PDA

View Full Version : Syria/Lebanon - 2 pics=2000 words?

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 05:17 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050228/capt.bei11802282026.mideast_lebanon_syria_bei118.j pg
Pro-Syrian demonstrators

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050301/capt.sge.oul43.010305115121.photo02.photo.default-380x279.jpg
Anti-Syrian demonstrators

HarryKeogh
2nd March 2005, 05:33 AM
it's obvious that Anti-Syrian demonstrators are 2-3 times hotter than Pro-Syrian demonstrators.

Go Anti-Syria!

Hutch
2nd March 2005, 06:24 AM
Rather, 2 pics = Masterful propaganda. :p

Seriously, I do hope it ends well, but to simplify the matter to 2 pics does not begin to do justice to the situation.

I predict we'll get the 2,000 words anyway--probably on this thread alone.

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Hutch
Rather, 2 pics = Masterful propaganda. :p

Seriously, I do hope it ends well, but to simplify the matter to 2 pics does not begin to do justice to the situation.

I predict we'll get the 2,000 words anyway--probably on this thread alone.

Here's the first 1000

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/06/07/20050301103309990002

Tony
2nd March 2005, 07:40 AM
Lets put this in an American context

"Conservative" Americans:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050228/capt.bei11802282026.mideast_lebanon_syria_bei118.j pg

Pro-Freedom Americans
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050301/capt.sge.oul43.010305115121.photo02.photo.default-380x279.jpg

I always get a chuckle when the "right" applauds things in other countries that, when and if they happen in America, they condemn as "un-patriotic".

Tony
2nd March 2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Rob Lister

More evidence for Harry's thesis. :)

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Tony
Lets put this in an American context

"Conservative" Americans:

Pro-Freedom Americans

I always get a chuckle when the "right" applauds things in other countries that, when and if they happen in America, they condemn as "un-patriotic".

un-patriotic? ! ?? !!!

I admit to being somewhat 'right' in most of my political ideals but I can't imagine why anyone from my side of the fence would see this as un-patriotic.

As an aside to the other two posters: yes, babes they appear to be. Also note the rather flat fingers clearly visible in the last pic. It is a lebanise trait, I'm told. They'd make great guitarists.

BPSCG
2nd March 2005, 07:53 AM
Also note the rather flat fingers clearly visible in the last pic. It is a lebanise trait, I'm told. They'd make great guitarists. You're checking out the fingers???

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by BPSCG
You're checking out the fingers???

Call it a fetish.

Tony
2nd March 2005, 08:04 AM
I admit to being somewhat 'right' in most of my political ideals but I can't imagine why anyone from my side of the fence would see this as un-patriotic.

I guess you don't remember the "right's" response to all the anti-government/anti-bush protests leading up to the war in Iraq.

Cleon
2nd March 2005, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by HarryKeogh
it's obvious that Anti-Syrian demonstrators are 2-3 times hotter than Pro-Syrian demonstrators.

Go Anti-Syria!

Erm, 2-3?

I would agree with your sentiment, except instead of the word "times" I would use "orders of magnitude."

(Oddly enough, every Arab woman I know--which is quite a few, including the gf--is absolutely frikkin' gorgeous. It must be something in the water.)

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 08:14 AM
I guess you don't remember the "right's" response to all the anti-government/anti-bush protests leading up to the war in Iraq.

I'm not sure which of the two of us is very confused but...well, yes, I'm sure, it's you. If I PM you my private address, will you send me a sample of whatever it is you're smoking?

You seem to be equating the act of protesting with being un-patriotic. No one on the right feels that way so far as I know. Now, if the protesters were burning the flag instead of proudly waving it, that might be seen as un-patriotic.

Tony
2nd March 2005, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure which of the two of us is very confused but...well, yes, I'm sure, it's you. If I PM you my private address, will you send me a sample of whatever it is you're smoking?

It's you.

PM? No, you might be a cop.

You seem to be equating the act of protesting with being un-patriotic. No one on the right feels that way so far as I know. Now, if the protesters were burning the flag instead of proudly waving it, that might be seen as un-patriotic.

Yes, it's definitely you. The fact that you interpret me to be equating "the act of protesting with being un-patriotic" can attest to your confusion.

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 08:34 AM
Yes, it's definitely you. The fact that you interpret me to be equating "the act of protesting with being un-patriotic" can attest to your confusion.

Well, explain how it is you think the right would consider this as un-patriotic? I am completely befuddled as to your point. Are you suggesting that because these protesters are not carrying American flags that the right might consider them un-patriotic? That's the only other explaination I can infer.

As to the first point: what if I say pretty-pretty please? :)

BPSCG
2nd March 2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Cleon
(Oddly enough, every Arab woman I know--which is quite a few, including the gf--is absolutely frikkin' gorgeous. It must be something in the water.)
How can you tell?
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20040810/capt.sge.tyd96.100804131250.photo00.default-384x256.jpg http://watch.windsofchange.net/pics/saudi_shopping_s.jpg http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/06/18/19n_veil,0.jpg

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 08:40 AM
How can you tell?
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/06/18/19n_veil,0.jpg

Well, that one has pretty, yet understandably sad eyes.

Darat
2nd March 2005, 08:41 AM
How can you tell?

...snip...

arab <> muslim .....

BPSCG
2nd March 2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Darat
arab <> muslim ..... Nice try. I googled "Saudi women" to get these pictures.

Saudi = Arab

Cleon
2nd March 2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Darat
arab <> muslim .....

And not all Muslim women wear a burqa or hijab. In fact, very few outside of Muslim countries do. (Even in a lot of Muslim countries, such as Indonesia and Turkey, it's relatively rare.)

My gf is Muslim, though not particularly religious. She doesn't cover up her face or hair at all--which is fine by me, as she's nice to look at.

Cleon
2nd March 2005, 08:45 AM
Nice try. I googled "Saudi women" to get these pictures.

Saudi = Arab

But Arab != Saudi.

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 08:47 AM
My gf is Muslim, though not particularly religious. She doesn't cover up her face or hair at all--which is fine by me, as she's nice to look at.

Which is a capital offense in many arab nations.

Cleon
2nd March 2005, 08:56 AM
Which is a capital offense in many arab nations.

Not as far as I know, it isn't. It might be a crime, but not capital AFAIK.

Tony
2nd March 2005, 09:15 AM
Well, explain how it is you think the right would consider this as un-patriotic?

Consider what un-patriotic?

I am completely befuddled as to your point.

I see that.

Are you suggesting that because these protesters are not carrying American flags that the right might consider them un-patriotic?

Absolutely not. The fact that you're asking this speaks of your confusion.

Rob Lister
2nd March 2005, 09:44 AM
Consider what un-patriotic?

I see that.

Absolutely not. The fact that you're asking this speaks of your confusion.

So...explain your assertion. It appears to me (and I suspect everyone else) that it is you that is confused.

Tony
2nd March 2005, 09:47 AM
So...explain your assertion.

I did in my first post. You obviously have trouble comprehending simple words and concepts.

punchdrunk
2nd March 2005, 10:53 AM
Does anyone know if there have been anti-US demonstrations in Iraq since the beginning of our occupation? Since the elections? I've searched and did not find any.

Assuming Iraq continues (or starts, depending on your point of view) on the road to democracy, should we expect more anti-US demonstrations by the Iraqi people? I say yes; they don't like the occupation - who would? - and as they get their democratic 'sea legs' underneath them, I would expect them to become more vocal about it.

geni
2nd March 2005, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to decide which photo depectics realists. Histroy suggests it could be either.

Skeptic
2nd March 2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by geni
I'm trying to decide which photo depectics realists. Histroy suggests it could be either.

True, true... but isn't the "realist" position of always predicting failure a type of intellectual cowardice? Human nature being what it is, if things work out well, people tend to forget the predictions of failure, while, on the other hand, if things go badly, those who predicted success are crucified.

BPSCG
2nd March 2005, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rhoadp
Does anyone know if there have been anti-US demonstrations in Iraq since the beginning of our occupation? Since the elections? I've searched and did not find any.You don't consider car bombs and insurrection to be anti-US demonstrations?

punchdrunk
2nd March 2005, 11:41 AM
You don't consider car bombs and insurrection to be anti-US demonstrations?

Not of the type currently going on in Lebanon. I'm referring to rallies and lawful demonstrations, not criminal or terrorist acts. I assume Iraqis now have the right to peacefully assemble?

geni
2nd March 2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Skeptic
True, true... but isn't the "realist" position of always predicting failure a type of intellectual cowardice? Human nature being what it is, if things work out well, people tend to forget the predictions of failure, while, on the other hand, if things go badly, those who predicted success are crucified.

I'm not predicting failer for either side.

Nyarlathotep
2nd March 2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by geni
I'm not predicting failer for either side.

I will. At least if those pictures are a true indication of the methods used by the opposing sides.

An angry man with a gun will get his way over a hot chick armed only with a flag and a smile nearly every time. It has precisely squat to do with who is right or who is wrong, it's just the way life is.

Grammatron
2nd March 2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Nyarlathotep
I will. At least if those pictures are a true indication of the methods used by the opposing sides.

An angry man with a gun will get his way over a hot chick armed only with a flag and a smile nearly every time. It has precisely squat to do with who is right or who is wrong, it's just the way life is.

Unless the hot chick has US and France behind her.

Foghorn Leghorn
2nd March 2005, 12:59 PM
Here's the first 1000

They misspelled independence. Go guys with guns?

geni
2nd March 2005, 01:05 PM

Not really have a look at how Morocco manged to get hold of the Spanish Sahara (ignore how badly they are doing at holding onto it for a minute).

Cleon
2nd March 2005, 01:06 PM
The real question here, of course, is not who "wins" or "loses," but whether the situation will be resolved without a re-emergence of the civil war that came close to destroying the country completely.

I know many on this board will consider any outcome that deals a defeat to Syria a good thing, but that is NOT the case. Nor is the situation one of "expanding democracy" or "domino effect" or whatever the Bush propagandic meme of the day is.

A civil war would create another Yugoslavia. In other words, the international community would have to occupy it with "peacekeepers" to keep the constant violence to a dull roar.

Right now, Lebanon is a democracy of sorts. After a civil war, it's doubtful that it would be.

geni
2nd March 2005, 01:13 PM
A civil war would create another Yugoslavia. In other words, the international community would have to occupy it with "peacekeepers" to keep the constant violence to a dull roar.

I'm having a hard time comeing up with the names of many parts of the international community that would be insane enough to be involved in that war.

Nyarlathotep
2nd March 2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Grammatron
Unless the hot chick has US and France behind her.

Then she has more than a smile and a flag. She has bigger guns, she's just got someone else holding them.

Cleopatra
2nd March 2005, 02:14 PM
Erm, 2-3?

I would agree with your sentiment, except instead of the word "times" I would use "orders of magnitude."

Lebanese women are proverbially gorgeous anyway although I don't know what makes you believe that the woman in the pic is an Arab ;). My husband's first wife was or Lebanese origin, she had a title like Miss Universe or something like that.

Lebanese people are very good looking but completely useless. Sorry I am biased against them.

geni
2nd March 2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Cleopatra
Lebanese people are very good looking but completely useless. Sorry I am biased against them.

On the basis that lebanon is a british construct I feel that bias is pretty stupid (hint there is really no such thing as Lebanese people).

Cleopatra
2nd March 2005, 02:39 PM
Every bias is stupid anyway but I get your point. ALL my Lebanese acquaintancies are in favor of the Syrian occupation. This makes them useless, at least in my book.

Beerina
2nd March 2005, 02:44 PM
You're checking out the fingers???

Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

Anyhoo, being of northern European descent, blondes are a dime a dozen, while the creamy white skin + black haired beauties of the middle east are smokin' hot to my jaded tastes.

Mycroft
2nd March 2005, 06:40 PM

I don't know, it's my experience that hot chicks tend to get what they want even when there are angry men with guns around. It might take a bit longer, but that's where I'd put my money.

Rob Lister
5th March 2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Mycroft
I don't know, it's my experience that hot chicks tend to get what they want even when there are angry men with guns around. It might take a bit longer, but that's where I'd put my money.

Good point. After viewing this photo...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050304/capt.akcf10203041917.mideast_lebanon_syria_akcf102 .jpg

I'm seriously thinging of becoming a mercenary.

Or at least a willing supporting protester.

Plus, I could show them the difference between my weapon and my gun. Ironically, both would be covered with the same material.

punchdrunk
7th March 2005, 06:39 AM
http://www.futurama-madhouse.com.ar/bios/bioZapp.jpg

"Kif, this is turning out to be one sexy revolution."

BPSCG
7th March 2005, 06:45 AM
I've been beating up on some of the lefties here (what fun!) over what should have been done to remove and replace Saddam Hussein, since invasion gave them heartburn.

A couple of them, by way of reply, asked, rhetorically, "Well, who's next, then? Who else are you going to invade? Is that your answer to everything?"

Well, how's this for Syria? No invasion involved. Hit them where it hurts - in their oil cash flow.

Link. (http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/wihbey200503030738.asp)