PDA

View Full Version : Jeezuz.. the Catholic Church is more medieval than I thought

shecky
30th April 2004, 11:03 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-fg-exorcist30apr30.story

I grew up in the post Vatican II Church with the notion that it could be a somewhat reasonable beacon of hope in the xtian spectrum that only got wackier. Eventually I left because I no longer needed to believe. But when I see news like this, I just wince. The church I knew that valued education, reason, and critical thinking has ceased to exist.

ceo_esq
30th April 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by shecky
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/showcase/la-fg-exorcist30apr30.story

I grew up in the post Vatican II Church with the notion that it could be a somewhat reasonable beacon of hope in the xtian spectrum that only got wackier. Eventually I left because I no longer needed to believe. But when I see news like this, I just wince. The church I knew that valued education, reason, and critical thinking has ceased to exist. Er... why do you think that this article reflects a Church that values education, reason, and critical thinking less than the one you grew up in? According to the article, the Church you grew up in had an exorcism rite dating from 1614. One of the notable features of the new (1999) one, by most reports, is the emphasis on the desirability of recourse to modern, expert psychiatric, psychological and neurological diagnosis and therapy.

That sounds like an improvement to me.

Marc
30th April 2004, 11:43 AM
Guess you didn't hear a couple years ago about how the Pope tried to do an exorcism. He failed though.. gee, if the pope can't get rid of a demon possession, then who the heck can?

Wrath of the Swarm
30th April 2004, 11:53 AM
Psychiatry is about as fraudulent as the exorcisms are.

Now we're combining the two! Wonderful! Two woos for the price of one.

shecky
30th April 2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by ceo_esq
Er... why do you think that this article reflects a Church that values education, reason, and critical thinking less than the one you grew up in? According to the article, the Church you grew up in had an exorcism rite dating from 1614.

In the church I grew up in, exorcism was pretty much a chuckle. It was about little girls levitating and spinning their heads. IOW, it was mostly a Hollywood invention.

Originally posted by ceo_esq

One of the notable features of the new (1999) one, by most reports, is the emphasis on the desirability of recourse to modern, expert psychiatric, psychological and neurological diagnosis and therapy.

That sounds like an improvement to me.

Yet despite this, the exorcist seems busier than ever, perfoming the ritual dozens of times a week. I don't get the feeling that his services really treat any psychiatric, psychological or neurological problems. Gabriele Amorth basically trots around giving a nice faith healing show. Smidgen of oil, sprinkle of water, and devil begone! No matter that the hoopla is ineffective. It's a dazzling display.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Plenty of priests know this stuff is bogus. I'll wager fewer and fewer are able to swallow this nonsense and go along with their duties.

I'll_buy_that
30th April 2004, 12:42 PM
I found this quote a bit hypocritical..

" confused world engulfed in tragedy and chaos is turning increasingly to black magic, the occult and fortune-telling, he said, proof that the devil and his handmaidens are having a field day"

I have to believe in the devil, everyone else is crazy who believe in fairies.

My fairy can beat up your fairy.

does he do batchelor parties?

Ladewig
30th April 2004, 01:08 PM
Her symptoms were typical; the possessed experience a visceral, utter repulsion from all things holy.

Oh my god. I am possessed and didn't even know it.

This year, one of the country's largest archdioceses established a special task force to handle the growing demand for devil detox.

"Who ya gonna call?"

EdipisReks
2nd May 2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Ladewig

Oh my god. I am possessed and didn't even know it.

"Who ya gonna call?"
"SMURFS!"