PDA

View Full Version : "country boys" documentary

gfunkusarelius
20th May 2006, 06:46 AM
did anyone else catch this on PBS last night (i am in the atlanta, georgia area, not sure if it was run elsewhere)? it followed a couple of highschool boys living in some rural southern area (i think it was tennessee). i didnt watch the whole thing- i couldnt due to pain- but it wouldve boiled some blood, or at least caused great sadness...they showed them at school and had the "teacher" talking about evolution. now i dont know if the curriculum requires them to teach evolution or if they just bring it up in class to debunk it, but she taught it in the exact manner that creationists argue against it. the teacher really just exaplined the theory of evolution as "darwin says we came from monkeys but the bible says god created man, not monkeys, so the theory doesnt make sense.you have to make up your own mind, but i dont personally think that jesus looked like a monkey." and she had students in the class saying "yeah it doesnt make sense, the bible said he looked like an average man, not a monkey." and another favorite, from the same student, "scientists say that god didnt make man because its too hard to explain, but they say everything is made up of molecules and they cant explain where the molecules come from, so that seems just as impossible as god creating it." i am paraphrasing and probably making more sense than they did...
i didnt watch anymore of it, just flipped back on to see bits and pieces and the flip away when it was too much. i did find it funny that one guy was pretty goth (or trying to be) but he went to church all the freaking time.

Zep
20th May 2006, 06:55 AM
That's how they teach SCIENCE in Tennessee? You mean the dopey rumours are TRUE?? :eek: :faint:

gfunkusarelius
20th May 2006, 07:26 AM
its hard to tell how common this is or if the film maker purposely found the one school in america where they do this, but it was like your worst creationist nightmare. if anyone in that class did believe in evolution they wouldve been afraid to speak up because the teacher was clearly derogatory towards those who believe in it

also, i havent done any research, but te bus said "the david school" so it mightve been some sort of private school for those who dont want their kid's "edjikated"

CP489
20th May 2006, 08:04 AM
My sister was taught the same way in western NC. She tried to argue with me last time I saw her, so I just went on-line and let her read for herself. Took one whole day to undo 4 years of "learning".

gfunkusarelius
20th May 2006, 08:29 AM
wow. i am impressed that your sister was able to be undone. most of the time i think people "believe" these things because they dont really want to learn something different, they just close it off.

This Guy
20th May 2006, 03:18 PM
also, i havent done any research, but te bus said "the david school" so it mightve been some sort of private school for those who dont want their kid's "edjikated"

Here in Tennessee, the public school buses normally have the county name (like Williamson County School Bus, or something similar).

I think it's a school in Ky. -

http://www.itvs.org/outreach/countryboys/pdfs/CB-pressrelease.pdf

That what ya saw?