PDA

View Full Version : A Few things from Canada

Segnosaur
16th May 2003, 01:55 PM
Ok, a few interesting things have been happening in Canada lately:

In a recent refugee case, our Imigration and Refugee board has refused the application of an applicant. The reason? He had spied for Israel against Hezbollah, and as such was considered a War Criminal.

http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=4FEACF00-04EE-4FAA-9F26-C111EB5E579C

This puts the refuge board at odds with the government, who had recently declared Hezbollah a terrorist organization. Now, Canada's refugee process has been a joke for along time... There are tens of thousands of people who's refugee claims have been rejected, but they have disappeared into the Canadian population... And they're worried about a guy who spied on terrorist organizations?

I had heard about another case recently, where the immigration board denied the application of someone who had been a member of a terrorist organization, but a judge later reversed their decsion. (The reason? He had been involved in killing only police and military, and thus was part of a legitimate resistance movement.) Sandly, I heard this on the radio and didn't get all the details... anyone have any more information on it?

In other news:

We had a by election recently to replace one of our MPs in Ontario. The ruling liberal party had held the seat, but they lost the reelection to the Progressive Conservative party. Why did they loose? Our Prime Minister, in consideration of the sensitivities of everyone involved, placed the blame fairly on the person responsible: The past Liberal there who had Alzheimers.

http://www.nationalpost.com/search/site/story.asp?id=9EDB8D57-459B-4406-9729-3D1FFDDA69B9

Really classy there Jean. But, the way Canadians react, comments like that will probably increase his popularity even more.

Note: This probably isn't the most insensitive comment I've ever heard about; a few years ago, some vetrans wanted to go to Europe for a ceremony which involved burying the casket of a dead Canadian soldier. Cretien was only going to provide funding to send a few over, and made some sort of remark about how the "Dead guy wouldn't weigh very much now".

Tony
16th May 2003, 02:02 PM
This (http://host.randi.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=1869910897#post1869910897) thread deals with more stupidity emanating from canada.

Frostbite
16th May 2003, 04:16 PM
http://www.quebecinfo.com/restpoutine/poutine.gif

jaelous?

Tony
16th May 2003, 09:01 PM
what the hell is that?

Frostbite
16th May 2003, 09:28 PM
lol

It's poutine: french fries, cheese curds and barbecue sauce. We take much pride in that over here in franuckia.

rustypouch
16th May 2003, 09:38 PM
I've never had it with barbeque sauce, just drowning in gravy. That must be what I get for being a westerner.

I want some now and I can feel my arteries cloging just thinking about it.

Tony
16th May 2003, 09:43 PM
it looks like a heart-attack waiting to happen.

Walter Wayne
16th May 2003, 09:47 PM
There's a diner here wher you can get ... smoked meat poutine. What a wonderful, heart stopping, combination. :)

Walt

peptoabysmal
16th May 2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Frostbite
lol

It's poutine: french fries, cheese curds and barbecue sauce. We take much pride in that over here in franuckia.

ah, why does it appear to be covered with live, baby eels?

Voob
16th May 2003, 11:48 PM
No way man! Check out the one-dollar falafels on St. Laurent! I lived on those things!

The last Japanese Prime Minister had more than his share of stupid comments. In the end, they wouldn't let him speak freely at all--always reading of the paper.
Sorta like Reagan, and eventually, I expect, GWB.

Anyway, here are some of his gems.(This is the guy who played his last nine holes of golf after being informed, on the green, about the fatal accident with the US sub and the research boat off Hawaii.)

"At some of the houses I went around to during the campaign, the people would turn and run inside! It was as though I had AIDS! Ha ha ha!"

--On being informed that he had a slight lead in the polls, but nearly half of voters were still undecided.-- "All those people should stay home on election day!"

EvilYeti
17th May 2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by peptoabysmal

Because Canadians are insane?

Frostbite
17th May 2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by peptoabysmal

I think those are green peppers. But I never have it with green peppers. Sometimes I eat italian poutine, they replace the gravy with meatball sauce. That stuff will give you chest pains and a numb left arm.