body because you know a lot of people are going to say he isn't really dead.

goodm0urning
1st May 2011, 08:16 PM
Obama interrupts Trump's TV show to make the announcement that will ensure reelection. I love it.

Seriously, though, everybody's going to dance around the fire with the Ewoks, then realize tomorrow that even if the Emperor's dead, the Empire is still around.

Pardalis

It does absolutely for me. :)

dtugg

Turn me on? No. It would make the news even better though. I hope US special forces busted in his house, shot him in the stomach and let him bleed out while feeding him pork.

Furcifer
Whoah, Fox news found Geraldo too???

Sword_Of_Truth
Looks like someone is getting re-elected.

I heard that said a lot back in February/March 1991.

Olowkow
whitehouse.gov/live (can't post links. boo. someone do it for me.)

The president is about to make a statement.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/live

It was said earlier that the US has samples of his DNA, and they have custody of the body. The world will want to see his body, according to the NBC anchor.

Ryokan
Good to have the body because you know a lot of people are going to say he isn't really dead.

They'll do that anyway.

Alan
1st May 2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, that's so important now. :rolleyes:
Possible political effects are important considering he was a politically important figure.

Howie Felterbush
1st May 2011, 08:17 PM
I now have the coolest beard in the world.

MG1962
1st May 2011, 08:21 PM
Footage from the crowd outside the White House. Some very proud Americans

James Fox
I'm guessing factions in the Pakistani Intelligence and Military forces had been protecting him for years. I'd guess more mansions than caves for the past ten years.

Travis
People are singing The Star Spangled Banner outside the White House.

Sword_Of_Truth
What a tremendous vindication of President George W. Bush's anti-terror policies.

Kudos to President Obama for having the wisdom to go back on his campaign promises and continue Bush's policies.

Juniversal
1st May 2011, 08:23 PM
This makes me happy. :D

Virus
1st May 2011, 08:23 PM
It's a dreary day in Sydney but this news livens up my day. Please don't let this be a false alarm.

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 08:24 PM

Come on, you know as well as I do a body won't be good enough for conspiracy theorists.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 08:26 PM
What a tremendous vindication of President George W. Bush's anti-terror policies......How quickly you've forgotten Tora Bora. :rolleyes:

Maybe if Bush had not dropped the ball Clinton handed him, 911 could have been prevented.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 08:27 PM
It's a dreary day in Sydney but this news livens up my day. Please don't let this be a false alarm.
Definitely not a false alarm considering the news coverage.

Press conference in 2 minutes..... sometime.

bigred
1st May 2011, 08:27 PM
Hardly surprised how quickly this is digressing into snippy political BS :rolleyes:

If the all the news jabber actually ever says anything, let me know. Just knowing he's dead is plenty for now.

Edit: a few facts trickling in. But died inside a mansion? Unpossible! We all know he abhorred such evil capitalist material things.

keale
1st May 2011, 08:28 PM
Definitely not a false alarm considering the news coverage.

Yep not the thing you want to report and then be wrong.

Travis
1st May 2011, 08:29 PM
Personally I was always hoping we would capture him alive.

Hallo Alfie
1st May 2011, 08:31 PM
About freaking time. Too bad this didn't come years ago. My only concern now is possible martyrdom.

I wonder how many virgins he gets?

Nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, goodbye!

:Banane35::not_ripe::Banane03::Banane20::clap:

What a beautiful day!

I'm with you.

Indeed. But I want to know whether we can show cartoons of Mohommed yet?

Me too! The waterboarder's union would have had a full membership.

JoeyDonuts
Press conference in 2 minutes..... sometime.

I think they're trying to make sure they preempt the west coast airing of The Apprentice.

:D

Nice shooting, fellas. Bury him shallow so something can feed on him. That way he can be of at least some benefit to this planet.

Skeptic Ginger
Personally I was always hoping we would capture him alive.It's a toss up, making him a martyr and getting it over with, or keeping the publicity going throughout a trial and then giving him the death penalty years from now.

Fnord
1st May 2011, 08:32 PM
Osama bin Laden dead?

Let's see Donald Trump take credit for that!

LTC8K6
May have actually been a Pakistani ground op...

WildCat
CNN reporting now that indications are this was not a drone strike, but a special operations action.

MG1962
1st May 2011, 08:33 PM
Lazy hundred the recession ended about 2 hours ago as well

EGarrett
Wow. The world can change in the time it takes to make some tea.

WildCat
I wonder how many virgins he gets?
All that care to screw his rotting corpse. :p

Skeptic Ginger
I think they're trying to make sure they preempt the west coast airing of The Apprentice.

:D

That crap's not on til 9. I doubt Obama gives a rip about fringe candidates.

I just had a thought though. I bet they waited until the royal wedding was over to not have the competition for attention.

James Fox
Reported to have been capped in the head by a CIA or other ground opp. No drone or air strike.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110502/ap_on_re_us/us_bin_laden

Resume
1st May 2011, 08:34 PM
I'm having a Jameson's on the rocks. Cheers, and good riddance jagoff.

Puppycow
1st May 2011, 08:34 PM
Obama statement in half an hour apparently.

Boy, I hope the delay isn't for some stupid "optical" reason like printing up a "Mission Accomplished" banner or flying him over to a military base so that he can make the announcement in front of troops.

They said he was going to address the nation an hour ago.

James Fox
1st May 2011, 08:35 PM
Obama, talking and confirming Osama is dead.

Hallo Alfie
1st May 2011, 08:36 PM
All that care to screw his rotting corpse. :p

Necrobamaphilia? :D

Ausmerican
1st May 2011, 08:36 PM
Boy, I hope the delay isn't for some stupid "optical" reason like printing up a "Mission Accomplished" banner or flying him over to a military base so that he can make the announcement in front of troops.

Him and Michelle were gettin some victory laps in. He has to dress.

WildCat
1st May 2011, 08:37 PM
Obama talking now, confirms OBL is dead. Very dead. Very very very dead.

Redtail
I'm having a Jameson's on the rocks. Cheers, and good riddance jagoff.

Baker's Bourbon here. Cheers!

Ausmerican
Necrobamaphilia? :D

Dont you mean NecroSamaphilia?

Peephole
Yeah, that's so important now. :rolleyes:
Yeah, if you don't want to discuss issues on an issues discussing forum maybe you should just turn off your computer.

WildCat
1st May 2011, 08:38 PM
The Rockettes had to be flown in to do high kicks behind Obama while he talked of OBL's death. ;)

Redtail
1st May 2011, 08:39 PM
Obama talking now, confirms OBL is dead. Very dead. Very very very dead.
Most sincerely dead...

Fnord
1st May 2011, 08:39 PM
Somehow, the victory seems hollow without a trial, but the victory is rendered no less sweet by the justice delivered by the dedicated military forces of the United States of America.

I raise my glass to these fine military men and women, and to those who lead them.

Hooray for OUR side!

geni
1st May 2011, 08:40 PM
He died today.

Hallo Alfie
1st May 2011, 08:41 PM
Dont you mean NecroSamaphilia?

Oops, so I do

necrOSAMAphilia

Darn it! That was a good one too and I messed it up. :mad::o

James Fox
1st May 2011, 08:42 PM
Can I buy that man a cold beer!

Alan
1st May 2011, 08:42 PM
He died today.
Yeah. Obama said he ordered the attack today.

Tricky
1st May 2011, 08:43 PM
I would expect some terrorist attacks (or attempts) in the next few days/weeks, but I'm hoping that the fact that he was taken out while living in comfort at a mansion while his "troops" struggle in the caves of Afghanistan will detract a little from his mystique.

This is, of course, great news, but let us not get all carried away. Finding Saddam didn't end the problems in Iraq.

Alan
1st May 2011, 08:45 PM
He fit in an "indivisible". :)

Peephole
Totally missed opportunity to start playing America, **** Yeah as Obama started walking away from the camera.

sWS-FoXbjVI

Juniversal

They said he was going to address the nation an hour ago.*press conference ends...Obama straps self to bi-plane and plane takes off with mission accomplished banner flowing in the wind*

Puppycow
1st May 2011, 08:46 PM
He died today.

I thought it was a week ago and they just got DNA confirmation today?

Alan
1st May 2011, 08:47 PM
Obama said he ordered the attack today, I thought.

joe911
1st May 2011, 08:48 PM

He couldn't address the nation in his pj's, could he? :p

Redtail
1st May 2011, 08:48 PM
*press conference ends...Obama straps self to bi-plane and plane takes off with mission accomplished banner flowing in the wind*

I was thinking two bald eagles draping him in the American flag, & he dances away from the podium to "America **** Yeah!"

ETA:Totally missed opportunity to start playing America, **** Yeah as Obama started walking away from the camera.

sWS-FoXbjVI

LOL!

Information Analyst
1st May 2011, 08:49 PM
I won't believe it until I see a long form death certificate.

The conspiracies start here....

dtugg
1st May 2011, 08:50 PM

Obama said he was killed today.

Juniversal
1st May 2011, 08:50 PM
Totally missed opportunity to start playing America, **** Yeah as Obama started walking away from the camera.

sWS-FoXbjVI*listens to song* http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/julphotobucket1/salute.gif

Lisa Simpson
1st May 2011, 08:51 PM
The conspiracies start here....

I do hope you understand I was joking.

theprestige
1st May 2011, 08:52 PM

I hadn't given it much thought until you brought it up, but now that I'm thinking about it, I'm glad we didn't. The politico-legal bs ensuing from having him in custody would drag on for years. It would be worse than anything we've seen so far with any of our other WoT detainees. It would far outweigh the benefit for military intelligence from having him alive to interrogate "torture".

I think I threw up in my mouth a little just thinking about it.

No, definitely better to kill him on the battlefield and have done with it. Personally, I'm much more interested in the intel that led up to this point.

Darth Rotor
1st May 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm guessing factions in the Pakistani Intelligence and Military forces had been protecting him for years. I'd guess more mansions than caves for the past ten years.
I tend to agree with that estimate, given the previous president of Pakistan's prohibition of US ops on his turf ... OBTW, Pres/Gen Musharraf, screw you with an auger bit.
May have actually been a Pakistani ground op...
Not according to the President's announcements. They did help, however.

I opened up the bottle of Jeremiah Weed that has been waiting for this announcement, took a nice full shot. Yes, a shot of Weed is what one does now and again when one simply needs a shot.

Osama is dead, good. About damned time. The Pres said they had a tip in August, and it took until the past few days to put together the Op, the intel, the confirmation, and as I understood his words, the coordination with a few folks in Pakistan who wouldn't blow cover, and so nailed his tired ass.

So ...

Now what? :confused:

ElMondoHummus
1st May 2011, 08:53 PM
I can't help but laugh at this:
Bin Laden has been killed in a mansion. Now we need to find out who did it, which room, and what object he was killed with

I'm sorry, but I LOLed when I read that!

Information Analyst
1st May 2011, 08:53 PM

You think that'll stop them?!

Juniversal
1st May 2011, 08:54 PM
I was thinking two bald eagles draping him in the American flag, & he dances away from the podium to "America **** Yeah!"That would be greatness. Patriotism˛. :cool:

The conspiracies start here....No. The conspiracies start here (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7140176&postcount=107). ;)

Fnord
American Baptist minister Robert Wadsworth Lowry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Wadsworth_Lowry) said it best in 1896, I think:

When tyrants tremble in their fear
And hear their death knell ringing,
When friends rejoice both far and near
How can I keep from singing?

Sledge
Osama is dead, good. About damned time.

So ...

Now their shields are down, we send the word to militaries around the world to start taking those sons of bitches down.

:confused:

Wait, sorry. Was thinking of Independence Day.

coalesce
...Bin Laden is dead.

No, he's pining for the fjords.

Michael

I Ratant
1st May 2011, 08:55 PM
Can I buy that man a cold beer!
I was talking to my nephew who's been to the Whogivesa****stan area 3 times, as the Prez talked.
Told him to take the rest of the week off, along with all the other soldiers we've sent to ********land since 9/11.

dtugg
1st May 2011, 08:56 PM
It is almost too bad there is no Hell. The thought of that piece of **** being completely shocked at arriving in Hell instead of being greeted by 72 virgins in paradise is hilarious.

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 08:57 PM
Great job Obama. That's what I call efficiency.

:bigclap

The CIA needed cleaning up, and he did it.

Puppycow
Obama said he was killed today.

Oh, OK. The news article I linked to in post #45 said it was a week ago with a bomb, but apparently that source was wrong.

Here is that article (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/).

I Ratant
I tend to agree with that estimate, given the previous president of Pakistan's prohibition of US ops on his turf ... OBTW, Pres/Gen Musharraf, screw you with an auger bit.

Not according to the President's announcements. They did help, however.

I opened up the bottle of Jeremiah Weed that has been waiting for this announcement, took a nice full shot. Yes, a shot of Weed is what one does now and again when one simply needs a shot.

Osama is dead, good. About damned time. The Pres said they had a tip in August, and it took until the past few days to put together the Op, the intel, the confirmation, and as I understood his words, the coordination with a few folks in Pakistan who wouldn't blow cover, and so nailed his tired ass.

So ...

Now, tomorrow, we get all the talking heads tell us what we really heard from Obie.
The spin on that should be amazing!

Sword_Of_Truth
Somewhere in Pakistan, there's a semi-innocent goat who is now a widow.

Lisa Simpson
1st May 2011, 08:59 PM
I can't help but laugh at this:

Quote:
Bin Laden has been killed in a mansion. Now we need to find out who did it, which room, and what object he was killed with

My FB status was Col. Mustard killed Bin Laden in the library with a candlestick.

I was afraid people wouldn't get it.

dtugg
Oh, OK. The news article I linked to in post #45 said it was a week ago with a bomb, but apparently that source was wrong.

Here is that article (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/).

That's what you get for listening to Fox News. ;)

mrgrouch
My my, BBC News says US has his body.

I'm glad. This is good news. Sorry it won't bring anyone back, but maybe it's a sign Al Qaeda is truly dismantled for all intents and purposes.

actually osama had not been the leader of al qaeda for quite some time, so his death does nothing to the organization. piss them off maybe, but that's aout it.

cheers

Redtail
The first song I thought of after I realized what was happening on 9/11...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmvG2ZiPfoo

It still fits!

Puppycow
1st May 2011, 09:00 PM
No. The conspiracies start here (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7140176&postcount=107). ;)

Actually they started here (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7139934&postcount=6). ;)

Beerina
1st May 2011, 09:01 PM
Somehow, the victory seems hollow without a trial, but the victory is rendered no less sweet by the justice delivered by the dedicated military forces of the United States of America.

I raise my glass to these fine military men and women, and to those who lead them.

Hooray for OUR side!

It's better off this way than a capture followed by months of a posturing trial.

fishinful
1st May 2011, 09:02 PM
i kept thinking the presidents PJ's were underneath his suit

One Skunk Todd
1st May 2011, 09:03 PM

Me too.

mysteronyx
1st May 2011, 09:04 PM
his best speech yet

Darth Rotor
1st May 2011, 09:04 PM
Now, tomorrow, we get all the talking heads tell us what we really heard from Obie.
The spin on that should be amazing!

I am glad I heard it as he spoke it. This phrase was my takeaway in his message for others who think to carry on in Osama's footsteps.

"We will be relentless."

I wonder how much play that will get. You could say that's been our posture since Nov 2011, even with the screw up at Tora Bora. Relentless ... within the usual political constraints. :p

WildCat
1st May 2011, 09:05 PM
Apparently it was a SEAL team that solved the OBL problem.

EventHorizon
"I guess signing up for Foursquare was a bad idea."
-Osama Bin Laden

Travis
My FB status was Col. Mustard killed Bin Laden in the library with a candlestick.

I was afraid people wouldn't get it.

No it's the Conservatory. It's always the the Conservatory.

Resume
1st May 2011, 09:06 PM

Well, of course.

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 09:06 PM
No it's the Conservatory. It's always the the Conservatory.

"1 + 2 + 1 + 1".

* EventHorizon hopes someone gets the reference.

Information Analyst
1st May 2011, 09:07 PM
I do hope you understand I was joking.
Of course, so was I, but then....

Infowars - Breaking: Bin Laden Has Been on Ice for Eight Years According to Our Intel (http://www.infowars.com/osama-bin-laden-is-dead-2/)

Oh. Dear.

Ausmerican
1st May 2011, 09:07 PM
Steve jobs tracked his iPhone and told the Seals.

dtugg
1st May 2011, 09:08 PM
How awesome it would be the guy that whacked that bastard. I wish I could have done it.

Kthulhut Fhtagn
1st May 2011, 09:08 PM
Of course, so was I, but then....

Infowars - Breaking: Bin Laden Has Been on Ice for Eight Years According to Our Intel (http://www.infowars.com/osama-bin-laden-is-dead-2/)

Oh. Dear.

Well how else was Bush Cheney gonna ensure Obama was able to defeat Trump?

Polaris
1st May 2011, 09:10 PM
I was hoping Obama would pull OBL's head out of a basket, Braveheart-style, on live TV.

tyr_13
Steve jobs tracked his iPhone and told the Seals.

Steve would never do this. He dislikes the design of the guns. Too many buttons and no white plastic anywhere.

MG1962
How awesome it would be the guy that whacked that bastard. I wish I could have done it.

He will never have to buy himself another drink for the rest of his life

I can imagine his report "Ooops my bad, sorry everyone" lol

steve s
1st May 2011, 09:11 PM
CNN just replayed Obama's speech. He definitely said that it was today that he authorized the action against bin Laden, not days or a week ago.

Steve S

CORed
1st May 2011, 09:12 PM
I don't normally cheer anyone's death, but I'll make an exception in Osama's case.

Tony
1st May 2011, 09:12 PM
Watching ABC: There is a sizable crowd of revelers growing outside the Whitehouse.

UnrepentantSinner
1st May 2011, 09:15 PM
First presidential speech I've watched in 15+ years.

I don't like grave dancing, but after watching 9/11 happen on TV... Na Na Nah Na, Bin La Den, Goodbye...

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 09:15 PM
I don't normally cheer anyone's death, but I'll make an exception in Osama's case.

"I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
-Mark Twain

Polaris
1st May 2011, 09:16 PM

I guarantee my SEAL buddies just south of Dallas are wishing it was them instead. If they know anything they aren't gonna say.

joobz
I am glad I heard it as he spoke it. This phrase was my takeaway in his message for others who think to carry on in Osama's footsteps.

"We will be relentless."

I wonder how much play that will get. You could say that's been our posture since Nov 2011, even with the screw up at Tora Bora. Relentless ... within the usual political constraints. :p
I assume you mean 2001.
Weed must work quickly.:D

MG1962
CNN just replayed Obama's speech. He definitely said that it was today that he authorized the action against bin Laden, not days or a week ago.

Steve S

I hope he trots that out in the next debate when the GOP call him soft on terrorism

Moon-Spinner
1st May 2011, 09:17 PM
I was going to post an essay on all of this news, but it's getting late and I'm tired, so I'll just leave with a hardy "BRAVO"

Bravo to the intelligence behind it

Bravo to the Special forces that conducted it

Bravo to Obama for pushing it

Bravo for ignoring any issues of going into Pakistan without permission first to get it done!

HumanityBlues
I guess Obama isn't a muslim terrorist after all.

One Skunk Todd
Watching ABC: There is a sizable crowd of revelers growing outside the Whitehouse.

I wonder if the same thing's happening in Time's Square.

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 09:19 PM
I wonder if the same thing's happening in Time's Square.

Not Time's Square but here's the view from Ground Zero:

http://yfrog.com/gy2yywxj

MG1962
I guarantee my SEAL buddies just south of Dallas are wishing it was them instead. If they know anything they aren't gonna say.

I refuse to accept that even American SEALs can swim that far over dry land :p

Moon-Spinner

LOL - That went through my head also.

Sledge

No, now he's the CHIEF muslim terrorist after ordering the execution of his boss.

The Fool
1st May 2011, 09:20 PM
the seals did it? What a pisser for the guy that got the shots off.....he won't be able to cash in on it......anonymity and all that. Still, you would think the damn team should at least get an oprah appearance.... even in balaclavas.

good riddance to OB and well done to the Team that did it....

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 09:20 PM
No, now he's the CHIEF muslim terrorist after ordering the execution of his boss.

:)

How does this change Glenn Beck's muslim caliphate theory?

Edit: Counting down how long it's gonna take for Fox News to give Bush all the credit for this.

Wowbagger
1st May 2011, 09:23 PM
Big deal. I thought he was dead years ago.

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 09:24 PM
If you can handle Fox News, they just had some live video from Time's Square. Pretty cool stuff.

steve s
1st May 2011, 09:24 PM
CNN described Abbottabad as an affluent area with a lot of retired military officials. They described bin Laden's compound as having 12 foot walls around it.

Steve S

Ausmerican
1st May 2011, 09:25 PM
Beck, Rush etc have a sleepless night to look forward to. They have to script this in some way that gives Obama NO credit for it happening.

Resume
1st May 2011, 09:25 PM
the seals did it? What a pisser for the guy that got the shots off.....he won't be able to cash in on it......anonymity and all that. Still, you would think the damn team should at least get an oprah appearance.... even in balaclavas.

good riddance to OB and well done to the Team that did it....

Oh I'll bet we'll get some play-by-play at some point.

Moon-Spinner
1st May 2011, 09:27 PM
How long before the first TV movie about the raid airs?

Resume
They're doing the Nah-nah-nah-nah song outside the White House right now.

Travis
Oh I'm sure the whole operation will make for an interesting book one day. I'll pre-order my copy way ahead of time.

mysteronyx
Reports say that he was killed last week, while Obama claims he ordered the attack today.

I assume we're to believe Obama?

One Skunk Todd
CNN described Abbottabad as an affluent area with a lot of retired military officials. They described bin Laden's compound as having 12 foot walls around it.

Steve S

Abbotabad according to Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/AbbottabadCityatNight.jpg

It actually looks beautiful to me.

Tricky
1st May 2011, 09:28 PM
They probably used tanks.

MusicMan
1st May 2011, 09:29 PM
That White House crowd is awesome!

One Skunk Todd
1st May 2011, 09:29 PM
I'll bet the stocks do well tomorrow. :)

Purplefink
1st May 2011, 09:30 PM
Reports say that he was killed last week, while Obama claims he ordered the attack today.

I assume we're to believe Obama?

I think Last week he made a statement saying they'd get him no matter how long it takes. But I think it has been said that this operation started last august sometime. This week they closed in on him and today they got him...

Polaris
1st May 2011, 09:35 PM

Most likely fast-roped into the compound from helicopters.

A woman was apparently killed when one of the "warriors of God" used her as a human shield - how symbolic is THAT?

MG1962
1st May 2011, 09:35 PM
Anyone with C-span, they have hooked into Al-Jazeera and there has been a bit of footage from the compound - dark, mostly stuff on fire

MG1962
1st May 2011, 09:37 PM

As long as the filters were set up properly I could see that working lol

steve s
1st May 2011, 09:39 PM
Anyone with C-span, they have hooked into Al-Jazeera and there has been a bit of footage from the compound - dark, mostly stuff on fire

Just turned it on. They're showing flames shooting out of a building.

R.Mackey
1st May 2011, 09:39 PM
I too wish we could have got him alive, but on balance, I'll take it.

Here's to our lads and lasses in uniform. Going into harm's way indeed!

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 09:42 PM
They said a woman was killed who was being used as a human shield for Bin Laden.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 09:43 PM
It is almost too bad there is no Hell. The thought of that piece of **** being completely shocked at arriving in Hell instead of being greeted by 72 virgins in paradise is hilarious.
I read on the Net he's been seen in Hell. Spread the word.

INRM
1st May 2011, 09:43 PM
Here's what I'm wondering

1.) Since this will get nonstop media attention round the clock to the exclusion of everything else: What will the government do while none of us are looking? Will they ram unpopular bills through.

They could ram through the internet kill switch, they could ram through some kind of online national ID card system (which they had proposed requiring all citizens to have an ID card to go online), and so forth.

2.) Could this be used to justify all of the ugliest policies of both Administrations. After all, Osama's dead, and they might argue that the Patriot Act, Torture, Warrantless Wiretapping, and rendition were instrumental. The Patriot act will get renewed without opposition.

What are your opinions?

3.) Will terrorists try to take a whack at us in revenge for the loss of their leader?

INRM
No matter how I die, it was murder. Should I disappear, it's obvious who did it ;)

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 09:45 PM
They said a woman was killed who was being used as a human shield for Bin Laden.

MSNBC reports it was another person hiding behind the woman. We'll never know if it is true or a PR story. Too bad we can't trust our own military to tell us the truth.

Ausmerican
1st May 2011, 09:45 PM

1.) Since this will get nonstop media attention round the clock to the exclusion of everything else: What will the government do while none of us are looking? Will they ram unpopular bills through.

They could ram through the internet kill switch, they could ram through some kind of online national ID card system (which they had proposed requiring all citizens to have an ID card to go online), and so forth.

2.) This could be used to justify all of the ugliest policies of both Administrations. After all, Osama's dead, and they'll argue that the Patriot Act, Torture, Warrantless Wiretapping, and rendition were instrumental. The Patriot act will get renewed without opposition.

What are your opinions?

Your tinfoil is wrapped too tight?

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 09:46 PM
This will totally overshadow Canada's elections today...

Zep
Zot! Nice one. Good guys 1, bad guys -1. :th:

Incidentally, how it should have been done with Saddam, instead of everyone and his K9 plus the commisary charging into Iraq with lights flashing, horns blaring and guns blazing.

Ziggurat
Warning: strong language
3BN1jSpiyIM

And I think this is video from the secret operation that infiltrated the compound:
6wmw8UB4HCU

DavidJames
1st May 2011, 09:47 PM

2.) This could be used to justify all of the ugliest policies of both Administrations. After all, Osama's dead, and they'll argue that the Patriot Act, Torture, Warrantless Wiretapping, and rendition were instrumental. The Patriot act will get renewed without opposition.

What are your opinions?Your comments show (prove) you need serious help. Please seek help.

Corsair 115
1st May 2011, 09:50 PM

Not in Canada it won't. CBC News still had lots of stories on the election.

DavidJames
1st May 2011, 09:51 PM
Surprised?UMzTNlNG-tg

Skeptic Ginger
Beck, Rush etc have a sleepless night to look forward to. They have to script this in some way that gives Obama NO credit for it happening.

Not too hard, Sword of Truth already did that in his post.

Fnord
Those were NAVY seals! They're amphibious, y'know...

Go:chiefpet:Navy!

Polaris
1st May 2011, 09:52 PM
Wait, they're going to respect Islamic burial procedures for OBL's body?

WTF?!

Grind him into fish bait. Feed him to pigs.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 09:52 PM
Surprised?UMzTNlNG-tg

:dl:

OMFSM, that has to be a spoof.

MG1962
1st May 2011, 09:53 PM
Warning: strong language
3BN1jSpiyIM

And I think this is video from the secret operation that infiltrated the compound:
6wmw8UB4HCU

Obviously faked - The pyramids are still standing

HumanityBlues
Those were NAVY seals! They're amphibious, y'know...

Go:chiefpet:Navy!

Technically no they aren't cause they can't breathe underwater......

It's about time a real argument starts in this thread!:D

Brainster
Kudos to all involved, including the President.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 09:54 PM

WTF?!

Grind him into fish bait. Feed him to pigs.I agree, respecting his religious beliefs that he used as his excuse to attack the US? That's just wrong.

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 09:55 PM
This is truly the end of an era. Who will replace him? (http://i.imgur.com/1krKD.png)

Mr. Purple
1st May 2011, 09:56 PM
"1 + 2 + 1 + 1".

* EventHorizon;7140234 hopes someone gets the reference.

I'm going home to sleep with my wife.

Howie Felterbush
1st May 2011, 09:57 PM

WTF?!

Grind him into fish bait. Feed him to pigs.

Here's an even better idea (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7140318&postcount=7).

Polaris
1st May 2011, 09:58 PM
Here's an even better idea (http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p=7140318&postcount=7).

Ok, touche.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 09:59 PM
A mansion with no Internet lines, no phone lines, no cell phone calls in or out.... These people are not very bright. You'd think they could have had those lines and restrain themselves from having any suspicious communications.

Moon-Spinner
Surprised?UMzTNlNG-tg

The newscaster's co-host turns and whispers to him that he screwed up :p

Puppycow
Markets react (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-02/s-p-500-futures-jump-oil-drops-on-bin-laden-s-death-yen-silver-decline.html):

U.S. stock-index futures and Asian shares jumped, while crude oil fell from a 31-month high and the yen weakened after President Barack Obama said Osama bin Laden is dead. Silver tumbled as much as 13 percent.

Not sure that last one has anything to do with bin Laden.

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:00 PM
A mansion with no Internet lines, no phone lines, no cell phone calls in or out.... These people are not very bright. You'd think they could have had those lines and restrain themselves from having any suspicious communications.

Hey, they were bright enough to evade being found for 10 years.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 10:00 PM
This is truly the end of an era. Who will replace him? (http://i.imgur.com/1krKD.png)No, the end of the era will be when we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 10:02 PM
Obama got results rather swiftly, he took a decision and it got done, which makes the Bush administration look pretty bad, it seems to indicate that there were massive systemic problems with their intelligence gathering and operations.

I'm really impressed with Obama today.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 10:03 PM
Hey, they were bright enough to evade being found for 10 years.

Can't resist.......

Well for 8 of those years Bush was in charge. Apparently it wasn't that hard during that time.

steve s
1st May 2011, 10:04 PM
You'd think they could have had those lines and restrain themselves from having any suspicious communications.

He knew he wouldn't be able to resist the porn.

Steve S

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:04 PM
No, the end of the era will be when we pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Please click my link to understand the context.

tyr_13
1st May 2011, 10:05 PM

Two seals were in a tank, one turns to the other one and says, "You drive, and I'll man the gun."

tyr_13
1st May 2011, 10:06 PM
Can't resist.......

Well for 8 of those years Bush was in charge. Apparently it wasn't that hard during that time.

Can we at least try to wait until the morning to try to hog credit for whatever group one likes and deny it from whatever group one dislikes?

Sword_Of_Truth
1st May 2011, 10:07 PM

"Taliban" Jack Layton will call for flags to fly at half-mast.

HumanityBlues
http://i.imgur.com/NSYmw.jpg

geni
Reports of a helicopter crash. Hmm I would have assumed that an osprey would have been used.

WildCat
1st May 2011, 10:08 PM
Bravo for ignoring any issues of going into Pakistan without permission first to get it done!
Apparently Pakistani forces were involved in the operation.

One Skunk Todd
1st May 2011, 10:09 PM

FTW!

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:11 PM
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6600/kdssc.jpg

tyr_13
1st May 2011, 10:12 PM

Nice!

EDIT: Who gets the credit for that one?

EventHorizon
ETA - Beaten to the punch.

keale
He knew he wouldn't be able to resist the porn.

Steve S

Several of my friends have served in Iraq and a few in Afghanistan and from what they tell me the locals there LOVE porn.

Skeptic Ginger
Obama got results rather swiftly, he took a decision and it got done, which makes the Bush administration look pretty bad, it seems to indicate that there were massive systemic problems with they're intelligence gathering and operations.

I'm really impressed with Obama today.
Richard Clarke's book (http://www.richardaclarke.net/against_all_enemies.php) details how the Bush admin totally dropped the ball Clinton handed off to them regarding Bin Laden. Not sure it would have changed the problems that Coleen Rowley blew the whistle on (http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020603/memo.html), but it didn't help. Especially when Bush ignored the Daily Presidential Brief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bin_Ladin_Determined_To_Strike_in_US) that contained a specific warning, not the historical info Conde Rice tried to brush it off as.

geni

Not really. Al-Qaeda hasn't had much centeral control for years and Ayman al-Zawahiri (the smart one) is still out there.

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:13 PM
Not really. Al-Qaeda hasn't had much centeral control for years and Ayman al-Zawahiri (the smart one) is still out there.

Debbie downer.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 10:14 PM
Can we at least try to wait until the morning to try to hog credit for whatever group one likes and deny it from whatever group one dislikes?
No. This event dredges up old wounds.

AdMan

I love this.

Thanks. :D

HumanityBlues
http://i.imgur.com/IDsF2.gif

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 10:16 PM
Please click my link to understand the context.

Oh. I see. And who was the hide and seek champ before Bin Laden?

Kopji
1st May 2011, 10:18 PM
When the strong emotions subside, we will see that it is best to continue with the same persistent resolve and professionalism that brought this success.

He is dead, that is justice, and we move on to the next priority. "Next".

If we wanted to piss his followers off, we could turn his body over to the Pakistani Sufis. :)

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:18 PM
Oh. I see. And who was the hide and seek champ before Bin Laden?

Good question.

Skeptic Ginger
1st May 2011, 10:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IDsF2.gif

That's bizarre.

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:20 PM
A picture of Bin Laden's dead body has already hit the web. It'll be out there eventually and is pretty gross, so I'm not going to link it.

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 10:20 PM
inspired by HumanityBlues:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/perdalis/obama-shades-786496.jpg

EventHorizon
1st May 2011, 10:22 PM
A picture of Bin Laden's dead body has already hit the web. It'll be out there eventually and is pretty gross, so I'm not going to link it.

I'm sure it's gross but we're all adults. Not to sound morbid or anything but I say go ahead and post the link.

HumanityBlues
inspired by HumanityBlues:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/perdalis/obama-shades-786496.jpg

Ha! Good stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/mjbaU.jpg

LTC8K6

And talking to Oprah...

portlandatheist
1st May 2011, 10:26 PM
YES! YES! YES! Thank you Obama! Goodbye OBL! This is a time for all of us to celebrate!

Quad4_72
1st May 2011, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have a little partying smiley face that I can use? This one will have to do for now:
:cool:

steve s
1st May 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm sure it's gross but we're all adults. Not to sound morbid or anything but I say go ahead and post the link.

Just do a Google search on Osama Bin Laden's dead body. It's the second pic on the images page.

Steve S

LTC8K6
1st May 2011, 10:29 PM
MSNBC reporting that the lead that led to this moment goes way back.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42853221/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Hopefully Obama's team is smart enough not to try and use this politically. It could certainly backfire.

I'm glad he gave credit to Clinton and Bush and informed them before his public announcement.

HumanityBlues
1st May 2011, 10:31 PM
MSNBC reporting that the lead that led to this moment goes way back.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42853221/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/

Hopefully Obama's team is smart enough not to try and use this politically. It could certainly backfire.

I'm glad he gave credit to Clinton and Bush and informed them before his public announcement.

Why would not using it politically be "smart"?

Jimbo07
1st May 2011, 10:34 PM
It's weird reading the comments on youtube. Even from Obama's supporters, many of the comments are bonkers, or illiterate...

Pardalis
1st May 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of this police officer:

a1EoZ_nwYIk

Igopogo
I've opened up a bottle of the good stuff. Cheers to you all!

AdMan
It's weird reading the comments on youtube. Even from Obama's supporters, many of the comments are bonkers, or illiterate...

YouTube commenters are usually both, no matter the video, and best avoided.

LTC8K6
1st May 2011, 10:36 PM
Why would not using it politically be "smart"?

I think it gets him 4 more years already.

If he tries to actually push it as an issue on which he should be re-elected, it could look bad.

He can use it best by just letting it lay, imo.

There's no real Republican opposition that I can see, and I can't stand Obama...

MG1962
1st May 2011, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have a little partying smiley face that I can use? This one will have to do for now:
:cool:

Little? - I think this a day America has deserved to go big, VERY big