PDA

View Full Version : Washington Times


Tony
7th April 2004, 11:52 AM
I've heard it mentioned on this website that the Washington Times is owned by the Moonies, but have not seen any evidence of it. Anyone have a good link they can provide so that I can read about this?

Grammatron
7th April 2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Tony
I've heard it mentioned on this website that the Washington Times is owned by the Moonies, but have not seen any evidence of it. Anyone have a good link they can provide so that I can read about this?

Dude there's this website called google.com and ... :p

Anyway, check out this link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/cult/unification/wtimes.htm

varwoche
7th April 2004, 11:58 AM
Google has no shortage of results when you search ["washington times" AND moonies].

Hexxenhammer
7th April 2004, 12:00 PM
What I want to know, does the Christian Science Monitor have a "Health" section, and what's in it.

Nyarlathotep
7th April 2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hexxenhammer
What I want to know, does the Christian Science Monitor have a "Health" section, and what's in it.

Youmade me curious so I went and looked (att heir online paper, anyway). They don't seem to have a health section though they do have a science and technology section which I think is just about as ironic.

Tony
7th April 2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Grammatron


Dude there's this website called google.com [/url]

Well, I didnt start the thread just for information, but to also stimulate discussion. :)

Jocko
7th April 2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Tony
I've heard it mentioned on this website that the Washington Times is owned by the Moonies, but have not seen any evidence of it. Anyone have a good link they can provide so that I can read about this?

You think THAT'S bad? One of Jesse Jackson's scumball sons is thinking about buying the Chicago Sun-Times. Of course, he'd have to give up his lucrative and politically-granted Budweiser distributorship first, but it'd be worth it to cut the Jesse Jackson exposes in half in his own hometown, wouldn't it?

The Jacksons are like the Kennedys.... except they just won't die.

Edited to add:

I think you have to register, but look at this and tremble.

Yusef Jackson and the Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0404030212apr03,1,4725169.story)

Yusef Jackson, son of Rev. Jesse Jackson, is among a handful of bidders proceeding to the next round of the auction for all or part of Sun-Times publisher Hollinger International Inc., according to a source with knowledge of the bids.

Jackson, whose family owns and operates an Anheuser-Busch distributorship in Chicago, is bidding for Hollinger's Chicago group, which includes the Chicago Sun-Times, the Daily Southtown and dozens of other Chicago-area newspapers.

headscratcher4
7th April 2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jocko


You think THAT'S bad? One of Jesse Jackson's scumball sons is thinking about buying the Chicago Sun-Times. Of course, he'd have to give up his lucrative and politically-granted Budweiser distributorship first, but it'd be worth it to cut the Jesse Jackson exposes in half in his own hometown, wouldn't it?

The Jacksons are like the Kennedys.... except they just won't die.

So, let me understand, you're upset because the "worthless" son of a famous man, who has made his way in life trading on the prestige and position of his father rather than on his own merit -- like getting a directorship in a company -- is trying to parly that otherwise un-earned position into something more powerful or lucrative?

Kind of reminds me of the Geroge W. Bush stroy....;)

Jocko
7th April 2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by headscratcher4


So, let me understand, you're upset because the "worthless" son of a famous man, who has made his way in life trading on the prestige and position of his father rather than on his own merit -- like getting a directorship in a company -- is trying to parly that otherwise un-earned position into something more powerful or lucrative?

Kind of reminds me of the Geroge W. Bush stroy....;)

Ahem, Headscratcher, I can tell you don't understand how A-B distributorships are awarded, particularly in a town like Chicago, so I'll educate you with my nice-guy face on, m'kay?

First off, I worked with A-B marketing for over 8 years in various capacities. I've sat down with August Busch and his dopey son (affectionately know as Augie Doggie and his Doggie Daddy). While I respect A-B itself, its distribution network is a collage of mob-run and crime-connected political shams. You bribe or intimidate your way into that job, you don't interview for it in a noble attempt to "make it on my own in spite of my famous daddy!"

Jesse bought that thing for Yusef, plain and simple, and he did it by diverting charity money. Plus I'm sure he topped it all off with a threat or two of a black boycott of A-B in Chicago, just to make it stick.

Can I prove it? No. But that's how distributorships are granted. It has nothing at all to do with merit; in fact, it's a common dumping ground for idiots like Yusef, the Fredo of the Jackson family, so he can make a few bucks.

Sorry if you didn't see where I was coming from, but you shouldn't be so quick to confuse contempt with envy.

Grammatron
7th April 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep


Youmade me curious so I went and looked (att heir online paper, anyway). They don't seem to have a health section though they do have a science and technology section which I think is just about as ironic.

Not to derail the thread, but what is so ironic?

headscratcher4
7th April 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Jocko


Ahem, Headscratcher, I can tell you don't understand how A-B distributorships are awarded, particularly in a town like Chicago, so I'll educate you with my nice-guy face on, m'kay?

First off, I worked with A-B marketing for over 8 years in various capacities. I've sat down with August Busch and his dopey son (affectionately know as Augie Doggie and his Doggie Daddy). While I respect A-B itself, its distribution network is a collage of mob-run and crime-connected political shams. You bribe or intimidate your way into that job, you don't interview for it in a noble attempt to "make it on my own in spite of my famous daddy!"

Jesse bought that thing for Yusef, plain and simple, and he did it by diverting charity money. Plus I'm sure he topped it all off with a threat or two of a black boycott of A-B in Chicago, just to make it stick.

Can I prove it? No. But that's how distributorships are granted. It has nothing at all to do with merit; in fact, it's a common dumping ground for idiots like Yusef, the Fredo of the Jackson family, so he can make a few bucks.

Sorry if you didn't see where I was coming from, but you shouldn't be so quick to confuse contempt with envy.

Hope I wasn't confusing contempt with envy. I share your contempt, BTW.

The only difference is that I have it for GWB also. Sad to say, what Jesse did or got away with is pretty much the American way. You sound upset because, in your opinion (and, quite believably in fact) the starting point was money from one of dadies political or chairtable concerns. That is pretty contemptible. So, young Jackson profits on what is essentially a crime.

All I was doing was thinking that this happens all the time. I was
merely pointing out a similarity between what Jesse and friend of Jesse did to help his kids and how GWB was helped along the way in life -- for example how he got out of the Harkin oil mess (and let him get away with his insider trading deal).

Yours in mutural contempt...



;)

Nyarlathotep
7th April 2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Grammatron


Not to derail the thread, but what is so ironic?

I think that a group that rejects a scientific principle as basic as the germ theory of disease having a science section in their newspaper is ironic. To me it would be like an Amish newspaper (I have no idea if there is such a thing) having a section on cars.

Jocko
7th April 2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by headscratcher4


Hope I wasn't confusing contempt with envy. I share your contempt, BTW.

The only difference is that I have it for GWB also. Sad to say, what Jesse did or got away with is pretty much the American way. You sound upset because, in your opinion (and, quite believably in fact) the starting point was money from one of dadies political or chairtable concerns. That is pretty contemptible. So, young Jackson profits on what is essentially a crime.

I wouldn't say that, simply because the entire system is based on graft and extortion. Can it really be called a crime when the whole of the population - distributors - is criminal? (BTW: No, that is NOT an exaggeration!)

If Jesse hadn't bought a distributorship for his son, some corrupt alderman would have done the same for his son. Or if not him, someone else. That's not what bothers me in this case, however.

All I was doing was thinking that this happens all the time. I was
merely pointing out a similarity between what Jesse and friend of Jesse did to help his kids and how GWB was helped along the way in life -- for example how he got out of the Harkin oil mess (and let him get away with his insider trading deal).

Not a very good comparison, except on the premise level... my problem is that Yusef "Fredo" Jackson wants to buy half the newspaper presence in a town where his racketeering father has an interest in silencing the press. The fact that he'll be buying it with money earned from yet ANOTHER power-brokered position is merely a galling detail, not the central issue at hand as I see it.

The wealthy help their kids. But so do the poor, just in different ways. I'd do it for mine, and you'd do it for yours. But it fails the sniff test when the fruits of daddy's "generosity" so clearly spell out a big benefit to daddy himself.

Yours in mutural contempt...



;)

That's a nice avatar ya got dere. Be a shame if sumthin' bad was ta happen to it. The net can be a dangerous place, y'know? ;)

headscratcher4
7th April 2004, 01:05 PM
That's a nice avatar ya got dere. Be a shame if sumthin' bad was ta happen to it. The net can be a dangerous place, y'know?

"You talking to me?" -- TaxiDriver
:D

Grammatron
7th April 2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep


I think that a group that rejects a scientific principle as basic as the germ theory of disease having a science section in their newspaper is ironic. To me it would be like an Amish newspaper (I have no idea if there is such a thing) having a section on cars.

Have you actually read the articles on the website or do you just assume based on the name?

Nyarlathotep
7th April 2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Grammatron


Have you actually read the articles on the website or do you just assume based on the name?

I know quite well that the Christian Science Monitor is a respected newspaper (though it is not one that I read, admittedly) and no doubt has fine articles. That is not my point. My point it that it has some sort of connection to the Christian Science church (even if only in name) and therefore I find them having a science and technology section ironic.

Hexxenhammer
7th April 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep


I know quite well that the Christian Science Monitor is a respected newspaper (though it is not one that I read, admittedly) and no doubt has fine articles. That is not my point. My point it that it has some sort of connection to the Christian Science church (even if only in name) and therefore I find them having a science and technology section ironic. Grammatron lost his sense of humor in a tragic bananna peel/manhole accident years ago. Please quit taunting him.

Grammatron
7th April 2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Hexxenhammer
Grammatron lost his sense of humor in a tragic bananna peel/manhole accident years ago. Please quit taunting him.

:p