PDA

View Full Version : Political Chain Letter

Solitaire
21st July 2005, 05:58 PM
Not for one second do I believe a line of it.

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than five hundred employees and has the following statistics: It Must Be The NBA.

36 have been accused of spousal abuse,
7 have been arrested for fraud,
19 have been accused of writing bad checks,
117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses,
3 have done time for assault,
71... repeat... 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit,
14 have been arrested on drug-related charges,
8 have been arrested for shoplifting,
21 currently are defendants in lawsuits, and
84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year.

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet? . . . Scroll down, citizen.

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.

The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

You gotta pass this one on!

:(

The Fool
21st July 2005, 06:23 PM
..most of these sort of lists are completely bogus...there quite possibly have been member/s of congress who have done these things ...but they probably just pull the numbers from a hat?

Ryokan
21st July 2005, 06:50 PM
And if it's true, so what? Are politicians supposed to be supermen, or average joes like you and me?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone ;)

Ziggurat
21st July 2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Synchronicity
Not for one second do I believe a line of it.
71... repeat... 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit,

For me, this is the most obvious giveaway. That is not a statistic I believe, nor do I believe it any more after the "repeat".

Oh, and the pope beats his wife. There, now the pope has been accused of spousal abuse.

a_unique_person
21st July 2005, 08:37 PM
It would be nice if they could give some semblance of information to back up the bald assertions.

I'm surprised Teddy Kennedy didn't make it on that list.

When you hear about the hijinks that some of them get up to, though, there are some pretty weird people that get themselves elected. I think that a lot of people who want to get elected are doing it for weird motivations in the first place. My local state and federal representatives are very normal, boring people, who just try to help out their constituents. Hence, they will never get anywhere in politics, where you usually tend to have a bunch of semi sociopathic egomaniacs jostling for power.

a_unique_person
21st July 2005, 08:38 PM
snopes (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/congress.htm) has something on it.

And claims this (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/Aug1999/081699/criminalclass1-081699.htm) is the source of the 'facts' on the list.

epepke
21st July 2005, 09:19 PM
36 have been accused of spousal abuse,

While this list is amusing, if this is true, it would be about half the national average.

delphi_ote
21st July 2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Ziggurat
For me, this is the most obvious giveaway.

Yea... one phone call would take care of any congressman's problems getting credit.

TragicMonkey
21st July 2005, 11:23 PM
That list is too dull.

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than five hundred employees and has the following statistics: It Must Be The NBA.

361 have been accused of bigamy,
73 have been arrested for public defecation,
109 have been accused of writing Harry Potter slash fanfics,
317 have directly or indirectly burned down at least 2 businesses,
39 have done time for regicide,
471... repeat... 471 cannot get a credit card due to being declared legally dead,
145 have been arrested on homicide-related charges,
87 have been arrested for treason,
210 currently are defendants on Judge Judy, and
384 have been arrested for bestiality in the last year.

Can you guess which organization this is?

Give up yet? . . . Scroll down, citizen.

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.

The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

You gotta pass this one on!

Zep
22nd July 2005, 12:20 AM
26.3% of all statistics are bogus, of course.

BPSCG
22nd July 2005, 10:50 AM
71... repeat... 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit,You know this is bogus, because even my congressman, Jim Moran (http://www.capitolhillblue.com/Aug1999/081799/criminalclass2-081799.htm), can get credit, and on favorable terms, too.

Moran's never been arrested for assault, be he has been accused of it. And he's also been accused of spousal abuse.

Wotta guy.

http://moran.house.gov/images/moran-bio.jpg

mr rosewater
22nd July 2005, 10:57 AM
He's got that drinkers complexion, is he a democrat?

Should have checked the link, he is a democrat, sad.

BPSCG
22nd July 2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by mr rosewater
He's got that drinkers complexion, is he a democrat?

Should have checked the link, he is a democrat, sad. Washington Post columnist Marc Fisher did a flame-Moran column a year or so ago*, highlighting his well-documented abuses right after his most recent eruption. I emailed Fisher, asked if, in light of Moran's history of erratic behavior, he thought Moran had a drinking problem. Fisher's reply was along the lines of "hmmm, never thought of that, but it might explain a lot..."

* For the record, Moran is a rather-left of center congressman, and Fisher is a rather left-of-center columnist, so it's not like Fisher was doing a hatchet job on someone whose politics he didn't like.