PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe: "Bush bypasses hundreds of laws"

Mercutio
30th April 2006, 07:19 AM
On today's front page. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/)
Bush is the first president in modern history who has never vetoed a bill, giving Congress no chance to override his judgments. Instead, he has signed every bill that reached his desk, often inviting the legislation's sponsors to signing ceremonies at which he lavishes praise upon their work.
Then, after the media and the lawmakers have left the White House, Bush quietly files ''signing statements" -- official documents in which a president lays out his legal interpretation of a bill for the federal bureaucracy to follow when implementing the new law. The statements are recorded in the federal register.
In his signing statements, Bush has repeatedly asserted that the Constitution gives him the right to ignore numerous sections of the bills -- sometimes including provisions that were the subject of negotiations with Congress in order to get lawmakers to pass the bill. He has appended such statements to more than one of every 10 bills he has signed.

BPSCG
30th April 2006, 07:24 AM
On today's front page. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/)Sounds like a tactic to replace impoundment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impoundment).

Mercutio
30th April 2006, 07:30 AM
I forget, what was the tactic Quayle used under Bush I?

shemp
30th April 2006, 07:39 AM
This is an example of why, when I pick up my Sunday Globe (yes, they actually do still print these things on paper!) I go staight to the sports section (the Sox finally got the bats going last night). I can't handle this kind of stuff until at least 2 p.m.

Mark
30th April 2006, 07:55 AM
This is an example of why, when I pick up my Sunday Globe (yes, they actually do still print these things on paper!) I go staight to the sports section (the Sox finally got the bats going last night). I can't handle this kind of stuff until at least 2 p.m.

Doesn't bother me that much...when a rattlesnake bites someone it is just doing what rattlesnakes do. No surprise there.

What frustrates me is the number of people who will still support this man no matter what he does. It's scary.

Random
30th April 2006, 07:57 AM
These signing statements are a whole lot easier than vetos. Why spend all that time negotiating with Congress when you can simply let Congress do whatever they want, then ignore them?

webfusion
30th April 2006, 08:22 AM
These signing statements are a whole lot easier than vetos. Why spend all that time negotiating with Congress when you can simply let Congress do whatever they want, then ignore them?

Like a lot of marriages.

BPSCG
30th April 2006, 08:34 AM
The obvious question: If someone thinks it's unconstitutional, why isn't the issue in the courts?

Random
30th April 2006, 08:55 AM
The obvious question: If someone thinks it's unconstitutional, why isn't the issue in the courts?
A couple of reasons:

1) Who's going to take him to court? The House and Senate are in GOP hands until the November election, most of these signing statements are issued in regards to National Security issues where we don't know who is getting affected, and as upset as liberals may be about all this nosense, we might not have any standing.

2) The signing statements are meaningless, only the actions of Bush matter. If Bush writes a letter saying he can break the law, and he breaks the law, then we would go after him for breaking the law, not writing the letter. He can write as many letters as he wants. He can write a letter declaring that he lives in a nutshell and is the king of infinite space. Nothing illegal there. If he attempts to use the letter to defend his actions, then we can explain that it is worthless.

3) Because it's just too stupid. These signing statements have no legal authority under the Constitution. It's like a budget request for "a hundred bazillion dollars", or if Bush started signing all his bills into law as "John Doe". Bush signed a meaningless piece of paper, let's take him to court! How do you punish someone for signing a meaningless piece of paper?

gnome
30th April 2006, 09:29 AM
Doesn't bother me that much...when a rattlesnake bites someone it is just doing what rattlesnakes do. No surprise there.

What frustrates me is the number of people who will still support this man no matter what he does. It's scary.
Because the lower he sinks, the lower they drop their expectations of his Democrat rivals?

Mark
30th April 2006, 06:05 PM
Because the lower he sinks, the lower they drop their expectations of his Democrat rivals?

Well, yeah. No matter how badly he screws up, no matter how corrupt the Republican rule becomes, no matter how much they hate what happens...they will always hate the Democrats more.

Tony
30th April 2006, 09:53 PM
Well, yeah. No matter how badly he screws up, no matter how corrupt the Republican rule becomes, no matter how much they hate what happens...they will always hate the Democrats more.

They sound like typical fundies.

Mark
30th April 2006, 10:58 PM
They sound like typical fundies.

Well, they are allies.