PDA

View Full Version : American Muslims who will vote for Bush

Abdul Alhazred
6th May 2004, 03:07 AM
Yup. Republican Muslim Americans.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/05/06/special_reports/religion/21_12_235_5_04.txt

It was just a throwaway line, an aside in a speech to some fellow American Muslims that Muqtedar Khan considered a surefire crowd-pleaser. But when he criticized President Bush over the war on Iraq, Khan was surprised by the response.

"I was booed. They were shouting and booing at me," said Khan, a political scientist at Adrian College in Michigan. "A man came and told me, `If you think the war in Iraq is not moral then I'm sorry to say you have no idea what morality is."'

As Khan saw that day, the president still enjoys pockets of strong support among America's Muslims, despite deep resentment over scrutiny of their community following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

And while Democrats outnumber Republicans among U.S. Muslims, there is a sense that presumptive Democratic nominee John Kerry has done relatively little to reach out to the community.

Among Bush's supporters are Iraqi-Americans and others grateful that Saddam Hussein was ousted, giving their fellow Shiias a chance to govern in that country after decades of oppression.

Please click the link before commenting.

a_unique_person
6th May 2004, 03:20 AM
I think it's called a democracy. You are free to vote for who you want.

Abdul Alhazred
6th May 2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by a_unique_person
I think it's called a democracy. You are free to vote for who you want.

Sort of right. In fact, it's called a republic.