PDA

View Full Version : Radiation poisoning feared from Iraq looting

subgenius
13th May 2003, 01:49 PM
Doctors fear that hundreds of Iraqis are suffering from radiation poisoning after widespread looting .....
Seven nuclear facilities have been damaged or effectively destroyed by ransackers since the end of the war last month. Technical documents, sensitive equipment and barrels containing radioactive material are thought to have been stolen.
Alarmed by the reports, IAEA Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei sent a letter last week to reiterate earlier demands that the United States grant the agency access to Iraq's nuclear sites, but so far there has been no response.
Mohammed Zaidan, the former chief agricultural engineer at Tuwaitha, said he visited the plant with Hamid Al Bahli, a nuclear scientist, on April 7 when American troops were approaching from the south.
The soldiers, he said, assured the men they would secure Tuwaitha, but two weeks later they returned to find there were no Americans, only hundreds of people looting the facility and dogs rolling around in spilled uranium oxide.
"The soldiers had promised us they would secure the site but they did not and we wonder why," he said.

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20030513-5521632.htm

We appear to be doing a bad job in this area.

I still am waiting to hear of outbreaks of disease from when the labs were looted and they carted off all kinds of disease filled test tubes and equipment.:eek:

Jim_MDP
13th May 2003, 02:44 PM
Their population may not be as educated as say, Iran but, DAMN, how stupid do you have to be to go rooting around nuke/bio facilities?

Thumbo
13th May 2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by JamesMGMDP
Their population may not be as educated as say, Iran but, DAMN, how stupid do you have to be to go rooting around nuke/bio facilities?
Stupid? Perhaps. But maybe they were never told that the sites were nuclear facilities or that seriously nasty stuff was being stored there.

If I were am evil despotic ruler trying to run a clandestine nuclear program, I wouldn't tell the local community much about it.

subgenius
13th May 2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by JamesMGMDP
And desperate. They used the barrels for food and water.

I haven't heard an adequate explanation from our people for why we didn't secure the locations.
No guessing please.

Agammamon
13th May 2003, 03:52 PM
On the other hand (and I'm giving into my cruel streak here) they are looters.

subgenius
13th May 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Agammamon
On the other hand (and I'm giving into my cruel streak here) they are looters.
Ever wonder how desperate you'd be before you became a "looter."

Agammamon
14th May 2003, 04:46 AM
Depends on the type of looting. I wouldn't have to be very desperate to start looting food and water, on the other hand I'd have to be in pretty bad shape before I started looting museums or went looking in industrial facilities for basic necessities.

mstricky
14th May 2003, 05:08 AM
ah, so that's where the WMD were all the time