PDA

View Full Version : motorcycling alternative therapy tragedy

damn_wookie
10th March 2003, 11:52 AM
Sheene loss (http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=164708&pageNum=1)

For those of you with an interest in motorcycling here's a tragedy exacerbated by alternative therapies.

Goshawk
10th March 2003, 02:38 PM
"Therapies" plural. He basically tried everything. Golly. :(

spoonhandler
10th March 2003, 05:03 PM
This is very sad. When I heard the news of Sheene's death yesterday, I said to my spouse that I had given Barry a much better chance at survival because of his very positive mental attitude. It was only then I learned Sheene had avoided conventional therapies and gone for 'natural' treatment strategies. Reading the article posted above, I feel at a loss to understand his decision, especially as the treatments he tried had side effects as debilitating as chemotherapy.

Perhaps conventional therapy would have failed. Maybe he had already received advice that his cancers were unlikely to respond to conventional treatments. It sounds as if he rejected chemotherapy for less than sound reasons, but he was diagnosed relatively late I think and the odds were against him.

Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

CelandineWood
10th March 2003, 05:20 PM
Very very sad news. He was a real hero and one of the first posters on my wall, was also responsible for me taking up motorbikes, much to my parent's alarm!

I'm sure Barry would have tried every option available to him such was his zest for life, but sadly he was at the end of his road. :(

Another quintessential part of the '70's is gone, I feel..

chance
10th March 2003, 08:02 PM
A great loss to the motorcycle community, Barry has been a terrific commentator on channel 10 with his witty humour and accurate race commentary. The Moto-GP won’t be the same.