PDA

View Full Version : The historic and original "Welcome new posters! Introduce yourselves here!" thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Darat
21st December 2005, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome.
I recently realised that I had basically confused people when I joined in October, if I were ever to post.
:blush:
Sorry about that! I did try to change it, but found it's not as easy as all that.

If you want to change your membership name just drop me a PM.

Marquis de Carabas
21st December 2005, 03:59 PM
We can change membership names now? I request "Darat's Daddy".

Ducky
21st December 2005, 04:01 PM
We can change membership names now? I request "Darat's Daddy".

Nah, just put that in your custom title.

Katachresis
21st December 2005, 04:15 PM
orange, nice choice. What does that say? Titanic Supperbell?

sistathinker
22nd December 2005, 09:17 PM
Guess this is where I say my official hello...

I'm here because I can't afford a Brunch with Teller, so coming to the TAM4 will have to satisfy me.

Let's see, I'm here because like-minded people are hard to find around this time of year, and I'm tired of people shoving their religion and mythology at me.

Reason rules!

Katachresis
22nd December 2005, 09:30 PM
Hello sista. I hope you don't mind me calling you sista, we try to be informal here.

Do you have any particular interests that brought you here?

Some arrive here with questions, others with answers. I'm just a bit curious.

Kiless
22nd December 2005, 09:33 PM
orange, nice choice. What does that say? Titanic Supperbell?

What? 'Supperbell'? And it's ORANGE?? :mad: I'M the colourful one here! Hey!! :p

tim
23rd December 2005, 12:04 AM

I'm here because I can't afford a Brunch with Teller, so coming to the TAM4 will have to satisfy me.

Let's see, I'm here because like-minded people are hard to find around this time of year, and I'm tired of people shoving their religion and mythology at me.

Reason rules!

A warm welcome. You will have more fun at TAM than you can shake a stick at!
If you see groups of people wandering around together, make yourself known! I think it's time we started a forum pictures thread so people will be able to recognise each other. (That's if nobody's already done so).

Katachresis
23rd December 2005, 08:06 AM
I think it's time we started a forum pictures thread so people will be able to recognise each other.

But I do know what you look like, by your avatar. ;)

Hutch
23rd December 2005, 10:45 AM

Welcome sistathinker to the Forum and be sure to post in the TAM4 sub-fora for "Who's coming to TAM4" so I (The Official Counter) can make sure you're mentioned.

Welcome and enjoy.

Outhere
23rd December 2005, 07:17 PM
My home, Missouri, has been called the Show Me state because of the skepticism of its citizens--apparently a misnomer. I need to speak my mind occasionally among people who share my views, or to have civilized disagreements with those who don't. Can we extend a little Agnostic charity toward one another?

Dogdoctor
25th December 2005, 08:08 PM
Welcome Outhere,
Speak your mind here, just make sure it follows the forum rules of conduct ;) Sounds like you found the right place.
:welcome3

Nucular
27th December 2005, 05:15 AM
Can we extend a little Agnostic charity toward one another?
Hmmm, don't know about that... ;)

Wilkommen, Outhere :)

Ducky
27th December 2005, 04:26 PM
What? 'Supperbell'? And it's ORANGE?? :mad: I'M the colourful one here! Hey!! :p

The evidence would show you are indeed more colorful than I - I only have orange, you, my dear, have a veritable orgy of colors in your title.

I therefore bow to your superior title.

Eric
27th December 2005, 05:02 PM
I was just accepted into the system here and am excited to exchange ideas. I was an excited reader of Skeptic magazine and will be again once I get a permanent housing situation. I am a young Acoustician and consider myself a scientific person. I am also Catholic however, but have never found any real conflicts between my religious and scientific pursuits.

So, although we probably don't agree on the finer points of some things, I hope we can have fruitful discussions nonetheless.

Oh, btw, I'm not an evangelist and my purpose for joining this board is to discuss science and not necessarily religion.

Thanks,

Eric

Ducky
27th December 2005, 05:06 PM
I was just accepted into the system here and am excited to exchange ideas. I was an excited reader of Skeptic magazine and will be again once I get a permanent housing situation. I am a young Acoustician and consider myself a scientific person. I am also Catholic however, but have never found any real conflicts between my religious and scientific pursuits.

So, although we probably don't agree on the finer points of some things, I hope we can have fruitful discussions nonetheless.

Oh, btw, I'm not an evangelist and my purpose for joining this board is to discuss science and not necessarily religion.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric! Welcome!!!!

Hope that housing situation gets solved quickly for you. Don't worry, we have many Christians on this forum who are not prosletyzing also. Kittynh is a wonderfully respected Chrsitian here, and a very good example of intelligent people such as yourself who can seperate religion from scientific thinking.

I look forward to your posts, and again, welcome :)

P.s. If you'd like to see the wrong way to bring faith to this forum, search for Kurious_kathy's posts...

tattooboy
27th December 2005, 06:35 PM
Well, let's see if I can figure this out. This forum is dissimilar to the other I frequent. Assuming I'm doing this correctly...

...hullo, all. I call myself tattooboy because I have many tattoos. It's also the name I use on another forum, and I'm too lazy to think of another. I am passionate about food, beer, video games, and science/ skepticism (not necessarily in that order). While I consider the supernatural to be great fun as a fictional element, I've never imagined it to be real. I could never bring myself to believe in a god, for instance. Seems sensible enough to me. Yet I'm surprised how many people think otherwise. I find it frightening that we live in a "demon-haunted world."
-tat2

T'ai Chi
27th December 2005, 07:29 PM
Hi tattooboy. I have had leanings towards God recently. Nice to meet you. I also have a tattoo, of Sherlock Holmes. What are yours of?

Nucular
27th December 2005, 08:13 PM
Hi Eric, tattooboy & statisticool, nice to meet all of you :)

a/s/l? (j/k)

You are all most welcome - God or no God, hopefully posters will be judged on the issue at hand rather than their stance on something unconnected. I'm always fascinated by our religious sceptics, and I particularly love the fact that on this board, disagreement on one level doesn't equate to disagreement on another: people on different paragraphs of the same page have the most interesting discussions.

People with tattoos are always wrong, though...

;)

Spidey13
27th December 2005, 08:55 PM
...hullo, all. I call myself tattooboy because I have many tattoos.

Welcome, tattooboy. I also have many tattoos. Well, if two counts as "many". :boggled:

Thanks,

Eric

Your purpose in joining is much nobler than mine, which is pretty much just to fart around. Welcome to the forum.

Ducky
27th December 2005, 08:56 PM
Welcome, tattooboy. I also have many tattoos. Well, if two counts as "many". :boggled:

Your purpose in joining is much nobler than mine, which is pretty much just to fart around. Welcome to the forum.

And by "fart around" spidey is describing his thought process.

Welcome tattoo!

Watch out for de-plane.

(I couldn't help it.)

Spidey13
27th December 2005, 08:57 PM
And by "fart around" spidey is describing his thought process.

Welcome tattoo!

Watch out for de-plane.

(I couldn't help it.)

Are you saying I think out of my @$$?

Ducky
27th December 2005, 09:03 PM
Are you saying I think out of my @$$?

Not directly. You didn't, say, accuse Elton John of totally ripping off REO Speedwagon, but still...

;)

Looselog
28th December 2005, 12:54 AM
Hi.

I hate people who believe a giant fusion reactor billions of miles away controls the course of their day.
I also have trouble understanding how JoJo and her Psychic alliance can somehow manage to predict my future over the phone but didn't do so good when the cops broke down their own door for tax evasion. Moreover, I wonder why anybody else believes in them.
I definitely don't respect people who think 9/11 and the Holocaust (to name two examples) didn't actually happen. I'm absolutely convinced that Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster hang around with Santa. If you see one of them, get back to me...the others can't be too far away.

Fear not though, I am not really so negative. You are all allowed to have your beliefs. Mostly because I can't do anything about it anyway but even if I could, I would rather I convinced you or you convinced me that one of us was wrong.

clarsct
28th December 2005, 01:01 AM
Welcome all.

Dig in and remember that we shred ideas here, not mollycoddle them.

AnotherSillyAlias
28th December 2005, 01:42 AM
Welcome all.

Dig in and remember that we shred ideas here, not mollycoddle them.

Damn! Where is the mollycoddling forum? Shredding is so damned painful!

clarsct
28th December 2005, 01:57 AM
Try any of the homeopathy forums.

I was just giving the newbies a warning...;)

osamah
28th December 2005, 12:28 PM
religion and state should by all means be seperate.i myself am a muslim, and i dont think being that contradicts what i said in my first sentence. it is obvious that in our world today we cant have a state religion, hereby meaning that the state require that all its citizens should follow the state religion. what kind of a world would that be? imagine that all the religions in the world should also have a state. then we couldn't live in a multireligious society.

AnotherSillyAlias
28th December 2005, 02:41 PM
religion and state should by all means be seperate.i myself am a muslim, and i dont think being that contradicts what i said in my first sentence. it is obvious that in our world today we cant have a state religion, hereby meaning that the state require that all its citizens should follow the state religion. what kind of a world would that be? imagine that all the religions in the world should also have a state. then we couldn't live in a multireligious society.

What you would have is unceasing world wars until a couple of them developed weapons powerful enough and then they'd destroy all life on Earth.

(For the glory of god, of course!)

tim
28th December 2005, 03:03 PM

Welcome, Osamah.
I , like many of us here, am an atheist. We have quite a few religous people of various persuasions here and all are welcome. I would like to stress we are not all atheists - there is no problem believing in god and science at the same time.
I personally believe the state and religion should be two very, very different things. When the line between the blurs is when problems occur.

tattooboy
28th December 2005, 03:08 PM
Hi tattooboy. I have had leanings towards God recently. Nice to meet you. I also have a tattoo, of Sherlock Holmes. What are yours of?

Sherlock Holmes? That's very cool! I like that. Sounds original, and I strive for orginality as well. I also like it because Holmes represents logic and reason.
All my tattoos are custom. Most of mine are either comicbook characters (alternative stuff, not superheros) or video game characters or designs. Silly little things, really, but they're very colorful, and they amuse me.

Nucular wrote:
"People with tattoos are always wrong, though..."

*shakes fist*

:p

Spidey13
28th December 2005, 03:16 PM
Sherlock Holmes? That's very cool! I like that. Sounds original, and I strive for orginality as well. I also like it because Holmes represents logic and reason.
All my tattoos are custom. Most of mine are either comicbook characters (alternative stuff, not superheros) or video game characters or designs. Silly little things, really, but they're very colorful, and they amuse me.

Nucular wrote:
"People with tattoos are always wrong, though..."

*shakes fist*

:p

Comic book based tattoos rock! I have Spider-Man on my left arm (yep, superhero) and the bloody clock from Watcmen on my right. What are yours?

Dogdoctor
28th December 2005, 03:26 PM
Welcome tattoo!

Watch out for de-plane.

You have to use the right accent
De Plane! De plane!
Welcome to Fantasy Island ...... Umm no wait.................. Welcome to the JREF forum.

Welcome tattooboy, statisticool and osamah.
:welcome4

tattooboy
28th December 2005, 07:48 PM
You have to use the right accent
De Plane! De plane!
Welcome to Fantasy Island ...... Umm no wait.................. Welcome to the JREF forum.

Welcome tattooboy, statisticool and osamah.

Thank you for the warm welcome. What kind of dog doctor are you anyhow? Funny thing is, I just heard this bell, and now I'm salivating...

Spidey, you've got the Watchmen smiley? LOL That was a great series. I loved Alan Moore's From Hell as well.
My tattoos...well, I've got several Jim Woodring characters on me, as well as Mike Mignola's, if you're at all familiar with those artists.

Spidey13
28th December 2005, 08:16 PM
Spidey, you've got the Watchmen smiley? LOL That was a great series. I loved Alan Moore's From Hell as well.
My tattoos...well, I've got several Jim Woodring characters on me, as well as Mike Mignola's, if you're at all familiar with those artists.

No, not the smiley. The clock, taken from page 1 of issue 12. You know, clock striking midnight with blood running down it. I thought about the smiley but decided I didn't want a frickin smiley face on my arm. From Hell is awesome, too, but no good tattoo ideas in it.

I don't know any Jim Woodring. The only Mignola I know is Hellboy. I'm a little more mainstream, I guess.

Roadtoad
28th December 2005, 08:34 PM
Welcome, Osamah.
I , like many of us here, am an atheist. We have quite a few religous people of various persuasions here and all are welcome. I would like to stress we are not all atheists - there is no problem believing in god and science at the same time.
I personally believe the state and religion should be two very, very different things. When the line between the blurs is when problems occur.

I'll add my welcome, too.

Regardless of how you feel about religion in society, it's been pretty much established that governments are at their worst once they get the "fear of God," mainly because they forget they damned well ought to fear the people, first.

In other words, What da Wombat sez!

William Kellar
29th December 2005, 11:19 AM
My fake name is William Kellar. Saw the CNN’ Larry King Live show last night and was livid over the grand claims of these mediums. I mean dispensing medical advice, consoling inconsolable parents with pipe dreams and promises of a sustain connection with a died love one. Even if it’s only through one of these greasy psychics (I can only assume for a fair price). How can anyone claim that with there gift of spiritual intuitiveness they can solve missing persons reports or crimes? Well I guess I already know the answer to that, readers only need their gift and full access to all the evidence and complete police assistance. But, isn’t that called detective work? How can anyone claim divine powers and have a failure rate? Why, is it that your mom’s sister’s boyfriend’s video store clerk who name astonishingly starts with P or D--who also died for days ago-- tell the medium that he likes my new suit? Why, is Larry King having top forensic pathologists on his show tomorrow when you have three people who claim to solve crimes with energy that lives in a third dimension? Or something to that effect.

I’m not into the blind faith thing. Just, because someone believes that James Van Praagh couldn’t know that their mother maiden name was Walsh or that they carry a special card in their purse, it doesn’t mean the producers of James Van Praagh’s show didn’t know when they glimpsed at it while she rooted through her purse to write that check. I mean, I can see hundreds different ways I can get information on someone. Give me a staff of six to most of the leg work and some time, I’ll tell you all about your dead uncle for a small price.

I like this site, it doesn’t give leeway to people who through conventions and maybe good intentions prey on people who are in no state to hear that your dead child forgives them. I mean don’t you need background information on people, need to know medical history or something, before you start helping them work through the anguish. It’s like taking a person to the top of a mountain showing them God and then pushing them off the edged.
I like the idea of taking people to task, asking the hard questions. Good job!

Mattfn
29th December 2005, 03:09 PM
Found this place probably around the beginning of 2003 and have lurked ever since, feeling comfortable. Been trying to get to TAM since the beginning.

I suppose it's true to say I can't stand people who don't think, especially those who keep insisting on advertising the fact. I do believe in God, but I'll help you tear apart organized religion anytime you like.....I believe I hold The First Church of Buster and the Spagetti Monster in higher esteem than the vast majority of them. I look at the world and the voice in my head (ok, just the loudest one), inevitably always asks, "Ok, so how can that be?" and the mind takes off from there. I know I'll enjoy myself here.

One of my favorite things is there are folks on here that point these things out to those that can make a difference in changing the erroneous thinking we all see everyday. I've tried to do it. It's not easy to keep slugging away and many here do. Kudos.

Mattfn :moose:

Ducky
29th December 2005, 03:16 PM
My fake name is William Kellar. Saw the CNN’ Larry King Live show last night and was livid over the grand claims of these mediums. I mean dispensing medical advice, consoling inconsolable parents with pipe dreams and promises of a sustain connection with a died love one. Even if it’s only through one of these greasy psychics (I can only assume for a fair price). How can anyone claim that with there gift of spiritual intuitiveness they can solve missing persons reports or crimes? Well I guess I already know the answer to that, readers only need their gift and full access to all the evidence and complete police assistance. But, isn’t that called detective work? How can anyone claim divine powers and have a failure rate? Why, is it that your mom’s sister’s boyfriend’s video store clerk who name astonishingly starts with P or D--who also died for days ago-- tell the medium that he likes my new suit? Why, is Larry King having top forensic pathologists on his show tomorrow when you have three people who claim to solve crimes with energy that lives in a third dimension? Or something to that effect.

I’m not into the blind faith thing. Just, because someone believes that James Van Praagh couldn’t know that their mother maiden name was Walsh or that they carry a special card in their purse, it doesn’t mean the producers of James Van Praagh’s show didn’t know when they glimpsed at it while she rooted through her purse to write that check. I mean, I can see hundreds different ways I can get information on someone. Give me a staff of six to most of the leg work and some time, I’ll tell you all about your dead uncle for a small price.

I like this site, it doesn’t give leeway to people who through conventions and maybe good intentions prey on people who are in no state to hear that your dead child forgives them. I mean don’t you need background information on people, need to know medical history or something, before you start helping them work through the anguish. It’s like taking a person to the top of a mountain showing them God and then pushing them off the edged.
I like the idea of taking people to task, asking the hard questions. Good job!

A hearty welcome!!!

I think you will enjoy the thread in SCience and Medicine called "Doing the least to save your life."

(shamless self promotion notwithstanding...)

Ducky
29th December 2005, 03:17 PM
Found this place probably around the beginning of 2003 and have lurked ever since, feeling comfortable. Been trying to get to TAM since the beginning.

I suppose it's true to say I can't stand people who don't think, especially those who keep insisting on advertising the fact. I do believe in God, but I'll help you tear apart organized religion anytime you like.....I believe I hold The First Church of Buster and the Spagetti Monster in higher esteem than the vast majority of them. I look at the world and the voice in my head (ok, just the loudest one), inevitably always asks, "Ok, so how can that be?" and the mind takes off from there. I know I'll enjoy myself here.

One of my favorite things is there are folks on here that point these things out to those that can make a difference in changing the erroneous thinking we all see everyday. I've tried to do it. It's not easy to keep slugging away and many here do. Kudos.

Mattfn :moose:

Hey matt! Welcome!

Thing
29th December 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi, new poster here, what can I tell you? After lurking for a while I registered on 25/12/05 as it seemed like a good day to do so. I live in the UK and have a tech/academia job. I had thought about going to TAM but the imminent birth of our first child indicated that now is not a good time to do so, so I'll make do with the forum. I expect to have a lot less surfing time in the near future so don't be surprised if I stay quiet.

Edited to correct a mispelling on my very first post! Eeesh!

Ducky
29th December 2005, 06:45 PM
Hi, new poster here, what can I tell you? After lurking for a while I registered on 25/12/05 as it seemed like a good day to do so. I live in the UK and have a tech/academia job. I had thought about going to TAM but the imminent birth of our first child indicated that now is now a good time to do so, so I'll make do with the forum. I expect to have a lot less surfing time in the near future so don't be surprised if I stay quiet.

WELCOME!!!

Congrats on the spawn. :)

texino
29th December 2005, 09:21 PM
I am Texino in Panama and formerly in the prize ring of boxing.
For now an occasional employment with ACP is my work (make ships go up in the lock). I most enjoy James Randi and his challenge. I know something of Voo Doo and Santeria but I am not mysterious myself. My opinion from almost 60 years is that is fine for the mind to run in free investigation so long as feet are firmly planted, and also to be careful not to fall victim to the influence of any organization that has all the answers for you. As said before my syntax in English is flawed, but I will not bother people very often unless asked.
Thank You, Texino

Dogdoctor
29th December 2005, 10:19 PM
Welcome texino,
Your english sounds good enough for me. Hopefully see you elsewhere with questions or answers.

fyslee
30th December 2005, 08:26 AM
Personal Details

:) "Fyslee" - aka Paul Lee, PT - is a Physical Therapist and skeptic:

*Sex: Male, hetero
*Family: wife, son, daughter
*Pets: one Collie, one Danish-Swedish Farmdog, three cats
*Email address: sitemaster AT quackfiles DOT com

:) Philosophy and Religion

I confess to being a skeptic (I have a naturalistic world view) (http://www.the-brights.net/movement/bulletin/bulletin.html?b=25) who is concerned about healthcare consumer protection, and therefore about quackery, healthfraud, chiroquackery, and other forms of so-Called "Alternative" Medicine (sCAM (http://www.skepticwiki.org/wiki/index.php/SCAM)).

I was brought up in an extremely conservative Seventh-Day Adventist protestant home. My progression to skepticism is touched on in my website bio (link below).

:) Biographies:

*Website bio page (http://www.geocities.com/healthbase/about_paul_lee.html)
*Blogger profile (http://www.blogger.com/profile/3848119)
*Wiki profile (http://www.skepticwiki.org/wiki/index.php/User:Fyslee)

:) Special Interests

Anti-quackery activism, chiroquackery, homeopathy, websites, blogs, discussion lists, Physical therapy, etc.

:) Some of my cyber interests and responsibilities

*The Quack-Files (http://www.quackfiles.com/) - Main website
*Confessions of a Quackbuster (http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/) - Main blog
*The Saul Green Files (http://saulgreen.blogspot.com/) - Webmaster
*Healthfraud Discussion List (http://www.quackwatch.org/00AboutQuackwatch/discuss.html) - Assistant Listmaster
*ChiroLinks (http://chirolinks.quackfiles.com) - Webmaster
*Chiropractic Index (http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2006/12/chiropractic-index-to-all-entries-here.html) - Webmaster
*Chirotalk (http://chirotalk.proboards3.com/index.cgi) - Administrator
*Physiotalk (http://physiotalk.ca/index.php?act=idx) - Super Moderator
*Anti-Quackery Ring (http://g.webring.com/hub?ring=antiquackerysite) - Ringmaster and founder
*Skeptic Ring (http://l.webring.com/hub?ring=skeptic) - Ringmaster
*Eva Cassidy: Legendary Singer (http://evacassidy.blogspot.com/) - Webmaster
*The Art of Elfred Lee (http://www.geocities.com/elfred_lee/) - Webmaster
*Fyslee (http://www.skepticwiki.org/wiki/index.php/User:Fyslee) - Wiki User name

I hope to be able to contribute here as time permits. (I treat patients the other ten hours of the day :D )!

Regards,

Paul Lee, PT

:confused: BTW, when am I going to be allowed to make a sig line and get an avatar? :confused:

insomneac
30th December 2005, 08:51 AM
Welcome to forum, Paul. You can get an avatar after 50 posts.

DJ Hexadecibel
30th December 2005, 11:14 AM
Well, I have a registered account, but I seem to be missing from the whitelist. Anything I can do about that?

DJ Hexadecibel
30th December 2005, 11:24 AM
'Allo, all! Discovered this site after checking out P&T's BS! A practicing pagan, I enjoy puppetry, theatre, film, humour, etc. etc. I'm happy to be a part of this community, and look forward to stimulating conversations with my fellow humans!

Roadtoad
30th December 2005, 12:21 PM
'Allo, all! Discovered this site after checking out P&T's BS! A practicing pagan, I enjoy puppetry, theatre, film, humour, etc. etc. I'm happy to be a part of this community, and look forward to stimulating conversations with my fellow humans!

A practicing pagan?

You mean, you still haven't gotten it right, yet?

DJ Hexadecibel
30th December 2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, you know those incantations can just get tangled up on your tongue, you know? But I'll be fantastic once I go pro in a few years!

DJ Hexadecibel
30th December 2005, 01:07 PM
Hey all. Found a blog with an interesting entry on a secular society at whatgloryapen.blogspot. com. Seems like a secular society would be more reasonable at least. Think a secular society could profit? What do you think?

fyslee
30th December 2005, 01:17 PM
Welcome to forum, Paul. You can get an avatar after 50 posts.
Thanks for the welcome!

Where did you find this information about "50 posts"? Do you have a URL for me?

I thought that the "15 posts before being allowed to use links" thing was bad enough! You mean it actually gets worse before (in the distant future) getting better?

I hope that there are human moderators here who can read this. There is such a thing as "good will", and then there is the opposite...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

As a moderator for a number of large lists, and participant in even more, I've NEVER encountered such a rule before, at least not such a large number.

If there is any control at all - which can be necessary at times - the moderators simply place newbies on a watch list and manually approve them after a few posts, just enough to make sure they aren't trolls or nutcases.

A list needs to be easy to use, and participating with one hand tied behind my back really cramps my style!

Frustratedly,

Paul

kmortis
30th December 2005, 01:26 PM
Paul,
C'mon over here and boost your count. (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1350433#post1350433)

tim
30th December 2005, 01:27 PM
A very warm welcome to all our new posters. Please dive in there and get involved. If anyone slaps you down, ask yourself why, then do your research and come back with a good answer, quoting sources. This is what this forum is all about - using your brains to solve problems.
Thing - Hi, another Englishman! There are quite a lot of us here and occasionally we get get together. Let me know whereabouts you are and I'll see if anyone lives nearby.
fyslee - We have a number of folk from Denmark, including the evil Viking CFLarsen and Danish Dynamite. We hold Danes in high regard!
texino - I think you may be our first forum member from Panama - Welcome!
DJ Hexadecibel - Wow, a mouthful! DJH, P & T - what can I say? Clever folk and nice to talk to. If you get to TAM you will see them there and meet them. And James Randi and the rest. If you can get to TAM, go. I promise you it will change your life. There are other people out there who think like you do!
Welcome to you all!

tim
30th December 2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Where did you find this information about "50 posts"? Do you have a URL for me?

I thought that the "15 posts before being allowed to use links" thing was bad enough! You mean it actually gets worse before (in the distant future) getting better?

I hope that there are human moderators here who can read this. There is such a thing as "good will", and then there is the opposite...... :mad: :mad: :mad:

As a moderator for a number of large lists, and participant in even more, I've NEVER encountered such a rule before, at least not such a large number.

If there is any control at all - which can be necessary at times - the moderators simply place newbies on a watch list and manually approve them after a few posts, just enough to make sure they aren't trolls or nutcases.

A list needs to be easy to use, and participating with one hand tied behind my back really cramps my style!

Frustratedly,

Paul

Paul, see if you can get an avatar up through user cp. When Lynn, my wife joined up in September shre got an avatar right away. Check it out.

fyslee
30th December 2005, 01:50 PM
Paul, see if you can get an avatar up through user cp. When Lynn, my wife joined up in September shre got an avatar right away. Check it out.
I've been trying since about five minutes after joining. No luck yet.

insomneac
30th December 2005, 01:56 PM

Didn't you use your sooper sekrit mod powers to speed things along for her?

tim
30th December 2005, 03:24 PM
Didn't you use your sooper sekrit mod powers to speed things along for her?

Er, no. Otherwise they wouldn't be sooper-sekrit, would they? Doh! Why do I have to explain this stuff?
Sorry, fyslee ..... erm, patience is a virtue?

fyslee
30th December 2005, 06:21 PM
Sorry, fyslee ..... erm, patience is a virtue?
Indeed, but among friends it shouldn't be necessary. Moderators should be doing this job. Instead the software is allowed to treat all as potential terrorists, to be kept in isolation with one hand tied behind their backs. Being treated as guilty until proven otherwise.

Simon Bridge
31st December 2005, 12:42 AM
Greetings and salutations and all that guff;
Here's where I introduce myself and generally rack up posts early on... so here goes...

I am a retired Physicist. I have just moved from a cottage in a valley in a tropical rainforest to a large and somewhat more luxurious house on top of a cliff (but well back - not being totally silly), in New Zealand. I share this space with my Wife, child (2.5) and three (count em) cats. The cats are quite good about this and I occasionally get to sleep all night in a bed.

I've doing the paranormal investigaton thing formally since I was about 15 or so... I was a complete believer in psychic powers and UFOs=extra-terrestrials and astrology and so on. I set out to find some paranormal stuff - quickly found I didn't have any myself - and opened up a whole new world of really strange people.

My first was testing my freind who felt he could dowse water pipes - but he couldn't. Since he couldn't do better than guessing for water in a hosepipe, but seemed pretty good at finding old water mains, I thought I'd investigate some more... I found it was actually pretty easy to guess the lay of a house water supply - the main runs along the road and the pipe should be a short one so noone had to dig too hard. Even where the line was funny, there was usually a slight depression right over the pipe which made me dip a bit and the rod swung. This was fun - if dissapointing.

Next was a guy who stored his food in a pyramid in his back yard - claiming all kinds of powers. No luck there but found out heaps about pyramids in the process.

After that I was like the kid in the joke: presented with a pile of horse manure - asks for a shovel... there's gotta be a pony in there somewhere! I kept looking.

Some decades later - I'm still looking. However, these days I don't expect to find anything and I've worked up a solid ine of philosophy to show people why not.

I've been a working scientist - freelance and academic - and a teacher from early childhood right through to senior undergraduate university.

Most recently I had a little trouble with a pharmacist (degree and all) suggesting I try a homeopathic remedy for hayfever. I pointed out that the stuff tests as good as a placebo and got the reply: depends on the test. So I told her what the remidy was (onion juice) and how far it was diluted (about a zillion times) and asked her directly for her proffessional opinion. Still waiting.

There is, I think, this problem with science: it isn't very pursuasive.

Eos of the Eons
31st December 2005, 12:47 AM
Indeed, but among friends it shouldn't be necessary. Moderators should be doing this job. Instead the software is allowed to treat all as potential terrorists, to be kept in isolation with one hand tied behind their backs. Being treated as guilty until proven otherwise.
:D Happy New Year Paul.

Yeah, you are the one guy who should get all posting priveledges considering all the work you do, and due to the fact that I worship you and you let me me be a part of your webring and all. Maybe if I can get Randi to think I really DO want his body...ah, by that time you'll have your 50 posts...I haven't incriminated myself yet have I...maybe I better shut up...what skeptic actually worships anything...maybe I worship too many...

Really though. You're one heck of a quackbuster. If I was a mod!

Eos of the Eons
31st December 2005, 12:54 AM
Greetings and salutations and all that guff;
Here's where I introduce myself and generally rack up posts early on... so here goes...

I am a retired Physicist. I have just moved from a cottage in a valley in a tropical rainforest to a large and somewhat more luxurious house on top of a cliff (but well back - not being totally silly), in New Zealand. I share this space with my Wife, child (2.5) and three (count em) cats. The cats are quite good about this and I occasionally get to sleep all night in a bed.

I've been a working scientist - freelance and academic - and a teacher from early childhood right through to senior undergraduate university.

Most recently I had a little trouble with a pharmacist (degree and all) suggesting I try a homeopathic remedy for hayfever. I pointed out that the stuff tests as good as a placebo and got the reply: depends on the test. So I told her what the remidy was (onion juice) and how far it was diluted (about a zillion times) and asked her directly for her proffessional opinion. Still waiting.

There is, I think, this problem with science: it isn't very pursuasive.

Whoa, and a huge mighty welcome. New Zealand, color me green with envy!

Science isn't meant to be persuasive on its own. Scientists are not taught to be persuasive. They follow the method, discuss results, keep things quite technical.

How do you reach a layperson with such jargons and "must do further research. You'll find people want absolutes, and quacks will give it to them. They figure science is so uncertain.

We are just discovering how to reach out, and fumbling at the moment. We could learn a bit from the quacks, they really know how to captivate and convince with crap. One would think scientists could learn to do the same with facts.

If we can get a scientist to learn to do that...

Come on in, teach and learn.

fyslee
31st December 2005, 01:27 AM
:D Happy New Year Paul.

Yeah, you are the one guy who should get all posting priveledges considering all the work you do, and due to the fact that I worship you and you let me me be a part of your webring and all. Maybe if I can get Randi to think I really DO want his body...ah, by that time you'll have your 50 posts...I haven't incriminated myself yet have I...maybe I better shut up...what skeptic actually worships anything...maybe I worship too many...

Really though. You're one heck of a quackbuster. If I was a mod!
:blush: Dear T***a, you are too kind. Why not put some pictures of yourself on your "blondes" page?!

Speaking of the Skeptic Ring and Anti-Quackery Ring, Randi isn't a member! I have repeatedly invited the JREF to join, but no response. Of all the websites that deal with skepticism and anti-quackery efforts, this is a major one and should be showing some solidarity with all the others who are out there struggling against idiocy, ignorance, fraud, etc. But no. This one stays out of the rings for some unknown reason. I just don't get it.

These two urls should both be members of both rings:

http://www.randi.org/
http://forums.randi.org/

Skeptic Ring - http://l.webring.com/hub?ring=skeptic
Anti-Quackery Ring - http://g.webring.com/hub?ring=antiquackerysite

I wish you and yours a very happy new year.

Regards,

Paul Lee

The Quack-Files - http://www.quackfiles.com
--- Google: "The Quack-Files" - http://tinyurl.com/c0j6
Confessions of a Quackbuster - http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/
The Saul Green Files - http://saulgreen.blogspot.com/
Healthfraud Discussion List - http://www.quackwatch.org/00AboutQuackwatch/discuss.html
ChiroLinks - http://chirolinks.quackfiles.com
Chiropractic Index - http://quackfiles.blogspot.com/2006/12/chiropractic-index-to-all-entries-here.html
Chirotalk - http://chirotalk.proboards3.com/index.cgi
Physiotalk - http://physiotalk.ca/index.php?act=idx
Eva Cassidy: Legendary Singer - http://evacassidy.blogspot.com/
The Art of Elfred Lee - http://www.geocities.com/elfred_lee/

Simon Bridge
31st December 2005, 01:34 AM
Whoa, and a huge mighty welcome. New Zealand, color me green with envy! A little out of the way however. It is interesting trying to do Physics in a country considered borderline-unfreindly by the pentagon.
Science isn't meant to be persuasive on its own. Scientists are not taught to be persuasive. They follow the method, discuss results, keep things quite technical. Being a scientist, and teacher of scientists, myself, I beg to differ slightly there. You won't get anywhere following set stuff - mostly what you do is try to put yourself in the path of a really cool idea and backtrack. Even stupid ideas can be useful - like what would happen if gravity wasn't exactly an inverse square law? What if it was inverse power of 1.99999? Or something like that.
How do you reach a layperson with such jargons and "must do further research. Well - for a while, that was my job :) For those of you in high-school, take comfort - adults find this stuff much harder.

Anyway - it's possible. Mostly you have to be one-on-one. And you have to do some artful lying and letting yourself get found out too. Mostly it's a philosophical problem about how to reliably gain knowledge. Get the philosophy going and most students will produce Popper without much guidance.
You'll find people want absolutes, and quacks will give it to them. They figure science is so uncertain.Or a "negative" process.

We are just discovering how to reach out, and fumbling at the moment. We could learn a bit from the quacks, they really know how to captivate and convince with crap. One would think scientists could learn to do the same with facts. I understand there is a prog on Discovery? Mythbusters?

Soapy Sam
31st December 2005, 06:54 AM
Welcome Simon- There are a few Aussies here, but I've been wondering where all the Kiwis were.
(Out having fun would be my guess).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++

Fyslee- hello and welcome- The following is my opinion only. Nobody on this forum is able to speak for JREF, except on some matters of forum admin and moderation and I'm not one of those.
In short. Always keep in mind the difference between JREF and the JREF forum. They are quite different entities, which Internet shorthand sometimes conflate and confuse.

Randi himself does not post on the forum and I doubt he ever has time to read it. He knows little of web boards and cares less. His interest is with JREF itself.
Forum policy and rules are set to minimise potential harm to JREF., (as perceived by Randi), not to optimise the forum.
That some decisions are less than optimal from the forum POV is generally well understood.

Randi knows he's ignorant about the internet. When he's wrong due to that ignorance, he wants to err on the safe side from the JREF standpoint. He would far rather axe the forum than allow it to harm his life work. I can't fault him for that. So this will never be the most cutting edge of the sceptical boards.

The mods work voluntarily under those constraints, which can be pretty hard to explain- and get little thanks for it from us.

I advise getting the feel of the forum , and reading some past discussions on this stuff, before making suggestions about improving it. If you have suggestions, pass them to Darat or Jeff Wagg, but bear in mind that such improvements will be viewed from the POV of JREF not of the forum, so be prepared for responses which may seem odd from the POV of a board admin.

Eos of the Eons
31st December 2005, 12:55 PM
:) Thanks for the clarification Soapy, I remember folks googling some topic for Randi at TAM last January.

Nancarrow
1st January 2006, 07:10 AM
Hello all. I signed up a few days ago but thought today would be a cool day to introduce myself. Happy New Year and all that jazz.

I don't know what to say about myself, so I'll tell y'all what I got for Christmas and my birthday:

-The three volume Dover edition of Euclid's "Elements"
-"Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms" by David Mackay - it's a tidy-up/extension of his lecture course that I took four years ago.
- "The John Adams Earbox", a 10-cd retrospective box set of that composer's music
- an Olympus D545 digital camera, my first of the 'digital' variety
- Chandrasekhar's "Newton's Principia for the Common Reader"
- Two Iain M Banks novels (to finish off my collection) and Arthur C Clarke, "The City and the Stars"
- The Howard Marks "Book of Dope Stories"
- a phat cheque with which I'll either buy yet another book, or the complete set of "Family Guy" on DVD. Advice welcome!

This is me: :D :D :D

Nancarrow
1st January 2006, 07:11 AM
Oh I should mention. Today is my birthday!

Simon Bridge
1st January 2006, 06:24 PM
Nancarrow: happy birthday :)

... old old old ... out of date and wrong :) but good for those bouts of insomnia, almost as good as german philosophy for getting you off to sleep.

-"Information Theory, Inference and Learning Algorithms" by David Mackay - it's a tidy-up/extension of his lecture course that I took four years ago.
... ah well, if you're a fan of the lecturer. Where these gifts from someone who loves you or did you get them yourself?

- "The John Adams Earbox", a 10-cd retrospective box set of that composer's music
... arrrgh!

... oh well, all right. If it has a ppp setting you can use it with gphoto.

... Principia Mathematica is an intreguing read. Note: Newton had calculus, and used it in his research, but he didn't use it to prove anything. He used geometric proofs all the time. You good with triangles?

- Two Iain M Banks novels (to finish off my collection) and Arthur C Clarke, "The City and the Stars"
... can't stand that Banks person. I find the stories predicatble and shallow. But each to his own right?

... never heard of it, sounds keen.

- a phat cheque with which I'll either buy yet another book, or the complete set of "Family Guy" on DVD.
... Family Guy.

Simon Bridge
1st January 2006, 06:27 PM
Soapy Sam wrote:Welcome Simon- There are a few Aussies here, but I've been wondering where all the Kiwis were.
(Out having fun would be my guess).I suspect they are all "here obviously" with you :) But just for fun, I'm no Kiwi - I just live here :)

My mailaddress is:

Megadodo Publications
Megadodo House
Ursa Minor

... or - consult your pineal gland.

Simon Bridge
1st January 2006, 06:30 PM
Skeptisism isn't all that big in NZ. This is a place where "science" is a dirty word. If I declair skepticism, I am not taken seriously... skeptic == wrong? Usually I claim something else and start with an emotional argument.

BoogieWoogieWookie
1st January 2006, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=tim;1350465]This is what this forum is all about - using your brains to solve problems.
QUOTE]

Darn! Guess that leaves me out.

Greetings to all. I've been reading this site and these forums for years. Greatest site on the net.

Not much to say about me - I'm a simple guy.

Age - 56 3 grandkids still got all my hair, grey though.

6' 240 lbs (not skinny, thats for sure)

Job title: Professor. Probably the dumbest one in the country, but I've gotten away with it for 30 years now.

Also perform with a rock band two or three nights a week. (so don't call me an old timer!)

Don't know if my lazy arse will post very much, but at least I got the first one in.

insomneac
1st January 2006, 09:41 PM
Good to have you here, Dr. D.
Your credentials may not be the most impressive, but as long as Behe, Mack, and their ilk remain in academia, it's safe to assume you are not the dumbest professor in the US.

creddy
1st January 2006, 09:52 PM
Just joined the forums a week or so ago. Haltse and I will be attending TAM4 and I'm quite looking forward to the PJ party and possibly the Chocolate Challenge but if I'm reading the posts right, I dont think I'm up to corsets and fishnet stockings.

tim
2nd January 2006, 03:36 AM
Just joined the forums a week or so ago. Haltse and I will be attending TAM4 and I'm quite looking forward to the PJ party and possibly the Chocolate Challenge but if I'm reading the posts right, I dont think I'm up to corsets and fishnet stockings.
And why not?
Welcome. You should have the time of your life at TAM. Post your picture here or look for a piture thread in the TAM area - the Stardust is a BIG hotel, and you need to make contact with fellow forumites early!
Have a great time - and welcome to the forum!

chasing23
2nd January 2006, 08:31 PM
This post is to announce my intent to join in forum participation. Even though some of the discussions I'll begin or engage in will be enriching, the harrassement I'll recieve from some of the forum members will be too vexing to justify discontinuing participation. When I ask myself if participating is, on balance, a benifit to my life, the answer is clear: It most definately is.

All kidding aside.

How the hell did I get here? (How should I attempt to answer that?) Is it that I have been looking at Skeptic Magazine off and on for a few years now? Is it that I follow Penn and Teller? The Mythbusters? And SciFi's GhostHunters? :) Or is it that a man was inside a woman for a few moments of time? Though I can say that the tipping mesure was that of my knowledge of and conversations with Fowlsound. Please don't judge either of us from that statement though; though if you did would you get a correct impression?

As who I may or may not be that important. Employed as a UNIX Administrator for a large e-commerce company. If you have bought software on-line I am almost sure that part of it was bought from out company. I have a house, a wife, an 80 percent chance of having a daughter in 10 weeks and a couple of years until I stumble across my thirties.

Jeff Wagg
2nd January 2006, 09:00 PM
Oh, you're going to be fun. :)

Welcome.

This post is to announce my intent to join in forum participation. Even though some of the discussions I'll begin or engage in will be enriching, the harrassement I'll recieve from some of the forum members will be too vexing to justify discontinuing participation. When I ask myself if participating is, on balance, a benifit to my life, the answer is clear: It most definately is.

All kidding aside.

How the hell did I get here? (How should I attempt to answer that?) Is it that I have been looking at Skeptic Magazine off and on for a few years now? Is it that I follow Penn and Teller? The Mythbusters? And SciFi's GhostHunters? :) Or is it that a man was inside a woman for a few moments of time? Though I can say that the tipping mesure was that of my knowledge of and conversations with Fowlsound. Please don't judge either of us from that statement though; though if you did would you get a correct impression?

As who I may or may not be that important. Employed as a UNIX Administrator for a large e-commerce company. If you have bought software on-line I am almost sure that part of it was bought from out company. I have a house, a wife, an 80 percent chance of having a daughter in 10 weeks and a couple of years until I stumble across my thirties.

Terry
2nd January 2006, 09:03 PM
:welcome3

Hi chasing23!

Nancarrow
3rd January 2006, 03:40 PM
Nancarrow: happy birthday :)

Thankyou!

... old old old ... out of date and wrong :) but good for those bouts of insomnia, almost as good as german philosophy for getting you off to sleep.

Well I know it's old, that's the main reason I got it! But 'out of date and wrong'...? Do you mean there is something wrong with that particular edition, or are you referring to the gaps in the axiomatic reasoning that (so I am told) were identified and plugged in the 1800s? Or did you just mean that, since Einstein, flat 3-space has become so last-years-colours?

Where these gifts from someone who loves you or did you get them yourself?

They were from an extensive list I provided to my relatives.

- "The John Adams Earbox"... arrrgh!

Hmm, I thought it was illegal not to like John Adams. Oh my bad, I was thinking of my rule-the-world fantasy...

Buh?

... Principia Mathematica is an intreguing read. Note: Newton had calculus, and used it in his research, but he didn't use it to prove anything. He used geometric proofs all the time. You good with triangles?

Yes I'm aware of this! In fact I got the Motte/Cajori edition a few years back (also as an xmas present... what can I say I'm just a party animal!) and found it too tough going, hence my desire to get the annotated version. I can't say I'm looking forward to all those diagrams with twenty letters on them, but I've already noticed the commentaries have lots of differentials in them, so I'm hoping for the best!

... can't stand that Banks person. I find the stories predicatble and shallow.

Surely you can't mean that about the SF novels?! Having said that I've read none of his non-SF stuff except The Wasp Factory which I greatly disliked, so I have no intention of pursuing that branch. But his SF is inventive, mind-bending and dark-humoured and I luuurve it. So there.

Oh well I'm glad there's ONE thing that meets with your guarded approval, even if only because you've never heard of it. :p

Simon Bridge
3rd January 2006, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Simon Bridge :
Where these gifts from someone who loves you or did you get them yourself?

Reply:
They were from an extensive list I provided to my relatives.

Oh - both.

Reply:
Buh?

gphoto = GNU Photo: is the GNU project digital camera tool, released under the GPL. I use gphoto and the gimp (also GPL) with my Sony DSL P43. I found the software that came on the disk with the camera was just restrictive and cumbersome. However...

http://linuxcompatible.org/cdetail12160.html
... I see it works as a mass storage device too :) You can just plug it into your linux box in "normal" mode and you don't even need drivers. The OS will auto-mount the volume, and ask you what you want to do with the photos (2.6 kernels with udev - for 2.4 kernels you'll need to write a script and/or edit fstab).

Computers are like air-conditioning: they work better if you don't open windows :)

... can't stand that Banks person. I find the stories predicatble and shallow.

Reply:
Surely you can't mean that about the SF novels?! Having said that I've read none of his non-SF stuff except The Wasp Factory which I greatly disliked, so I have no intention of pursuing that branch. But his SF is inventive, mind-bending and dark-humoured and I luuurve it. So there.

I don't think his SF is inventive. Most of what he writes about has been through the mill so many times it's turned to drivvel. Some even dates back to the 40's. Of course, you have to have been around for a while to appreciate this.

I read "Consider Phleabas" in detail, and skimmed a few others in case the style has matured, but cannot rank this guy with the likes of Dick or Zelazney. Or even Van Vogt. I figured the story transparent - clearly the utopia would be winning and the central character was the villain.

However, it's not as bad as some. I was given a copy of the Wheel of Time thing - really bad. A lot of the plot suspence hinged on which one of the troupe would turn out to be The One. However, it was obvious, not only which that would be, but what each of the others would end up as too. Thus, the shock revelations failed to surprise. Add to that the non-originality of the characters (all D&D clones) and you have something about as exciting as a wet sponge. (BTW: I am not a fan of wet sponges either :) )

For mind-bending and dark-ish, try the Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea ... recent? Anything by Neil Gaiman.

Reply:
Oh well I'm glad there's ONE thing that meets with your guarded approval, even if only because you've never heard of it.

... oh but I approved of Principia didn't I?
If you're a physics fan - try the Richard Feynman Lecture Notes. The actual lecture series was a total failure, in that none of the freshmen learned anything - partly because F tried too hard, and partly because they (freshmen) couldn't get in because of all the fans clogging the theatre - but the lecture notes are a golden resource.

He even deals with things you'll see thrown at you by creationists (the marvel of the human eye etc) from a physical POV. And - oh - you know, I saw the licence plate AEK4546 today, do you know what the odds are against that happening at just that moment: must be God trying to tell me something.

Ducky
3rd January 2006, 06:56 PM
Computers are like air-conditioning: they work better if you don't open windows :)

I f***ing like this guy.

WELCOME SIMON!!!!!

logical muse
3rd January 2006, 10:28 PM
Welcome to all the new posters! Here's my advice:

Trust no one except Iamme.

curt
4th January 2006, 12:08 AM
Hi everyone! Loved TAM3 and can't wait to go to TAM4. Joined the forum last Febr but never introduced myself. I'm a psychology professor and teach a class called skepticism and pseudoscience in psychology, which is the most fun I've ever had teaching a class. I just uploaded a avitar ... anyone know how the conference name tags get printed with the avatar. I'd hate to miss out on something this important...

Curt

Hutch
4th January 2006, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone! Loved TAM3 and can't wait to go to TAM4. Joined the forum last Febr but never introduced myself. I'm a psychology professor and teach a class called skepticism and pseudoscience in psychology, which is the most fun I've ever had teaching a class. I just uploaded a avitar ... anyone know how the conference name tags get printed with the avatar. I'd hate to miss out on something this important...

Curt

Curt, welcome and enjoy. I have added your name to my list of TAM4 attendees, I will be sending it to Girl6 who will be making the super-secret JREF Forum badges. Just check in on the TAM4 subfora and we'll work out a way to find you.

YOu need to post of your experiences teaching-I bet there are some stories worht the telling...

curt
4th January 2006, 11:33 PM
Curt, welcome and enjoy. I have added your name to my list of TAM4 attendees, I will be sending it to Girl6 who will be making the super-secret JREF Forum badges. Just check in on the TAM4 subfora and we'll work out a way to find you.

YOu need to post of your experiences teaching-I bet there are some stories worht the telling...

Oh, wow. I get to have a super-secret JREF Forum badge! Thanks!

hmmm...tell some teaching stories. When I'm asked "what's the worst experience you've ever had teaching" there is one little episode that comes to mind. You mean stories like that??

Curt

curt
4th January 2006, 11:33 PM

Oh, wow. I get to have a super-secret JREF Forum badge! Thanks!

hmmm...tell some teaching stories. When I'm asked "what's the worst experience you've ever had teaching" there is one little episode that comes to mind. You mean stories like that??

Curt

Simon Bridge
5th January 2006, 02:24 AM
fowlsound: WELCOME SIMON!!!!!
... why thank you <blush>.

Q. How do you make windows go faster?
A. Throw it harder.

curt: teaching stories? Lets compare scars...

I did my teacher training in NZ. At Teacher School, I signed up for Physics/Math major. There were 11 in my year, and I was the only qualified physicist with a BSc. The others were engineers and chemists. There was one who was a biologist who hadn't done physics since age 16 at high school. 6 of these openly stated that they wanted to be science teachers so they could teach creationism in school.

I befreinded a fundy christian there, well he was nice enough and wasn't one who wanted to teach creationism. Each morning we'd have to walk under trees to get to class. Each morning the birds singled him out for special treatment, though had not a mark.

We decided, that as the committed christian, God was testing him. So he got a constant hard time. Meanwhile, I was the pagan. I'd already failed so God didn't need to give me a hard time any more...

Run in with students... some students pointed out that as corporal punishment had just been made illegal in schools, they could do what they liked and I couldn't hit them. I pointed out that I still could - I'd just go to jail <lean closer> but I might think it was worth it! besides: lets say they are naughty, I hit them for it, then what? They have to tell their parents. Their parents ask: "Why did Mr. Bridge hit you?" ... then the parent's hit them.

I did have a run in where a student who was half my age and twice my bodyweight (all muscle) stood right up close and told me flat that I couldn't make him do anything.

Interestingly, I've never had to hit a kid for discipline. When I point out that it is not needed (and counter-productive anyway) someone always asks: "Well what do you do when a student hits you from behind with a length of 4x2 then?" And when I say that I fall on the floor bleeding they seem to thing they've proved something.

Your turn.

curt
5th January 2006, 03:08 AM
Hey, it's not a competition! I teach at a university and one reason I like teaching there is so I don't have to deal with the more undisciplined younger element and their parents. I like kids best once they turn 18. My story is in a different category. I'm not sure what the category is, but it's weird.

A student comes in to talk about why she's failing (not doing well on most of the tests and failing paper grade) and what she can do about it (nothing: it's the last week of class). She's probably 25 or so. She's very nice about it all and accepting about the rather obvious details I'm explaining to her. I need to mention that she also brought her two kids with her who were probably age 4 (the girl) and 3 (the boy) and well dressed. Both kids are cute and the little girl stood right next to my chair - kind of between her Mom and me. Peculiar but they were behaving. The boy was kind of wandering around my office.

Then I get this sense that something isn't right. I think I might have heard something out of place maybe. I look over at the little girl and see that she has just peed herself and there is this puddle underneath her right by my chair. I'm stunned and look at her mother who looks back like "what's wrong" but doesn't say anything. The girls just stands in her pee puddle smiling and I back my chair out saying we need to clean this up before it spreads further. As I get up and move towards the door, the boy is standing in the doorway in his cute little shorts and shirt outfit. Ok, I'm not kidding now...the boy has crapped his pants and it's all fallen out and is in my doorway. For it to have fallen out like this he must not have been wearing a diaper underneath or underpants.

I'm still staying calm, but I tell the mother that our meeting is over and she's failed the course and there's nothing I can do about that and tell them to leave. The mother (who is from another culture, let's say, which I have no idea if this is relevant) takes her kids and still isn't acting all that surprised.

I clean up the (2) messes. Then I realize that I missed an incredible opportunity to have taken some pictures to document this whole episode. It would have been a great web page! I still kick myself about this.

To this day, I still wonder if the mother pulled some nasty passive-aggressive stunt on me. I don't think so, but you gotta consider the evidence!! Or if her kids peeing and crapping around was acceptable to her. Seemed like it was the case. I'm clueless really.

So beats me. I'm still stunned when I think about it. Although it's also pretty funny. Now. At least I don't work at the DMV.

I think that's my worst and weirdest story. Maybe we should have a weird teaching experiences thread..

Thanks for the encouragement!
Curt

doubtmaster
5th January 2006, 01:13 PM
Hi, this is doubtmaster. I joined the forum two weeks ago. It started as a joke with my friends. They started calling me doubtmaster because most of the time I will begin my talk with them by saying ďI doubt it, but let us find outĒ. I am a scientist(biochemist)and my skepticism helped me some times in my research work too.

I am happy to find so many like-minded people in the forums. I have registered for the TAM meeting and have room reservation. It should be quite an entertaining and enlightening experience.

ynot
5th January 2006, 04:49 PM
Hi - Have just joined (strange for me, I’m not usually a joiner). Live in New Zealand in a city called Christchurch. Our national anthem is titled “God Save New Zealand”. A nice country though (there, I’ve done my bit for tourism). Have been a frequent visitor to the JREF website for some time and enjoy reading the weekly Swift Commentary. Appreciate the effort the Amazing Randi and team put in to furthering the cause of truth and reality. Would love to attend TAM (maybe next year). Am attempting to write down my thoughts on the effects and consequences of intellect and emotion on us strange humans. May be content for a book or may be (probably) fodder for the waste paper bin. Hope to test some of my thoughts in the forum.

vIQleS
5th January 2006, 07:46 PM
My name is Nathan and I'm from Auckland NZ. (Actually I'm from Wellington, but I live in Auckland)

I am an amateur magician, a lighting tech, and I work in a Library as a 'Learning Center Coordinator' (It's not as exciting as it sounds...).

I am also what you'd probably call a Fundamentalist Christian, but if it's any consolation I have no intention of debating my beliefs or posting silly rants- I have seen the evidence presented to me by both sides and I'm satisfied that my faith is justified.

I am a Skeptic in all other areas - psychics, mediums, GSICs, drowsing etc. Stuff that's provable...

I first heard about James on P&T - I noticed he had been on a couple of episodes and then someone mentioned the challenge, which i think I've heard before somewhere. When I started this job i had too much free time, so i decided to look up the $1000000 challenge... So I've been reading since the end of Nov...

Ducky
5th January 2006, 07:50 PM
My name is Nathan and I'm from Auckland NZ. (Actually I'm from Wellington, but I live in Auckland)

I am an amateur magician, a lighting tech, and I work in a Library as a 'Learning Center Coordinator' (It's not as exciting as it sounds...).

I am also what you'd probably call a Fundamentalist Christian, but if it's any consolation I have no intention of debating my beliefs or posting silly rants- I have seen the evidence presented to me by both sides and I'm satisfied that my faith is justified.

I am a Skeptic in all other areas - psychics, mediums, GSICs, drowsing etc. Stuff that's provable...

I first heard about James on P&T - I noticed he had been on a couple of episodes and then someone mentioned the challenge, which i think I've heard before somewhere. When I started this job i had too much free time, so i decided to look up the $1000000 challenge... So I've been reading since the end of Nov...

Welcome!!!!

Look forward to more posts by you :)

Ducky
5th January 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi, this is doubtmaster. I joined the forum two weeks ago. It started as a joke with my friends. They started calling me doubtmaster because most of the time I will begin my talk with them by saying ďI doubt it, but let us find outĒ. I am a scientist(biochemist)and my skepticism helped me some times in my research work too.

I am happy to find so many like-minded people in the forums. I have registered for the TAM meeting and have room reservation. It should be quite an entertaining and enlightening experience.

The standing rule for newbies applies:

You must buy the Titanium Superhero a beer at TAM.

Or have the Titanium Superhero buy you one, whichever works.

Look for the god like superhero with a straight spine...

;)

(WELCOME!!!)

Jeff Wagg
6th January 2006, 07:32 AM
I think you're exactly the kind of person we need more of here. Prepare to be challenged, but dont' be afraid to be challenging. :)

Welcome.

CFLarsen
6th January 2006, 08:07 AM
New members coming in....good, good....

CFLarsen
6th January 2006, 08:10 AM
I think you're exactly the kind of person we need more of here. Prepare to be challenged, but dont' be afraid to be challenging. :)

Prove it. Let's see your evidence.

Come on! Put'em up! Put'em up!

:D

Dr Adequate
6th January 2006, 08:47 AM
I am also what you'd probably call a Fundamentalist Christian...Welcome to the forums!
:lion:

but if it's any consolation I have no intention of debating my beliefs... Oh, go on, please do. We get so few fundamentalists who can punctuate and use paragraphs properly, it would be a shame if you didn't.

Don't you even want to do the creationism versus evolution thing? That's always popular round here.

BillHoyt
6th January 2006, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the forums!
:lion:

Oh, go on, please do. We get so few fundamentalists who can punctuate and use paragraphs properly, it would be a shame if you didn't.

Don't you even want to do the creationism versus evolution thing? That's always popular round here.
C'mon, Dr. A, don't bait him! Fundamental Christianity coupled with skepticism is very unusual, but if he takes more of a Deistic position regarding the measurable and provable, I'm willing to take him at his word.

Dr Adequate
6th January 2006, 10:45 AM
C'mon, Dr. A, don't bait him! Fundamental Christianity coupled with skepticism is very unusual... It is unusual, and I wasn't joking.

Debating evolution with the likes of 1inChrist didn't really show up the strengths and weaknesses of either evolutionary or creationist arguments. It just showed up the weaknesses of 1inChrist. I should like to have a proper debate.

Besides, I might actually change his mind.

but if he takes more of a Deistic position ... ... then I wouldn't call him a fundamentalist. I took the term to include a young earth and fiat creation of species in six days.

curt
6th January 2006, 12:43 PM

Hey, let's cut the guy some slack and let him debate what he wants to, if he wants to, and, otherwise let him pick up what he will from what I think is the smartest board around.

Curt

BillHoyt
6th January 2006, 12:55 PM
... then I wouldn't call him a fundamentalist. I took the term to include a young earth and fiat creation of species in six days.
Have a look at Eugenie Scott's continuum of creationism / evolution. (http://www.ncseweb.org/graphics/continuum.gif) Not sure that "fundamentalism" necessarily pins one down to one of the many variations...

Geckko
7th January 2006, 03:10 AM
Hi all. I jonly just discovered that this is the place for newbies.

I am an Aussie, marooned in London for my sins. An investment consultant by trade. I try to be a skeptic, but often simply find myself taking contrarian position in discussions - possibly because I find that more inseresting than agreeing.

I think Benjamin Franklin once had something to say on that type of personal trait of which he himself once suffered.

Nucular
7th January 2006, 05:34 AM
I think Benjamin Franklin once had something to say on that type of personal trait of which he himself once suffered.
No he didn't.

;)

Welcome, one and all :)

Hutch
7th January 2006, 12:38 PM
Hi - Have just joined (strange for me, Iím not usually a joiner). Live in New Zealand in a city called Christchurch. Our national anthem is titled ďGod Save New ZealandĒ. A nice country though (there, Iíve done my bit for tourism). Have been a frequent visitor to the JREF website for some time and enjoy reading the weekly Swift Commentary. Appreciate the effort the Amazing Randi and team put in to furthering the cause of truth and reality. Would love to attend TAM (maybe next year). Am attempting to write down my thoughts on the effects and consequences of intellect and emotion on us strange humans. May be content for a book or may be (probably) fodder for the waste paper bin. Hope to test some of my thoughts in the forum.

ynot, welcome to the Forum. I think we've had another NZ join recently, at least you can help conteract all the bloody Aussies running around..;) :D

AnotherSillyAlias
7th January 2006, 04:50 PM
ynot, welcome to the Forum. I think we've had another NZ join recently, at least you can help conteract all the bloody Aussies running around..;) :D

I'll have you know there is no blood on me....

Oh, hang on ...

Yes there is ...

Bloody parrot bit me again.

Danhalen
7th January 2006, 05:24 PM
Greetings from another n00b (sorta). I used to post on these fora a few years back as Shroud of Akron, but I had moved on and since forgotten my old password, and the password to my old e-mail as well.

Anywho, I would still consider myself a total n00b due my change in perspective. When I last posted here I was a convicted agnostic. I've since jumped off the fence into implicit atheism. I've also begun to continue my education since I last posted here. I've just completed my first semester of college as a philosophy major. I plan on pursuing this to the PhD level. I know it's a long way off, but hey, I have a goal to reach. I'm going to school full time while working full time. I have a wife and two children (one of which was not born the last time I posted), Sam and Leo.

I hope to be a bit more intelligible this time 'round. Good to meet you all again.

Danhalen

Hazen
7th January 2006, 05:33 PM
Greetings to All,
I've been reading the commentary and lurking around the forum for a while now and JREF has become my favourite regular stop for a dose of like minded folks who live in the world of sanity/rationality, so I thought I'd introduce myself.
My name is Paul, 38, from southern England and am daily surrounded by believers in all kinds of things, of all sorts. I'm hoping to participate in an oasis of reason here.

DigitalHoser
7th January 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi ho. I'm RT's kid DigitalHoser. I've been watching this site and reading some of the weirder comments while my old man's been getting into trouble. (Don't tell me he isn't. I know better.) I'm currently attending Sierra College in Rocklin, while looking for a decent job as a medic. Just beware, my dad can be weird, but I'm totally bizarre.

vIQleS
8th January 2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the welcome - I was a bit worried that I might be immediately lambasted for being a creationist... :duck:

I don't mind debating creationism and what I know (and can remember) of apologetics, but i didn't want anyone to worry that I might be her to post rants and diatribes like some of the nut jobs that seem to pervade the interweb.

I can't claim to be able to debate with a great deal of knowledge and I might not be able to remember all the really great arguments and evidence that I've seen over the years but I'm happy to give it a go (every now and then)...

I haven't looked at the debaty-type forums yet - I've been busy enjoying the applications, but I'll check it out and see if I can't offer some intelligent participation...

AnotherSillyAlias
8th January 2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome - I was a bit worried that I might be immediately lambasted for being a creationist... :duck:

I don't mind debating creationism and what I know (and can remember) of apologetics, but i didn't want anyone to worry that I might be her to post rants and diatribes like some of the nut jobs that seem to pervade the interweb.

That's the way to go, state your case, be prepared to defend it and, as long as you're not another kilik or KK&CD you'll probably have a lot of fun.

Hutch
9th January 2006, 06:43 AM
For the newest of the newbies:

DanHalen: Your Shroud of Akron account is still active--if you PM Darat or Jeff Wagg they can probably find your password and send it to you if you want to continue using it. And is that Akron, Ohio? I was born (Wadsworth) and raised (Cuyahoga Falls) around that area.

Hazen: Welcome, you have much company in England on this board, and you will enjoy sanity and rationality (as long as you stay away from the Political Forum, that is...:eek: )

DigitalHoser: Kid, if you can write about 1/3rd as well as your old man, you'll do just fine (If we ALL could write 1/3rd as well as Roadtoad...). Besides, a bunch of us will be able to get the straight dope on you come TAM4 from the 'toad himself...

Go forth and post, fellow Forumites...and beware the Ides of Larsen...

benji
9th January 2006, 08:07 AM
Born in 1968, swiss living in switzerland, Atheist and enjoying every bit on the JREF Website tremendously - as much as my own (fruitless, but still fun) discussions with (against?) believers of all sorts.

Being a psychologist, I was a bit surprised about certain points that came up here in the discussion regarding "Dr. Feelgood", but maybe I can add my 2 cents when something similar pops up sometimes in the future (and I predict it will ... ;) ).

Sorry about my english - looking forward to a fun time here :)

Grounded
9th January 2006, 01:02 PM
Hello to all. I have enjoyed lurking for some time (around 6 weeks) and finally decided to introduce myself. My intellect falls safely within the range of what Iíve seen. Most of my thoughts will have been posted by the time I catch up on interesting threads - so I offer nothing spectacular. I want to hone my thinking skills and have some fun at the same time. I have degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering but currently work as a web application developer. I look forward to learning with the group.

Grounded

Danivon
9th January 2006, 03:24 PM
Hi, I'm english and I'm a sceptoholic. I work in IT, I lean to the left politically, I was brought up in an atheistic family (although I was allowed my childhood agnosticism)

My usual signature reads: 'Question everything. Obey no-one. Especially me'

I hope that sums me up. Having read Randi's commentaries for a while, I wondered who else did - and how could I irritate them? see ya around

AnotherSillyAlias
9th January 2006, 04:08 PM
Lot of new people here lately.

Must be Lisa's fault.

AnotherSillyAlias
9th January 2006, 04:09 PM
Oh, BTW, welcome to all the new people. :)

Ducky
9th January 2006, 04:16 PM
Hi ho. I'm RT's kid DigitalHoser. I've been watching this site and reading some of the weirder comments while my old man's been getting into trouble. (Don't tell me he isn't. I know better.) I'm currently attending Sierra College in Rocklin, while looking for a decent job as a medic. Just beware, my dad can be weird, but I'm totally bizarre.

Welcome! Your old man is a good guy to have getting your six in a debate with fundies. I enjoy tag team woo smackdown with him.

Bizarre is good. Bring it on. :)

Welcome again.

Hutch
9th January 2006, 04:59 PM
Born in 1968, swiss living in switzerland,

Makes sense...;)

Atheist and enjoying every bit on the JREF Website tremendously - as much as my own (fruitless, but still fun) discussions with (against?) believers of all sorts.

Just remember there are believers and there are believers. Play nice with kittynh and Mlynn and the cuckoo clock will remain perfectly safe..:cool:

Sorry about my english - looking forward to a fun time here :)

Your engish is already better than jaygw and Iamme, so pitch right in.

Hutch
9th January 2006, 05:02 PM
Hello to all. I have enjoyed lurking for some time (around 6 weeks) and finally decided to introduce myself. My intellect falls safely within the range of what Iíve seen. Most of my thoughts will have been posted by the time I catch up on interesting threads - so I offer nothing spectacular. I want to hone my thinking skills and have some fun at the same time. I have degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering but currently work as a web application developer. I look forward to learning with the group.

Grounded

Welcome. I lurked for almost 4 months before joining. Been around over 2 years and they haven't figured out a way to get rid of me yet...

you say above

My intellect falls safely within the range of what Iíve seen.

But is this a Bad or a Good thing for the rest of us? :D ;)

Welcome

Hutch
9th January 2006, 05:03 PM
Hi, I'm english and I'm a sceptoholic. I work in IT, I lean to the left politically, I was brought up in an atheistic family (although I was allowed my childhood agnosticism)

My usual signature reads: 'Question everything. Obey no-one. Especially me'

I hope that sums me up. Having read Randi's commentaries for a while, I wondered who else did - and how could I irritate them? see ya around

So, you lean to the left politically. See you in the Politics Forum--where I am sure you can irritate somebody...:eye-poppi :)

Welcome.

Ducky
9th January 2006, 05:04 PM
So, you lean to the left politically. See you in the Politics Forum--where I am sure you can irritate somebody...:eye-poppi :)

Welcome.

Hey hey hey! No sending the n00bs directly to the "Dark Alley of Doom."

Let them warm up in flame wars first...

AnotherSillyAlias
9th January 2006, 05:14 PM
Hey hey hey! No sending the n00bs directly to the "Dark Alley of Doom."

Let them warm up in flame wars first...

Better training would be to stand around in dark alleys armed only with a toothpick.

nosho
10th January 2006, 11:19 AM
Hello everyone. I've been enjoying the commentary each week, and I started following a few threads here in the forum. Seems like a place where we can give each other and the world the benefit of the doubt, in the best sense of the word. Which is pretty generous. So I'm joining in.

Danivon
10th January 2006, 12:56 PM
Better training would be to stand around in dark alleys armed only with a toothpick.

I have debated politics before, with all sorts of looneys (and Republicans). I'll pack my toothpick...

Cetecea
11th January 2006, 12:01 PM
Ok- I posted in the punch line thread and thought I should say hello. Devout unbeliever here.

I forgot... I believe in logic.

Freethinker
11th January 2006, 12:30 PM
Hello all. I've been here a few months now, and have found this place to be loaded with thinkers and people who realize it is possible to disagree in a civil manner. That's not a common thing in the world, particularly on the internet.
I live in the midwestern US. I may be an oddity here. Much of my politics would be described as radically conservative, but I am a "devout" atheist, I don't care what people watch, listen to, read, or what consenting adults do in the privacy of their homes. I dislike the thought of aborting babies, particularly as a method of birth control, but I don't think it is any of the government's business. I'm very concerned that religious morons like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are influencing people who have been educated in our public schools and don't have the ability to distinguish between bull excrement and fact.
I'm an engineer with a family, and an outside business that occupies almost all of my spare time.

tim
11th January 2006, 12:38 PM
Greetings, nosho, Danivon, Cetecea and Freethinker, and a warm welcome to the forum.
I'm tim and I'll be your fight attendant for this flight. The exit doors are at the back...... wait, that's not right, is it?
Jump right in folks! :D

Maenoon
12th January 2006, 07:14 AM
Hello! After visiting this site off and on for several years, I've finally decided to take the plunge and join in. I trust that no one will make me drink poisoned Kool-Aid ala Jim Jones.

Jeff Wagg
12th January 2006, 07:15 AM
Hello! After visiting this site off and on for several years, I've finally decided to take the plunge and join in. I trust that no one will make me drink poisoned Kool-Aid ala Jim Jones.

Just the homeopathic kind.

Genesius
12th January 2006, 07:30 AM

Hey, another Pennsylvanian! We'll have to get together with KingMerv00, pick up a load of soft pretzels & beer, and have a belated "Reason Rules in Dover" party!

BeProf
12th January 2006, 07:51 PM
I guess I'm supposed to introduce myself, so here goes...

I'm a Christian. Specifically of the Evangelical variety. I was invited over here by kmortis. Now, I can almost hear your eyes rolling so let me just say a few things from the get go:

One, I'm not here to convert or "witness" to you in anyway. Well... maybe a little bit... but only insofar as I can be an example of your normal, average, everyday American Evangelical Christian (and hopefully show you that we're not all bad).

Two, I, like most Christians, am generally appalled by the antics of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, nearly every "preacher" on TV, and a whole bunch of what goes on in the name of Christianity. Most of us aren't rabid frothing at the mouth budding theocrats who want to teach creationism in schools and herd all non-believers into re-education camps.

Three, in my short time here, I've noticed that there seem to be many misconceptions about what we're really like and what we really believe. I guess I'm trying to say that my real purpose in being here is to be a test subject. Poke and prod away. If you've heard that "Chrstians beleive thus and such..." and you're wondering if that's really true, just ask.

kmortis
12th January 2006, 09:32 PM

I'm a Christian. Specifically of the Evangelical variety. I was invited over here by kmortis. Now, I can almost hear your eyes rolling so let me just say a few things from the get go:

One, I'm not here to convert or "witness" to you in anyway. Well... maybe a little bit... but only insofar as I can be an example of your normal, average, everyday American Evangelical Christian (and hopefully show you that we're not all bad).

Two, I, like most Christians, am generally appalled by the antics of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, nearly every "preacher" on TV, and a whole bunch of what goes on in the name of Christianity. Most of us aren't rabid frothing at the mouth budding theocrats who want to teach creationism in schools and herd all non-believers into re-education camps.

Three, in my short time here, I've noticed that there seem to be many misconceptions about what we're really like and what we really believe. I guess I'm trying to say that my real purpose in being here is to be a test subject. Poke and prod away. If you've heard that "Chrstians beleive thus and such..." and you're wondering if that's really true, just ask.
Welcome, BeProf,
I was masquerading as a somewhat respectable person on Firestream and I ran across this guy. I figured that he'd fit in over here, but when he told me that he's a card carrying Subgenius, I knew for sure. I'll warn you guys, he can hold his own, but he'll just as likely make you laugh as get angry.

So, again, welcome

tim
13th January 2006, 12:01 AM
A warm welcome to the forum, BeProf!
We have a number of Christians here who have no difficulty reconciling their beliefs with a skeptical viewpoint. They are highly respected.
This is not an athiest forum. That said, many of us, myself included, are athiests. We can't prove to you there is no god, and you can't prove to us that there is. That belief aside, I am sure there is much common ground between us. The folk you mention aren't, IMHO, Christians at all. They're con men, out for what they can get. We may also agree on people like Sylvia Brown, John Edward and Uri Geller.
So Welcome - we look forward to your posts..... :crc: ;)

clarsct
13th January 2006, 12:30 AM
I'd say we're about 75% athiest, tho, tim.

MLynn and KittyNH are some good examples of some very well respected Xians on this forum, though.

We also have our share of Buddhists, Wiccans, and Jewish types. I am unsure if we have any Muslim or Hindu, I haven't asked or seen any lately.(Discounting the MAS collective. I imagine a lot of their friends and neighbors would be ashamed of their antics in this forum.)

Then we have your occasional Pastafarian or Tacoist.

We're a pretty diverse group, as it goes.

:welcome2
And remember:

:lfault

kmortis
13th January 2006, 06:11 AM
Then we have your occasional Pastafarian or Tacoist.

We're a pretty diverse group, as it goes.

And remember:

:lfault
OCCASIONAL????

LostSoul
13th January 2006, 06:18 AM
Greetings. I thought I would have something witty to say for my first post here, but no. Maybe later.

kmortis
13th January 2006, 06:21 AM
Greetings. I thought I would have something witty to say for my first post here, but no. Maybe later.
Welcome LostSoul, I wouldn't worry too much about being witty. THe rest of us don't

Roadtoad
13th January 2006, 06:45 AM
Welcome LostSoul, I wouldn't worry too much about being witty. THe rest of us don't

No, most of us worry about bigger things. Like the Great Pasta Heresy. (Tacoism is the True Way.)

kmortis
13th January 2006, 06:59 AM
No, most of us worry about bigger things. Like the Great Pasta Heresy. (Tacoism is the True Way.)
Don't try to frighten us with your Tacoist's ways, RoadToad. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Woo's hidden fortress...

Roadtoad
13th January 2006, 07:02 AM
[Closes Hand]I find your lack of faith disturbing...

kmortis
13th January 2006, 07:08 AM
Close that hand too much and you'll break your taco. Again showing the superiority of Pastafarianism.

BeProf
13th January 2006, 08:23 AM
A pox on both your houses...

The True Way is to be found only in the bowl of "Bob's" pipe and the 'frop therein. Yay verily and for sooth! EYIYIYIYIYIYI!

kmortis
13th January 2006, 08:32 AM
A pox on both your houses...

The True Way is to be found only in the bowl of "Bob's" pipe and the 'frop therein. Yay verily and for sooth! EYIYIYIYIYIYI!
Hey, Bobbie, what happend on 4 July 1999? Oh yeah NOTHING!!! MOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail Eris
All Hail Discordia

BeProf
13th January 2006, 09:32 AM
Hey, Bobbie, what happend on 4 July 1999? Oh yeah NOTHING!!! MOUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail Eris
All Hail Discordia

First of all... it was 1998.

Second of all... "Bob" said the world would end on July 5th, 1998. Since we are still here, we can logically conclude that the only possible explanation is that world did end on July 5th, 1998 and that we just have been to wrapped up in our own Slacklessness to notice.

AnotherSillyAlias
13th January 2006, 02:33 PM
I contend that the world eneded in 1968. I have no memory of that year at all which proves that it ended then.

What has happened since is an entirely new world. [Insert your favourite diety here] obviously didn't like the old one, did a reboot and started again.

Ducky
13th January 2006, 02:38 PM

Hey the god news is that while we'll learn from you about misconceptions, you may be able to disspell those "dirty immoral athiest" misconceptions about this forum.

We have alot fo folks here: Jewish, Christian, Athiest, Agnostic, Buddhist. We're all just here to learn, like you.

You are most welcome here. So far, you have shown yourself to be thoughtful and well spoken. I look forward to our discussions.

blutoski
13th January 2006, 02:57 PM
Hi. New member intro.

I've been involved in Skepticism for over a decade, first with my local CSICOP "affiliate", and then on the Skeptics mailing list that is loosely attached to the Skeptics Society, and the healthfraud list that is moderated by QuackWatch.

Most of those discussion groups are populated by veterans, and there's not a lot of activity. I observe that the activity at JREF has undergone a sea change over the last couple of years, and it has become a more important community nexus for Skepticism. So, it's time for me to join.

I'm currently working in a 'suit' role in a technology company while my wife finishes her education, after which I will return to university and hopefully establish the post-secondary teaching career I really want.

My main focus of interest in Skepticism aligns with my academic interest (immunology and healthfraud). I also have strong views about the separation of relgion and government, which connects a bit with my biology degrees when Evolution finds itself the target of government censure.

Ultimately, my goals wrt Skepticism is to try to help coordinate the somewhat scattered elements within the movement to better utilize resources and ultimately be more effective in distributing our concerns to the general public.

Thanks for reading.

PS: a technical question about the forums tool... avatars... is there a delay before new members can attach one to out profiles?

Katachresis
13th January 2006, 03:01 PM
technically, you need 30 (or 50, I forget) posts.

easy enough if you hang with riff-raff in humor.

Marquis de Carabas
13th January 2006, 03:04 PM
We may be riff-raff, but we're high end riff-raff.

AnotherSillyAlias
13th January 2006, 03:11 PM
We may be riff-raff, but we're high end riff-raff.

I'm not.

Whydoe
13th January 2006, 03:34 PM

Avatar thief! Gotcha! I'll have you know that it took me a good 5 minutes to scan that in and scale it down to size. Just kiddin'

kmortis
13th January 2006, 03:43 PM

...........................What Riff Raff?
http://www.rhps.org/archive/pictures/riff_raff/riff_raff.0007.gif

Katachresis
13th January 2006, 03:58 PM
Avatar thief! Gotcha! I'll have you know that it took me a good 5 minutes to scan that in and scale it down to size. Just kiddin'

If you only knew the grief I took for my choice, you'd spend 30 seconds in paint and then be thought of an imaginative artist.

Katachresis
13th January 2006, 04:00 PM
<---I'll spend the weekend like this, anyway.

Katachresis
13th January 2006, 11:09 PM
I changed my mind; yours is sufficiently "different" that there will be no confusion.

Darlon
15th January 2006, 11:57 AM
hello all, I'm sorry for not introducing myself earlier, I just wanted to know what I was getting into before jumping in :D.

The_Fire
16th January 2006, 08:01 AM
*takes a break from her left and right brainhalf debating on wether or not magic exists to introduce herself*

Hi there! The Fire signing in from Denmark. I've spend a lot of time lately on the randy.org site and decided that it was time to jump in on the deep end.
Just don't expect too many posts from me to start with untill I get into the feel of things here.
Despite my delusions on the existance of things possible existing that science haven't had a chance of proving yet, including deity, I find myself somewhat of a sceptic. Or at least that's what I'm being accused of being since I prefer to use the grey matter between my ears for more than spacefiller.
So let's see how things go, shall we?

tim
16th January 2006, 09:10 AM
Hi Darlon - better late than never. Welcome! Do you want to give us some details about yourself?
Hi The_Fire. You're very welcome here. We have a number of Danish posters, "Danish Dynamite" and the pillaging viking "CFLarsen" to name but two.
Take things steady - we don't bite......... well, not much :crc:
and that's Randi btw........ "randy means, erm, well, RANDY! :D

Mandy
16th January 2006, 11:19 AM
Hi there.

I'm not really new to this site, as I was registered here a couple of years back, but I was a rather infrequent visitor.

Somewhere along the way, some software upgrades occurred and by the time I tried to log in again, I found my password was no longer being accepted.

So, I've just been visiting as a "lurker" since then and have been enjoying the forum as a guest only.

But every once in a while, I find myself wanting to ask a question or to respond to something I've read, so I overcame my inherent laziness and registered again.

I'll try not to allow my account to be overtaken by cobwebs this time.
;)

Dogdoctor
16th January 2006, 03:07 PM
I'll try not to allow my account to be overtaken by cobwebs this time.
;)

You made a start now and are no longer a lurker;)

LunaticByTheSea
16th January 2006, 06:03 PM
HI there. Im new.
Well, I'm not new in the sense that I still have that new person smell,but more like Im new as in "new to you". Very much like when I brought home my brand new 1989 Volvo last summer,it was all fresh and new to me and yet someone out there was ridiculously glad to be rid of it, so it' really more in that vien that I say I'm new.
And having said that, let me just say this.

Im glad to be here and I get the feeling that Im gonna fit in just fine here as I tend to gravitate towards the slightly left of center crowd, and I definitely get that vibe here.

So OK. Nice to meet ya all.
Hope we can all just get along.

Peace.

LBTS.

Eos of the Eons
16th January 2006, 08:12 PM
Lunatic, Hey, were you at the last TAM? Some guy there said "Peace" a lot, and I've been looking for him ever since. So I was kinda hoping...please don't dash my delicate female hopes...cause you don't dare...

Welcome :D

Ducky
16th January 2006, 08:15 PM
Lunatic, Hey, were you at the last TAM? Some guy there said "Peace" a lot, and I've been looking for him ever since. So I was kinda hoping...please don't dash my delicate female hopes...cause you don't dare...

Whoa!

If this bears repeating I can say "Peace" a lot at this TAM!

LunaticByTheSea
16th January 2006, 11:32 PM

Welp, I don't really wanna dash any of your delicate female hopes.So for the sake of this conversation lets assume for a moment that I am that guy from the last TAM. Are you sure I was saying "Peace" or "Piece" ? because although the two words do in fact sound nearly identical,the intent of each varies radically.

It is my not-so-delicate hope (im a guy, so I have durable hopes) that you were able to detect the difference.

Pees.
LBTS.

Roadtoad
17th January 2006, 05:50 AM
Welp, I don't really wanna dash any of your delicate female hopes.So for the sake of this conversation lets assume for a moment that I am that guy from the last TAM. Are you sure I was saying "Peace" or "Piece" ? because although the two words do in fact sound nearly identical,the intent of each varies radically.

It is my not-so-delicate hope (im a guy, so I have durable hopes) that you were able to detect the difference.

Pees.
LBTS.

Great. Now all day, I'll be Visualizing Whirled Peas. (*Urp!*)

Darat
17th January 2006, 05:55 AM
Whirled Peas - that would be a good username.

And welcome to the new folks - have fun!

LunaticByTheSea
17th January 2006, 08:34 AM
Great. Now all day, I'll be Visualizing Whirled Peas. (*Urp!*)

-=(Pees)=-

It was intented as a verb rather than a noun.

Hindmost
17th January 2006, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

I have been lurking around the forums for many years. I am hoping to find the time to participate on a regular basis. JREF has always been a favorite site.

My past life was as a nuclear engineer...now I teach high school science--trying to teach more than just academics to my students.

I look forward to seeing some of you at TAM4.

glenn::boxedin:

Hutch
17th January 2006, 09:40 AM
Wecome glenn, I'll add you to the posters list for TAM4 (we're well over 100 already :eye-poppi ..from Nuclear Engineer to Science teacher--that is quite an interesting career choice and one that will serve you well on this site.

Looking forward to your posts.

Hutch
17th January 2006, 09:41 AM
Tim took care of the greeting, but i wanted to remark on this comment...

...as I tend to gravitate towards the slightly left of center crowd, and I definitely get that vibe here.

Well, come on over to politics and you may be disabused of that notion rather quickly!! :eek: :cool: :D

evilvlad
17th January 2006, 11:50 AM
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new around here, so just looking forward to introducing myself. I'm a college student from New York, and a bit of a skeptic for some time now. I think what really led me down this path of skepticism was my becoming a commited magician, and realizing just how easy it is to toy with peoples emotions. My other interests are Classical Guitar study, hockey, literature and Comic books. Thanks for reading, hope to talk to you soon.

Vladimir.

Spidey13
17th January 2006, 02:33 PM
Woo-hoo! I live off hockey and comics, along with the occasional bit of food.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Metullus
17th January 2006, 02:53 PM
Run while you still can!

AnotherSillyAlias
17th January 2006, 05:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new around here,

Excellent, we like newbies, especially with a good BBQ sauce.

Welcome.

Oh, and watch out for Fowlsound. Ha has, for some unaccountable reason, converted his entire spine into depleted uranium.

Ducky
17th January 2006, 05:33 PM
Excellent, we like newbies, especially with a good BBQ sauce.

Welcome.

Oh, and watch out for Fowlsound. Ha has, for some unaccountable reason, converted his entire spine into depleted uranium.

It powers the nuclear blast woo-destroying farts.

Wheezebucket
17th January 2006, 08:47 PM
I just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I've been reading the forums for the better part of a year now and I figured I'd get around to registering and joining in. I'm a staunch JREF supporter and a lonely skeptic here in Minnesota.

So...hello!

Eos of the Eons
17th January 2006, 09:37 PM
:) Welcome...and be lonely no more!

Ducky
17th January 2006, 09:40 PM
Wheeze! Welcome! Check your PM for info from me.

Again, a hearty welcome!!!!

Spidey13
17th January 2006, 09:44 PM
Sweet Jeebus. Do we really need any more Minnesot...uh...Minne...uh...whatever you call people from Minnesota? ;)

Gavan
18th January 2006, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I've been a fan of the JREF site for a while now so after a few hours of waiting and some help from one of the JREF admin I'm happy that I'm now up and running.

I do have a question though. I can't seem to load an avatar. The avatar edit option won't let me uncheck the 'no avatar' box and I can't find anywhere to put in a URL. Have I missed something (rules maybe??) I had a look through the FAQ but couldn't seem to find anything to answer my question.

Cheers.

Hawk one
18th January 2006, 10:50 AM
Gavan: You need to have posted 50 posts to be able to put in a signature and avatar.

And welcome.

Gavan
18th January 2006, 04:46 PM
Thanks Hawk one.

Happy to be here.

marcais
19th January 2006, 10:11 AM
Hi,

It's been a (long) while since I posted on here, and even back then it was only a handful of messages.

So hopefully this time I can think of something worth adding in some of the threads.

Darat
19th January 2006, 10:13 AM
:welcome4 newbies!

Arkan_Wolfshade
19th January 2006, 01:06 PM
*insert obligatory long time reader statement here*

Greetings and salutations fellow pedants, critical thinkers, and skeptics!

edit: because spell checkers are _hard_

Nucular
19th January 2006, 01:49 PM
*insert obligatory long time reader statement here*

Greetings and salutations fellow pendants
Must... resist... correcting spelling... of pedants...

Gah! I failed.

Arkan_Wolfshade
19th January 2006, 01:50 PM
Must... resist... correcting spelling... of pedants...

Gah! I failed.

Typographical error, nothing more. That's what happens when one has been staring at sqlplus code for hours on end. You're probably lucky I didn't end my sentence with a semi-colon or forward slash instead of a period.

Marquis de Carabas
19th January 2006, 01:51 PM
How do you know he misspelt pedants and not pennants.

Nucular
19th January 2006, 01:55 PM
Because shut up.

;)

http://www.mustardmuseum.com/pouponu/graphics/pennant_sm.gif

Nucular
19th January 2006, 02:02 PM
You're probably lucky I didn't end my sentence with a semi-colon or forward slash instead of a period.
I might never have recovered! Welcome anyway, anyone who stares at sqlplus code for hours must know what they're doing (or not have a clue what they're doing - one extreme or t'other).

Hutch
19th January 2006, 06:51 PM
So hopefully this time I can think of something worth adding in some of the threads.

Welcome marcias, and don't let not having something worth adding stop you. (Never has stopped me)

Hutch--continuing on to 2,500 posts before TAM4

Tony4245
19th January 2006, 11:48 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been visiting the JREF site for quite awhile, although I only recently signed up for the forums. Just wanted to say howdy.

I was the guy who sent Randi the message about being forced to take a class in woo-woo CAM at U.C. San Francisco in 'Swift' a couple of months back... needless to say, I got a "C" with just enough points - so I don't have to retake the class. Guess the teacher didn't dig what I had to say about it in my paper. :p

Did I mention she showed us that Ghod-awful movie "What The Bleep Do We Know" as part of the class? I mean, yikes!

Anyway, looking forward to some interesting discussions.

Tony B.
-----------------------------------
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman

Dogdoctor
20th January 2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Tony4245,

Too bad you did not get a good grade and welcome to the forum
:welcome3 :welcome4

The Black Fox
20th January 2006, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here a long time and finally got around to joining!

I look forward to tapping into your vast collective intellect and wisdom :)

Darat
20th January 2006, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here a long time and finally got around to joining!

I look forward to tapping into your vast collective intellect and wisdom :)

So you're not planning on straying around for long? ;)

Welcome!

BillHoyt
20th January 2006, 11:26 AM
So you're not planning on straying around for long? ;)

Welcome!
Freudian slip due to wild cat avatar? That's just too good.

:dl:

farrisjs
20th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Been lurking around this forum for years finally thought I should join.

I'm a old school hacker and new to forums and thought this would be a good place to start, so be gentle.

I have been a member of JREF for the last year and have read alot of the threads and so I thought its about time I should add my 2 cents to some of the discussion.

I'm a IT Specialist in Medical Imaging (Radiology, Nuclear Med, PET/CT) and familar with medical research so hopefully I will have something to add.

I wish I was going to TAM this year but sadly I spent all my money on feeding my wife and two kids but there always next year.

veggie doll
20th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Hello... I'm new also. Obviously. *curtseys*

:v:

(Above smiley has nothing to do with anything. I just find the image of a smiley with arms growing from it's head playing violin quite cute).

Katachresis
20th January 2006, 01:41 PM
quite cute.

Allow me to say that I find you quite cute as well. Then again, I can't see you. I'm actually using you as an excuse to post.

Oh, and welcome. The people here are great.

farrisjs
20th January 2006, 01:43 PM
I wish I would of thought of a clever username, from now until the end of this forum I guess will only be know of as farrisjs.

Live and Learn.

Marquis de Carabas
20th January 2006, 01:43 PM
I wish I was going to TAM this year but sadly I spent all my money on feeding my wife and two kids but there always next year.
Does that mean you will neglect your wife and kids for a year to save money? Great idea. Makes me wish I was married with kids so I could raise some money by starving them.

farrisjs
20th January 2006, 01:46 PM
No I will just put them to work.

Darat
20th January 2006, 01:47 PM
Been lurking around this forum for years finally thought I should join.

I'm a old school hacker and new to forums and thought this would be a good place to start, so be gentle.

I have been a member of JREF for the last year and have read alot of the threads and so I thought its about time I should add my 2 cents to some of the discussion.

I'm a IT Specialist in Medical Imaging (Radiology, Nuclear Med, PET/CT) and familar with medical research so hopefully I will have something to add.

We could have done with your help in this thread (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1393871#post1393871)a little while ago there was a discussion about whether the appendix could be seen on x-rays.

farrisjs
20th January 2006, 01:48 PM
Good question I'll check with one of the Radiologist.

Ducky
20th January 2006, 01:50 PM
Good question I'll check with one of the Radiologist.

[shameless self-promotion]

You would enjoy the pics in my paper at this thread:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=49403

[/shamesless self-promotion]

WELCOME!!!

If you get into a tight spot and can't afford TAM 5, please look into the scholarship programs available.

farrisjs
20th January 2006, 01:59 PM
To be honest I could afford it and just don't know if I could of justified it.

Listening to intresting discussion during the day and partying with fellow skeptics at night.

Storm Warning
20th January 2006, 02:41 PM
To be honest I could afford it and just don't know if I could of justified it.

Listening to intresting discussion during the day and partying with fellow skeptics at night.

And the skepchicks . . . don't forget about the skepchicks.

Did I mention about the skepchicks? :)

Tony4245
20th January 2006, 06:26 PM
And the skepchicks . . . don't forget about the skepchicks.

Did I mention about the skepchicks? :)

No, but you can mention them again if you like...

Mmmm... brainy women... must have brainy women...

;-)

slickcat
20th January 2006, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone! I have been lurking for a few months and finally decided to take the plunge.

A little about me:

Agnostic since I can remember. Atheist for the last couple of years. I love my wife, kids, and riding motorcycles.

Looking forward to some spirited discourse, but take it easy because sum times my brane dusnt werk too good.

tim
21st January 2006, 03:22 AM
A warm welcome, slickcat........ jump right in there - we don't bite.

much.......:crc:

kmortis
21st January 2006, 06:32 AM
No, but you can mention them again if you like...

Mmmm... brainy women... must have brainy women...

;-)
Brains, body, both/Brains, body, both...

Storm Warning
21st January 2006, 01:34 PM
Brains, body, both/Brains, body, both...
[singing to the "Turtles" commercial tune]Skepchicks, Skepchicks yeah, yeah, yeah/Skepchicks Skepchicks ha ha ha/MMMM I love Skepchicks[/singing to the "Turtles" commercial tune]

Hindmost
21st January 2006, 04:19 PM
Wecome glenn, I'll add you to the posters list for TAM4 (we're well over 100 already :eye-poppi ..from Nuclear Engineer to Science teacher--that is quite an interesting career choice and one that will serve you well on this site.

Looking forward to your posts.

Thanks for the greeting...it has been an unusual trek...I need to get my posts above 15, soooooooooooo, some may be lacking a bit...like this one.

glenn:boxedin:

Darlon
22nd January 2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Darlon - better late than never. Welcome! Do you want to give us some details about yourself?

For starters, I live in Minnesota, not the best state in the country, but its home (as for the town I live in....lets just say that its officials have flipped their lids.)

I am mostly a computer geek, I won't deny that; but I don't spend all my life on computers either.

for the politics...I'm neither democrat or Liberal, I'm kinda in the middle, and I do NOT slam any party...I find going into a rage (I mean like "This is an outrage" etc. etc.)

note: I am not a very emotional person, so don't be surprised if my posts sound like I don't care even though I do care (did that come out right?).

I know thats a lot of parenthesis, but I do that to make sure theres no misunderstanding :).

AnotherSillyAlias
22nd January 2006, 06:50 PM
I know thats a lot of parenthesis, but I do that to make sure theres no misunderstanding :).

Welcome Darlon.

You have to leave some misunderstandings or it's going to make it difficult to violently disagree with something you say.

;)

Alliebubs
23rd January 2006, 07:23 AM
Hmm, I seem to have done this backwards, what with the posting in the TAM4 boards first but, hi everyone!

On my way to TAM4 in a few days with the boy. I am looking forward to the intellectual discussion that is certain to take place! Come on; Shermer, Dennet, Hitchens, and the Mythbusters?? Wonderful!

Hope to see some of you there!

Allison :)

P.S. Brainy broads are hot, indeed! ;)

Storm Warning
23rd January 2006, 02:56 PM
Hmm, I seem to have done this backwards, what with the posting in the TAM4 boards first but, hi everyone!

On my way to TAM4 in a few days with the boy. I am looking forward to the intellectual discussion that is certain to take place! Come on; Shermer, Dennet, Hitchens, and the Mythbusters?? Wonderful!

Brainy Toronto broads are especially hot . . . and RARE! :)

Oh, and welcome!

Ducky
23rd January 2006, 02:58 PM

Allie since you're in Toronto, I urge you to check out a fellow indie musician friend of mine:

www.emberswift.com

antihippy
24th January 2006, 05:23 AM
Hello from Scotland,

I'm relatively new to the boards, after lurking for a while. I'm not new to the work of James Randi who I came across after watching the [in?]famous debunking of Homeopathy on BBc2's Horizon a few years back.

I originally joined last August to rail at some creationists who had annoyed me on another forum by asserting that Hawking was a creationist as he used the word "God".

Alliebubs
24th January 2006, 09:30 AM
Brainy Toronto broads are especially hot . . . and RARE! :)

Oh, and welcome!

Rare? Just where are you finding these stupid Torontonians? ;)

And, thanks for the welcome!

Alliebubs
24th January 2006, 09:35 AM
Allie since you're in Toronto, I urge you to check out a fellow indie musician friend of mine:

www.emberswift.com

Will do. Indie rock, particularly that of the Toronto/Canada ilk, is near and dear to my heart. Heard of Bedouin Soundclash? They're pretty awesome, too. :) Arcade Fire is excellent too, and they're apparently getting quite a lot of press in the States.

What kind of music do you perform?

Oolon Colluphid
24th January 2006, 12:54 PM
Hi, all, just joined. Hope to join in when I've more time. Should be interesting!
Must say, I :dig: the smillie list!

Storm Warning
24th January 2006, 12:55 PM
Rare? Just where are you finding these stupid Torontonians? ;)

And, thanks for the welcome!
Welllllllll, not Torontonians per se...but I manage to run into a few every time I'm in Brampton...or Mississauga...or Scaryborough...or Richmond Hill...well, you get the idea. :D

Storm Warning
24th January 2006, 12:57 PM
Hello from Scotland,

I'm relatively new to the boards, after lurking for a while. I'm not new to the work of James Randi who I came across after watching the [in?]famous debunking of Homeopathy on BBc2's Horizon a few years back.

I originally joined last August to rail at some creationists who had annoyed me on another forum by asserting that Hawking was a creationist as he used the word "God".
Welcome anti! Using the above logic, I'm a creationist because I tend to use the word "Holy" a lot...as in "Holy Moly"!!!!! :)

Storm Warning
24th January 2006, 12:59 PM
Hi, all, just joined. Hope to join in when I've more time. Should be interesting!
Welcome Oolon! One thing you can be sure of. If nothing else, we are interesting. :)

Oolon Colluphid
24th January 2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome Oolon! One thing you can be sure of. If nothing else, we are interesting. :)

Well then, that'll work out just fine, as you see, it just so happens that I'm quite interested in interesting things. Isn't that interesting? Ah, maybe not, what do I know?

In any case, I thank you for the welcome. :) Hopefully I can at least afford everyone some measure of amusement, since I am imbued with the two qualities which should not (but almost always do) coexist within a single cranial cavity. I am both uneducated and highly opinionated. However, I'll just delude myself with the perception that "They're not laughing AT me, they're just laughing....for no particular reason....I think they're all bonkers!". :D

Cheers!

John A
24th January 2006, 03:12 PM
Hey,

Been reading the commentary for a few years - only just got round to registering . Might be a bit quiet though what with my thesis to write and all.

Yoroshiku!

Disco
24th January 2006, 03:52 PM

Hi, Oolon! Welcome to the monkey house...

:mrocks

Taking a break from IIDB?

MHB

AelictheMysticDruid
24th January 2006, 10:24 PM
How you all are? Joined 2 years ago but never consumated the relationship. It's 12:15, haven't packed, haven't told the ex-wife I'm goin' to TAM4 with my son. It's his second, my third. It's hot and humid here in Fla. Lookin' forward to cool and dry! C U in Sin City, YEEHAW!!!

Eos of the Eons
24th January 2006, 11:25 PM
Even though I hate you for being able to go to TAM, I must still say Welcome...because you have a cool name and all, and your son is clearly just as cool by association.

Pull a slot machine arm for me, k? And give Kittynh your winnings. I still figure I owe her :D

Oolon Colluphid
25th January 2006, 12:29 AM
Hi, Oolon! Welcome to the monkey house...

:mrocks

Taking a break from IIDB?

MHB

Thank you, ooh child! IIDB? You must have me confused with another Oolon Colluphid. It's rather a common name in some parts of the galaxy. In fact, I'd never even heard of IIDB until you mentioned it. I thought it was some sort of computer language/database until I 'googled' the net! D'oh! :monkey:

Ryan Fenton
25th January 2006, 08:13 AM
Hiya folks - new poster on this forum, who happens to be heading to TAM4 tomorrow! Over at InfidelGuy.com, I'm known as Testola.

:^)

Ryan Fenton

Disco
25th January 2006, 09:36 AM
Oops, Oolon, sOorry for the mix-up!

MHB

Oolon Colluphid
25th January 2006, 03:29 PM
Oops, Oolon, sOorry for the mix-up!

MHB

S'no big thing, ooh_child! I had a quick looksee at IIDB, and I'm not at all surprised that there's another OC there! :D

Dr Adequate
25th January 2006, 09:10 PM
I originally joined last August to rail at some creationists who had annoyed me on another forum by asserting that Hawking was a creationist as he used the word "God". I see we gave satisfaction (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1174690)

Imrational
25th January 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Brian. I'm a 35 year old male currently living in Las Vegas, where I work as an emergency room nurse. I'm planning on attending TAM4 this weekend.

I found this website in a rather round about way.

Born in New York, raised in Michigan. I was an self-professed agnostic since high school. About ten years ago, I was working in a city's Parks Department in southern Virginia. The bible-belt.

Not having grown up there, I was stunned at what I found. All but two people I met rejected evolution and many considered me an "evil atheist". I saw a person cross a street to spit on a Hindu friend of mine (he was considered a pagan). I was reprimanded for saying "evolution" in a public school during a natural science program. Co-workers did an "intervention" on me because I considered joining the local Society for Creative Anachronism (I was a juggler looking for other jugglers, but my co-workers consdiered the SCA satanic). I recommended "Asimov's Guide to the Bible" to a religious friend, and found out that the library book was later burned. There was much more.

Anyway, a local store near my home carried "The Skeptical Inquirer". It made the total irrationality of that world a little more bearable. It also helped move me away from previous flights of fantasy to a more skeptical world-view. I don't know who pushed to carry that magazine in that store, but they saved my mind.

I left Virginia and returned to Michigan. I got my nursing degree and started to try and help my fellow human beings. Along the way, I read many books. One being, The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. That converted me from agnosticism to atheism. The battle of Evolution versus ID (combined with what I saw in Virginia) made me switch to an antitheist.

Last year, I bought my first new computer in twenty years. I found the Atheist Network last spring... last week from that site I found Skepchicks... and from there I found your site! A site tied very closely to that little magazine I found tucked in a store in southern Virginia that helped me along on this mental journey.

Hopefully, I'll meet some of you at TAM4 this weekend!

tim
26th January 2006, 12:00 AM
Welcome indeed, Imrational!
You need never feel isolated again! :D
At TAM, you will have the time of your life! Make yourself known to other forumites - see the TAM picture thread, and post a picture there so people will recognise you. When you check in at TAM registration at the Startdust, most of the people there will be volunteers from the forum. Tell them who you are and that a) you're local and b) you're a new forum member, so be gentle!
Have a wonderful time - it will change your life, I promise!
Sadly I can't be there this year....... :(

Darlon
26th January 2006, 06:18 PM
Welcome Darlon.

You have to leave some misunderstandings or it's going to make it difficult to violently disagree with something you say.

;)

I love making things difficult :D

Basilio
27th January 2006, 12:12 PM
Happy Mozart's Birthday!
I've kind of lurked on JERF, reading for about 2 years, and now a couple of threads have spured me into registering. Im in Ann Arbor, Michigan, home of enlightened thought and new age/homeopathy crap! Passible math background, 20 years of microbiology, bacteriology, Electron Microscopy, and microscopy/photograpy. That is, when Im not running around singing light opera and such like. I envy everyone of you in Vegas:mad:

Look forward to great debate

mg (Basilio)

Storm Warning
27th January 2006, 12:26 PM
Welcome, Basilio!

C'mon over here (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=51081&page=3). We're having a bit of a party while everyone else is in Vegas. Try to not step on any wombats. :)

Blank
29th January 2006, 12:47 AM
Hello all. Been lurking the Jref boards for awhile after finding it thanks to doing some research on homeopathy and thanks to the sudden influx of the Pakistani homeo spam, I couldn't resist jumping into the fray and registering. I guess I have some masochistist tendensies and I like the idea of banging my head against the wall of ignorance those guys have set up.

I'm from Vantaa, Finland so my english might not be the best around here, so feel free to correct me if needed.

Currently working hard on my finals on chemistry, more accurately inorganic analysis of different elements in small quantities from different sample matrixes using appropriate methods. As for other fields of intrest, I have good understanding on different process designs and some practical math to go with it.

That's about it I guess.

tim
29th January 2006, 03:11 AM
Welcome Blank! I think we have around three or four posters here from Finland, including the legendary Pillory!
Your English seems pretty good to me - much better than my Finnish, anyway! :D

tim
29th January 2006, 03:12 AM
Welcome, Basilio!

C'mon over here (http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=51081&page=3). We're having a bit of a party while everyone else is in Vegas. Try to not step on any wombats. :)

Don't push your luck........:crc:

Nucular
29th January 2006, 04:22 AM
Thank you, ooh child! IIDB? You must have me confused with another Oolon Colluphid. It's rather a common name in some parts of the galaxy. In fact, I'd never even heard of IIDB until you mentioned it. I thought it was some sort of computer language/database until I 'googled' the net! D'oh! :monkey:
Hey Oolon - are you the same OC who used to post over at FaithForum?

WnWray
30th January 2006, 11:35 AM
Hi. Two nights ago, I sat down with great anticipation to watch What the Bleep Do We Know. I've just now stopped puking long enough to post here. Is it just me, or is that kind of crap becoming pandemic? I'm still reeling from the so-called intelligent design movement and its unintelligent designs on science and society.

I don't know how much I have to contribute here or how long I'll stay, but for now, I just need to wrap myself in the warm, fuzzy comforter of cold reality (:confused:). Thanks for being here.

shinsyotta
30th January 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone. I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Matt and I am a "Research Scientist" for a pharmaceuticals company in Fort Lauderdale. My girlfriend and I attended TAM 3 and TAM 4 (I was wearing the white hooded fleece/ Stewie for Family Guy tee). We thoroughly enjoyed both events, and intend to attend future events.
Anyway, long story short, I thought I'd become active in the forum.
The End.

Rodental
30th January 2006, 12:25 PM
Hello,

I am a dane with no real credentials as a sceptic, and I am somewhat new to being genuinely sceptic.

Also I've only really joined in order to check something relating to the challenge (it's kind of hard to find something without a search function), but I may stick around.

See you.

Darat
30th January 2006, 12:31 PM

TheChadd
30th January 2006, 05:28 PM
Hi, I am 'TheChadd' and I've been a long-time aussie lurker on these forums... Anyway I finally decided to join up and while my first application failed... I finally was accepted :)

I am a long time skeptic... perhaps since I was 10 and one time I was just sitting down and wondered about heaven (having recently found out that santa claus et al was not real) and I got really scared wondering whether heaven was real also, it didn't make sense even in my simple child mind. Now people seem to think this means that I am a non-creative, unimaginative person - this is far from the truth. I am actually (if i do say myself) quite creative, scoring very well in senior art at highschool... even having my highschool majorwork displayed in one of our country's greatest art galleries (AGNSW).

Anyway from this I think I developed a skeptic attitude about alot of things in life, often pissing off some of my less skeptical friends at the private christian school I attended (through no real intention of my own).

I am currently attending the University of Sydney... doing a BA in philosophy/sociology and Law. I love a good argument and look forward to alot of fun on these forums with you guys.

So there's my life's story... Don't hurt me too much I'm new :o

Xin
30th January 2006, 07:22 PM
Hello All!
I just got back from TAM-4 and I can't tell you how great it was to meet so many intelligent rational friendly people! It renews my "faith" in humanity.

A bit about me: (warning, I have a tendancy to ramble...)
I was raised by a fanatic christian for a father (who has greatly mellowed over the years) and a closet athiest for a mother. I have always had doubts about the biblical stories I was told (and by always I mean since I was "saved" at the age of ~5). Slowly, over the course of 30+ years I refused to agree with more and more of the religion I was fed as a child, until, Ta-DA! A truely born again athiest was born! And a skeptical one at that :D

So, now at 40 yrs old, I live in the heart of Jesus Land (Minnesota) with my Skeptical, Unsaved Wife and two cats. Here in jesus land it is not only ok to talk about religion at work, it is sometimes encouraged to try and "save" your coworkers. People who let it slip that they are not christians are sometimes even at risk of losing their jobs. I can't post links yet, but try doing a google on these words "minnesota witch pagan fired school bus" :-(
So, as a contract employee, where I do not enjoy the apparently toothless anti-discrimination employment laws, I can be let go without reason, and make an effort not get into the ever present religious discussions.

So again, I have to say how refreshing, relaxing, and invigorating (where's spell check when you need it) it was to attend TAM-4 and meet people who think for themselves.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Xin
aka "Not Jon"