PDA

View Full Version : Election Could Tempt Attack by Terror Groups, Rice Says

Charlie Monoxide
19th April 2004, 11:13 AM
This is a headline from today's NYT (you'll need to get a free account to see full story).

I think that as a nation we should usurp those "bastard terrorists" and just call off the election this year. This way we could be more focused on the "war on terrorism" and not be bogged down with elections and political partisanship.

We'll have another election after we renew the Patriot Act and win the "war on terrorism".

Charlie (write me in when they restart the elections) Monoxide

Cleon
19th April 2004, 11:32 AM
When all else fails, use FUD.

I do believe that's the Bush administration mantra...

Chaos
19th April 2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
When all else fails, use FUD.

I do believe that's the Bush administration mantra...

FUD? What´s FUD?

Cleon
19th April 2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chaos

FUD? What´s FUD?

Sorry, it's geek talk. "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt." Governments and corporations use it to manipulate people.

See for example this (http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/FUD.html) explanation.

Chaos
19th April 2004, 11:49 AM
Ah. Thanks for enlightening me.

RandFan
19th April 2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Cleon
Sorry, it's geek talk. "Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt." Governments and corporations use it to manipulate people.Oh absolutely!!!!

Good example, the Dems tell everyone that if Bush is not removed from office that seniors won't get their prescriptions that kids will starve and all sorts of scary things.

FUD is very effective on both sides of the aisle.

NightG1
19th April 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by RandFan
Oh absolutely!!!!

Good example, the Dems tell everyone that if Bush is not removed from office that seniors won't get their prescriptions that kids will starve and all sorts of scary things.

FUD is very effective on both sides of the aisle.
Which "Dems" are you talking about?

Luke T.
19th April 2004, 12:56 PM
It so happens I have a NYT account. Interesting spin you put on a mere headline, Charlie.

WASHINGTON, April 18 — President Bush's national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, said on Sunday that the administration was worried that terrorist groups could find the approaching presidential election "too good to pass up" and that Washington was already considering measures to deter an attack seeking to influence the election's outcome.

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," Ms. Rice acknowledged that the March 11 train attacks in Spain, for which groups linked to Al Qaeda have been blamed, could send what she called "the wrong message." The new Spanish government, which was elected in large part on a platform of opposition to participation in the Iraqi occupation, announced Sunday that Spanish forces would be called home soon.

Ms. Rice was not specific about the kind of election-year threat that she is concerned about. But senior administration officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said some of the "chatter" picked up by the National Security Agency and foreign intelligence services in the past six months has included references to the presidential election.

One security official said last month that the chatter partly explained the quick move by the Secret Service this year to increase protection for Senator John Kerry. Throughout most of the primaries, Mr. Kerry traveled with little or no protection, but after it became clear he was the likely Democratic nominee, "there was a quick move to give him the full treatment," the official said.

In recent weeks, as intelligence officials have faced intense public scrutiny about their apparent failure to follow up several leads that might have prevented or delayed the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, F.B.I. officials have said they are actively searching for evidence of any plots related to the election year. But so far, they report, they have not found a specific threat.

There's more, but copyright and all that...

jj
19th April 2004, 02:53 PM
Why does "Margaret Atwood" and "The Handmaid's Tale" come to mind here?

Nasarius
19th April 2004, 08:50 PM
Or you could just use the Google link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/19/politics/campaign/19RICE.html?ex=1082952000&en=2244cc8a411db0bc&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE