PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Studies of Memory

thaiboxerken
29th September 2004, 11:42 AM
Anyone know where I can find scientific studies that show that memories and experiences are often different from reality?

apoger
29th September 2004, 11:57 AM
Didn't we provide you with tons of info on this topic last month? ;)

Azrael 5
29th September 2004, 11:58 AM
Thai,look up psychology websites,as memory is a topic within it.I did it at college a couple of years ago,if I remember any references(or find any)Ill let you know.Heres one I know of:http://www.psychology.org/links/Environment_Behavior_Relationships/Memory/ ;)

Ed
29th September 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by thaiboxerken
Anyone know where I can find scientific studies that show that memories and experiences are often different from reality?

Look into studies of "eyewitnesses" in court cases. They are notoriously bad.

Dr Adequate
29th September 2004, 12:19 PM
I have a related question. Where can I find the evidence that hypnosis doesn't help in memory retrieval, or even hinders by making the hypnotee more suggestible? (I assume this is the case, or police officers would be taught hypnosis and use it on eyewitnesses).

thaiboxerken
29th September 2004, 12:30 PM
There are studies on false memory creation at that link, Dr.

Barbie-Scully is lurking this forum, btw. Perhaps she'll gain some reason and learn how to think critically by reading our posts.

dharlow
29th September 2004, 12:35 PM
Despite being over 100 years old, one of the best I've seen is the Davey/Hodgson paper involving seance recollection. Davey posed as a spirit medium and performed slate writing tricks for a number of sitters. These sitters were instructed, immediately after the seance, to write down what took place. Despite being relatively fresh in their mind, many sitters misinterpreted an astounding number of things that actually went on.

The paper can be found in the Proceedings for The Society for Psychical Research, Vol IV. "The Possibilites of Mal-Observation And Lapse of Memory From A Practical Point of View", pp 381-495.

See also "Mr. Davey's Imitations by Conjuring of Phenomena Sometimes Attributed To Spirit Agency", PSPR Vol. VIII, pp. 253-310.

Both papers are quite long and will require some digging in the library to find, but are well worth it...and you can bet that very few psychologists have ever read them.

Dr Adequate
29th September 2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by thaiboxerken
There are studies on false memory creation at that link, Dr.
Thanks.

Jeff Corey
29th September 2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Dr Adequate
I have a related question. Where can I find the evidence that hypnosis doesn't help in memory retrieval, or even hinders by making the hypnotee more suggestible? (I assume this is the case, or police officers would be taught hypnosis and use it on eyewitnesses).
Sanders and Simmons (1983) Use of hypnosis to enhance eyewitness accuracy. Does it work? Journal of Applied Psychology, 70-77.
No.

Soapy Sam
29th September 2004, 02:09 PM
I used to know the answer to this question.

My memory is fading with age.

Still, there's hope. There's Dharlow, who can recall the Davey / Harlow paper, despite being over 100 years old.

wipeout
29th September 2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by apoger
Didn't we provide you with tons of info on this topic last month? ;)

:D

MagicTony
30th September 2004, 11:28 AM
Liz Loftus has published tons of material on false memories and source monitoring. Check her out.

Jeff Corey
30th September 2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by MagicTony
Liz Loftus has published tons of material on false memories and source monitoring. Check her out.
Her friends call her "Beth". I don't think she likes "Lix".

MagicTony
30th September 2004, 11:53 AM
Alliteration is fun.

nuff said