PDA

View Full Version : Heating foil trick question

jgawne
31st March 2006, 07:25 AM
ON another board a question was asked:

"somebody there is seeing a healer who can heal almost anything, including cancer.

Now that person described to me how the healer takes a piece of silver foil, some water and wraps it in a towel. He then uses his "magic" to heat it up. The first thing I thought is what's on the foil, or in the water. Anybody got an idea of what you could put in there to cause a towel to heat up ? "

So while I assume its the treated tin foil trick- does it ring true that the towell is used in this- probably to protect the hands?

Babylon Sister
31st March 2006, 08:19 AM
Perhaps the towel is already warm/hot? Wraping the towel around itself would keep the heat in and heat the foil. At least momentarily. The foil itself doesn't retain heat very well.

Maybe it feels warm/hot because of the contact with the body?

Hagrok
31st March 2006, 08:26 AM
What's the "it" you're referring to, the water, the towel, or the foil?

Bob Klase
31st March 2006, 08:32 AM
This is a very old magic trick. The heat is caused by a chemical reaction that results from combining the aluminum foil, water, and a small amount of a very poisonous powder. The powder used to be sold by magic shops, but you'd have a hard time finding now. Most quit selling 10-15 years ago because of the poison.

So while I assume its the treated tin foil trick- does it ring true that the towell is used in this- probably to protect the hands?

Probably. When it was done as a magic or mental trick, a very small piece of foil was used (often the foil wrapping from a stick of gum). The spectator held the foil as it heated and virtually always had to drop it when it got too hot.

Babylon Sister
31st March 2006, 08:51 AM
What's the "it" you're referring to, the water, the towel, or the foil?

I meant the foil. It was just a WAG.

I think Bob Klase is probably closer to the explanation than I was. I know zero about magic.

Arkan_Wolfshade
31st March 2006, 08:56 AM
Or, it may be a combination of water and toilet bowl cleaner. Who hasn't made backyard bombs out of toilet bowl cleaner, aluminum foil, and a 2 litre pop bottle?

Azrael 5
31st March 2006, 10:45 AM
Yes it was called Hypno Heat and is pretty much banned,although I do know a magic dealer who sells it still.

Checkmite
31st March 2006, 10:48 AM
You can acheive the same thing by using dust filed off the dry chemical element in an MRE heater.

casebro
31st March 2006, 10:58 AM
We used to make hydrogen ballons with aluminum foil and Lye. Mix the lye with water in a soda bottle, stick some rolled up aluminum foil in and snap a condom over the top. It will fill fast, and rapidly melt the 'ballon' of you didn't pull it off. Then attach a piece of string with a glob of model airplane glue on it as a wick. It would rise 'til the fire ran up the string, and then eplode in a fire ball. Neat fun 'til one of the neighborhood biddies though her powerlines had exploded and called the utility company. About then the bottle got so hot it busted too.

Good thread, brings back good memories, as well as jogging my mind- I knew that I knew how the 'touchless massage' guy did his hot towel trick, I just couldn't remember. Aaahh, better living through chemistry!

JPK
31st March 2006, 10:59 AM
If you spray oven cleaner on aluminum foil it will also get hot and begin to smoke.
JPK

JohnboyMN
31st March 2006, 11:34 AM
Aside from proving how the trick was done, could you ask this person what link there is between "magically" heating some water and curing cancer?

CriticalThanking
31st March 2006, 02:34 PM
Or, it may be a combination of water and toilet bowl cleaner. Who hasn't made backyard bombs out of toilet bowl cleaner, aluminum foil, and a 2 litre pop bottle?
[backing away]
You're engaging in sheer speculation. I was nowhere near there when it happened. My dad's a lawyer.

[runs like heck...]

Oh dear. I had almost forgotten that little escapade. I think my backside stopped glowing a decade or so after dad found out...

CT

Dogdoctor
31st March 2006, 04:02 PM
I googled and found this http://www.science.ca/askascientist/viewquestion.php?qID=884