PDA

View Full Version : Religion as inkblots

FireGarden
25th August 2011, 04:11 AM
This came up in another thread, but I thought maybe it could be a discussion in itself.

My (observation) was more along the lines of denying that any of them are True Muslims if they have diametrically opposed beliefs. Not arguing that the killer is a True Muslim and the other isn't. I simply posed the question "does Islam even exist?"...

Yes, there's a sense in which there is no such thing as Islam other than a set of inkblots which people interpret as they will. This actually seems to be a good way of undermining relgion. But, then again, I'm not religious and never have been. So just because it looks good to me....

Disagreements, obviously, have been present in religion since the beginning. So religion can survive this kind of thing. So the question really becomes: why isn't this a good way to undermine religion?

Kopji
25th August 2011, 10:41 PM
Religion seems more like an inkblot museum. Only the very best inkblots are on exhibit here. Of course if you don't agree, you are free to go to that less enlightened museum over that a way.