PDA

View Full Version : The Next Time Someone Calls You A Fatass...

BPSCG
28th November 2005, 12:50 PM
In the stupidest item of the day (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyid=2005-11-28T185012Z_01_MOL867559_RTRUKOC_0_US-BUTTOCKS.xml&rpc=22)...
CHICAGO (Reuters) - Fatter rear ends are causing many drug injections to miss their mark, requiring longer needles to reach buttock muscle, researchers said on Monday.

Standard-sized needles failed to reach the buttock muscle in 23 out of 25 women whose rears were examined after what was supposed to be an intramuscular injection of a drug.

Jocko
28th November 2005, 01:20 PM
In the stupidest item of the day (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=healthNews&storyid=2005-11-28T185012Z_01_MOL867559_RTRUKOC_0_US-BUTTOCKS.xml&rpc=22)...

Speaking as one who rides the Chicago et train to work every day, where the size of seats has not kept pace with spreading ass mass, let me assure you that injection efficacy is the least of our problems here.

Wanna get those innoculations into some of these people? Just put it on a friggin' cheesesteak sandwich. It'll get where it needs to go.

CapelDodger
28th November 2005, 05:19 PM
Speaking as one who rides the Chicago et train to work every day, where the size of seats has not kept pace with spreading ass mass, let me assure you that injection efficacy is the least of our problems here.
I was thinking much the same in the local market yesterday. There's the pre-Xmas crowd, of course, but the sheer volume it takes up these days is amazing. I blame phone-in pizza - which I once regarded as one of the few unnalloyed good things to come out of the US.

And then there's the footprint of their baby-buggies, which seems to have followed the 4x4 trajectory - perhaps because fathers feel they should be more involved these days, and latch onto the the things with wheels. (If nappies had wheels, mothers in general would have less to complain about.) Fat people with their fat babies in monstrous buggies. Ugh! I don't think I'll be going again until January.

Zep
28th November 2005, 06:00 PM
Hey, that's MY fat ass you're talking about!

Sheesh...

RandFan
28th November 2005, 06:10 PM
:dl:

I resemble that remark.

CapelDodger
28th November 2005, 06:19 PM
The first time anyone calls me a fatass I'll be requiring an explanation. Just so fatasses out there realise I don't share there pain.

CFLarsen
29th November 2005, 12:26 AM
:dl:

I resemble that remark.

You what?? :D

Boo
29th November 2005, 04:35 AM
Actually from a medical point of view it's a valid topic. Many drugs that are injected intramuscular are toxic to adipose (fatty) tissue. If you've ever seen and smelled necrotic fat tissue, it ain't pretty, not to mention with all that extra fat to eat through the care required to treat is going to be very expensive and the patient, still needs to be treated for the original complaint.

Then there is the whole issue of approaching a patient with a two to three inch needle, no matter how thin, and they are going to freak.

I am soooo glad I don't do that anymore.

Boo

El Greco
29th November 2005, 04:50 AM
I have proposed a new way of administering injections, namely a gun like the one they use to anesthetize rhinos. It's fast, guaranteed to reach the muscle, safe for all and in fact less painful than normal injections. I can't understand why people scowl at me everytime I explain the benefits of the new method.

Zep
29th November 2005, 05:17 AM
Actually from a medical point of view it's a valid topic. Many drugs that are injected intramuscular are toxic to adipose (fatty) tissue. If you've ever seen and smelled necrotic fat tissue, it ain't pretty, not to mention with all that extra fat to eat through the care required to treat is going to be very expensive and the patient, still needs to be treated for the original complaint.

Then there is the whole issue of approaching a patient with a two to three inch needle, no matter how thin, and they are going to freak.

I am soooo glad I don't do that anymore.

BooCan't they pick a place with no fat on it much BESIDES the ass? I'd vote for calf muscles myself. Even total lard-asses* have reasonable calf muscles.

*Two kegs stacked on top of two lots of two smaller kegs.

BPSCG
29th November 2005, 06:29 AM
Can't they pick a place with no fat on it much BESIDES the ass? I'd vote for calf muscles myself. Even total lard-asses* have reasonable calf muscles.

*Two kegs stacked on top of two lots of two smaller kegs.I was wondering the same thing. Deltoid, biceps, triceps, tongue.

Okay, maybe not the tongue...

bzimmer4
29th November 2005, 07:22 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Deltoid, biceps, triceps, tongue.

Okay, maybe not the tongue...

Yes, this isn't really news. The problem was described decades ago, and we don't inject into the butt much anymore. Larger injections go into the antero-lateral thigh (vastus lateralis), smaller injections usually into the deltoid. Also, the sciatic nerve runs through the butt, which is another reason we stopped using it.

Actually, the tongue is a very good muscle; very high blood flow, which produces rapid absorption and a fast effect. We occasionally use it in unconscious patients (painful!) when we don't have an IV yet. You don't stick it in the mouth (dirty!), but from the outside just above the hyoid bone (the highest "hard" structure you can feel in the neck, above the larynx).

BZ MD.

RandFan
29th November 2005, 08:01 AM
You what?? :D

"I resemble that remark" is an intentional pun made famous by the incomparable Groucho Marx

http://troyano.com/marxmadera/img/art_entregroucho2.jpg

Mark
29th November 2005, 08:08 AM
"I resemble that remark" is an intentional pun made famous by the incomparable Groucho Marx

http://troyano.com/marxmadera/img/art_entregroucho2.jpg

I believe Curly Howard may have said it first.