PDA

View Full Version : Poor Joseph

Jesse
19th May 2003, 05:08 AM
I feel very sorry for Joseph, husband to Mary, mother of Jesus. After all, god did have sex with his wife.

LeFevre
19th May 2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Jesse
I feel very sorry for Joseph, husband to Mary, mother of Jesus. After all, god did have sex with his wife.

Mary was a virgin, right? Was she really married to Joseph then, if they did not consummate? Is that something the Jews required back then for a marriage to be completed?

Robman75
19th May 2003, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't feel TOO bad for him, after all, how many fathers get to raise the son of god as their own. You do have to wonder about the religious conversations in that household when young Joshua came into his own, though. Can't imagine the folks took too well to his ideas on Judaism.

Also, and please forgive me for referencing without notation, I do believe the Bible makes reference to Jesus's siblings. So Joseph got lucky after all. Though he might have to have words with the big guy (and Mary) on extramarital affairs.

LeFevre
19th May 2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Robman75
I wouldn't feel TOO bad for him, after all, how many fathers get to raise the son of god as their own. You do have to wonder about the religious conversations in that household when young Joshua came into his own, though. Can't imagine the folks took too well to his ideas on Judaism.

Also, and please forgive me for referencing without notation, I do believe the Bible makes reference to Jesus's siblings. So Joseph got lucky after all. Though he might have to have words with the big guy (and Mary) on extramarital affairs.

You have your trinity, and then you have Mary, Joseph, and God in a threesome :eek:

Megalodon
19th May 2003, 06:31 AM
It was a sunny day in Heaven, and all the saints were outside shooting plates, just for fun.

St.Peter remembered everybody that at noon they had to stop, because the Holy Spirit would take the form of a dove and, with a olive branch on His beak, fly across Heaven in a message of Peace.

Noon came, and all the saints came to their knees. A pure white dove appeared in the horizon, and flew in their direction.

Suddenly, a shot was heard, and the Holy dove turned into a cloud of pink feathers...

Every eye turned to St Joseph, smoking shotgun in his hand, big grin on his face.

"Somethings..." he said "... a man just can't forget."

ceo_esq
19th May 2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by LeFevre
Mary was a virgin, right? Was she really married to Joseph then, if they did not consummate? Is that something the Jews required back then for a marriage to be completed?

Possibly it was not absolutely required, since the Dead Sea scrolls suggest that some married couples in the Qumran community took vows of abstinence.

On the other hand, lots of Christians believe that Mary and Joseph consummated their marriage after the birth of Jesus.

The Catholics, of course, believe that Mary spent her whole life as a virgin. Apparently the early Church debated the marital consummation issue quite vigorously. Here's an essay I came across that tries to explain the upshot:

http://www.dwc.org/questions/Marriage/Virgin.htm

arcticpenguin
19th May 2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Robman75
I
Yes it does, and the wording is pretty clear, although the Catholics prefer for some reason to translate it as "cousins".

justsaygnosis
19th May 2003, 01:31 PM
It's like feeling bad for Wile E Coyote.
If he were real he'd be hunting attainable game.

Jesse
20th May 2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by justsaygnosis
It's like feeling bad for Wile E Coyote.
If he were real he'd be hunting attainable game. I might feel even sorrier for him than I do for Joseph.