PDA

View Full Version : The historic and original "Welcome new posters! Introduce yourselves here!" thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60

Tor_Hershman
4th September 2010, 09:48 AM
I will give James Randi ONE MILLION DOLLARS if he can disprove ALL accounts of the paranormal.

Say, shouldn't it be para-AVERAGE?

Howz 'bout, haunted fruit -pearanormal.

Sheeeeeeet.

Hey, if'in any of you mofos and/or fafos wanna view moi's REAL Bible Stories just do de google thingy.

Stay on groovin' safari,
:eek:Tor Hershman :eek:

Oh yeah, moi just noticed...if'in moi ever gets fifty posts I bez a showin' Grayman a lill' somethin' with glowin' eye avatars - OH YEAH!

llwyd
4th September 2010, 10:09 AM
Hello all!

Another newbie here, Helsinki calling. I spent much of the late summer battling WTC-conspiracists in a Finnish forum (now there's a whack-a-mole type of activity, but I was quite bored) and several links took me to very informative and high quality discussions on this forum. I would boast of being a very strong rationalist but might nevertheless appear bit wobbly here as I don't believe that scientific materialism - at least in very crude forms - is the best method to address all aspects of our experience of being in the world. (I guess this formulation already describes my approach...) In any case very nice to be here!

seewhatflows
4th September 2010, 10:38 AM
Hi, I'm new.

Er, I was told I would enjoy it here, so here I am.

I really enjoy crackpot theories, from masonic conspiracies to cryptozoology (especially those durned reptilians) to Christianity (although the whole kindness and charity thing gets a thumbs up from me.) Alien abduction isn't quite as amusing to me, but that's mostly because a lot of the time it seems those memories are cover-ups for traumatic experiences of sexual abuse.

I enjoy the fruits of modern medicine but trust the pharmaceutical industry about as far as I can throw it.

I guess you could say I'm a liberal. You could definitely say I'm a lady. Nevertheless, I live in Los Angeles, adore Nutella and despise injustice. It's nice to meet you all.

COLONEL
4th September 2010, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the three New NEWB's

Tor Hershman, Be very careful around the Grayman he is not to be taken lightly

Seewhatfollows sounds like you got it together and will fit right in.

llwyd I think you will find a few forums here that meet your needs

Now all of you may have a fresh glass of goats milk, a Grayman oatmeal cookie, a MINTIE , Take a rabbit and give it to the cook and to tell him how you want it .

amb
5th September 2010, 01:54 AM
Helpful hint. Tell the cook to roast rabbit in the wood fired oven with a couple of spuds to go with it. Cats can be eaten at any Vietnamese restaurant, therefore are not served here.

COLONEL
5th September 2010, 06:09 AM
Helpful hint. Tell the cook to roast rabbit in the wood fired oven with a couple of spuds to go with it. Cats can be eaten at any Vietnamese restaurant, therefore are not served here.
Yes ,but seeing as there is not a Vietnamese restaurant near by and cats are readily available , I thought I would look into an alternate meat source. besides it would be nice to be able to give some of our Vietnamese members something they like.

The Man
6th September 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello all!

Another newbie here, Helsinki calling. I spent much of the late summer battling WTC-conspiracists in a Finnish forum (now there's a whack-a-mole type of activity, but I was quite bored) and several links took me to very informative and high quality discussions on this forum. I would boast of being a very strong rationalist but might nevertheless appear bit wobbly here as I don't believe that scientific materialism - at least in very crude forms - is the best method to address all aspects of our experience of being in the world. (I guess this formulation already describes my approach...) In any case very nice to be here!

Welcome llwyd, so I guess even on a Finnish forum that nonsense doesn't, well, finish.

The Man
6th September 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi, I'm new.

Er, I was told I would enjoy it here, so here I am.

I really enjoy crackpot theories, from masonic conspiracies to cryptozoology (especially those durned reptilians) to Christianity (although the whole kindness and charity thing gets a thumbs up from me.) Alien abduction isn't quite as amusing to me, but that's mostly because a lot of the time it seems those memories are cover-ups for traumatic experiences of sexual abuse.

I enjoy the fruits of modern medicine but trust the pharmaceutical industry about as far as I can throw it.

I guess you could say I'm a liberal. You could definitely say I'm a lady. Nevertheless, I live in Los Angeles, adore Nutella and despise injustice. It's nice to meet you all.

Welcome seewhatflows, those shape shifting reptilians are one of my favorites. With the stickers on the backs of road signs telling you the way to the upcoming death camps a close second.

Have you ever seen this website?

http://educate-yourself.org/

Whenever I need a good laugh, it never fails to disappoint (at least me that is).

Welcome everyone.

Spoons
6th September 2010, 08:06 PM
Welcome seewhatflows, those shape shifting reptilians are one of my favorites. With the stickers on the backs of road signs telling you the way to the upcoming death camps a close second.
Same! I haven't seen mention of those army stickers on the back of road signs on the web for years though. Have people got stuck into them here before?

Anyway, welcome, seewhatflows!

seewhatflows
6th September 2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks!

http://educate-yourself.org/

Delightful!!!

I'm a big fan of Metatech. The protective prayers are amazing. (unfortunately I don't have linking privileges yet.)

Note: If you start doing this on a regular basis, the enemy will pour a lot of interference in your direction, trying to discourage you. God will sometimes allow this to make you a better soldier. The following are some of the things that have been sent to interfere with me. This list is not complete.

Shadows
Dampening Field
Spiders (These are not real spiders. They are alien beings that have been enslaved to do evil)
Force Field
Worm Holes
Blackness
Black Holes
Darkness
Alien Circuitry

Spoons
6th September 2010, 08:58 PM
Ah, this page (http://www.metatech.org/preventing_alien_abductions.html)...

Convincing stuff, innit?

The Man
7th September 2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks!

Delightful!!!

I'm a big fan of Metatech. The protective prayers are amazing. (unfortunately I don't have linking privileges yet.)

Don’t think I’ve seen that one.

Ah, this page (http://www.metatech.org/preventing_alien_abductions.html)...

Convincing stuff, innit?

Thanks

The enemy’s jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.
The enemy’s fractal jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.
The enemy’s reverse fractal jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.
The enemy’s living machine jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.
The enemy’s fractal living machine jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.
The enemy’s reverse fractal living machine jump gate technology will not function in this sealed off house.

Dang, I just hate when my reverse fractal living machine jump gate technology is on the fritz. Looks like I’ve got to spring for the double reverse factorial zombie machine jump in the line gate technology upgrade.

ETA:

“(Jump in de line, rock your body in time) OK, I believe you!
(Jump in de line, rock your body in time) Somebody, help me!
(Jump in de line, rock your body in time) OK, I believe you!
(Jump in de line, rock your body in time) Whooooa!”

The Man
7th September 2010, 04:36 PM
Same! I haven't seen mention of those army stickers on the back of road signs on the web for years though. Have people got stuck into them here before?

It was part of some discussion a couple of years ago, but unfortunately I just can’t remember the thread.

Spoons
7th September 2010, 07:58 PM
I'll get around to doing a search for it some time soon, I'm sure. If not in a spare moment at work, I should have net at home soon again anyway.

The Man
7th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Well I gave it a shot, hoping I would remember some thread title from that time but NSL. The record of my own posts do not go back that far. Good luck, if I can remember or find anything else I’ll PM you.

Spoons
7th September 2010, 08:26 PM
Is this one of them?

http://forums.randi.org/archive/index.php/t-86708.html

I remember a lot of chatter about them after the 9/11 stuff stirred up some fresh paranoia in the "open-minded" (or as I sometimes think of them, the hole-in-the-head crew).

Spoons
7th September 2010, 08:28 PM
TACMARS is one of the things to search for.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=174713
The above is one from May or so this year.

The Man
7th September 2010, 09:59 PM
Is this one of them?

http://forums.randi.org/archive/index.php/t-86708.html

I remember a lot of chatter about them after the 9/11 stuff stirred up some fresh paranoia in the "open-minded" (or as I sometimes think of them, the hole-in-the-head crew).

Could be, I remember posting on one such discussion after I joined, but just can’t remember.

TACMARS is one of the things to search for.

Thanks. What does that acronym stand for?

There Are Credulous Members Asserting Ridiculous ‘Stuff’?

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=174713
The above is one from May or so this year.

More recent then I had expected, though I don't dally much in the CT threads.

Spoons
7th September 2010, 10:06 PM
I think it's just short for Tactical Markings.

Putting it in allcaps makes it look threatening though, eh? Those dastardly reptillion overlords sure know their psychology.

They're on eof the more ridiculous of the conspiracies. Tags get used often for identification and tracking of products. Bolt that product down and it's clearly nefarious in nature.

Bell
7th September 2010, 10:15 PM
When I enter my address in Google Maps, a red pointer with an "A" appears over my house. What does it mean? :eek:

Spoons
7th September 2010, 10:18 PM
That's an 'A' standing for "An Enemy of the State". You've been warned, you might want some sturdy steel pants so that they can't... well... just get the pants.

The Man
7th September 2010, 10:27 PM
I think it's just short for Tactical Markings.

Putting it in allcaps makes it look threatening though, eh? Those dastardly reptillion overlords sure know their psychology.

They're on eof the more ridiculous of the conspiracies. Tags get used often for identification and tracking of products. Bolt that product down and it's clearly nefarious in nature.

Yep, but the product in this case “is made out of people”. Evidently to be herded off to the future soylent green (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green) factories.

Oh, and by the way welcome all new members, TO THE FUTURE OF FOOD. We’re running out of rabbits, you know.

COLONEL
8th September 2010, 07:12 AM
Oh, and by the way welcome all new members, TO THE FUTURE OF FOOD. We’re running out of rabbits, you know.
Thats why I have suggested using cats . there are just to many cats being allowed to run free .

amb
9th September 2010, 03:17 AM
What next, dogs?

COLONEL
9th September 2010, 03:34 AM
What next, dogs?
Hey you might be onto something there ;) Thats the good thing about this forum ,someone is always willing to come up with an idea or suggestion. :D

amb
9th September 2010, 04:03 AM
Keep you beady little eyes off my little girl, okay ? :p

COLONEL
9th September 2010, 07:09 AM
Keep you beady little eyes off my little girl, okay ? :p Well as long as you keep her on a leash and away from the cook .:D I was thinking something bigger with more meat anyways.

My eyes are blue and they are not beady

Bell
9th September 2010, 09:06 AM
Well as long as you keep her on a leash and away from the cook .:D I was thinking something bigger with more meat anyways.

You could use her as topping.

COLONEL
10th September 2010, 06:20 AM
You could use her as topping. yes I know, but that would only make AMB mad and I do not want that. besides I like AMB he is a decent chap,and look how small that dog is ,It's not worth the time or effort. That is why I said big dogs, like great danes ,mastifs, huskies,etc,etc,

Bythemark
11th September 2010, 09:46 PM
Hi all. I'm byth, well, sam, but I prefer byth online :p. I've been arguing/debating around the internet on science, explaining what abiogenesis, evolution, and cosmology were every place I went and got tired of it. I've been looking to find a forum with a) people with a basic grasp of logic and a decent understanding of science and b) more than a post a week. It took me a lot longer than it should have to find this place. I mean, come on, JREF. Duh.

Anyway, I make fractals and do homework, and that's about all I have time for anymore, and it's leaning towards homework. I'd give you a link to my deviantart for the fractals, but I read the notification thing.

amb
12th September 2010, 03:07 AM
And exactly what is wrong with JREF ? You do know it stands for James Randi Educational Foundation don't you? Anyway, you are in the right place to learn about a basic understanding of logic and rational thought. A warm welcome of course. :)

Bythemark
12th September 2010, 03:46 PM
:confused:
I said it took me too long to find the JREF forums, I didn't say anything negative about it at all...and I was already under the impression that I did have an understanding of those...but thanks for the welcome :p

Spoons
12th September 2010, 06:28 PM
Don't mind all that. We use confusion assessment measures to ensure the membership here is built on a stable framework of logic and acronyms.

By the by, fractals are awesome, are they not? If you're ever in the running for union leader I will consider joining the union and voting for you.

Welcome!

FattyCatty
12th September 2010, 06:47 PM
Hello. I'm new to forums and to skepticism. I joined JREF (after reading several threads) so that I could visit AAH and see Stray Cat's posters. So far in my forum exploration I have been astounded by much of what I've read.

Spoons
12th September 2010, 07:07 PM
Welcome, FattyCatty!

What's AAH, and what are these posters of Stray Cat's that you speak of? I am intrigued.

FattyCatty
12th September 2010, 07:22 PM
Spoons, AAH stands for Abandon All Hope, in the Members Only section. The posters I mentioned were in the UFO Evidence thread; unfortunately, I cannot locate that thread there now. Perhaps they only keep threads there for a limited time. You might find examples of Stray Cat's posters still in the the UFO Evidence thread in the Paranormal section.

Lolly
12th September 2010, 07:32 PM
Stray Cat's poster collection http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=168557&highlight=stray+cats+poster+collection

Spoons
12th September 2010, 07:33 PM
Ah, cool. Cheers! I'll go have a dig around.

Very cool posters, cheers Lolly!

COLONEL
13th September 2010, 05:46 AM
Stray Cat's poster collection http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=168557&highlight=stray+cats+poster+collection
When I first saw this ,I thought it was a forum about stray cats and that there might be a few good recipes involved :)

Spoons
13th September 2010, 04:58 PM
There is the recipe for madness contained within.

quadraginta
13th September 2010, 05:39 PM
There is the recipe for madness contained within.

That was last season. "Braised Chevon Medallions Garnished With Hamster".

We need something like "Fricasseed Roof Rabbit".

Bythemark
13th September 2010, 05:41 PM
Don't mind all that. We use confusion assessment measures to ensure the membership here is built on a stable framework of logic and acronyms.

By the by, fractals are awesome, are they not? If you're ever in the running for union leader I will consider joining the union and voting for you.

Welcome!

lol...

Yeah, thanks. I'll put the link in my sig asap, and then we can see my pretty (imo) pictors.

Spoons
13th September 2010, 05:45 PM
Fricassee is the coolest word.

Every chick and freak I see wants my chicken fricassee.

By the way, Bythemark, I'll be expecting that link in the next 10 or so posts. Must... have... fractals.

Bell
13th September 2010, 09:57 PM
Must... have... fractals.

This bears repeating.

quadraginta
13th September 2010, 10:08 PM
This bears repeating.

Man, we can't even get squared away on the cats and already you want bears.

COLONEL
14th September 2010, 04:31 AM
Man, we can't even get squared away on the cats and already you want bears.

There is just no pleasing some people

Bythemark
14th September 2010, 03:48 PM
If, um, you need me to make a fractal traced bear I'll gladly oblige...I should have at least one more fractal done by 15 posts, so you'll get whatever amount of fractals you thought of earlier +1.

Rowan Grigg
15th September 2010, 02:00 AM
Hello all!

Hi Llwyd,

look forward to hearing of your alternatives to "crude" scientific materialism, cheers

arthwollipot
15th September 2010, 02:16 AM
A Canberran!

Have you been to Skeptics in the Pub?

Bythemark
15th September 2010, 02:23 PM
A wild Canberran appears!

Have you been to Skeptics in the Pub?
fix'd

Anyway, no new fractal :(. No time anymore, but my old-ish ones are still there ;)

http://bythmark.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse

My newer ones tend to be better, but every now and then you'll see a good one in the old spots. Or you can just use the popular fractals folder :P

vonmazur
15th September 2010, 10:31 PM
Fellows: I came here to find out more about the rational mentation required to study the interesting cultural beliefs currently floating around the Net..I am appalled at UFOism, Abduction tales, and most if not all of the Conpiracy theories I have encountered lately.

Dale in Alabama

Spoons
15th September 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi Dale! Nice to see you swing by here. It's not a bad spot.

amb
16th September 2010, 04:17 AM
Yes, welcome Dale. The Colonel will be along shortly to take your order for rabbit fricassee or roasted hamster.

Tobysmall
16th September 2010, 02:00 PM
Hi! I'm Toby from Alberta, Canada. Been lurking here for awhile and have really enjoyed reading the [mostly] intelligent verbal jousting contained in these threads.

One could just about get lost in here.

Great forum. :)

Bythemark
16th September 2010, 09:06 PM
Welcome to the forums, fellow noob.;)

vonmazur
16th September 2010, 11:17 PM
Spoons: Thanks, I hope I can get along with these august intellects here.....

Dale

Yithmas
16th September 2010, 11:34 PM
Hello all,

I'm a lone skeptic from southern Germany (Augsburg). I have quite a colourful career regarding my spirituality.
I went from atheism to occultism to Wicca to rather fundamentalist Mormonism (the last two during my time in Nottingham, UK) and back to atheism.
I have to admit, though, that I am a fanatical Cthulhu-cultist and was rather annoyed when Brian Dunning analyzed the Bloop.
Which brings me to the reason why I am here:
A former colleague shared the Skeptoid podcast with me (after I told him that I had re-converted from Mormonism back to atheism) and I have been a subscriber ever since. This was in 2007. I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time in an on-and-off way for almost as long but only signed up yesterday.
That's the long and the short of it.
And just one additional info, why back to atheism: I've been interested in evolution ever since I was 4 or something (Dinosaurs!), I did severeal essays on it in high school (or rather Gymnasium, as it is called in Germany) and one day I had to decide: If humans evolved, than there was no Adam and Eve. If there was no Adam and Eve, there was no Fall from Grace and the whole thing comes apart.
Evidence trumps faith.

COLONEL
17th September 2010, 04:16 AM
Welcome NEWB'S I thought just for this weekend I would hand out the traditional Glass of Goats milk ,the Grayman Oatmeal cookie, the ever popular MINTIE and Drum roll please...................... you may take a CAT or two kittens your choice and have our Vietnamese cook prepare it/them for you :D Enjoy the Weekend

amb
17th September 2010, 04:47 AM
Sorry. I didn't realize the menu board had changed. Hamsters are out as are rabbits for the foreseeable future. :D

Patriots4Truth
17th September 2010, 07:12 AM
hello, I'm new here and I will be a threat to the real disinfoagents ;)

The Man
17th September 2010, 07:41 AM
hello, I'm new here and I will be a threat to the real disinfoagents ;)

Welcome, Patriots4Truth. Unfortunately, I can never remember which agency I’m really suppose to be shilling for, disinfo or datinfo.

The Man
17th September 2010, 07:51 AM
Hello all,

I'm a lone skeptic from southern Germany (Augsburg). I have quite a colourful career regarding my spirituality.
I went from atheism to occultism to Wicca to rather fundamentalist Mormonism (the last two during my time in Nottingham, UK) and back to atheism.
I have to admit, though, that I am a fanatical Cthulhu-cultist and was rather annoyed when Brian Dunning analyzed the Bloop.
A former colleague shared the Skeptoid podcast with me (after I told him that I had re-converted from Mormonism back to atheism) and I have been a subscriber ever since. This was in 2007. I have been lurking around this forum for quite some time in an on-and-off way for almost as long but only signed up yesterday.
And just one additional info, why back to atheism: I've been interested in evolution ever since I was 4 or something (Dinosaurs!), I did severeal essays on it in high school (or rather Gymnasium, as it is called in Germany) and one day I had to decide: If humans evolved, than there was no Adam and Eve. If there was no Adam and Eve, there was no Fall from Grace and the whole thing comes apart.
Evidence trumps faith.

Welcome Yithmas, looks like you’ve had the spiritualistic full monty. When you can strip off all the different clothing that’s when you see the real deal.

Welcome to everyone else as well.

Bell
17th September 2010, 03:05 PM
[...] Drum roll please...................... you may take a CAT or two kittens your choice and have our Vietnamese cook prepare it/them for you :D Enjoy the Weekend

This message is not approved by Bell.

CelticRose
17th September 2010, 08:36 PM
Spoons: Thanks, I hope I can get along with these august intellects here.....

Dale
We have intellects for every month of the year, in case you don't get along with the August ones.

Welcome NEWB'S I thought just for this weekend I would hand out the traditional Glass of Goats milk ,the Grayman Oatmeal cookie, the ever popular MINTIE and Drum roll please...................... you may take a CAT or two kittens your choice and have our Vietnamese cook prepare it/them for you :D Enjoy the Weekend
We're supposed to be welcoming the newbies, not scaring them away. Let's stick to hamsters or rabbits. Or maybe even gerbils, as long as Shemp hasn't been anywhere near them.

vonmazur
17th September 2010, 09:53 PM
Hello all,

Evidence trumps faith.

Ythmas; Gar keine probleme, Dieses pfad ist auch meines!

Verzeien Sir Mir meines schletes Deutsch, zeit 40 jahren beim Militaer!!

Grusse aus Alabama

Dale

amb
18th September 2010, 01:22 AM
Benvenuto vonmazur. Prego che ti trovi contendo qui.

COLONEL
18th September 2010, 01:47 PM

This message is not approved by Bell. Why ? Don't you like cats ?
You know what my bumper sticker says? Cat the other white meat. :D

Tulio
18th September 2010, 03:23 PM
Hi, Tulio, from Spain.

First, apologize for my poor English, which prevent me from posting in the forum. To read, my English is sufficient, but to write ... I'm afraid not (I'm using an automatic translator).

I just want to greet the members of this great forum. You have my admiration.

And also to remind you that many of us read this forum from many parts of the world, but not posted.

Keep you well.

A greeting ;)

Bell
18th September 2010, 03:49 PM
Hi, Tulio, from Spain.

First, apologize for my poor English, which prevent me from posting in the forum. To read, my English is sufficient, but to write ... I'm afraid not (I'm using an automatic translator).

I just want to greet the members of this great forum. You have my admiration.

And also to remind you that many of us read this forum from many parts of the world, but not posted.

Keep you well.

A greeting ;)

Welcome Tulio! How did you find this forum?

Please do post in this forum, even if you use a translator. The best way to teach yourself writing English is by doing it. And even if you make a mistake (which I do ever so often) nobody would mind. And we would be glad to help you.

AdMan
18th September 2010, 03:49 PM
Bienvenido, Tulio.

And a reminder that some of us speak Spanish too and can help with translations into English anytime, so don't let that stop you from posting. :)

Saludos.

Tulio
18th September 2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Bell and AdMan... But if I start to write in the forum ... I fear that someone might conclude that Martians are real!
No human could get to write English so badly!

Thanks again;). Perhaps, occasionally, write a post on time, before apologizing for my very very poor English.

Tulio
18th September 2010, 04:39 PM
Welcome Tulio! How did you find this forum?

Apologies, Bell, for not answering your question. Apologies also for my double post (what a way to start :().

I found the forum looking for information from ... 9 / 11. I participate in a Spanish forum where there are many "truthers" and sought to counter arguments.

I also participate regularly in threads against "Magufos" (magician + ufos believers) and what we call" Conspiranoicos "(Paranoid of Conspiracy people). UFO's, Nibiru, reptilian ... are "in vogue" in the Spanish internet :( .

vonmazur
18th September 2010, 08:39 PM
Bienvenido, Tulio.

And a reminder that some of us speak Spanish too and can help with translations into English anytime, so don't let that stop you from posting. :)

Saludos.

Saludos; Tulio, yo hablo Espanyol, un poquito tambien...Now if someone here knows how to get Umlauts and Tildes on a Dell...

Dale in AL

Foolmewunz
19th September 2010, 12:46 AM
Saludos; Tulio, yo hablo Espanyol, un poquito tambien...Now if someone here knows how to get Umlauts and Tildes on a Dell...

Dale in AL

Well, sure, but you need to go over to the Sports section and answer the most important question of the day, is The Crimson Tide for real?

Welcome newbies. We're open 24/7, everyone in the world can find someone on line here at any given hour to schmooze with, pick a fight, discuss the awesomeness of bacon, or just read your way through another four hundred pages of Bigfoot Am Real. A little something for everyone.

Bell
19th September 2010, 01:17 AM
Apologies, Bell, for not answering your question. Apologies also for my double post (what a way to start :().

I found the forum looking for information from ... 9 / 11. I participate in a Spanish forum where there are many "truthers" and sought to counter arguments.

I also participate regularly in threads against "Magufos" (magician + ufos believers) and what we call" Conspiranoicos "(Paranoid of Conspiracy people). UFO's, Nibiru, reptilian ... are "in vogue" in the Spanish internet :( .

Then you found the right place :)

If you need any specific information on 9/11 or other conspiracies, just post your question in the (9/11) conspiracy forum. There are a lot of smart people posting there :)

How is the Spanish truth movement doing? The American truth movement has nothing more to offer than WTC7 was a controlled demolition. No more mention of WTC1 and WTC2, the Pentagon, United 93 or cave patsies.

arthwollipot
19th September 2010, 04:40 AM
"Cave patsies"?

Never mind, I don't wannaknow.

Alan
19th September 2010, 05:37 AM
They are who cave conspiracy theorists loved to talk about.

COLONEL
19th September 2010, 08:09 AM
Welcome newbies. We're open 24/7, everyone in the world can find someone on line here at any given hour to schmooze with, pick a fight, discuss the awesomeness of bacon, or just read your way through another four hundred pages of Bigfoot Am Real. A little something for everyone.

You forgot to tell them the Kitchen is also open 24/7 and they can have all the goats milk and Cat meat that they want , the cats are breeding faster then the rabbits.

vonmazur
19th September 2010, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=Foolmewunz;6349196]Well, sure, but you need to go over to the Sports section and answer the most important question of the day, is The Crimson Tide for real? Foolmewunz: I do not know if they are for real, but they seem to be very good this year--Apologies to the non-US College Football fans, this is some kind of local religious cult activity!!

Dale
:confused:

Secular Humanist Guy
20th September 2010, 07:51 AM
Agnosticism is a hoax that secular humanism doesn't need. Cowardly agnosticism enables religion to continue as the greatest
cause of human misery. Religious clergy use its specious argument that we cannot disprove the existence of god. I've been
involved in secular humanism long enough to observe agnostics, thinking they are politically correct, protect religion from science
and the ridicule these religious frauds deserve.
I should not take credit for the phrase cowardly agnostic. That goes back 121 years. One the first to use it was W.H. Mallock.
He also authored articles, one in particular directed against Huxley's Agnosticism, entitled
"'Cowardly Agnosticism' A Word with Professor Huxley," in the April 1889 issue of The Fortnightly Review
Victor Stenger in God:The Failed Hypothesis- How Science Shows That God Not Exist only addresses the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God.
We need now only worry about this fake god who has been greatest cause of human misery in history. Agnostics can no longer hide from reality
Agnosticism is a specious and pointless stance. It is as scientific as Scientology. The argument from ignorance…is a logical fallacy
in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or is false only because it has not been proven true. (Wikipedia)
Agnosticism is wrong. Its founder,Thomas Huxley, was a Church going racist Christian. It has been called the philosophy of cowards. It protects
and justifies superstition. Agnostics are pseudo-intellectuals and their philosophy is based on pseudo-science.
So why do so many university professors and teachers identify themselves as agnostics?

TubbaBlubba
20th September 2010, 09:44 AM
Agnosticism is a hoax that secular humanism doesn't need. Cowardly agnosticism enables religion to continue as the greatest
cause of human misery. Religious clergy use its specious argument that we cannot disprove the existence of god. I've been
involved in secular humanism long enough to observe agnostics, thinking they are politically correct, protect religion from science
and the ridicule these religious frauds deserve.
I should not take credit for the phrase cowardly agnostic. That goes back 121 years. One the first to use it was W.H. Mallock.
He also authored articles, one in particular directed against Huxley's Agnosticism, entitled
"'Cowardly Agnosticism' A Word with Professor Huxley," in the April 1889 issue of The Fortnightly Review
Victor Stenger in God:The Failed Hypothesis- How Science Shows That God Not Exist only addresses the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God.
We need now only worry about this fake god who has been greatest cause of human misery in history. Agnostics can no longer hide from reality
Agnosticism is a specious and pointless stance. It is as scientific as Scientology. The argument from ignorance…is a logical fallacy
in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or is false only because it has not been proven true. (Wikipedia)
Agnosticism is wrong. Its founder,Thomas Huxley, was a Church going racist Christian. It has been called the philosophy of cowards. It protects
and justifies superstition. Agnostics are pseudo-intellectuals and their philosophy is based on pseudo-science.
So why do so many university professors and teachers identify themselves as agnostics?

Hello, may you be the kind of person who makes me slightly ashamed of being an atheist?

quadraginta
20th September 2010, 10:16 AM
<snip>

I don't know.

arthwollipot
20th September 2010, 10:44 PM
Because it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Welcome, SHG! :D

Spoons
20th September 2010, 11:28 PM
Hello, may you be the kind of person who makes me slightly ashamed of being an atheist?

I wouldn't let SHG make you feel ashamed.

To Secular Humanist Guy - Let people believe what they want, but don't let them use it as an excuse for behaving poorly. It's really as simple as that. Pushing people around for what they believe is as bad as puching people aroudnf or what you believe. Other than that, welcome.

arthwollipot
21st September 2010, 05:01 AM
Time for a thread about agnosticism?

amb
21st September 2010, 05:14 AM
I don't know.

Agnosticism is fence sitting, nothing more.:p

quadraginta
21st September 2010, 08:35 AM
Agnosticism is fence sitting, nothing more.:p

Your smilie is noted, and I accept the comment in the humorous vein that it was offered.

But on a more serious note I think that the last thing we should do as skeptics is criticize people for being willing to admit when they don't feel they have enough information to make a decision.

Right or wrong, whether we agree or not, being willing to admit uncertainty is far superior to adamantly taking a stance in the absence of evidence, especially when the subject is fundamentally unprovable to begin with.

In fact, that even sounds a little bit skeptical.

:)

TubbaBlubba
21st September 2010, 09:42 AM
Most of all I think agnostic is an overused term used in place of "I can't disprove God", when it'd be more appropriate to use it for "Well, I dunno, I'm not sure I believe in God, but it doesn't seem too strange if he'd exist either..."

Spoons
21st September 2010, 05:36 PM
Can someone post a link to the new agnosticism thread so we can leave it out of this one?

COLONEL
21st September 2010, 06:04 PM
Can someone post a link to the new agnosticism thread so we can leave it out of this one?
I'll do it for $1,000.00, cash up front only. :D

Spoons
21st September 2010, 09:47 PM
How about a dozen boiled kittens?

OlegTheBatty
21st September 2010, 09:53 PM
I'll do it for $1,000.00, cash up front only. :D

Well, no wonder you want a grand up front, with an ambiguous request like that.

Greetings all. My first post, so my existence can be noted. I'd share a photo of my lovely self, but the spell will have worn off by the time I am allowed to.

amb
22nd September 2010, 03:20 AM
Welcome Batty! I hope you've patted the goat on your way in. It gets very moody and won't give any milk when it feels ignored.

COLONEL
22nd September 2010, 04:32 AM
How about a dozen boiled kittens? Are you offering them or is that what you want the cook to do for you. It might be a little hard if you want them, after all you are not really a NEWB any more. But I guess we could do it just this once.

hcmom
22nd September 2010, 11:47 AM
Are you offering them or is that what you want the cook to do for you. It might be a little hard if you want them, after all you are not really a NEWB any more. But I guess we could do it just this once.

Don'tcha know, all cooking is to be done in the mayday threads.

COLONEL
22nd September 2010, 06:37 PM
Don'tcha know, all cooking is to be done in the mayday threads.
No body told me they moved the kitchen

Spoons
22nd September 2010, 07:42 PM
I wasn't asking for them, it was an offer... payment in kind. I always keep a few in the backpack. Boiled lollies stick together, and cash loses value too quickly due to inflation.

The effects of inflation on a boiled kitteh are something else.

quadraginta
22nd September 2010, 08:07 PM
I wasn't asking for them, it was an offer... payment in kind. I always keep a few in the backpack. Boiled lollies stick together, and cash loses value too quickly due to inflation.

The effects of inflation on a boiled kitteh are something else.

You shouldn't disparage our Lolly (http://forums.randi.org/member.php?u=32941) so casually.

The threat of the Vampire Bat Zombie Monster Dog :eek: is not one to be taken lightly.

Especially if you live anywhere near Perth ...

Oh.

My.

:(

Do you have any next of kin we should notify?

Spoons
22nd September 2010, 09:34 PM
Yikes, I need to come up with some snappy last words. Like... um... I better get out of town for the weekend til this dies down.

Abstract Floral
23rd September 2010, 07:12 AM
Hi I'm Melissa and a lifelong sceptic, except for the time I saw bigfoot but that turned out to be just my heavily bearded uncle smoking pot in the woods.

TubbaBlubba
23rd September 2010, 07:45 AM
Hi I'm Melissa and a lifelong sceptic, except for the time I saw bigfoot but that turned out to be just my heavily bearded uncle smoking pot in the woods.

We've all been through that one.

AdMan
23rd September 2010, 08:42 AM
LOL too funny. :D Welcome!

COLONEL
23rd September 2010, 10:30 AM
I fear that someone might conclude that Martians are real!
No human could get to write English so badly!

Want to bet ? if it were not for spell check and a few other things .My writing would be worse then it is.

By the way Welcome

mactonite
23rd September 2010, 03:44 PM

Welcome!

longpath
24th September 2010, 02:55 AM
Greetings! I have visited here from time to time and always found the discourse lively and educational.

I've always been a fan of critical thinking and I keep the batteries in my woo meter fully charged at all times. I have a pretty high tolerance for peoples spiritual beliefs unless they feel the need to witness, prosthletize or make me cook something vegan just for them rather than eating the nice spit-grilled lamb I just slaved over.

I work with electronics and dabble in radio as a hobby. The other day, a friend sent me a link to a video on Facebook. He wanted to know: "Where can I buy one of these meters shown in this video?" It was a "news" story warning of the health dangers of using Compact Flourescent lamps (dirty electricity and such). I know all about how they can mess up my shortwave radio but I'm more than a little dubious about claims that they can effect blood sugar levels and og knows what else.

Even more disturbing was how fast a bit of the google found me at a site where I could buy a device which would save me from these horrors.

I probably offended my friend by dismissing the whole thing as load of old cobblers. I need to hone my debating skillz. This seems like a good place to pick up some pointers!

amb
24th September 2010, 03:11 AM
Welcome longpath! Yes, I'm sure you will be right at home here.

GracefullyTalentless
26th September 2010, 05:23 AM
Good afternoon,

Or if you believe it's any other time of the day - good whatever you believe.

I've been a reader of the forum for a bit, decided to register. The name's Tom, by the way. I'm hopelessly skeptical.

COLONEL
27th September 2010, 09:05 AM
Good afternoon,

Or if you believe it's any other time of the day - good whatever you believe.

I've been a reader of the forum for a bit, decided to register. The name's Tom, by the way. I'm hopelessly skeptical.
Welcome Tom, now Grab a cat before they are gone and have the cook prepare it for you.

GracefullyTalentless
27th September 2010, 09:06 AM
But there's so many to choose from...

EnglishmanSR6
27th September 2010, 04:15 PM
(Edited for a typo)

Hello!

I'm a skeptic looking for somewhere to talk with like-minded individuals - this is the perfect place.

A brief (and possibly dull) story as to why I am here: My upbringing was de facto secular. My mother was Christian in name only (I don't think she's attended Church except for weddings etc, or read anything from a Bible, since I was born). My step-dad was an atheist, my Dad is a natural cynic who considers the claims of woos to be self-evidently ridiculous.

As a child I was massively interested and convinced by everything from UFOs to ghosts and psychics. I naturally grew out of this during adolesence, basically as soon as I developed some intellectual maturity. I considered myself an atheist by around 13yo, and expressed this openly.

I honed my skeptic-head from around 16yo. I devoured the archives of Randi's weekly commentaries. In college (the English variety for 16-18 year olds) I studied physics, maths, chemistry and biology, and studied physics (all too) briefly at Durham university. I've been inspired by the works of Dawkins, Stephen Fry (The Hippopotamus, for example), Derren Brown and of course James Randi, to name but a few. I'm also a huge fan of the comedian Dara O'Brien, who has some fantastic material from an atheist/skeptic viewpoint that is very much worth looking out for.

Thanks for those of you that have reached the end of this post. I hope you'll agree I'll be able to find a lot of like-minded souls here with whom to share animated discussion.

Al.

grayman
27th September 2010, 05:45 PM
...Thanks for those of you that have reached the end of this post. I hope you'll agree I'll be able to find a lot of like-minded souls here with whom to share animated discussion...

Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!

Bell
27th September 2010, 09:59 PM

:hit:

TubbaBlubba
28th September 2010, 01:33 AM
Well, you sound like a jolly fellow all right. Welcome!

slideruleuser
28th September 2010, 05:22 PM
Hi everybody. I am Jorge Alzate, from Medellín, Colombia.
In my country is really hard to find another sceptics (because the people's strong religious nature), not to mention that if you find a agnostic/atheistic group, often these are directed by "comunists" (read à la Hugo Chavez likeness) and conspirationists (i.e. 911 deniers, Amero and global domination theorists, etc.)

So if you live in the nearby fell free to contact me (even more if you are a sceptic girl ;) )

cheers!

COLONEL
29th September 2010, 09:56 AM

:hit:

This is what I do to people that pick on my little brother The Grayman

http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley030.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=150#) http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley032.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=150#) http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley014.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=100#)

Bell
29th September 2010, 02:00 PM
This is what I do to people that pick on my little brother The Grayman

http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley030.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=150#) http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley032.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=150#) http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/images/smilies/prsmiley014.gif (http://crapmods.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=92&start=100#)

Apologize, mister! Or I'm going to tell LibraryLady!

Spoons
29th September 2010, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the forum slideruleuser!

Sounds like you've cut through a fog of ignorance in your locality to make it here - congrats! Hope you enjoy the site. Someone will be along shortly to offer you some dodgy meat. (That's not a euphemism, it's more likely rabbit or some other rat-like creature. Just accept it in a grateful fashion, it's like eating tho hosts bad potato salad. ;))

danrush
29th September 2010, 05:59 PM
Hello,

My name is Dan, I'm a retired 1st class petty officer from the U.S. Navy. I have 25 years experiance with Non-Destructive Inspection both military aviation and commercial. I have two BA from Embrey Riddle Aeronautical University in Washington State in Metallurgy and Aviation Safety. I currently work for a ship maintenance facility in Puget Sound.

My hobbies are Japanese military history, Pacific War history WWII, Asian military history and U.S. Naval history. I also study Kendo, Bushido and Akido.

I'm married to a wonderful woman and appreciate the retirement awarded to me each month by my fellow Americans, I continue to do my service to my country to show my appreciation.

The reason I joined this forum? Well.....these "people" who continue to push this notion that September 11th 2001 was a conspiracy. To me they're no better than the people who've spent almost 50 years exploiting the murder of John F Kennedy for profit...pointing at such luminant idiots as Jim Mars and the late moron Jim Garrison.

September 11th touched my family deeply. My older brother Steven was working for CDI Demolitions of Ohio ten blocks from the WTC when the attack took place. He was lucky to escape the collapse of the South Tower and went on to work in "The Pile" till March 2002. Steven was never the same man after that. He died in his sleep in 2004 from heart failure brought about by his addiction to black tar heroin.

And so I bring my years of experiance in both aircraft and metalurgy to support the fight to clear our country of these ignorant and often racist fools who's only idea of "truth" is to degrade, bash and destroy the country they live in and give aid and comfort to her enemies and the enemies of freedom.

I hope to give clear, simplistic explainations that people can use against these idiots, a sort of "9/11 combat jutsu" to make people think insted of parrot the ideals of morons, idiots and traitors.

Besides that, I'm hoping to be allowed to exist in this forum. It seems all the 9/11 truth forums don't like me very well.

Signed

Dan Rush
USN ret

FattyCatty
29th September 2010, 06:33 PM
Go Navy! :D

Bell
29th September 2010, 09:38 PM
September 11th touched my family deeply. My older brother Steven was working for CDI Demolitions of Ohio ten blocks from the WTC when the attack took place. He was lucky to escape the collapse of the South Tower and went on to work in "The Pile" till March 2002. Steven was never the same man after that. He died in his sleep in 2004 from heart failure brought about by his addiction to black tar heroin.

Sorry to hear that. Was his addiction a result of working in The Pile?

I hope to give clear, simplistic explainations that people can use against these idiots, a sort of "9/11 combat jutsu" to make people think insted of parrot the ideals of morons, idiots and traitors.

Oh well, one can always hope :) Don't expect the crazies to accept your explanations, though.

It seems all the 9/11 truth forums don't like me very well.

Hooyah! :D

Spoons
29th September 2010, 10:21 PM
Sorry to hear that.
Ditto, very sorry to hear of that.

Oh well, one can always hope :) Don't expect the crazies to accept your explanations, though.
Yeah, you can't rationalise with the irrational. You might reach a few people though, so I guess it's worth it if it doesn't suck up too much of your energy.

Good luck!

aussiethinker22
30th September 2010, 06:31 PM
Mid thirties Queenslander. glad to be aboard, looking forward to things here at the forums. :)

Spoons
30th September 2010, 07:00 PM
Mid thirties Queenslander. glad to be aboard, looking forward to things here at the forums. :)

Welcome aussiethinker22! Nice to see a banana-bender here.

Yithmas
1st October 2010, 02:53 AM
Ythmas; Gar keine probleme, Dieses pfad ist auch meines!

Verzeien Sir Mir meines schletes Deutsch, zeit 40 jahren beim Militaer!!

Grusse aus Alabama

Dale

Thanks Dale. That's actually a first. I never received greetings from Alabama before.:D

:D Wait... Do you mean you are related to Bigfoot? Awesome!

A very warm welcome everybody!

COLONEL
1st October 2010, 08:15 AM
Apologize, mister! Or I'm going to tell LibraryLady!
Go ahead and tell her. :D

grayman
1st October 2010, 09:44 AM
Go ahead and tell her. :D

I've met LL, you don't want to mess with her. :boxedin:

JihadJane
1st October 2010, 05:53 PM
I hope to give clear, simplistic explainations...

You are succeeding already!

Death to Islamo-fascist pinky leftist terrorist apologists!

Simplistic: The tendency to oversimplify an issue or a problem by ignoring complexities or complications.

prewitt86
1st October 2010, 06:38 PM
I've been here for four years without posting, so I guess it's time to start participating. I'm prewitt86... Not to be confused with my brother prewitt81. Chicken Pot Pie is my mother. *Waves like a dork* HI MOM!

I am an Atheist, bordering on non-theist. I'm a Taurus... or is it Gemini? ...Not sure really. I'll let them sort that out. :biggrin: I refuse to believe anything not based on reason, logic, or provable through science... except for maybe the Sasquatch. I really "feel" that Jack Black is a reliable source.

While I don't believe in the supernatural, I do parade around in a Ghostbusters uniform from time to time. I'm just starting out, but I work (free of charge) local charity events, dressed as a Ghostbuster, in order to draw in a crowd. If you want to know more about that, just click my name, and go to my homepage.

Also, I'd really love to change my screen name, to clear up any confusion between me and prewitt86.

arthwollipot
2nd October 2010, 12:12 AM
Hey roomie!

grayman
2nd October 2010, 01:34 AM
Also, I'd really love to change my screen name, to clear up any confusion between me and prewitt86.

Understandable.

prewitt86
2nd October 2010, 05:30 AM
Understandable.

DOH! *Facepalm* I meant between me and my brother prewitt81. :blush:

The Man
3rd October 2010, 08:15 AM
Hello,

My name is Dan, I'm a retired 1st class petty officer from the U.S. Navy. I have 25 years experiance with Non-Destructive Inspection both military aviation and commercial. I have two BA from Embrey Riddle Aeronautical University in Washington State in Metallurgy and Aviation Safety. I currently work for a ship maintenance facility in Puget Sound.

My hobbies are Japanese military history, Pacific War history WWII, Asian military history and U.S. Naval history. I also study Kendo, Bushido and Akido.

I'm married to a wonderful woman and appreciate the retirement awarded to me each month by my fellow Americans, I continue to do my service to my country to show my appreciation.

The reason I joined this forum? Well.....these "people" who continue to push this notion that September 11th 2001 was a conspiracy. To me they're no better than the people who've spent almost 50 years exploiting the murder of John F Kennedy for profit...pointing at such luminant idiots as Jim Mars and the late moron Jim Garrison.

And so I bring my years of experiance in both aircraft and metalurgy to support the fight to clear our country of these ignorant and often racist fools who's only idea of "truth" is to degrade, bash and destroy the country they live in and give aid and comfort to her enemies and the enemies of freedom.

Besides that, I'm hoping to be allowed to exist in this forum. It seems all the 9/11 truth forums don't like me very well.

Signed

Dan Rush
USN ret

Welcome Dan, from another Dan. Though the time I spent in inspection testing (in an engineering laboratory) was predominantly of the destructive type (the testing that is, not the time).

I too am sorry to hear of such a tragic event in your family and wish you the best of luck on this forum and in your endeavors.

Dan “The Man”

Welcome, everyone else as well.

COLONEL
3rd October 2010, 11:49 AM
I've met LL, you don't want to mess with her. :boxedin: Well hopefully she will understand that I was just sticking up for you .

Bell
3rd October 2010, 12:08 PM
Well hopefully she will understand that I was just sticking up for you .

Why can't we all be friends? :hug7

Roadtoad
3rd October 2010, 12:25 PM
Why can't we all be friends? :hug7

liq_wYFkMoU

Raleigh Marsden
3rd October 2010, 01:05 PM
Hi I just joined. I'm Raleigh Marsden, and I'm a panentheist. I believe in intelligent design and evolution.

Foolmewunz
3rd October 2010, 03:52 PM

There seems to be an underlying assumption in your screen name that there are somehow 21 other Aussie thinkers.

Evidence?

Foolmewunz
3rd October 2010, 04:01 PM
I've been here for four years without posting, so I guess it's time to start participating. I'm prewitt86... Not to be confused with my brother prewitt81. Chicken Pot Pie is my mother. *Waves like a dork* HI MOM!

I am an Atheist, bordering on non-theist. I'm a Taurus... or is it Gemini? ...Not sure really. I'll let them sort that out. :biggrin: I refuse to believe anything not based on reason, logic, or provable through science... except for maybe the Sasquatch. I really "feel" that Jack Black is a reliable source.

While I don't believe in the supernatural, I do parade around in a Ghostbusters uniform from time to time. I'm just starting out, but I work (free of charge) local charity events, dressed as a Ghostbuster, in order to draw in a crowd. If you want to know more about that, just click my name, and go to my homepage.

Nice to see you. Good pedigree. Chicken Pot Pie is one of the good 'uns! Welcome aboard.

I think Prewitt84 is still available. That'd clear up any confusion.

Seriously, a PM to our super-friendly Administrators* should get that taken care of. "Darat" or "Lisa Simpson" can arrange to change your name for you.

*Lesson 6 in the Users Guide: Never miss a chance to suck up to the Powers That Be.

grayman
3rd October 2010, 08:57 PM
Nice to see you. Good pedigree. Chicken Pot Pie is one of the good 'uns! Welcome aboard.

Seriously, a PM to our super-friendly Administrators* should get that taken care of. "Darat" or "Lisa Simpson" can arrange to change your name for you.

May I suggest "Chicken Pot Spawn"?

Percent
4th October 2010, 01:31 AM
Hi,

I'm Anne and I'm a forum virgin--not just to this forum but to any forum, ever. Please be gentle. Or not. :covereyes I think it is time I joined a lively exchange of some sort and the kind of discussions I find here are in line with my sensibilities. I thoroughly enjoy knocking down woo. Mocking down woo?

I majored in pure mathematics in college, then completed my Ph.D. in cognitive psychology/cognitive science. (The degree Michael Shermer holds.)

My username here is an homage to my 18 year-old cat, Percent, who has seen me through much. She is ever skeptical, ever playful, and ever patient. I'd like to see her live on in a place like this.

I should add that I've been a registered "Bright" for many years. I do, however, have a "closeted" supernatural belief: Wrigley Field is enchanted and The Cubs will one day win The World Series. There, I've come out with it! :)

Anne

Spoons
4th October 2010, 04:34 AM
Welcome Anne / Percent!

They're a weird bunch here, but that's not such a bad thing. Enjoy your time here!

amb
4th October 2010, 04:39 AM
A warm welcome Anne. I'll have you know I'm the forum psychic, okay? Now, how do you want your hamster or rabbit cooked? Have you returned all your overdue library books?
By the way, if you see a goat wandering along, just pat it, as it's the forum mascot.
Now, go and enjoy yourself in the many threads and subjects. :)

Spoons
4th October 2010, 05:11 AM
Bah, the real forum psychic doesn't ask. The real forum psychic cooked the meal ahead of time, ready for your arrival. amb is one of the weird ones I was talking about. Right amb? ;)

Rowan Grigg
4th October 2010, 05:18 AM

Hello Aussiethinker22!

Rowan Grigg
4th October 2010, 05:26 AM
I majored in pure mathematics in college, then completed my Ph.D. in cognitive psychology/cognitive science. (The degree Michael Shermer holds.)

Welcome Anne, but I have to admit I always go to the skepic first in SA every month to see what utter tripe dear Michael throws up, and then I look at that photo of his and think about simply bitch-slapping him. Poor bloke, if you read his story, he grew up with all that is the very worst in USA style evangelism. He had to get out.

Rowan Grigg
4th October 2010, 05:31 AM
Hi I just joined. I'm Raleigh Marsden, and I'm a panentheist. I believe in intelligent design and evolution.

Hi Raleigh, welcome, remind me which particular nuance is panentheism? Rowan

amb
4th October 2010, 05:45 AM
Bah, the real forum psychic doesn't ask. The real forum psychic cooked the meal ahead of time, ready for your arrival. amb is one of the weird ones I was talking about. Right amb? ;)
A good psychic gets all his/hers info by asking questions. :p

Spoons
4th October 2010, 05:54 AM
Ah, warm reading?

Skeeve
4th October 2010, 09:54 AM
Must have overlooked this forum.

Hi.

I'm Skeeve from atheiststoday dot com

Gay atheist living in Oklahoma...U.S. Army vet, jack-of-all-trades, currently managing a convenience store.

Roadtoad
4th October 2010, 09:57 AM

Hi.

Gay atheist living in Oklahoma...U.S. Army vet, jack-of-all-trades, currently managing a convenience store.

Welcome, Skeeve. Spend your time hanging out with Perver-... Err... Pervects?

obiewan
4th October 2010, 09:58 AM
Hey,this looks like it could be very interesting.

Bell
4th October 2010, 10:52 AM

Hi.

Atheist AND gay? God Fred Phelps really must hate you! :p

Welcome to the forums Skeeve! :)

Percent
4th October 2010, 01:57 PM
Welcome Anne / Percent!

They're a weird bunch here, but that's not such a bad thing. Enjoy your time here!

Not a bad thing, at all. Thank you for the welcome! I see a hamster in my future...

Percent
4th October 2010, 02:14 PM
A warm welcome Anne. I'll have you know I'm the forum psychic, okay? Now, how do you want your hamster or rabbit cooked? Have you returned all your overdue library books?
By the way, if you see a goat wandering along, just pat it, as it's the forum mascot.
Now, go and enjoy yourself in the many threads and subjects. :)

Hi Amb! My hamster! Oh goody! Ah, the forum psychic should know that an 18 year-old cat would love to her hamster or rabbit alive and frisky :)! I feel officially welcomed that I now have my hamster. Thank you so much.

Lucky for me I've never had an overdue library book in my life, though I've checked out hundreds. I hope The Library Lady takes a cotton to me. I love you Library Lady! At least I think your shoe is hot/sexy, in a no-nonsense kind of way, of course...

Now, as for that goat. Hmm. We Cubs fans have an issue with goats! Cubs fans get a bit nervous when we see goats. (The Cubs have an infamous goat curse on them.) Perhaps I can make friends with our goat and get him to have some influence over Wrigley? I might need your psychic services come next baseball season.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Anne

Percent
4th October 2010, 02:27 PM
Welcome Anne, but I have to admit I always go to the skepic first in SA every month to see what utter tripe dear Michael throws up, and then I look at that photo of his and think about simply bitch-slapping him. Poor bloke, if you read his story, he grew up with all that is the very worst in USA style evangelism. He had to get out.

Hi. Thanks for the welcome. Welcome right back at you!

So, not a big fan of Shermer? I'm not that up on Shermer's life story. I too, read his column in SA when I grab one from the pile on the couch. Check out his TED lectures. They are excellent. I also recommend How We Believe as a book on religion that is palatable to people you would never dare gift with The God Delusion.

I live in Orange County California so I'm "behind the Orange Curtain", as we say. It is very Evangelical here and "creepy". Outside of UCI, you don't find much enlightened talk.

Hope to see you around. Did you enjoy your hamster and cookie?

Anne

Chicken Pot Pie
4th October 2010, 11:36 PM

Hi there, one of my sons (I have so many!) :) <3 ;) :hug3:

Hey roomie!

Great times, great times... :)

Understandable.

(He gets that from me... ) :blush:

DOH! *Facepalm* I meant between me and my brother prewitt81. :blush:

See!

*Lesson 6 in the Users Guide: Never miss a chance to suck up to the Powers That Be.

You are too kind, dear friend! There is a prewitt84, he just goes by a different nick and hasn't posted in a long time, but he's the one who gave me my first and only grandchild, and she drives a mean Escalade! Thanks for all your kind workds for my son and good advice, too!

May I suggest "Chicken Pot Spawn"?

Cheeky!

I love this place!

Skeeve
5th October 2010, 03:10 AM
Welcome, Skeeve. Spend your time hanging out with Perver-... Err... Pervects?

There is always someone who goes that route. :D

arthwollipot
5th October 2010, 05:36 AM
Welcome, Skeeve. Spend your time hanging out with Perver-... Err... Pervects?There is always someone who goes that route. :DWell, let's hope you're not a trollop.

Spoons
5th October 2010, 06:36 AM
Something in here is pungent.

grayman
5th October 2010, 07:41 AM
I'm prewitt86... Not to be confused with my brother prewitt81.

Hi there, one of my sons (I have so many!)...

At least 84 others we reckon...

Chicken Pot Pie
5th October 2010, 08:48 PM
just 4 from my body and chris who we adopted at age seven. He drowned 5 years ago at the age if 14.

Spoons
5th October 2010, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear that.

UnrepentantSinner
6th October 2010, 12:26 AM
Now, as for that goat. Hmm. We Cubs fans have an issue with goats! Cubs fans get a bit nervous when we see goats. (The Cubs have an infamous goat curse on them.) Perhaps I can make friends with our goat and get him to have some influence over Wrigley? I might need your psychic services come next baseball season.

I saw webpage where a guy posted a challenge to prove he wasn't an atheist. He was wearing a Cubs cap and that was all the evidence I needed. :D

Percent
6th October 2010, 05:27 AM
I saw webpage where a guy posted a challenge to prove he wasn't an atheist. He was wearing a Cubs cap and that was all the evidence I needed. :D

Touche.

I see from the MLB thread that you are a Rangers fan, and I love your link to The Taxonomy of Woo. However, something was missing from that taxonomy: The Pseudosport of American League Baseball :D.

Yeah, we Cubs fans are ever the faithful bunch. Please forgive me, the newbie, for taking a potshot at your AL :). Maybe it is that darn goat! I must find the forum goat and make my peace. Sigh.

Anne

amused
6th October 2010, 08:30 AM
I fell in thru the coal chute and got lost in the basement, so don't worry about all that noise down there. Where are the stairs?

Thanks Lisa!

COLONEL
6th October 2010, 09:18 AM
I fell in thru the coal chute and got lost in the basement, so don't worry about all that noise down there. Where are the stairs?

Thanks Lisa!
I've got some bad news for you , that was not a coal chute and we do not have a basement . all I can say is get out of there quick . before we start err umm, well just get out. Use the ladder in the right hand corner I will see to it that the access door is open for you to get out. then have a glass of Goats milk and welcome to the forum

Bell
6th October 2010, 09:27 AM
I've got some bad news for you , that was not a coal chute and we do not have a basement . all I can say is get out of there quick . before we start err umm, well just get out. Use the ladder in the right hand corner I will see to it that the access door is open for you to get out. then have a glass of Goats milk and welcome to the forum

*Rubs tummy*

That was some heavy dining...

*Grabs newspaper and box of matches*

Chopstick
6th October 2010, 11:10 AM
Hi, I'm chopstick, a nickname given to me by my girlfriend, who obviously finds me buff and manly.

I'm here for a few reasons- For the past 3-4 years, the time I have come into my own as a skeptic, I have lived in either foreign countries, or pretty conservative areas in the US, and I have found that the lack of a physical skeptical community makes even an introvert like myself pretty lonesome. More than intellectual stimulation, I'd like a community, support, like-minded primates to dance around the fire with. The only fellow skeptic I really know, besides my girlfriend, lives states and states away. It would be good to have more people to relate to on a deeper level.

My family is religious, and my brother, who is by many accounts smarter than I am, is profoundly Catholic. This frustrates and annoys me, and at the same time I am jealous of his pre-existing in-group that he can go to for moral support. I also find his arguments catch me flat-footed, or factually unprepared, and so I'm hoping some smart people here can help me delve into his claims.

I'm pretty naive when it comes to online forum type deals, but so far what I see is promising, and I hope to spend a little more time on here to learn the ropes. I hope I've come to the right place!

amused
6th October 2010, 12:33 PM
*Rubs tummy*

That was some heavy dining...

*Grabs newspaper and box of matches*

Hey! What happened to my left foot?!?!?

Now I'm gonna have to clone ANOTHER one! :p

Skeeve
6th October 2010, 01:52 PM
Hiya Chopstick, looks like you you have come to the right place.

Percent
6th October 2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Chopstick. I am looking for what you are looking for and am equally naive about forums, online communication, message boards, and the like. So far everyone has been kind :).

If you haven't read Dawkin's The God Delusion that can give you some easy insight into how your family has come to be as they are.

PBS/NOVA put on an excellent three-part series The Human Spark this last January which is available on line. Of course I'm too newbie to post a link, but just Google Human Spark NOVA. It covers the course of human evolution and through this, and other things, explains how we are "natural conspiracy theorists" (to the extent that we often conjure up a supernatural agent to explain natural phenomenon).

Welcome,
Anne

Chopstick
6th October 2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome Anne! If you liked The God Delusion's portion on the roots of God-belief, I'd definitely recommend Pascal Boyer's Religion Explained. I feel like it is more in depth and measured. (I'll have to scan the forum to see what people thought of those two books).

At the same time, I'm really careful to come to any conclusions as to why my family, or any religious person believes as they do. I don't want theists drawing unfounded conclusions about why I don't believe- as the book 'Faith of the Fatherless: The Psychology of Atheism' does.

I'll have to check out that PBS doc too. I'm a big fan of Nova. Thanks for the tip! See you on the boards.

Spoons
6th October 2010, 09:10 PM
Welcome Chopstick!

You should start a thread listing all the claims your brother makes and we'll see if we can't help you put him on the back foot. ;)

amb
7th October 2010, 04:05 AM
So many new members. So little hamsters and rabbits to go around. Will you newbies mind very much if we serve you pidgins instead?

Lolly
7th October 2010, 04:24 AM
How about you give them a salad sandwich and lay off the animal cruelty????!

:p

TubbaBlubba
7th October 2010, 11:26 AM

:p

What, you endorse systematic plant cruelty? You heartless bastard!

julius
7th October 2010, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone, I am "Julius" from the Netherlands. I am an active member of a Dutch forum with a lot of religious members and I am trying to (kind of politely) confront people with the craziness of some of their religious statements. I found this forum through my usual Dutch hangout, because it was mentioned there and I read a great thread here on "how the LHC is helping humanity", so I decided to register.

mactonite
7th October 2010, 04:34 PM
Please disregard this post

amb
8th October 2010, 04:36 AM
Hi Julius! Any relation to Caesar?

arthwollipot
8th October 2010, 04:39 AM

:pSalad... salad... Oh! Yes. That's the stuff that food eats.

Lolly
8th October 2010, 05:08 AM
Well, I'd like to welcome everyone and offer salad sandwiches. You can have your condiment of choice, mayonnaise, Branston pickle, fruit chutney, corn relish, whatever you like. Then you can have a chocolate. Then you can play with the bunnies and hamsters.

julius
8th October 2010, 06:31 AM
Hi Julius! Any relation to Caesar?

Yeah, he was my granddaddy. Unfortunately not much of his empire was left when I inherited it, so I just bought myself an apartment in Amsterdam and forgot about it.

julius
8th October 2010, 06:33 AM
Well, I'd like to welcome everyone and offer salad sandwiches. You can have your condiment of choice, mayonnaise, Branston pickle, fruit chutney, corn relish, whatever you like. Then you can have a chocolate. Then you can play with the bunnies and hamsters.

Salad sandwich? However tempting I think I prefer something more McDonaldsy.

Bell
8th October 2010, 01:57 PM
Salad sandwich? However tempting I think I prefer something more McDonaldsy.

In just three post you went from new, to interesting, to bad. MacDonalds? Bah! Burger King is the best! :p

Tenzij je een hekel hebt aan de duiven boven je tafel op Centraal Station :)

COLONEL
8th October 2010, 02:26 PM

:p PETA = People Eating Tasty Animals

I like a good steak salad my self :D

COLONEL
8th October 2010, 02:29 PM
In just three post you went from new, to interesting, to bad. MacDonalds? Bah! Burger King is the best! :p

I prefer Burger King over Micky D's, But for a good burger I always liked Hardee's charcoal broild. I found a few of them on my way out west when I went to see the Grayman

Buckyball
8th October 2010, 09:21 PM
Hello All!

I spent so much time on the JREF website that I absolutely had to join.

In short, the efforts embodied by JREF are among the most noble, pure, and positive efforts for humanity's well-being that exist. Of course, we need to eat , have shelter, etc. The mission of JREF ranks among these noble pursuits. I look forward to browsing the comments of the members here, and I will spread the word.

See you soon!

SusanB-M1
8th October 2010, 11:27 PM
Chopstick and Percent

I know what you mean about not having the answers and arguments at your fingertips. I have learnt so much from JREF. However, I have also learnt much from the BBC Christian Topic message board where posters such as Leonard James - short, concise answers full of common sense - and bluehillside - an excellent rational debater, who will often drop in the question of how can he know that the conjectures people make about belief, faith etc are different from guesswork.

BBC Christian Topic message board (http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbreligion/F2213235) I am SusanDoris there, by the way.

And of course, may I add my welcome to all the new members... and mention that the tap-shoed feet are not mine.:)

Bell
9th October 2010, 02:23 AM
And of course, may I add my welcome to all the new members... and mention that the tap-shoed feet are not mine.:)

Those are transplants?

julius
9th October 2010, 03:27 AM

Burger King or McDonalds, the eternal question. I prefer Maccy D, I just love that unchallenging taste of warm fat and salt and their Chicken nuggets are way better than anything Burger King has ever done to a chicken.

En ze zitten inderdaad altijd op het station en dat eet gewoon niet lekker :p

COLONEL
9th October 2010, 03:36 AM
A warm welcome to all you NewB's out there.Have a glass of our fresh Goats milk, a Grayman oatmeal cookie,a MINTIE and seeing as we are low on Hamsters and Rabbits ,we are serving up Roo meat for the next few days . just tell our chef how you want your Roo meat prepared.

Percent
9th October 2010, 03:45 AM
Thank you, Susan.

I'll look back to see how you answer Bell re: the transplanted feetsies :).

I'm fortunate that none of my immediate family is religious. I think religion was like sex to my parents: it was there, it happened, it had its place and time, but you didn't discuss it at the dinner table or in public.

Again, thanks for the links.

Oh, and thank you Chopstick for the Pascal Pascal Boyer's Religion Explained recommendation. It looks promising and right up my alley.

Anne

P.S. Percent is still playing with her live hamster :D

Lolly
9th October 2010, 04:00 AM
P.S. Percent is still playing with her live hamster :DHooray for Percent!

COLONEL
9th October 2010, 06:29 AM
P.S. Percent is still playing with her live hamster :D

Stop playing with your food, kill & Grill it.As my mom used to say ,there are people starving in this world and you just sit there playing with your food :)

SusanB-M1
10th October 2010, 12:21 AM
Thank you, Susan.

I'll look back to see how you answer Bell re: the transplanted feetsies :).
I'm afraid I'm no good at witty replies!! :) I really admire others' ability to do them!

Percent
10th October 2010, 04:22 AM
I'm afraid I'm no good at witty replies!! :) I really admire others' ability to do them!
Ah, but you are skilled at the art of the tap dance. Equally important, no?

Percent
10th October 2010, 04:35 AM
Hooray for Percent!

We are tuckered out from hamster frolicking and would like our salad sandwiches with fruit chutney now please :). Thanks Lolly!

Stop playing with your food, kill & Grill it.As my mom used to say ,there are people starving in this world and you just sit there playing with your food :)

The food rather enjoys it! If it pleases you, Colonel, we will have a glass of goat's milk with our salad sandwich. We will share the milk with the roos :).

Bell
10th October 2010, 04:49 AM

Tapdancing can get you out of all kind of sticky situations.

Lolly
10th October 2010, 04:57 AM
Tapdancing can get you out of all kind of sticky situations.Or get you into one - if you fall into the sink. Boom-tish!

One salad sandwich with fruit chutney coming up.

SusanB-M1
10th October 2010, 09:54 AM
Ah yes, most definitely! It is such fun and it's impossible to come out of an hour's tap dancing without a smiling face.

In July, the local Humanist group I belong to had a meeting where members did a little turn - reciting poems etc; so I performd three short tap dances! I wrote this to go with them:

Our Av'rage age is 71
We tap each week and have such fun,
But don't aim for perfection!
We learn to work in counts of eight
And, though we never demonstrate,
Today is an exception!

We do the 'Advanced' syllabus actually, plus lots of other routines! I run the group because (a) I have the keys to the studio, (b) the music and (c) I'm the only one who can remember all the steps! This doesn't mean I get them all right, I hasten to add!

Soapy Sam
11th October 2010, 03:55 AM
Ah yes, most definitely! It is such fun and it's impossible to come out of an hour's tap dancing without a smiling face.This is not correct.
Especially if
a) You have arthritic knees like mine.
b) You have been dancing anywhere within 3 metres of my feet - as you now have no toes left.

amb
11th October 2010, 05:47 AM
The burgers are better at Hungry Jacks! [Burger King to our American friends]

Bell
11th October 2010, 07:46 AM
Let's not forget breakfast at Whammy Burger.

COLONEL
11th October 2010, 09:09 AM
Let's not forget breakfast at Whammy Burger.
I've never heard of them

Bell
11th October 2010, 09:20 AM
I've never heard of them

L8HOaB1fOqA

COLONEL
11th October 2010, 09:35 AM
Thanks Bell ! I remember that movie too

SusanB-M1
11th October 2010, 12:32 PM
This is not correct.
Especially if
a) You have arthritic knees like mine.
:) Sorry to hear about the arthritis though.
b) You have been dancing anywhere within 3 metres of my feet - as you now have no toes left.
:D:D However, in tap, we each have our own space so, although there are occasionally near-collisions if someone goes left instead of right, most of the time we're okay!!

Milbrandt
12th October 2010, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone!
My name is Milbrandt (not really, but it is here), I am 25 years old and from The Netherlands (those are true). I am glad to be able to say I've become a skeptic. I guess I always was, but never really a conscious one. When seeing James Randi explaining the cold reading done by Char Margolis on Dutch television, I became interested in all the woo-woo there is, and the explanations for it.
After watching tonnes of videos of Randi, Penn and Teller, and other people I need not tell you about, I decided to join the forum here. There aren't that many people I know who are as curious and skeptic as I am (although I do try to spark their interest for it, with some success), so it's good to see so many like-minded people here.
Not only am I interested in the woo-woo stuff, it can also really piss me off, especially all the kinds of quackery there is out there.
I have this feeling I should do something about it, but I don't really know how, or where to begin. There's just so much woo-woo out there and so little people who openly doubt it. I'm not asking you to tell me what or how to do something about it, but maybe by following the topics here and contributing to them, I can begin to figure it out. And if not, well then at least I hope I'll have a good time here.

Bell
12th October 2010, 12:14 PM
Yay! More Dutchies to counter the Aussies! :D

Welcome Milbrandt! Do you happen to know of any good Derek Ogilvie debunk video? And do you have a link to a Char debunk video? Thanks!

Milbrandt
12th October 2010, 01:10 PM
Are there a lot of Aussies here then? The more international the better I'd say.

The video of Char I was talking about is this one, it's mostly in Dutch: (Note 1)

As for the "baby whisperer" Derek Ogilvie, he actually took on the million dollar challenge and, needless to say, failed (sorry for spoiling :P): (Note 2)

Also, Wendy van Dijk fooled Ogilvie in thinking she was someone else (twice!), dressed up as Ushi and as Dushi. As a psychic you'd think he'd notice something was wrong, but he didn't. I guess he can always say he didn't notice because she's too old, as he only reads babies minds. But he clearly didn't like to be fooled, judging from the reaction when he found out: (Note 3)

Notes: Oops! I had to take out the URLs, as I can't post them yet. Just search in youtube:
Note 1: "De trucs van Char"
Note 2: "Million dollar mind reader"
Note 3: "Ushi Ogilvie"

Bell
12th October 2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Milbrandt. I'll watch them tonight when I get home from work.

Ushi is great by the way :)

arthwollipot
13th October 2010, 02:40 AM
Are there a lot of Aussies here then?Uh... no. No, there's hardly any of us, uh, I mean them... here. Hardly any at all, actually. Um...
:scarper:

Spoons
13th October 2010, 06:14 AM
You hold 'im down, Arth, I'll play the wobble-board.

Lolly
13th October 2010, 06:23 AM
You hold 'im down, Arth, I'll play the wobble-board.

or live up to your name and do a "Spoons" Perry?

Jtyq1ebADFI

Sideroxylon
13th October 2010, 06:27 AM
I am an undercover Aussie. :cool:

Spoons
13th October 2010, 06:42 AM
or live up to your name and do a "Spoons" Perry?

Actually, this is the spoonmaster that inspired my name. Used to watch it in Trinidad. Never seen the show in Australia.

iRe161Tld9A&feature=related

Bell
13th October 2010, 09:12 AM
Goddamn Aussies*

* Orphia Nay not include :p

Lolly
13th October 2010, 07:09 PM
* Orphia Nay and Lolly not included :p
ftfy

Spoons
13th October 2010, 09:01 PM
I'm sure that's what Bell meant. I hear you're not to be crossed, Lolly.

Bell
14th October 2010, 02:34 AM
lol :)

Ehvan
14th October 2010, 04:05 AM
Hiya, I'm obviously a newbie to the forum and actually to the field of scepticism as a whole. I think all my life I've probably had these leanings but it's only been the last few months that I've actually realised this; possibly as a reaction to the father being a bit of a crazy new age type chap after being a fairly vocal atheist in his youth and being somewhat annoyed at his assertions that a cold is caused by spiritual strife.

Hopefully this place will help me find the best pace to fit in, and have a lot of fun to boot.

Milbrandt
14th October 2010, 10:16 AM
Welcome Ehvan, another newbie here. I also had to discover my skeptic side, as for most (all) of us. Everybody has their own reasons/causes for it.
A vocal atheist? Does that mean he doesn't speak of god? :D
Many people who don't believe in god still believe in other strange stuff (woo-woo). I know many people who do so, some of which I even consider very smart.

COLONEL
14th October 2010, 10:26 AM
Wow look at all the NEWB'S that are showing up . Welcome to you all. Have the traditional Glass of Goats milk the famous Grayman oatmeal cookie and a MINTIE. Grab a hamster or Rabbit or a cat and tell the cook how you would like it cooked . Have a Great day and again Welcome to the FORUM

Milbrandt
14th October 2010, 10:42 AM
No more roo meat?
I had it once, it tasted good, though it was a bit rare. I'll have it medium well this time please.
If not, I'll have a well done cat.

COLONEL
14th October 2010, 01:39 PM
No more roo meat?
I had it once, it tasted good, though it was a bit rare. I'll have it medium well this time please.
If not, I'll have a well done cat. Sorry I only serve Roo on special ocasion, I must admit is is better tasting then Ostrich.

Ehvan
14th October 2010, 02:12 PM
I'll have the hamster thanks, I'll lob it in with my pet rats and they'll nom away most likely.

Welcome Ehvan, another newbie here. I also had to discover my skeptic side, as for most (all) of us. Everybody has their own reasons/causes for it.
A vocal atheist? Does that mean he doesn't speak of god? :D
Many people who don't believe in god still believe in other strange stuff (woo-woo). I know many people who do so, some of which I even consider very smart.

He spoke a lot of his disbelief in God, I suppose I worded it badly. :D My mother was a Catholic at the time and tried to teach me, but thankfully he stopped that happening. Fun thing is, he's always referring to "you atheists" whenever he sees Richard Dawkins doing something, and forgets that he still doesn't believe in any deity. Oy. People eh?

credico
14th October 2010, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone!

laddsy
14th October 2010, 08:17 PM
Another Aussie here :D

Anyway I am 33 years old, married and have 2 girls aged 2 & 4. I only became a skeptic after joining this site a few days ago. I have always been a big believer in all the woo woo. Not anymore though lol

Sideroxylon
14th October 2010, 11:28 PM
Another Aussie here :D

Anyway I am 33 years old, married and have 2 girls aged 2 & 4. I only became a skeptic after joining this site a few days ago. I have always been a big believer in all the woo woo. Not anymore though lol

G'day, mate. :) So what was the clincher?

Chopstick
15th October 2010, 02:50 AM
Oh, and thank you Chopstick for the Pascal Pascal Boyer's Religion Explained recommendation. It looks promising and right up my alley.

Wow, cool! That makes me glad. Only on the JREF forums would anyone accept a book recommendation from me. I hope you like the book! Let me know what you think of it.

amb
15th October 2010, 03:54 AM
Welcome all newbies. May I make another suggestion on a good book to read and come to realise that the whole babble is nothing but a collection of myths, legends and some good poetry.

"The Bible Unearthed written by archeologists in an easy to read format that if anyone is still a believer by the last page, then they haven't paid attention to the text. :)

Percent
15th October 2010, 06:26 AM
Oh dear. Now Colonel is offering up cats too? Where's Lolly with a ready supply of salad sandwiches when we need them? (B/c surely there would be takers...ahem...) Lolly, help!

Hi everybody! Remember that playing with one's food is a good thing :D.

Lolly
15th October 2010, 06:47 AM
There's salad for any new member who wants it.

Chopstick
15th October 2010, 08:36 AM
"The Bible Unearthed written by archeologists in an easy to read format that if anyone is still a believer by the last page, then they haven't paid attention to the text. :)

Sounds like a good book. I'll add it to the list. Anyone else have good recommendations?

Chopstick
15th October 2010, 08:37 AM
Ah, I just read Mistake Were Made by Carol Tavris and I found that amazing. Should be included in skepticism 101.

AdMan
15th October 2010, 08:54 AM
Ah, I just read Mistake Were Made by Carol Tavris and I found that amazing. Should be included in skepticism 101.

Thanks for recommending that. I am a fan of Carol Tavris. I'm sending the free sample to my Kindle now to check it out.

grayman
15th October 2010, 09:32 AM
I've always liked One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr.Seuss

COLONEL
15th October 2010, 01:29 PM
There's salad for any new member who wants it. Who wants salad when you can have juicy BBQ Rabbit ? I know we can give the salad to the rabbits to fatten them up

Lolly
15th October 2010, 06:45 PM
Nobody should eat the bunny rabbits, cats or hamsters. The salad is for the people.

COLONEL
15th October 2010, 08:14 PM
Nobody should eat the bunny rabbits, cats or hamsters. The salad is for the people.
Well if its chicken salad or Tuna salad that would be ok

Lolly
15th October 2010, 09:00 PM
I'll make a nice salade nicoise. How's that?

arthwollipot
17th October 2010, 03:31 AM
No more roo meat?
I had it once, it tasted good, though it was a bit rare. I'll have it medium well this time please.No. You don't want to do that. Roo is VERY lean - with only 1.3g total fat per 100g. Overcook it and it becomes dry and leathery.

amb
17th October 2010, 04:44 AM
Correct. Roo steaks should be nice and thick with the middle still pink at most, and some blood with it to taste great. Otherwise, stick to chicken or something.

Percent
17th October 2010, 05:44 AM
I've always liked One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish by Dr.Seuss

I'm afraid Grayman will be offering up green eggs and ham.

amb
17th October 2010, 05:49 AM
Better stick to rabbit and hamsters I think.

Milbrandt
17th October 2010, 06:38 AM
No. You don't want to do that. Roo is VERY lean - with only 1.3g total fat per 100g. Overcook it and it becomes dry and leathery.

I didn't know that. I think I'll stick to the chicken then, as I'm no fan of red meat.
Is this a welcome topic or a culinary one by the way?
For all the new members there is now not only Aussie food, but also Dutch cuisine. There's boerenkool met rookworst, hachee, Edammer cheese, Gouda cheese and of course a nice cold glass of jenever to go with that.

Tero
17th October 2010, 07:00 AM
Hello. Can someone point me to the FAQ for purring in the avatar? I don't need one, but I have always had one. Elsewhere.

Lolly
17th October 2010, 07:06 AM
Tero, here you go - but you can't add an avatar until you've posted 50 posts:http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=45299

Lisa Simpson
17th October 2010, 07:07 AM
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=62307

You need 50 posts.

Tero
17th October 2010, 07:19 AM
Yeah, thanks. I found it under Help.

I could post a link to my old avatar, but I may not post links either.