PDA

View Full Version : A thoughtful read on Leaving Iraq

Hutch
8th December 2005, 01:22 PM
http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/display.cfm?PubID=627

Found this based on an Opinion piece in the paper. It was written by two authors, Andrew Terrill and Conrad Crane and has as it's official title "Precedents, Variables and Options in Planning a U.S. Military Disengagement Strategy from Iraq"

These two, according to the Opinion piece--from Kevin Horrigan of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, BTW, had predicted in a February 2003 paper that the US would meet an armed resistance, problems in establishing an Iraqi Government, and "urgently warned against disbanding the Iraqi Army". Offhand, they hit it closer that Rummy and Wofowitz did.

Take the time to read it all--about 45 pages in Adode .pdf format. It has areas that will upset anti-war (they are adamantly against and timetable) and pro-war (we may have to settle for less than a democracy and hope for the best) folks, but it is one of the better treatments of the overall picture that I have read. Heavily footnoted and very quotable, but I'll let you add your choice bits

Recommended before getting into withdrawal debates.

rikzilla
8th December 2005, 01:55 PM
http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pubs/display.cfm?PubID=627

Found this based on an Opinion piece in the paper. It was written by two authors, Andrew Terrill and Conrad Crane and has as it's official title "Precedents, Variables and Options in Planning a U.S. Military Disengagement Strategy from Iraq"

These two, according to the Opinion piece--from Kevin Horrigan of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, BTW, had predicted in a February 2003 paper that the US would meet an armed resistance, problems in establishing an Iraqi Government, and "urgently warned against disbanding the Iraqi Army". Offhand, they hit it closer that Rummy and Wofowitz did.

Take the time to read it all--about 45 pages in Adode .pdf format. It has areas that will upset anti-war (they are adamantly against and timetable) and pro-war (we may have to settle for less than a democracy and hope for the best) folks, but it is one of the better treatments of the overall picture that I have read. Heavily footnoted and very quotable, but I'll let you add your choice bits

Recommended before getting into withdrawal debates.

Thanks man...looks like good stuff. I'm checking it out...

-z