PDA

View Full Version : What to do about CTists in Congress?

The Charnel Expanse
29th July 2011, 10:35 AM
How does this country deal with, or even survive an influx of kooks into the halls of power? You know, the ones who refuse to believe the warnings from every single credible source that failing to raise the debt ceiling would be catastrophic for the U.S. and global economy.
I respect anyone willing to challenge mainstream ideas, but only so long as their challenges are based on facts and reasoned analysis. There's a fine line between courage and insanity, and these people are clearly crossing it to make some abstract point that they themselves don't even seem to understand.

But the bigger issue is not with individual congresspeople, but the fact that the country as a whole seems to have fallen into a collective derangement over the past decade-plus. It's manifested itself in a number of ways. From the Truther phenomenon [which despite the complete lack of progress made by their 'movement' does not appear to be shrinking in number] to the Birthers, Deathers and those who believe in all manner of theories regarding Muslims and illegal aliens.

Such a collective distrust of science and logic is an existential threat to a society. The question is what can be done about it? If we can't convince people entrusted with governance of the country to appeal to reason, what hope do we have?

Alareth
29th July 2011, 02:20 PM
But the bigger issue is not with individual congresspeople, but the fact that the country as a whole seems to have fallen into a collective derangement over the past decade-plus. It's manifested itself in a number of ways. From the Truther phenomenon [which despite the complete lack of progress made by their 'movement' does not appear to be shrinking in number] to the Birthers, Deathers and those who believe in all manner of theories regarding Muslims and illegal aliens.

Such a collective distrust of science and logic is an existential threat to a society. The question is what can be done about it? If we can't convince people entrusted with governance of the country to appeal to reason, what hope do we have?

A Fox News host just asked Bill Nye if recently discovered evidence of vulcanism on the moon was cause to doubt global warming.

deep
29th July 2011, 02:32 PM
How does this country deal with, or even survive an influx of kooks into the halls of power?

..don't vote for them next time?

dafydd
29th July 2011, 02:49 PM
Poke them with sticks and laugh at them?

BaaBaa
29th July 2011, 03:31 PM
A Fox News host just asked Bill Nye if recently discovered evidence of vulcanism on the moon was cause to doubt global warming.

I saw that this morning: the look on Mr. The Science Guy's* face at about the 30 second mark was priceless.

*I don't know his actual credentials- too lazy to investigoogle.

Horatius
29th July 2011, 04:55 PM
..don't vote for them next time?

Problem is, the kooks have the vote too, and they seem to outnumber us....

The Charnel Expanse
29th July 2011, 05:29 PM
Problem is, the kooks have the vote too, and they seem to outnumber us....

That's kind of what I'm getting at. When kooks elect other kooks to the halls of power, that gives kooks a much larger megaphone to spread their kookiness and turn others into kooks. It's a vicious cycle.

Horatius
29th July 2011, 05:38 PM
That's kind of what I'm getting at. When kooks elect other kooks to the halls of power, that gives kooks a much larger megaphone to spread their kookiness and turn others into kooks. It's a vicious cycle.

To quote a friend of mine: "At some point, you just decide that the only moral option is to take over the world..."

And yes, that's an actual quote. No fooolin'