PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 keyboard Click Sounds

RSLancastr
16th February 2012, 10:27 AM
How do I configureWindows 7 so that a sound plays each time a key is pressed on my keyboard? i know I have done this in prefious versions of Windows, but don't seem to find it now.

Why do I want to do this?

Because this junky USB keyboard intermittently drops and adds keystrokes, and I nd up spending nearly as much time correcting the resulting mistakes as I do typing the sentece in the first place.

I am hoping that, with the click/sound enabled, I will be more prone to notice the dropped/added keystroke as it happens rather than having to search for it at the end of a paragraph.

Hecubas
16th February 2012, 10:36 AM
What you need is to find an IBM Model M keyboard (or similar). Tactile and audio response guaranteed.

Lolly
16th February 2012, 10:52 AM
Found this. Don't know anything about it, but you might want to have a look/research it http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm

Psi Baba
16th February 2012, 11:52 AM
Found this. Don't know anything about it, but you might want to have a look/research it http://www.grc.com/freeware/clickey.htm
This sounds intriguing.
If none of ClicKey's 26 built-in sounds suit your needs, ClicKey can be given any available wave file to play.
It sounds like it also has a lot of potential for practical jokes. clickey sound="c:\Windows\media\ouch.wav" for example.

RSLancastr
16th February 2012, 12:40 PM
What you need is to find an IBM Model M keyboard (or similar). Tactile and audio response guaranteed.

My favorite was an IBM 5251 keyboard.

I had looked for something like that. i'll give it a try - thanks!!

This sounds intriguing.

It sounds like it also has a lot of potential for practical jokes. clickey sound="c:\Windows\media\ouch.wav" for example.

Or the female orgasm .WAV from When Harry Met Sally...

jadebox
16th February 2012, 01:11 PM
My favorite was an IBM 5251 keyboard.

I had looked for something like that. i'll give it a try - thanks!!

Or the female orgasm .WAV from When Harry Met Sally...

"I'll have what he's typing ...."

-- Roger

NewtonTrino
16th February 2012, 07:59 PM
Some people reading this thread will want to know what a model M is and where to get one.

I've recently (last year) switched back to using a buckling spring type keyboard like the M. Unicomp basically makes modern versions of the same keyboard. I went with the black one... highly recommended.

NoahFence
16th February 2012, 08:41 PM
This sounds intriguing.

Can you actually program the keyboard to make a sound on a specific key is pressed ?

now that has potential

RSLancastr
16th February 2012, 09:25 PM
Can you actually program the keyboard to make a sound on a specific key is pressed ?

now that has potential

The fact that the software has 26 programmable sounds - the number of letters in the alphabet - makes me wonder if this was not the intent.

Sam.I.Am
16th February 2012, 10:42 PM

GRC.com has never let me down with their software offerings. He always puts up small, well coded and low memory tools. That site and AnalogX.com are probably the only two places that I would go (that I can think of right now) and not ever worry about memory hogs, malware or trojans being a part of the package.

Lolly
16th February 2012, 11:25 PM
GRC.com has never let me down with their software offerings. Yes, I only know it from the firewall testing thing. I've no reason to think it's dodgy, but I always suggest sussing things out for yourself when I've not used it myself.

I'd like to hear James Brown if I had a "singing" keyboard. :D

RSLancastr
17th February 2012, 08:31 AM
Yes, I only know it from the firewall testing thing. I've no reason to think it's dodgy, but I always suggest sussing things out for yourself when I've not used it myself.

I'd like to hear James Brown if I had a "singing" keyboard. :D

...singing "Ow!", I presume?

My first wife would often say "Good God!" when she heard something which she found offensive or beyond belief.

I took to responding, when she would say that,with my rendition of Eddie Murphy's SNL impersonation of james Brown:

"Good gawd! Ow! Jump back! Kiss myself!"

She and our children got a kick out of it around the dinner table.

Lolly
17th February 2012, 09:02 AM
...singing "Ow!", I presume?Yes, you know the one!

RSLancastr
17th February 2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, you know the one!

You knew that I would!