PDA

View Full Version : Corruption in Victorian Police Force!

a_unique_person
28th June 2006, 02:04 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/27/1151174201982.html

Two Victorian policemen are being investigated over their connection to a lucrative hot dog business that makes up to $10,000 each weekend. St Kilda senior sergeant Rick Lewis and Oakleigh detective sergeant David Brodie are believed to be involved in Shot Dogs, which operates vans outside some of Melbourne's most popular night spots.
A Victoria Police spokeswoman confirmed that the ethical standards department was probing claims that Shot Dogs paid off-duty officers cash to sell hot dogs and marked police cars had been seen delivering bread rolls and other food to vans when supplies ran low.

And I thought we had a clean police force over here.

richardm
28th June 2006, 02:24 AM
Oh, I thought this was going to be some sort of Crinolene Hoop protection racket. Never mind.

Darat
28th June 2006, 02:39 AM
(My first thought was that this should be in the "history..." section.)

I'd say it's just that corruption is part of human society, to me it's always more astonishing to find an organisation or part of society where there isn't corruption.

It seems to me that a lot of people like to bury their heads in the sands regarding this type of "bad" behaviour, I've been involved in a lot of work that revolves around creating new organisations and am always amazed how reluctant people are to be upfront about potential issues like corruption.

Zep
28th June 2006, 02:43 AM
Well, the Yank coppers have the doughnut-and-coffee business all sewn up...

:D

Skeptic
28th June 2006, 07:43 AM
Two Victorian policemen are being investigated over their connection to a lucrative hot dog business that makes up to $10,000 each weekend.

$10,000 a weekend??? How many hot dogs do they sell?

Beerina
28th June 2006, 08:03 AM
Given the areas "around hot spot night clubs" probably need extra protection, a few squad cars blowing through to drop off buns is probably just what the doctor ordered.

Rats, when I read the title of this thread, I thought it was police abusing laws. How disappointing it's just mundane overlapping of moonlighting jobs.

Beerina
28th June 2006, 08:07 AM

That did occur to me, too. Sounds like a laundering scheme for drug money. But, not owning a hot dog stand outside hot events, I have no clue how much it would bring in. If that's gross sales, generated primarily Friday and Saturday nights, that's about $5,000 per night, or 2000 dogs @$2.50.

brodski
28th June 2006, 08:09 AM
It's only around $7,000 US, and it does appear to be related to a fleet of hotdog vans, not just one van.

Seismosaurus
28th June 2006, 10:01 AM

Five. They're just really, really big ones...

Tony
28th June 2006, 10:46 AM
Police need permission to engage in outside work. The hot dog business started more than a decade ago and has six vans near venues including the Palace and the George in St Kilda and the Motel and the Marquee Club in South Melbourne. The Age has also been told that Shot Dogs bought underworld figure Michael Marshall's hot dog van after he was gunned down outside his South Yarra home in October 2003. Police believe Marshall also used his business, Love Dogs, based outside the Motel nightclub, as a front to sell amphetamines.

The Aussie hot dog business sounds pretty dangerous.

brodski
28th June 2006, 11:20 AM
The Aussie hot dog business sounds pretty dangerous. bah, not as dangerous as the ice cream trade in Glasgow...