PDA

View Full Version : Printing the last pages with the low toner status on.

nimzov
9th May 2006, 12:33 PM
Hi.

My laser printer Brother HL-1435 will not print anymore because the low toner leds are flashing.

The last pages printed were fine. So maybe I have enough toner for another 20-30 pages.

I have rocked the cartridge to move the toner inside

Is there any way of forcing the printer to print even if the low toner status is activated ? I have to wait a week for the replacement cartridge.

Thanks

nimzo

xenxabar
9th May 2006, 08:50 PM
My experience with laser printers is just as you have described. If you shake the the toner cartridge (after removing it from the printer), the printer may no longer recognize it as being low. But it sounds like you may have already tried that method.

These days ink jet printers are absurdly cheap. So much so that some almost cost less than cartridges that they include in the box. Purchasing the most inexpensive one would be a temporary solution although more costly, if you really need to keep printing.

richardm
10th May 2006, 08:37 AM
If you shake the the toner cartridge (after removing it from the printer), the printer may no longer recognize it as being low.
Some fandangled printers may have sensors that detect the amount of toner, but most have a counter that keeps track of how much printing has been done and flags the cartridge as empty when it thinks it is. Depending on the printer, it may be possible to reset or disable the counter. Check your manual to see if this is possible. Some printers keep the counter on the cartridge, in which case you're stuck.

Edit:

Perhaps it is sensors after all - this guy has some suggestions. (http://www.epiicenter.com/tips/toner.html)

ChristineR
10th May 2006, 09:19 AM
I used to work for a printer company. The answer is, it depends. Some have sensors in the cartridge, which you can override by shaking the cartridge and getting ink on the sensor. Some have software counters which are reset simply by removing the cartridge for 15 or 30 seconds. In my experience the sensors are not light sensors, but electrical switches whose circuit is completed by the toner. And all of this is actually driven by the printer software, which can ignore the sensors if it so chooses.

You might be able to get a hint from your owners manual. For example, if they warn you to leave the door open for 15 seconds after you replace a cartridge, then you know what the printer is up to.

nimzov
10th May 2006, 09:22 AM
Perhaps it is sensors after all - this guy has some suggestions. (http://www.epiicenter.com/tips/toner.html)
Hi.

Great link, this works perfect! I don't know how many extra pages I can get; maybe 25-50 ?

Thanks Richard and xenxabar

nimzo

jimlintott
10th May 2006, 09:24 AM
Some fandangled printers may have sensors that detect the amount of toner, but most have a counter that keeps track of how much printing has been done and flags the cartridge as empty when it thinks it is. Depending on the printer, it may be possible to reset or disable the counter. Check your manual to see if this is possible. Some printers keep the counter on the cartridge, in which case you're stuck.

Edit:

This looks like it should work. At the end of this link's article it lists the cartridges and the 430 and 460 are both there. Try it and buy a new cartridge for when it really does run out. Get a 460 it is the high yield and a much better buy. It's the same cartridge as a 430 only with more toner in it.

I have the same little laser printer and it has been a fraction of the cost to operate compared to the Epson 820 photo inkjet printer I also have. It doesn't print really nice colour photos though.

nimzov
30th July 2006, 03:58 PM
Hi.

Great link, this works perfect! I don't know how many extra pages I can get; maybe 25-50 ?

Thanks Richard and xenxabar

nimzo
I'm still printing with that "empty" cartridge. I got an extra 150-200 pages from it. These low toner level indicators are a scam.

:)

nimzo

Raphael
30th July 2006, 05:29 PM
I'm still printing with that "empty" cartridge. I got an extra 150-200 pages from it. These low toner level indicators are a scam.

:)

nimzo

I have a Canon C2100 colour laser. Each of the four colour toner cartridges is upward of $200 to replace. I've learned how to first shake the cartridges, and then turn the machine off and on to fool it into thinking there is sufficient toner remaining...which in fact there is- because I get 50 to 100 copies after the initial "toner low change cartridge" message disables the printer.

Does anyone know if this can damage the machine?

Rat
30th July 2006, 06:15 PM
People always ring me (IT support) when the HP5000 Lasetjets and 5100s come up with "Toner low" messages. I almost always tell them to ring me back when they actually start printing badly. Changing a cartridge is a 30-second job, but when you can get another couple of hundred pages out, the pain when it does go is worth it.

Cheers,
Rat.

nimzov
30th July 2006, 06:18 PM
IDoes anyone know if this can damage the machine?
I don't know. But I use to own a LaserJet IIP and I would print till some character would not to show on the printed page.

It did not damage the printer. But with new technologies you never know.

nimzo

webfusion
2nd August 2006, 10:14 PM
My printer actually exploded when I ignored the warning --

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/pics/outofthetrees/14%20-%20Virtually%20Exploding.jpg

richardm
3rd August 2006, 04:16 AM
Does anyone know if this can damage the machine?

Thinking about the way laser printers work, I don't really see how it could. It's not like an inkjet where running it without ink can damage the printhead. I wouldn't take my word for it though :D